• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Lloyd-kun. No questions asked. I refuse to believe otherwise.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Pac-Man is all but confirmed at this point... we have Namco content in Smash now... and they are from the arcade era... the Golden Age of Video Games... where Pac-Man originated.
The S-Flag seen in press release leaks has become a notable part of the Tales series and Namco will use any opportunity to reference their early days, regardless of who their character might be.
Yes, it probably is Pacman but Lloyd, Klonoa and Cless aren't out yet and, to be perfectly honest, I'm starting to suspect shenanigans. All these Namco references and no sign of a character, I'm inclined to believe they're going to troll us with a Bandai inclusion instead. Watch as we get Agumon, the only Digimon to appear in 4+ seasons.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I can only see Pac-Man having a chance but I personally would want to see Kazuya or Pac-Man.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
You can argue that since there's a bit of CLASSIC NAMCO (SFlag and Galaga assist trophy) arcade representation in this Smash that Taizo Hori/DIGDUG now has a decent shot at getting in. (I think he could be about equal to Pac-Man and Lloyd/Cress now)

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm hoping for a Klonoa assist trophy and Pac-Man playable.

Was disappointing to see Elec Man instead of Proto Man

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
The S-Flag seen in press release leaks has become a notable part of the Tales series and Namco will use any opportunity to reference their early days, regardless of who their character might be.
Yes, it probably is Pacman but Lloyd, Klonoa and Cless aren't out yet and, to be perfectly honest, I'm starting to suspect shenanigans. All these Namco references and no sign of a character, I'm inclined to believe they're going to troll us with a Bandai inclusion instead. Watch as we get Agumon, the only Digimon to appear in 4+ seasons.
im all for agumon pokemon vs digimon i think it would draw in a bigger crowd say if we got pacman

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Nice to see KOS-MOS in the OP. If only she had more popularity in the west. I posted a moveset in the KOS-MOS thread if anyone cares to look at it. ^^

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You know at first I was strongly against any Namco IP making it in, but then I watched the anime and imported the game of IdolM@ster 2. Yes any of them have a 0.00000001% chance of making it in, but there was an IdolM@ster game on the DS. So yeah, if any Namco character gets in, I would pray it be them, cause unlike Goku, Namco actually created them. I think the ones that would make the best fighters would be a Mami and Ami duo, Makoto, or Takane.

Last edited:

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
Klonoa. I feel like he fits in well with the smash cast and has some good moveset potential. Plus he had a wii remake of his first game in 2008 and a ton of GBA games.

I have nothing against Tales characters but I fell like they'd just be another guy/girl with a sword and I dislike the idea of pac man with legs.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Unsure if this has been mentioned before, but the Special Flag may be an Assist Trophy of shorts. Judging by the way Charizard is holding it up.

I wonder if Namco is getting more content in this game than we initially thought...

DreamcastBoy99

Smash Cadet
NNID
DreamcastBoy99
3DS FC
1220-8501-2461
we gotta have klonoa, because if teh big N can revive Mega Man,they certainly CAN revive Klonoa.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I guess at best KOS-MOS can function as an assist trophy. Maybe she can throw out X buster and damage targets heavily.

Last edited:

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
wiiu_supersmashbros_items_screen_77__large.jpg

Someone even noticed the Galaga ships. Can a playable Namco Character be far behind?

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
The S-Flag is an item from Star Fox Assault.... Please, please let it represent that.
403849-namco-museum-vol-1-playstation-screenshot-new-rally-x-enemy.png

Hate to break it to you but that's from a Namco arcade game called Rally X. It's a racing/maze chase game where you collect flags just like that one. I found this screenshot just for a presentation piece to show you.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I'm still a big Klonoa supporter for a playable character as I think he fits well with the cast and his wind ring has some good potential for movsets.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Pac-Man. hands down. though i'd honestly prefer someone like Valkyrie or Klonoa, i would still be very happy with Pac-Man

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman

KOS-MOS: from Xenosaga, a game that was ported to the DS. what her edge is is that she comes from a game series made by Monolith Soft-Nintendo' current 2nd party. and Since monolith helped out with the creation of brawl, she may have a higher chance then ever...

Klonoa: kinda a personal choice here, but nevertheless he would be intresting overall. plus he starred in several GBA games and a Wii remake of his first game, so he has some qualifications.Could this become real someday?
I think Kos-mos could actually make it in. My reasons:
- Female character which sakurai is trying to add more of that gender.
- Its from the series Xenosaga! + Namco being in the development of ssb wii u.
- It will surprise us all because LATELY SAKURAI HAS BEEN TRYING TO SUPRISE ALOT such as Greninja looking like mewtwo in the trailer. So the samething could happen with KOS-MOS. Everyone expecting Shulk but instead u get Kos-Mos. Which I think Is better choice.

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Pac-Man. hands down. though i'd honestly prefer someone like Valkyrie or Klonoa, i would still be very happy with Pac-Man
Was pac-man ever in a Nintendo console or handheld game like Megaman?

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Was pac-man ever in a Nintendo console or handheld game like Megaman?
Pac-Man has had numerous games on Nintendo consoles. Pac-Man, Pac-Man 2, Pac-In-Time, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Attack, Pac-Man World 2, Pac-Man Party, Pac-Man World Rally, etc. etc.

In any case, figured I'd chime in here (since the boards have been a bit boring lately xD) and say that Pac-Man is pretty much the only choice for Namco, especially since they're working so hard on revitalizing the franchise. If Namco gets a character, it's going to be him, which I'm gonna freak out about and dance around the house for approximately an hour after his reveal.

That said, I love reading all these other suggestions. Makes me wish Namco would do their own version of Smash Bros. with all these characters you guys are listing because they would all be great, honestly. :D

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Pac-Man has had numerous games on Nintendo consoles. Pac-Man, Pac-Man 2, Pac-In-Time, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Attack, Pac-Man World 2, Pac-Man Party, Pac-Man World Rally, etc. etc.

In any case, figured I'd chime in here (since the boards have been a bit boring lately xD) and say that Pac-Man is pretty much the only choice for Namco, especially since they're working so hard on revitalizing the franchise. If Namco gets a character, it's going to be him, which I'm gonna freak out about and dance around the house for approximately an hour after his reveal.

That said, I love reading all these other suggestions. Makes me wish Namco would do their own version of Smash Bros. with all these characters you guys are listing because they would all be great, honestly. :D
thanks for making KOS-MOS disappear :(

I agree with you I hate to admit it.
I can see it now

MEGAMAN vs MARIO vs PACMAN vs SONIC

SmashBoar

Smash Ace
NNID
GuardianOfZone3
this is quite a sensitive topic, though I would like to turn your attention to a non-mascot character that made it into SSBB

:snake:

Snake isn't considered the mascot of Konami, nor is he truly much of an icon, yet he still slithered his way into Brawl, disproving the "only mascots get into Smash" rule. yes, it was only because Kojima asked Sakurai, but if such a rule as this really existed, Sakurai would've said no, Kojima even asked him back when Melee was being developed, but Snake didn't make it in because Melee was too far into development, in fact, he was the first 3rd-party character in the SSB series, meaning that the mascot rule never existed in the first place, and, if Sakurai follows the same pattern as Brawl, he might add 1 mascot character (i.e. Megaman) and 1 non-mascot character.

really though, I don't know what to expect from a possible Bandai-Namco rep, and personally, I think that most people shouldn't either (not saying that people should not want a specific Bandai-Namco character in, but they shouldn't expect that character to be in because of it) jumping to conclusions may lead to disappointment, besides, we should always know to expect the unexpected, such as when everyone was 100% certain that a DKC rep was going to get announced in the February Nintendo Direct, but instead, we got Little Mac. but hey, that's just a theory

A Game Theory

I apologize if this didn't make sense

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
this is quite a sensitive topic, though I would like to turn your attention to a non-mascot character that made it into SSBB

:snake:

Snake isn't considered the mascot of Konami, nor is he truly much of an icon, yet he still slithered his way into Brawl, disproving the "only mascots get into Smash" rule. yes, it was only because Kojima asked Sakurai, but if such a rule as this really existed, Sakurai would've said no, Kojima even asked him back when Melee was being developed, but Snake didn't make it in because Melee was too far into development, in fact, he was the first 3rd-party character in the SSB series, meaning that the mascot rule never existed in the first place, and, if Sakurai follows the same pattern as Brawl, he might add 1 mascot character (i.e. Megaman) and 1 non-mascot character.

really though, I don't know what to expect from a possible Bandai-Namco rep, and personally, I think that most people shouldn't either (not saying that people should not want a specific Bandai-Namco character in, but they shouldn't expect that character to be in because of it) jumping to conclusions may lead to disappointment, besides, we should always know to expect the unexpected, such as when everyone was 100% certain that a DKC rep was going to get announced in the February Nintendo Direct, but instead, we got Little Mac. but hey, that's just a theory

A Game Theory

I apologize if this didn't make sense
Does Konami have a mascot character? They've got a lot of great characters, but I don't really feel like they have a mascot. Also, Snake did get in because of personal preference. Kojima wanted him in and since Sakurai and Kojima are friends, Sakurai made it happen.

Far as I know, Sakurai isn't best buddies with anyone in particular in Namco, though I could be wrong. But you are right: we should expect the unexpected. That said, I'll be utterly shocked if Pac-Man isn't the choice Namco goes with for a rep.

SmashBoar

Smash Ace
NNID
GuardianOfZone3
Does Konami have a mascot character? They've got a lot of great characters, but I don't really feel like they have a mascot. Also, Snake did get in because of personal preference. Kojima wanted him in and since Sakurai and Kojima are friends, Sakurai made it happen.

Far as I know, Sakurai isn't best buddies with anyone in particular in Namco, though I could be wrong. But you are right: we should expect the unexpected. That said, I'll be utterly shocked if Pac-Man isn't the choice Namco goes with for a rep.
I'm actually not sure if Konami has a specific character that could be considered a mascot, the closest character to a Konami mascot that I can think of is Simon Belmont

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I'm actually not sure if Konami has a specific character that could be considered a mascot, the closest character to a Konami mascot that I can think of is Simon Belmont
Yeah, same here. Snake is definitely popular, no doubt about that, but I'm sure Kojima was a great help getting him in. :p But that's what I'm talking about. When you think of Sega, who do you think of? Sonic, most definitely. Capcom's a little bit different. They've got such a massive roster of awesome characters, but I think for Nintendo fans Mega Man still comes up the strongest. On the other hand, Namco's mascot and main character IS Pac-Man, even though favorites for fans differ because of everyone's experience with different games.

Looking at this list, it seems like both Konami and Capcom don't have specific mascots. In fact, not most companies do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_mascots

Last edited:

SmashBoar

Smash Ace
NNID
GuardianOfZone3
Yeah, same here. Snake is definitely popular, no doubt about that, but I'm sure Kojima was a great help getting him in. :p But that's what I'm talking about. When you think of Sega, who do you think of? Sonic, most definitely. Capcom's a little bit different. They've got such a massive roster of awesome characters, but I think for Nintendo fans Mega Man still comes up the strongest. On the other hand, Namco's mascot and main character IS Pac-Man, even though favorites for fans differ because of everyone's experience with different games.

Looking at this list, it seems like both Konami and Capcom don't have specific mascots. In fact, not most companies do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_mascots
huh, even I wasn't aware that Chun-Li was considered a Capcom mascot :p I question why the list says that Sonic is SEGA's "current" mascot, though

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
huh, even I wasn't aware that Chun-Li was considered a Capcom mascot :p I question why the list says that Sonic is SEGA's "current" mascot, though
So I looked up the history of the company. Along with learning where their name came from ("SErvice GAmes", back when they produced juxeboxes and slot machines), the article mentions that pre-Sonic, Sega had Alex Kidd as their unofficial mascot during the Sega Master System days.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Kos-Mos could just represent Namco and Nintendo because of xenosaga/xenoblade/ X from monolith soft and guess what the developer of that new game created Kos-Mos also and xenosaga.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
ugh i hate Kos-Mos and the Xenosaga series with a passion. theres way better and less forcefully connected characters they could add.

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Most likely it'll be Pac-Man like everyone said.

I'm just hoping for Lloyd, the Prince (Katamari) or Dig Dug.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I appreciate all the KOS-MOS supporters in this thread. She would be an amazing addition to smash. If she does not make it and namco help with the title after this one, we should all support her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom