• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Finder (The original finder thread)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Nessby seems to have one of the best Ganons I´ve seen, and definetly the BEST pichu out there, even though I base my opinion on only 1 vid but still...

A sidekick for Ness?
My suggestion is Doctor. He does pretty well against most of the cast, isn´t technically too hard so you can focus on mindgames in battle (well you can disagree here whether or not fox takes so much concentration that it´s hard to focus on your opponent) and has much similarities with Ness and throws, size, WD.. though his smashes are superior compared to Ness and hos aerials are a bit different...
The only problem might be marth, But if you practise ALL the tricks you can do against him with doc. it can be quite even.
Doc. kills sheik :)

Then if you don´t mind practising Fox... go with him. He is "the ultimate everything" anyway :p

dan. Ness weighs 94. Where as Doc. weighs 100... not a big difference. I think Ness weighs pretty much for his size so it´s a + for him :)

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
As to the backup thing. Personally I'd say Doc was the best choice as Vilness said. But I would recommend Samus. With Samus you are on the complete opposite of the spectrum.

You can spam.
You finally have a god like recovery.
Personally with Samus I find no problem with Link and Mario.
Some against a good Marth.

Basically you'll turn your game on it's head and be playing completely different. It'll throw people off.

Thats just my 2 cents.

dan smith

Smash Champion
SSB3...where are yououou??

I want more characters....ahhh...

The only person I can really stand to play is Ness...everybody else...just isn't right.

I need Poo...

MediocreGamer

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to assume it's not too off topic to not post my location..heh
North America-USA-Colorado-Colorado Springs

I am DESPERATE for people to play against, since the only two I can play are a fairly good Samus, and a good Mewtwo..and I don't play them often, can't even count my sister, who is a mediocre Falco.

MediocreGamer

Smash Cadet
Aww, dangit. I'm not the most mobile person in the world is the problem, if you were in Colorado Springs, I could probably get to you, but..well my parents *cough* can be very annoying about me going to meet friends...*oughnumberaddressfriendsparentsnamesetccough*..It turns out to be more of a hassle, but if you ever organize that Ness tourney, expect me to be there!

dan smith

Smash Champion
CO Tourney.

Haha, alright. If there is ever a tourney near you that you are going to, you should tell me too. I might make a journey to play in it.

MediocreGamer

Smash Cadet
Sure! Heck, we could be on a team if we could figure out who each other are..XD. Heh, a Ness team..that'd be something to make people cry. (Imagine's the possibilities) Like maybe one holds them in place with a PK Fire+Grab (Hit them with the PK Fire, then DG them) wshile the other bursts with a PK Flash. Heh, good stuff.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Long lasting.

PK Flash + PSI Magnet = lots of life.

It sounds like it takes a lot of time but it's not that hard to settup.

MediocreGamer

Smash Cadet
Really? Because I keep getting this feeling that Friendly Fire would have to be on in that case, and yes, it does NOT sound very risky, because one Ness can PSI Magnet, while the other uses PK Flash, if they're both right next to each other, then it should act as a defensive curtain too.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Hey no-one actually said welcome to Mediocre gamer here!
WELCOME MAN!
we need more Ness players, be it for support or even tourney use :D
Ness teams could be fun and TEH ULTIMATE NESS TOURNEY :)
I´m still striving to get a team up with Ice Climbers. that would be jsut AWESOME!

dan smith

Smash Champion
FFO

The 2v2 tourneys I play in usually have Friendly Fire on.

I wouldn't have it any other way, it keeps Peach teams from spamming DownSmashes like nobodies business.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Keen...

I don't dislike the DownSmash nearly as much as her Nair, Grab Range, or Turnips.

You can usually tell when a Peach player is going to try for a DownSmash and WD outa range. Normally a Peach plays a fairly long distance games with turnips and DAs...if you get to close she will slap you out of her personal space...so when she starts getting friendly and close you need to watch for the Smash.

The Cape

Smash Master
I like to play Ness, he is one of my low tier choices, and I am one of those people who tries to learn everything about every char.

Dan Smith said I should post here, I could help bat ideas around with Ness strats.

Anyway:
TheCape - Carlisle, PA

Thats about it I guess.

Keep that PSI power going boys!

dan smith

Smash Champion
Zooombiess...

I find it's better to play a few character rather than all of them. It helps keep you in top form.

You should focus your attention Cape...on Ness.

(Join us)

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Hum...Nessbounder, a friend here says your from Queensland, is that true? =p

It seems surreal for me, so I don't really know whether to believe him or not, but he is one of the best Smashers in my country, so he's got credibility behind his words for me at least.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Australian Ness player right here (From Melbourne).
Chronos Rainbow (Melbourne) also plays Ness - not as a main, but is extremely adept with Ness nevertheless.

I used to only play Ness against Myst Walker, because Ness dittos are oh so sweet... ^____^ But now he is definently the funnest character in the game, no bull.

Cheer on with the 'Team Ness' in the @M 2-on-2 tourney - invisible trapboxes for everybody! XD

dan smith

Smash Champion
Australian Smash is a world I have never really thought about before.

Myst Walker: Is CJ flying to Autstralia to play you guys?

Mantunas: You live very close to me, you should take a look at the E-57 thread on the Tournament board.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Got a good chuckle out of that.

Dan what is your idea of very close?
7 hours is quite the drive.

Dan you mind changing my name so it isn't Man Tunas

Matunas
not
Mantunas

dan smith

Smash Champion
ANTX: Get the heck out of this forum if all you are going to do is cusion your post count. We don't need scum like that on the Ness Board. That's what the Proom, FG, and UD are for!

Matunas: Whoops!...and yeah, I consider a seven hour drive to be fairly close. There are people driving twenty two hours to this tourney. (just to give you perspective) If you can't make the drive it's ok...but I would love to know about events that happen in your area. My friends and I could probably go the distance.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
Hey Everybody! It's been far too long since I've posted in the Ness room! I miss it so much....:( Anyway, it's also been a while since I've gotten to play SSBM. I had to leave my GC at home b/c I failed a class last semester. :o I live in Stillman Valley, Illinois pronounced El-in-oy.... NO NOISE!!! Anyway, currently I'm living on campus at Northern Illinois University. So, I'm pretty sure that Ottawa is somewhere that I've heard of.... nearby maybe? So, maybe Man Tuna will play me sometime. I don't consider myself to be very good though. I can't shorthop well, I also don't shuffle or do any of the other cool stuff. Then again, I only played Ness for less than a year.... Anyway, I need to get better, and that's hard w/o a GC here. My friend Matt plays Fox, and he's alot better than me, but lately I've been keepin' it pretty close with my Ness. I'm quite random with my style so it's pretty fun. Plus, Ness is just the most fun character to play with! I loved Earthbound, I've beaten it so many times, and I need to bring my SNES up so I can beat it again! Wait.... Emulators! I can just download it! W00t! I've never been to a tournie though! I'm so random! Mayhaps I have ADD? Anyway, that's DeKalb Illinois, Northern Illinois University. So put me on the list dammit! ;)

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Yeah, I actually was accepted to Northern and decided against going there. Dekalb is about 45 minutes away. I've been there plenty of times. Just to let you know I'm not very good either. I'm hampered by a girlfriend who doesn't like video games. Especially Smash. Maybe you can come down here on a weekend sometime and get some smash in with me and my friends.

Vilness retired?!? When did this happen?

dan smith

Smash Champion
He really only played the game seriously for like, the past three months, and the tournaments and everything kinda overwhelmed him.

I have quit in the past though...and here I am...he might return someday.

Matunas and Lt. Killjoy should SMASH together. I think it would be the first real Ness Finder accomplishment!

That's what I'm talking about, this is why this thread exsists.

Durchlauf

Smash Rookie
Huh... It's my first post here.

First off, I just recently got into using ness a great deal, and am considering making him my main. I'd probably use him in tournaments too (provided... I'd actually be able to go to any of them). I'm what you would consider... Mediocre. I can't really perform any of the advanced techniques that well (Wavedashing, L Canceling, etc.) But I'm going to keep practicing.

I also live in Virginia, Spotsy county to be exact.. I wonder if anyone else on this site lives near there, or in the same state.

P.S.- I love Earthbound.

P.P.S- I hope my grammar is okay.

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Dan Smith, yeah, in fact, he's been in Australia for a few days now already, I had a chance to play him in a couple of friendlies yesterday. I also pulled an all nighter that night with a bunch of people who had flown in from all different states from Australia for the tourney. It was an organized money matching night for those who had arrived thus far (still got more to fly in tommorow) before the big day itself =P.

Needless to say, CJ owned, and ended up taking money off like, anyone he played haha. I'm sad to say, I ness ditto'd him, and lost, 2 stock down in a 4 stock match...twice =/.

I guess I just can't match up to his uberness yet. In fact, the only character ditto he lost in was his worst character, Yoshi, to our Australian fumi (Bringer) =p. He owned everyone else in every single ditto lol. His DK is...scary...

There should be a match on DC++ with CJ's bowser and my Ness in it. It's was mainly on request from american bowser players to our resident bowser over video's of CJ's bowser over some dispute over who's the best, so I got psyched out and did pretty badly, oh well =p. After playing his bowser though, and viewing most of america's best bowser vids (Luke), I'd have to say CJ's bowser > Luke's hands down...CJ is freakishly fast with his, the attack pressure is extreme when he's serious lol.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Welcome Durchlauf! You should definately consider making Ness your main, he's a lot of fun. Your grammer is fine by the way.

Myst Walker: You live near Fumi!?! Of course CJ lost that Yoshi ditto...Fumi is the greatest Yoshi in the world. (don't quote me on that)

Don't worry about losing the Ness ditto, I don't really think dittos mean much. I personally always do horrible...I can't play a character versus itself. It dosen't make sense, with two characters you can compare, contrast, and counter. I hate dittos.

I wish CJ would come visit Kansas...haha...it sounds like you guys have had a lot of fun with his visit. He is really good. (with Bowser, DK, or anybody!)

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Haha no, you misunderstood, fumi lives in Japan, and by all rights, he IS the greatest yoshi in the world.

We just have a really uber fumi-like yoshi player here (Beating CJ should give him enough credibility, if our words aren't enough). I'll see if I can get some yoshi ditto's recorded for the fun of it.

I'm just annoyed I didn't get a chance to try my best vs his ness, it's not like his ness was doing anything overly spiffy (just shuffled everything mostly), but my game totally crumbled under his pressure and I started making horrible mistakes =p. Oh well, guess learning to play under pressure is just another thing I need to work on =).

dan smith

Smash Champion
Oh, ok...I was confused. I had thought Fumi was Japanese.

It is hard to describe what makes a really good player, they don't really do that much that is special...just all our offensive. It's smothering really...

Don't worry about losing to CJ...that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Ok, I wasn't sure where to post this since I didn't want to start a thread dedicated to Ness VS Bowser. This seems kind of like the overall chat section of the Ness board so I figured I'd post it here.

I'm not sure how many of you know Luke (GrabfestBowser). His Bowser is pretty good, not CJs, but good. I was reading something in the Bowser section and it caught my eye. Bowser Counters
He talks about how badly Ness counters Bowser.

I never really thought about it before. No one around my area actually plays Bowser for competative purposes. Well thats my point if people actually want to talk about it maybe we should make a new thread.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Ness is fast, strong, and has high priority compared to Koopa.

He dominates him with aerial combos.

That's pretty much all there is to it. I can't say I have ever played a good Koopa though, so, maybe it's not that simple.

Ragnarok503

Smash Apprentice
Well might as well add myself since I became addicted to Ness ever since I started playing.

I live in Portland, OR and I really don't care if you live in Oregon and don't play Ness I just need all the openents I can get. Especially with my main competition leaving for a whole month.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
I really need someone to practice against... having my gamecube with me would probably help that out alot too.... anyway, Dan Smith, you should come up to northern IL sometime and play with matunas and myself. If you did that it would be like the Ness Finder was working itself into a whirlwind of connections! That would be super awesome. Then someday, Ness will be known as the most played character ever.... that will be the day when fish walk on men!

Top Bottom