• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Finder (The original finder thread)

CozaMonkey

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how far away Galeon lives. I live on the west coast of Fl.

I play Ness as a main, along with Falco and Samus, and to a lesser extent Pikachu and Link.

CozaMonkey

Smash Journeyman
Re: ?@_@?

Originally posted by dan smith
You don't play Yoshi?
Well I play Yoshi also, just not as a main. I'm alright with him, but not good enough to do too well.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Cozy monkey...hehe

I think Yoshi's really cool....as well as Ness.

DJCers unite!

And yes, Antx 3 stocked me with Ness...no...let's make it even less believable. Let's say he 13 stocked me...and he used one hand!!1!

Antx is super 1337.

Galeon

Smash Ace
I play Ness usually about a tie with Fox, but Ness more. He was my favorite in SSB and still has his yoyo, so that's awesome. :p

Fox is like, eh. I don't like him that much, he's my tier *****. Ness is cooler by far.

BTW, what is Ness's main form of movement? Seems when he WD's towards someone, he has gaps in his movement and the overall speed isn't picked up as much as other characters.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Moving.

I am usually in the air with Ness.

When on the ground I WD a lot, do a few rolls, and rarely run unless I am simply trying to get somewhere. Like, if my opponent is off the stage and I am trying to get to the edge to hog or guard. They I will run, but I don't really run into attacks.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Mix up your movement...you might have fun finding your self doing all of the following in one match: Run, foxtrot, sprintdash, WD, Long WD, Short WD, DjWD, Dash Dance, Unequal Dash Dance, roll-dodge, walk

I use all those for movement....but if you mean for trying to get somewhere fast....I use WD....depending on how far away what I'm trying to get to is I'll change between normal WD and sprintdash

yeah...variations of WD mostly for me

dan smith

Smash Champion
Zen of WD

DJWD is tight, I rarely do it...but it never fails to suprise.

I still need to work on DD....I get dizzy. haha...

dan smith

Smash Champion
Triangle jumps, big WDs, same diff!

Are you drunk VilNess?

Yeah, I don't DJWD enough...it is slower but I bet it would be harder for my opponent to predict it. (goes to practice DJWDing)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Heh, I wasn´t drunk, but it seems your banners Ness was a bit drunk yesterday from when that vid was filmed :p

yeah I really haven´t practised those DjWD as DjC: triangles to my game much... I usually just jump and land somewhere when I don´t feel like attacking.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
I'm in Germany right now... so there aren't exactly a lot of English speaking opponents to be found :/

D

Deleted member

I'm going to berlin in august for STO5. Coincidentally, I plan to be playing Ness there....and fox, for fox128 to have a demo.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Mow in europe with Ness and foxie? Kewl!

Maybe I should consider participating too if it´s possible.

thanks For the DJWD advices. I should put that into my game to punish those filthy shieldgrabbers!
One thing that also worked agaisnt shieldgrabbers was shorthopfairing through them (doesn´t work against chars with low traction). Even if they shield you´ll just jump past them. I have gotten some free bats with this because they tried grabbing and i was on the other side.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Revenit

Wow VilNess, I have been Fairing through opponents for decades, I should have made a thread about it.

Being SGd out of a Fair in one of my BANES.

If I get sheilded while Fairing I always try and push through to the other side of my opponent, if they aren't used to this tactic they will indeed try and grab at nothing.

I have been playing my friends so long with this tactic they have gotten used to it though and are prepared to turn around.

I usually SH a Bair instead of going for a Bat or some other strong but slow attack. My friends just don't give me enough time to do anything else anymore.

Also, Captain Falcon and G-Dorf have the ability to grab backwards somewhat...as well as some other characters. So even if you are almost through their sheilded image they still might be able to grab you. Watch out.

DW: You should go around yelling "PK FIRE!"...if any Germans have played Smash they will understand! It's the universal language...

Mow: I am happy you are playing Ness, I need a Ness player to look up to. I have no doubt that you are better than I. I've been watching vids of you since I played Captain Falcon (a long time) there is no way I have caught up to your skill level.

You should dedicate yourself and make vids...so I can learn from you...

Anyways: I practiced with DJWDing and it's....ok....

I practiced with UpSmash...and I love it.

Still no glitches though. :(

Peace.

D

Deleted member

I more or less stopped playing ness when I picked up fox, about midsummer 2003. However, fox has given me a technical prowess that is not only very difficult to rival (I stand with aboout 3-4 other US players) but also increased my usage of other chars.

I highly recommend any serious Ness players to use fox and get a feel for his quickness, but it'll take some practice. Unless you already have that raw finger speed....and by all means, use it. As far as I know the only tournament Ness competant player that does not use fox is Bluchu. But ya never know.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Hmm thanks for the fox advice mow.
So you are suggesting to get someones Ness inspired by the quickness of fox and that way improve the speed-aspect of Ness game? Sounds good especially if you have proven that it has lead to learning and getting better.

I´m gonna throw another thought here (which is actually Luke´s thought): Everybody should learn to play bowser. It is not that you would use bowser in tournaments with Ness, but the thing is that Bowser teaches some of the most important aspects of SSBM: patience.
This element is why I was able to beat down sheiks that were pretty much equal to my skills in the first tourney I went to. I was forcing myself to keep my head cool and see what my opponent would most likely do.

And btw. I think Doctor Mario compensates Ness, and I doubt im willing to put that much practise you need in fox to be my 2nd char.
but that indeed has nothing to do with the Fox/ness thingie

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Funny you should say that, Mow. I picked up Fox not too long ago, but I'm still pretty heavily and mainly Ness.

I've got down jump cancelling shines and short hop double blaster. I'm learning Fox techniques slowly though because I spend more time with Ness.

VilNess

Smash Champion
KIRBY!

YEAH!

anyway: I am thinking of picking up Luigi again for sidekick. He is a really fun char with funny style... And like Ness he is a bit unexplored.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Zulu doesn't use Fox. But yeah MoFo does...

I thought those were the only 3 that could use Ness in huge tourneys. =P

dan smith

Smash Champion
Like my avi?

That's only because I have never been to a huge tourney.

I am thinking about picking up my old friend Zelda again.

She is pretty good against Peach, who gives me tons of trouble. The only problem character I would really have left would be Sheik...and Sheik's not that hard.

Plus I still use Zelda as my Avatar...that avi is just too neat...

VilNess: All the Mario Bros. are so much fun...I have always loved Luigi's dash attack...

I have a friend who used to play Luigi...and he can't WD. Isn't that odd? He would use this DownB attack as his PRIMARY move. He did pretty well too, how, I have no idea. Since then he has picked up Peach. Gawd...Peach...

I really need some extra characters as counter picks...but I hate the top tier so much. I once won a tournament with Zelda vs many Peaches but I'm not sure if I could do that now. (after having not played Zelda for a long time)

Argg....frustration.

VilNess

Smash Champion
I played doc against Neophos Zelda and he owned me the first half of the match, because I didn´t know what to do.
However when I started running like a wimp and started spamming pills I started doing better, though I still lost (luckily it was a friendly :p)

Definetly play zelda, you can always change to sheik. I like the style where you switch back/forth between Zelda and Sheik, like against Peach... use sheik at low % (for peach) and Zelda at high.
though I don´t play them but I might practise them fo awhile.

Luigi´s dashattack is pretty...awful except near the edge sometimes or after a dthrow at low %... and even then you´ll most likely do better with another attack...
Sometimes you can do UpB after dashattack though >:)

*remembers this is a Ness forum*

dan smith

Smash Champion
Ness board?

Yeah....I just think Luigi's Dash attack is hilarious.

I don't think I am anywhere near as good with Zelda as Neo. I hear he's pretty rad.

I am really not too big into switching back and forth...although I love the ability. People might not play certain characters if they think I will play Sheik.

I just don't think Zelda compliments Ness enough though.

Nobody does! I wish Poo, Jeff, and Paula were in this game.

They would all be fairly similar in body type...as far as weight, height, speed and other basics go. Jeff and Poo would probably deviate greatly from Ness with they Kung Fu and heavy artillary....but Paula would be a good character to play as a side. She would have some PKs and a relatively similar style.

If they put all the Earthbounders into the next game...I will play them ALL main. And Poo will be top tier. (Teleport Beta? Starstorm? Mirror? Plus physical prowess...he would rock.)

I think it's unfair that people who play Link can play Y. Link...and people who play Fox can play Falco...with such ease. Why play one Mario Brother when you can play all three?

Ness is so alone. Who is the most similar to Ness?

VilNess

Smash Champion
LoneliNess.

I´ve been looking for a char. that´s most similiar to Ness too like with WD lengths and styles and frame info...
best I have is Mario :p .. or Marth, they have some similarities.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Risky business.

Yeah all the Bros. have similar duck heights, WD lengths, body sizes...etc.

They play a lot of aerials and throws too...very acrobatic.

I really dislike their recovery though, I like being able to go off stage a lil'.

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
Perfect

This seemed a perfect time to join the forums. I've been reading them for a while, and i figured it was about time to join. Thanks for the name Vilness. =)

Yeah I play ness as my main, and i'm super excited about the smash scene. Live in Flower Mound Texas, and i'm work on getting my ness tournament ready.

About my style...
I like to use nesses long WD to extend his grab, and I love fighting peaches.

I have a hard time dealing with spam...any tips?

I never knew about the tier list till i got to this site, and I think proving to the world that ness has a few tricks up his sleeve that can rattle any "high tier character" would be awesome.
Anyway glad to be part of the group.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Velcomen...

Why hello there our lurking friend.

The name is nice...

Spam? It's odd...there are so many ways to deal with it and yet it is so annoying.

PSing isn't reliable enough...really. Bating dosen't work fast enough. I usually just Sheild, Dodge, and try and WD my way through it to the source of the problem. If it's a Falco or a Fox you can just put up PSI Magnet and they will come running at you like a maniac because they seem it as a moment of weakness.

I think it's interesting that you don't dislike Peaches...I really didn't either until recently. Who is your least favourite opponent?

How long have you been lurking?

How long have you been playing?

How long have you been playing Ness?

Sorry to as so many questions...but you probably know a good amount about us from reading these boards and we know nothing of you. Our Ness community is fairly small and we appreciate every member, especially the very dedicated contributers on these boards. Hopefully you will become a regular?

Thanks for saying hello, LonelyNess.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Oh yeah HI THERE!

Marios recovery is like only bad at their length but I think it´s okay since they weigh 100, which is more than Ness weighs so they should live up to higher % too. And since they travel a good distance related to tehir falling speed they can recover from far too. Mostly meant Dr. mario and Mario.
For luigi a misfire can save you from almost anywhere.
I tend not to CC much.

"About my style...
I like to use nesses long WD to extend his grab, and I love fighting peaches."

Eww. nice to know but are you a In-your-face-Ness or something more like Nessjitsu? these terms are in NESSBOUNDERS guide.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Edgeguarding...SDs...

How much does Ness weigh? Not thaat much less than Mario right?

And yeah....since they don't get knocked as far the recovery isn't a huge problem, but if you send YOURSELF off the edge...you can get stranded off stage.

I mean like, jumping off the stage to perform some crazy edgeguards or spikes. That's the kind of stuff I enjoy.

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
Lurking...hmmm im not sure i like the stalker connotations of that, but i've been reading the forums for about 2 1/2 months.

Ive probably been playing the game for 2 yearsish... and have been working on being competitive for about 3-4 months, and I've been playing ness for the entire time. Ness has been my main since I unlocked him on the N64 game.

Ok, about the player i like playing against the least that would probably be either links, marths, or marios. This may sound crazy, but let me explain. My brother plays fox and shiek, and i am so used to the mind games that I wouldn't be surprised by much. So these are the players I've played least against. Mario and link get to me because Im not very good against spam...and marth is marth. Ness has no priority over that long sword.

Spam kicks me just because im the people i play against dont do it...So im not used to it...but i hope that will be a very easy obstacle to pass.

Im working on building a second for me, but i wanted to choose a high tier as my second, and i dont like playing as shiek marth or fox...so im considering falco...but he has the same problems as ness getting back to the stage. So i dont know...but everyone needs a second right.?

Sorry This is so long but I just wanted to give you a better idea about my style. Lets see i can wave dash L cancel shuffl umm..one surprising thing about my game that makes me unique is im not afraid to wait till the last secong to pk missile...even to the point where im under the stage..and i ride the wall back up...its a mental game..usualy people think you're dead and wont do anything to prevent you from getting back... its a risk.. but whatev.

OK yeah i know playing against peaches is scary..fast grabs...turnips...float cancels...but ness owns her. Fair breaks every single one of her attacks. Which can be chained to dairs...and bair uairs ...bats whatever. Just gotta use mind games and sparkle priority. Also at moast...i got a couple of peaches caught in chains of pk thunders because they are floaty and the stun works against them. Yeah this is immature and annoying but it shakes them up.

Yeah MOAST rocked...didnt get to stay for 1v1s though. And i didnt mack it very far in the other parts... but me and my partner stand a decent chance...we are working on training, and I low tier i got killed by a link...like i said i hate links.

Vilness's question about what style ness am i...I am alternate between fujitsu ness and in your face... its more fun to play fujitsu, but sometimes you gotta change style as a mindgame on its own...

My currunt ness fav. video is the one on Capt. Jacks site that plays the fumi yoshi..its sweet.

DC++ crashed my computor so i cant do that.. any other alternatives would be apreciated.

So thats my story and all about me.

any more q's?

dan smith

Smash Champion
Nessby

It makes sense that you hate Marth...and Mario/Link are both very good. Mario is a really good character.

Spam is hardly something you can get past with any ease...all you can really do is jump over it all, dodge it, and then beat up the person.

I don't exactly know what advice to give except practice dodging and stuff. Mario Fireballs are very annoying and Link can cause a whole storm of projectiles. Hmmm...you might have more answers than I do.

I dunno about playing Falco as your second, I mean, you can probably handle the way he moves just fine...but I wouldn't say you HAVE to have a second character.

Originally posted by LonelyNess
OK yeah i know playing against peaches is scary..fast grabs...turnips...float cancels...but ness owns her. Fair breaks every single one of her attacks. Which can be chained to dairs...and bair uairs ...bats whatever.
I find in these situations the Peach will usually throw out a Nair. It's fast and has way too much knockback. The Fairs themselves can be spaced far enough away to avoid this but getting a Bair in would require some close quarters contact.

You went to Moast? My friends were at Moast...I couldn't go ;( ...but they might have seen you. Haha...

That Fumi vs Nessby video is indeed very cool, the one on CJs website. It's awesome that both fighters use Low-Tier characters and are basically at the top of their classes. Fumi is the best Yoshi I have seen by far.

I wish I had more Nessby videos...it's always hard to make judgements based on vids.

Top Bottom