• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamcastBoy99

Smash Cadet
NNID
DreamcastBoy99
3DS FC
1220-8501-2461
If klonoa is not playable,i at least want him referenced.
If lloyd IS playable,this might turn into SSF2(minus anime characters)

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
Pac-Man obviously. His moveset could revolve around his appearances in Pac-Man Dash, Ghostly Adventures and Pac-Man World.
I explain a bit more in a video of mine, for anyone that's interested...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129

Well then...

Still think it'll be the Pacster, mind you.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Pac-Man.

Shigeru Miyamoto developed a pac-man game.

So he belongs with other games miyamoto made.

I'd also like Lloyd, Klonoa, and Nightmare just for the hell of it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Doesn't the special flag item bring doubt along with the hope?

Like really, I don't think any company gets summons from different franchises AND a playable character. More likely than not, Pacman will be a special flag summon.

In my opinion, of course.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm going to say this, people will probably hate me for it, but if Pac-Man isn't playable then there's a large chance that NO ONE from namco will be PLAYABLE.

Pac-Man, Klonoa, and Lloyd as summons would be fun.

I'm sure you've all figured it out by now.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm going to say this, people will probably hate me for it, but if Pac-Man isn't playable then there's a large chance that NO ONE from namco will be PLAYABLE.

Pac-Man, Klonoa, and Lloyd as summons would be interesting if they don't have a playable Namco character.

I'm sure you've all figured it out by now.
Bingo. This so much. It's Pac-Man or nothing for playable Namco. (Don't you dare say Lloyd or I will come over there and kick my brony hoof right up your ass)

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Doesn't the special flag item bring doubt along with the hope?

Like really, I don't think any company gets summons from different franchises AND a playable character. More likely than not, Pacman will be a special flag summon.

In my opinion, of course.
I don't see the problem with that, they are developing the game after all

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
let's reverse the situation, huh?... let's suppose that Nintendo is doing a fighting game with just NAMCO Bandai characters! Most of them are mascots, Taizo Hori, The Prince, Klonoa, Mappy.. the main star is Pac-Man, but you can see some characters as Lloyd, Heihachi, KOS-MOS or Ivy,.. whatever, the main focus is put together all the main stars of NAMCO Bandai in the same game... but Nintendo got a chance to put one guest character.... just one; .. who would be? between all those charismatic mascots... Mario? pff.. no, of course would be totally Muddy Mole, isn't it? =P

Freduardo

Smash Champion
let's reverse the situation, huh?... let's suppose that Nintendo is doing a fighting game with just NAMCO Bandai characters! Most of them are mascots, Taizo Hori, The Prince, Klonoa, Mappy.. the main star is Pac-Man, but you can see some characters as Lloyd, Heihachi, KOS-MOS or Ivy,.. whatever, the main focus is put together all the main stars of NAMCO Bandai in the same game... but Nintendo got a chance to put one guest character.... just one; .. who would be? between all those charismatic mascots... Mario? pff.. no, of course would be totally Muddy Mole, isn't it? =P
...I remember this one time, Namco was developing a fighting game loaded with Namco characters like Ivy, Siegfried, Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu and many more. And they wanted to have Nintendo put just one charismatic mascot in the game.

And it wasn't muddy mole.

But Link sure was Cheese-riffic in Soul Calibur 2. No idea how Mario would have played though.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
...I remember this one time, Namco was developing a fighting game loaded with Namco characters like Ivy, Siegfried, Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu and many more. And they wanted to have Nintendo put just one charismatic mascot in the game.

But Link sure was Cheese-riffic in Soul Calibur 2. No idea how Mario would have played though.
And then they chose NOT to make an HD version for the Wii U.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

To be fair, against the other Soul Calibur characters, Mario would have looked ridiculous. It's kind of the same how they used Mega Man and Pac-Man in SFxT. They didn't just make Pac-Man stand by himself because against human opponents, it would have looked really weird. And I have a feeling they went with Bad Boxart Mega Man for the same reason. By that same logic, in my view it'd be weird to see a Tekken or Soul Calibur character in Smash. Visually it would be out of place, much how Snake felt out of place in Brawl.

Pac-Man or Klonoa would definitely fit into Brawl far better, but I still say if Namco had to choose just one, they'd go with their mascot.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I just cant seem to avoid these Namco/Final Third Party threads. I guess the idea of 4 huge faces of gaming squaring it off in battle is just such an interesting idea, that people feel Sakurai wouldn't want to miss out on such an opportunity.

The three big names I keep seeing brought up from a Namco side of things are Llyod, Klonoa and Pac man (people say soul Calibur but I am pretty sure Sakurai said something about not wanting to grab fighting game characters or something of that nature). When thinking about which character is going to be selected, I think its important to remember that it might not be solely Sakurai's choice. If Namco is interested about putting a character in, and Sakurai likes the idea, they are going to want to be sure that both companies get something out of it. This might help narrow down what characters both would want.

Lloyd is an interesting choice, however his importance might be pretty low for the two companies. Tales of Symphonia was a Gamecube game, so its pretty old news by now, and with Namco pumping out the "Tales of" series on other consoles, its pretty unlikely they have a huge urge to push him into smashbros. Lloyd is an interesting idea, but there is really no big reason the two companies would show interest in him. Plus he is just one of many main characters from the "Tales of" series.

Klonoa has it a little better. He is part of his own franchise and is constantly the main character. Plus with updated game on the Wii, and Empire of Dreams coming on Wii U E shop, he has more relevance. While not as likely as the final choice, I could at least see namco wanting to try and push Klonoa and get him a lot more well known to the gaming world.

To be frank though, I think most of us know who the obvious choice seems to be. Pac-man has what the other two dont, and thats being a huge icon in video game history, plus being one of the main faces of Namco. Not only that, but with his reboot T.V show, new games and constant go-kart racing deal with Mario Kart, he has a lot going for him. Pac-man hasn't seen as much love as say Sonic or Megaman, but he is very well known, has a pretty big following behind him and would make perfect sense for Namco to push. If Namco was able to convince Sakurai to put their mascot Pacman in Smashbros, it would practically be saying that Pac-man is on the same level as Megaman, Sonic and Mario, which is exactly the reason I think Namco would offer him first.

For Smashbros, it would complete the "4 faces of gaming" circle everyone seems to want to see, and for Namco, it would greatly increase their mascots and their companies popularity.

If we get a Namco rep, Pac-man is what I expect. The runner up being Klonoa (though he isn't as well known). Lloyd in my eyes, has little going for him. Not saying I don't think he would be a good character, just that his chances aren't nearly as strong when pitted against the other two.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I think Lloyd would be considered before Klonoa
I just dont see to much of a reason for Namco to push for him, or even Nintendo to. The Tales series has tons of different iterations, each with their own main heros. Lloyd is just one of plenty in that regard, and the fact that he was way back on the Gamecube, where the other two have kept with up with the new consoles. Klonoa and Pac-man are at least constantly the main protag of their games.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I suppose that would help him. To be truthful, I dont know if either hold a candle up to Pac-man in terms of chances to get in, but then who knows.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Pac Man seems so boring. So i'd rather we have someone else, or no Namco character at all. The character that I would want most would be from there Rhythym game IP IdolM@ster, but they haven't been a huge thing for Nintendo (they had only one game) and for some odd reason they are only Japan only. (Still makes no sense to me.) Even though Pac Man does seem the most likely I think Sakurai would want a character that really is different from the rest of the cast. Mega Man has his various moves from all of the bosses and stuff, Snake focused on weaponry that other fighters didn't have, and Sonic focused on all the spin moves. From that video posted above, he says almost after every attack "It would work similarly to" which means he'd just pretty much be a mish-mash of various characters, which would really bother me. Out of the Namco characters with the best three chances (Kolona, Lloyd, and Pac) I would take Kolona because I know Lloyd and Pac don't bring to much new to the table.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I personally would love to see Klonoa in smashbros, but I don't know if he is actually that well known. I mean I don't think he has had that many games that became super popular did he?

Sakurai seemingly doesn't want any normal character to go into smashbros. Megaman and Sonic for the most part a huge. Practically for most of gaming history, they were the faces of the respective companies, which is why Pac-man has a lot going for him. Klonoa, while an awesome character and loads of fun, is just sort of another one of Namco's games. Much like the Link, or Kirby of Namco. Cool, and popular, but definitely not the face of Namco.

Pac-man is a weird one, but he has a few games where you could get creative with his moves. I was gonna draw a compilation of ideas after doing some research on him, but I haven't got to it yet. Even then, this is all IF Sakurai decides to have a Namco character.

Very curious question because I dont know, when the new Smashbros website went up, did they mention Sega at the bottom before sonic was released, or did they add Sega's name afterwards?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

I think you lost the point of my little "simulation". =P... SoulCalibur (II) was a game made by own NAMCO, and Link in the game was probably due to NAMCO request to Nintendo, and not the opposite (the game needed to be attractive for all the platforms that was released, and because this, we have Heihachi and Spawn in the other two versions, aside the GameCube one) and thematic of SoulCalibur series favors characters of Link's type (medieval looking, knights, swordmen in general)....

Now, again, IF the circumstance were reverse, with Nintendo doing a game for NAMCO that features mascots, in the majority of the cast; and if Nintendo had a chance to put just one guest character, of course that would be Mario... is clear; (btw Mario even participated of games that doesn't make anything to do with him, like SSX on Tour, .. but this is another story, anyway).

As some other people here said, I think there's no competition between the possibility of NAMCO characters; Pac-Man is a natural pick.. and if isn't him, wouldn't be anybody;

Without count that the biggest focus of marketing of NAMCO Bandai nowadays is the Pac-Man series,... They would totally offer him to Sakurai; if he will execute the idea or not, we just need to wait to know.

--nothing really against any other character, or their respective supporters, but it's something logical for me;

And then they chose NOT to make an HD version for the Wii U.
this was really a bad move.. loved to play as Link in SCII. =\

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It's mostly because Lloyd is more popular than Klonoa.
Depends on the demographic and people, you're asking.
If I showed my nieces and nephews a picture of klonoa and lloyd they'd probably pick Klonoa.
I feel the nephew might want lloyd more but he may just come off as generic swordsmen to him.
Kid's find cartoon characters/ anthropomorphic animals more appealing, hence cereal and other game characters ala sonic, crash, spyro, banjo, etc.
Klonoa could be successful on wii u if given enough push.
But the younger demographic is just one part of nintendo's demographic, but I feel it's undermined sometimes, gotta remember parents just buy nintendo on a whim for young kids and think "Oh cartoon looking characters they'll love it, oh lego games and spongebob"

Oh and here's some interesting tales and Klonoa crossover.

• In Tales of Destiny 2, a Klonoa plushie can be seen at the left side of the character Harold's room.
  • In Tales of Symphonia, the character Presea could get a Klonoa costume.
  • In Tales of Hearts and Keroro RPG, Klonoa appears as a summon character.
  • In Tales of Vesperia, Klonoa appears in the form of a fellowship statue named (C) F Statue. There is also a Klonoa costume for the character Karol as Downloadable Content in the PS3 version.
  • In Tales of Phantasia Klonoa appears as the Statue of Friendship.
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA) (2001) (Exclusive)
Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (GBA) (2002) (Exclusive)
Klonoa Heroes: Densetsu no Star Medal (GBA) (2002) (Exclusive)
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Wii) (2008)

I have an epic post in the Klonoa thread near the bottom of the first page.

http://smashboards.com/threads/klonoa-for-ssb4.337993/

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think Kos-mos could actually make it in. My reasons:
- Female character which sakurai is trying to add more of that gender.
- Its from the series Xenosaga! + Namco being in the development of ssb wii u.
- It will surprise us all because LATELY SAKURAI HAS BEEN TRYING TO SUPRISE ALOT such as Greninja looking like mewtwo in the trailer. So the samething could happen with KOS-MOS. Everyone expecting Shulk but instead u get Kos-Mos. Which I think Is better choice.
Yeah, I'm thinking we will probably see SOMETHING from Xenosaga in the game, especially if Shulk makes it in or we have a Xenoblade stage. Maybe a song or KOS-MOS assist. Still think Pacman is the only real viable challenger, he's much more an icon then any of the other choices.

I wonder if Pacman might steal some other Namco Arcade characters moves. Villager uses balloon fighter's helmet, so maybe Pacman uses Dig Dug's pump?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Namco has had a fighting game with a Nintendo character. And look who they picked...

It's just who would fit in better.

And you didn't mention IdolM@ster in you're post. They are a big IP for Namco....

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

In my opinion Klonoa would be better then Pac-man, but that's merely an opinion.
I think Pac is more likely but I feel Klonoa has that hidden potential, like a slim chance.

Plus his move set would have those Gargo-Cannon inspired hand canons. #Digimon #Terriermon #Bamco

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Namco has had a fighting game with a Nintendo character. And look who they picked...

It's just who would fit in better.

And you didn't mention IdolM@ster in you're post. They are a big IP for Namco....

if you read the post that I mentioned the case of Link in SCII, and the part of the same post you quoted, explicit said that would be a "NAMCO crossover with the majority of the cast being mascots", not a individual fighting series with a cast of majority being medieval swordsmen, you would understand better the context.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
if you read the post that I mentioned the case of Link in SCII, and the part of the same post you quoted, explicit said that would be a "NAMCO crossover with the majority of the cast being mascots", not a individual fighting series with a cast of majority being medieval swordsmen, you would understand better the context.
I actually saw the part saying it was a Namco crossover with a majority of the cast being mascots. That doesn't mean that a guest character has to be the most important mascot of a franchise. For instance Solid Snake isn't the full on mascot for Konami and he is the only Konami character. Megaman, Capcom's forgotten mascot was chosen over someone like Ryu, a fighting character who is still important to Capcom. I'm saying it doesn't need to be the most important character that has to be the guest. It has to be one that the developers see fit.

And I still can't believe you left out IdolM@ster.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'm saying it doesn't need to be the most important character that has to be the guest. It has to be one that the developers see fit.
Indeed does. Mega Man is the Capcom's mascot, was (once) the most requested 3rd party character for Smash, Ryu never got his spot ..even Capcom trying, Mega Man is still a more suitable choice. Snake was a special case, cause Kojima requested directly for Sakurai, (and, of course, Konami doesn't give the deserved respect and support for their mascots, like Goemon and Sparkster;.....I doubt that if Sakurai could choose someone from Konami, by his wish, that would be Snake anyway).

If Smash were another type of series.. with another type of focus, the things could be less predictable in the aspect of those choices, imo.

and I didn't mention IdolM@ster because I never remember of its existence (no ofense).

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
This is my opinion of who is the most likely
1. Pacman, it would make perfect sense to put him
2. Klonoa, if for some reason Namco doesn't wanna support Pacman reboot which is very unlikely, then I can see Klonoa being the 2nd choice
3. Lloyd, he is one of the most popular prootagonist of the Tales series, he is very unlikely for me
4. The rest, their chances are extremely slim and they should be happy if they are mentioned

ErenJager

Smash Champion
In my opinion, (which perhaps is unpopular or misinformed, sorry in advance)

I believe Lloyd to be highly unlikely, his popularity is relatively the only thing he has going for him.
I don't think he would bring anything unique or special that other sword wielding characters don't already bring to the table, sans duel wielding, but how different or unique that is, could be debated.

Lloyd has appeared in one game, that wasn't even exclusive to Nintendo consoles, over 10 years ago. For me that just doesn't jive.

Atleast pacman and klonoa have had various titles spanding across different consoles including some nintendo exclusives.

Maybe it's not pacman after all... dundundunnnnnnnnnn, what a twist.

Last edited:

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
old news but pac was confirmed yesterday but it's more like Pac Man and his amazing arcade friends. I still would have rather seen Klonoa

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The SFlag still seems to be an item. So Klonoa and Lloyd could still be in the game in some form.

If the SFlag works like the assist trophy that is.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well I guess this is the end for Sophitia, Cassandra, Yoshimitsu and other Namco characters. Doubt for chances on SSB5. Nice to see Mappy there though.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
The SFlag still seems to be an item. So Klonoa and Lloyd could still be in the game in some form.

If the SFlag works like the assist trophy that is.
S flag, I bet is only summoning from classic Namco games only, so there all 8 bit assist trophy characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom