• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJS

NOT A FINGAH!
BRoomer
Band name/Artist: Peter Gabriel
Album: His third one, which was untitled but nicknamed 'Melt', the album cover is a portrait of Peter Gabriel with half of his face appropriately melting off
Other Notes: Holy ****. Who needs Genesis? Not Peter Gabriel. A fine mix of dark, eerie, and outright crazy songwriting. How many albums have songs about burglary, presidential assassination, anti-apartheidist activist Steven Biko, AND loss of memory? Gabriel's voice is unlike any other, and so is his music. It's difficult to use words to describe this album. It really is like no other album. If you only buy one Peter Gabriel album before God crushes you with his happy thumb, let it be this one.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Indie Emo

Other bands
BAND NAME: Fine China
Genre: Indie/Emo
Notes: I dont enjoy them too much, but for u soft indie fans, give this one a try. It's hard to find them. I was only able to fine them on emule the p2p software. (www.emule-project.com) Also i couldn't find them in story. My friend bought the last copy. Looks like you have to download them

BAND NAME: Slowreader
Genre: Indie/Emo
Notes: This band is amazing. Any indie fan will join them. They have a unique style. Every song is different and all very beautiful. There is a song called Cold Cold Death. By far the most unique an enticing song on th album. I once again could not find them in stories. Ill probably by them off amazon. However until then, you can use emule to download them. They have the full album.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I would just like to second Revolutions's recommendation of "The Arcade Fire". I bought their CD out of pure impulse...

They are beautiful people.

EDIT:

Artist: David Bowie
Album: Diamond Dogs
Notes: An album about Orwell, 1984, re-listening to it at the moment for a presentation I am doing on Science Fiction in Music.

It's so good.

The Arcade Fire is extremely influenced by David Bowie, it's fun listening to them both at the same time.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Not much now, just a few song recommendations:

The Rolling Stones- Miss You
The Rolling Stones- Gimme Shelter
Aimee Mann- Nightmare Girl (my new favorite Mann song, it's groovy and should not be a B-side)
Jonny Greenwood- Last Flowers Till the Hospital (easier to find under Radiohead, I guess.)
Neil Young- After the Gold Rush (his voice takes a bit to get used to, but it's such a pretty melody)
Jimmy Eat World- My Sundown

Neo Debisu

Smash Apprentice
Jupiter Sunrise

indie rock/ power-pop

www.myspace.com/jupitersunrise

check out the songs:
super xray vision, kaye, arthur nix, september girl
in that order

They put on the best live shows I've seen so far. I've seen them 3 times and they just keep getting better.

$sD

Smash Ace
Band- AFI
Other Notes- I just felt this was a band no one really knows about
I always ask ppl if they heard of AFI anf they are like ??????
Anyways there lead singer Davey Havok has been on the downside lately so they havent been doing anything recently.

Does anyone here know of this band?

Neo Debisu

Smash Apprentice
this is the best local band from my city since Mars Volta and Sparta.

Band: Abinormal

Site: http://www.myspace.com/abinormal

Recommended songs: 1. Empty Spaces, 2. Pieces

influenced by System of a down, incubus, and Tool.
definately worth the click

blackmountain

Smash Rookie
It's cool there are so many other fans of Indie on here.

Band Name: The Robot Ate Me
Genre: Indie Rock
Other Notes: Don't let the name fool you, they really don't have anything to do with robots, or being consumed by them, but they're still really good. The songs are incredibly catchy poppy tunes with intelligent lyrics. Some songs have moments where it sounds like they emptied out a toy box and started using the toys to make sounds underneath the guitar, keyboards, and other instruments. But that is by no means a bad thing.

Band Name: Thunderbirds Are Now!
Genre: Their older stuff from Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief is high energy spaz punk, while their newer stuff (Justamustache) has made a dramatic leap to softer more melodic Indie Rock/Pop.
Other Notes: The song titles off of Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief make a very strong attempt at being comical, but often aren't all that funny. Its still good music, but I prefer (and also recommend) Justamustache.

bozorgmehr

Smash Rookie
Most of the bands I like have already been mentioned (Bad Religion, AFI, The Offspring, Jimmy Eat World, etc), so here are other ones I would suggest (esp. My Chemical Romance)

Band: My Chemical Romance
Genre: a mix of rock and punk
Albums: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
Comments: One of my friends recommended this CD to me, and overall I was impressed. If you are into a mix of rock and punk, this may be for you.

Band: Sugarcult
Genre: Rock
Albums: Palm Trees and Power Lines
Comments: I heard about this band after they performed at my university. You may find a few good songs here.

Band: Papa Roach
Genre: Rock (some albums had a touch of rap)
Albums: Getting Away With Murder
Comments: They are an okay rock band (although they are getting more popular with the radio stations). If you listen to all of their albums, you will notice their type of music changes to popular appeal; meaning, in the past they tried rock-rap, while their new cd is more solid rock.

Band: Paul Oakenfold
Genre: Techno/trance
Comments: This man produces amazing techno/trance music.

Yellowcard (Ocean Avenue) is another band I enjoy listening to, but I think they were mentioned already.

If anyone is into rap, I would suggest Jay-Z (The Blueprint 2); I'm not particularly fond of this genre, but this CD is better than most.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I looove Paul Oakenfold's remixes of 'Street Spirit' and the theme from Requiem for a Dream.

Also, I'd like to recommend The Postal Service. I dig 'em.

Best songs (I've heard at least, recommend me some more):

"The District Sleeps Alone Tonight"
"Sleeping In"
"From Such Great Heights"
"Umbrella" (is that the actual title? is it even them?)

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I'm back again, this time with a whole shlew of bands you may or may not have heard of...

Band: The Arcade Fire
Recommended Album: Funeral, their only full length.
Sounds Like: Um... Jesus Christ Superstars?
It's rock music. With several accordians. And a xylaphone. And violins. And an organ. The list of instruments just goes on and on. Very upbeat, with lots of little nuances and both a male and female vocalist. They got a ton of hype because of the score Pitchforkmedia.com gave Funeral and are now becoming much more mainstream.

Band: Cake
Recommended Album: Fashion Nugget
Sounds Like: A 30's Band
There is no way to describe Cake without using the term "Old School". And that is only the tip of the ice-berg when it comes to their general wierdness. From adventures into rap and country, their cover of I Will Survive (which was excilent, I must say), and their biggest hit single "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" which more prominently featured the band members talking to random people than the music itself. The occassional trumpet solos don't take away from it, either.

Band: Wintersleep
Reccomended Album: Self-titled
Sounds Like: Radiohead
Okay, I'm having trouble describing this band, I'll admit. They sound a lot like Radiohead on their first, self-titled CD. I like them a lot more than Radiohead, though, because they break up the deadening slowness with the occassional more exciting song. And then they really changed things up with their second, also Untitled CD, which cranks everything up compaired to their first effort. You can listen to almost all of their songs free (and legally) if you just do a Google search on them.

Thats all for now. I'll be back with more in the near future.
I just noticed all three of these bands are Canadian...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Band: Bikini Kill
Genre: Riot Grrrl (chick punk, basically)
Album: Singles
Comments: These girls basically started riot grrrl music, in fact I think the lead singer, Kathleen Hannah, coined the term. It's basically uber-feminist punk rock. I looked them up after I read that the drummer Tobi Vail was one of Kurt Cobain's teenage **** buddies and had a big impact on his writing and music philosophy and junk. anyways, the sometimes harsh feminist and nihilistic lyrics might turn people off, along with the mock bubblegum vocals of Hannah and the simple sloppy music structure. I love it because it perfectly sums up the underground punk scene of the late 80s and early 90s, which was so friggin passionate. If I'm not mistaken, Bikni Kill was signed under K Records for a time. If not that, then I know the members went by it's credo, which made it a point to put emotion and passion before musicianship and, well, skill! That doesn't mean these guys (girls!) aren't talentless. They're songs are sloppy, short, sometimes quite dirty, but catchy as anything. I do feel a little awkward singing along to the words but hey, that's just a small thing. Phew!

Recommended Songs: R.I.P., Carnival (will be found easier on p2p programs like Limewire under "I'm a dork") , Daddy's Little Girl, Capri Pants, Star Fish, C*nt Tease, For Only, Distinct Complicity, False Start

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Band/Artist: Beck
Genre: Alternative, funk, etc.
Recommended Album(s): Odelay, Mutations, Midnite Vultures

I really didn't know a lot about Beck when I first listened to him, but then I listened to his other stuff and it sort of grew on to me more. If you really want some weird, experimental music, mostly alternative, maybe pop-like or funk, Beck is a wonderful artist that blends many of these genres into one whole mesh. Odelay and Midnite Vultures are really recommended if you want a more up-beat, strange-like music (especially Midnite Vultures if you want a "dancier" beat), but the soothing Mutations is also really good, a little less up-beat and weird, but still good nonetheless.

Songs recommended (any album): Hotwax, Girl, Mixed Bizness, Nicotine and Gravy, Cold Brains, Where It's At.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
ok, to preface this, yes, i listen to very pretentious music, but i'm not a pretentious person. although i guess i have gotten pretty snobbish about my musical taste.

math rock:

sweep the leg johnny. emocore-esque screaming and mathy guitars with a freaking saxaphone tied in. interesting time signatures. influenced by king crimson (someone mentioned them before).

experimental/indie:

the digital kill. one of the most artistic bands i've ever heard. definitely my favorite band out of the whole chicago underground scene. you have to hear them to understand.

ad astra per aspera. predetermined chaos is probably the best way to describe the way they sound. to try to put their sound to words would do them an incredible injustice. a lot of their songs have a bunch of different pieces melded together by perfect transitions. my favorite band out of the lawrence, kansas scene.

unclassifiable:

against me!: some people may disagree with my classification here, claiming that against me! is simply hardcore punk, but they're really not. sure, they have the screaming of hardcore punk and a lot of their songs are very political, but they mix too many influences to count in their music. i love the way they mix almost folkish sounding acoustic guitars with screaming.

the blood brothers. the most blood curdling screams i've ever heard mixed with mathy/noisy guitars. the two singers sound like two demons from the deepest fiery pits of despair and anguish.

post rock:

murder by death. what do you get when you put a guitar, a bass, a keyboard, drums, and a cello in the hands of this band? pure awesome. not only are both their cd's freaking amazing, but these folks put on the best live show i've ever seen in my entire life. they ended their set with "those who stayed" and they almost managed to block out the sun it was so amazing. valoem will testify to this.

emo:

slowreader. simply the most emo band i've ever heard. some people say they sound like a rip off of death cab, but i strongly disagree. they have a more indie sound than death cab and their singers sing much softer than gibbard does most of the time. they only put out one cd, but each song on that cd sounds so different from the last, whereas a lot of death cab stuff sounds very similar. yeah, i know valoem already posted about these folks, but seeing as i introduced him to them, i figured i might as well post about them, too.

you fellas really ought to check some of those bands out if you're into that stuff called "music." some of it might not appeal to people who don't like screaming or can't stand math rock guitars, but i haven't met a person yet who does not like murder by death and the digital kill after listening to them. so, if anything, at least check those two out. hope this helped. with all my darkly obsessive love. joe.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
YUCK Murder By Death. I HATE their sound. But the cello player is hot.

Anyways, The Pixies are my new favorite band.

The Pixies
Genre: I have no idea how to classify them really. Punk/alternative/surf rock is one way, but they're very different and inspired just about every 90s rock band around.

It's amazing that from 1987 to 1992 they put out an album a year, and that every album is amazing (EXCEPT maybe Bossanova and Tromp Le Monde, but they both have long moments of greatness). The general consensus would tell you that Surfer Rosa is their best album. I used to think so until I gave Doolittle a listen. Neither of the albums have one bad track on them (Maybe "Gouge Away" offa Doolittle, but I'm not used to that one). Anyways, these guys rock and they're my favorite guitar band, too. They write THE catchiest guitar riffs I've heard in recent memory. You may have to get used to Black Francis' vocals, they're very unique but if you give them a chance they catch on and they're just amazing and perfect for the music.
Recommended Albums: Any. For starting either Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle
Songs: Gigantic, Where is my Mind?, Tony's Theme, Vamos, I'm Amazed, Bone Machine, River Euphrates (all those from Surfer Rosa), Debaser, Tame, Dead, Hey, Number 13 Baby, La La Love You, Monkey Gone to Heaven, I Bleed, Here Comes Your Man, Wave of Mutilation, Mr. Grieves, Crackity Jones (all THOSE from Doolittle!) Is She Weird (Bossanova), Caribou (Come on Pilgrim)

Phew! Oh and Aphex Twin.

Aphex Twin
Genre: Electronica, techno
One of my favorite electronic artists. (I'm also getting into Autechre and some other junk) This guy is crazy and I can listen to just about any crap he puts out. Hiemie first got me into him and because of him I got into techno as a whole genre. Some of his stuff is your basic techno electronica stuff, but lots of it is really unique stuff you just gotta hear.
Recommended Albums: I Care Because You Do, The Richard D. James Album
Songs: Windowlicker, Come To Daddy, To Cure a Weakling Child, The Waxen Pith, Alberto Balsalm (my all-time favorite Aphex track), Outside Kick Ass Violin Solo (don't know if that's the real name, but I'm pretty sure it is an Aphex song, my second favorite nonetheless), Nannou (my third favorite), Girl-Boy Song.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
YUCK! the pixies!! i HATE their sound!

what do you dislike about murder by death's sound?

the thing i dislike most about the pixies is i think people give them way too much credit. they're not very original compared to real indie bands (june of 44, joan of arc, even q and not u, etc). i just find them musically boring. i liked them for a while like 5 or 6 years ago after i saw fight club and "where is my mind?" was played at the end, but i've eschewed music like that as my tastes have matured further.

even if you don't like murder by death's sound, you should at least concur that their sound is original. tell me about one other band that sounds like them. murder by death even sounds a lot different from other bands in the post rock genre (sigur ros, godspeed you black emperor, etc).

anyway, i'm not saying pixies is a bad band, i'm just saying i don't think they're as creative and influential as most people make them out to be. no hard feelings. joe.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, I can't think of many bands that sound like Death By Murder (The Mars Volta does, I think, but in a more manic annoying way), and I can't articulate what it is about them I really don't like. For the most part it's the vocals. I just hate the vocals without reason. The songwriting and playing just seems too dramatic (again which is weird since I usually like that stuff). Before I ramble the same points over and over, I'm just gonna say that I just don't like it. I just natually don't like how they sound, and they don't really excite me much.

As for the pixies, I can't think of anyone who was doing what they were in their time (mainly 1987-1989) when hair metal was still popular. Sure, I guess you could say underground stuff like The Melvins and blah blah blah but I'll probably just ignore you. But I will agree that they are overrated because I've never heard anything bad about them. Well, except now I guess.

You DO strike me as a little pretentious saying your tastes have matured and you've eschewed certain types of music. As if mature and immature have something to do with music. I don't know about you, but to me music is about emotion and not how mature one's tastes are. I'm a terrible music listener, I think. I love disco unashamedly, I listen to Selena, Cat Stevens, Blondie, , and many other groups and genres I'm not embarassed to admit. I guess some find it strange that I also dig 'mature' music. I love radiohead. I love pink floyd and sigur ros. Hell, I love Penderecki, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Strauss, and Stravinsky too. I don't know what THAT says about me but I like it. I like listening to anything I can without worrying about if my musical tastes are reverting. But this might not be what you're even talking about and I'm just rambling.

Anyways, I'm a little tired to do a solid recommendation so I'll just recommend more Björk, mainly her horribly underrated Medulla. It's close to being my FAVORITE Björk album period, but I dunno. Get it. Maybe I'll review it in the album review topic. Yeah.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
well, i dunno what's happened to me as of late in terms of music. i never used to be so snobbish and pretentious about it, but recently, i've become that way. i guess part of it is i'm sick of having people try to force ****** music down my throat against my will. at least i can admit it and i'm trying to overcome it, not like some of those god****ed emo kids.

yeah, at least the whole pretentious, snobby stuff hasn't spread to the rest of my personality. i've contained it solely to my musical taste.

yeah, i did a bit more research on the pixies and i guess i see a bit more what you're saying now, but i still find them kind of boring, but i get bored with most music exponentially more quickly than most people.

and about murder by death, i don't dislike the vocals, but i have to admit two of my favorite songs by them are "those who stayed" and "those who left" which are both instrumentals. as for their music being overly dramatic, i think that's because murder by death would rather be a movie than a band. seriously.

as for the issue of my musical taste maturing, i meant that i started listening to some things that are aurally displeasing to most people, including myself when i first heard them. i don't really know how to describe it. i guess the best way is through an anecdote. back in the day, probably about the time i was into the pixies, coincidentally, i listened to rancid's self titled cd. at first i hated their gravelly, sometimes screaming vocals, but after repeated listens, it quickly became my favorite cd for quite sometime. kind of the same thing with math rock guitars and the dissonance of indie.

Mewtwo&Roy OWN

Smash Cadet
Band: Max Weinberg 7
Genre: Jazz
Notes: this is actually the band for "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" but they're pretty cool. once they did the Immigrant Song with trombones doing Robert Plant's high note. no actual singing.

Vodan

Smash Rookie
1) Cro-Mags - Hardcore Punk/Thrash Crossover

Their first album, "The Age of Quarrel" is a masterpiece and arguably, the best in the hardcore/crossover genre. You heard D.R.I? Cryptic Slaughter? C.O.C? This makes them look (sound?) like ****! Metal riffs with infused with punk attitude makes for a **** good album.

You can download The "Age of Quarrel" here: www.cromags.com

2) Heathen - Bay Area Thrash Metal

Heathen have released two thrash metal masterpieces in the 80s and then sort of disappeared for a while. Now however, they're back with a new album in the works. If you like Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, Forbidden, ****, ANY metal whatsoever, then you'll love these guys.

Recommended Albums? Every one of them!

You can download most of their stuff at their offical site : http://heathenmetal.com/index2.html

3) Helstar - Melodic Speed/Thrash metal

Kind of the same deal as Heathen's 'Breaking the Silence' music wise but from Texas and with a more neoclassical bent. Great vocals and leads.

Reccomended Albums: Everything except Multiples of Black (Haven't really heard it...)

Their offical site has a few sample tracks.
http://www.helstar.com/

4) Ballistic - Power/Speed Metal

Among the newer metal acts is this gem from Washington D.C. Not many new bands have as much energy as this one, as displayed in their powerful riffs and inspired singing. Speaking of the singing, ****! The vocalist is awesome. Did I mention the bass solos?

Reccomended: the self titled album "Ballistic"

Demo for download is at offical site.
http://www.gattismetal.com/ballistic/music.htm

5) Morbid Saint - Thrash Metal

Morbid Saint broke up somewhere in the mid 90s. However, they released an album back in 1988 that would stand the test of time... Spectrum of Death! This album will make you bang your head as if up from the dead! It has it all... Vicious spit-fire vocals (think Sadus or Sabbat(UK), intense, almost death metal drumming, and the guitars... Holy ****! Can these guys riff up a storm or what? Check out the riff at 1:12 in "Assassin" for example. A True Classic!

You can download the album here:
http://ra.mp3sight.ru/sn.html?al=7514

Bazuzu

Smash Cadet
I saw a few people recommend Red Hot Chili Peppers, so I would like to point out Primus. If you like Red Hot Chili Peppers, you should love these guys. I follow the bassist, Les Claypool, through many of his solo projects (Frog Brigade, Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, and MANY more), and I have liked them all. Truly a great bassist. Besides him, here's a list of artists/bands that I enjoy:

Victor Wooten: Jazz, Funk, Soul, great bassist.
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones: Fusion. Victor Wooten's other touring band.
Bela Fleck: Solo Work, Classical Banjo! You can't beat that.
SunnO))): Destructively Heavy Drone Metal. Like listening to feedback for 45+ minutes. Brutal!
Bloodbath: Like a Swedish Metal/Old School Metal Fusion.
Mushroomhead: Like Slipknot, except more melodic and not as many people.
Meshuggah: Recently did an experimental album, but it's all good as far as I'm concerned.
Weather Report/Jaco Pastorius: The greatest bassist ever and his touring band. Funk/Jazz, everyone get this stuff.
Hate Eternal: More deafening heavy metal
December: Great Metal band, very rare, though.
Death: Inventors of Death Metal. Old school greatness
Mastodon: Leading the metal scene into the next generation, a must listen for any metal fans.
Opeth: Progressive Swedish Metal.
There's so much more, but you'll have to look for it on your own. Go to Metalstorm.ee for everything metal.

Cyris_P

Smash Journeyman
Well sh*t Bazuzu, you have got fantastic taste. I double your votes on Les Claypool and Victor Wooten. Roger Waters is another fantastic basist. As far as guitar goes, I love Frank Zappa and Steve Vai. Some wicked drummers are Terry Bozzio and Brian "Brain" Mantia (Primus). They're all worth getting into.

Bazuzu

Smash Cadet
Cyris_P said:
Well sh*t Bazuzu, you have got fantastic taste. I double your votes on Les Claypool and Victor Wooten. Roger Waters is another fantastic basist. As far as guitar goes, I love Frank Zappa and Steve Vai. Some wicked drummers are Terry Bozzio and Brian "Brain" Mantia (Primus). They're all worth getting into.
Well thanks, Cyris, and you have fantastic taste in avatars. I have seen quite a few Japanese pop bands mentioned, and would like to mention a more classical Japanese CD. The soundtrack from the movie Kung Fu Hustle has great music from the movie (Which is also one of my all-time favorites), and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys classical music. I was also recently introduced to the Black Metal bands Marduk and Kovenant. They're both worth listening to if you like that type of music. Speaking of Steve Vai, he worked with the amazing bassist Billy Sheehan. Billy recently did a great solo CD, Cosmic Troubador, but i can't recommend just one. His tapping style is unmatched and is most prominent (I think) in his work with Talas. The Talas Years has some of my absolute favorite songs, and Billy Sheehan really shines in some smokin' solos. You gotta love it.

wavedasher

Smash Cadet
Band System of a down
Genre EMO music Emotional ex coldplay
Famous Albums Toxicity (most famous)
Comments many songs that are emotional some popular songs: Chop Suey, Toxicity (all on the album toxcitiy voted best album of 002001 a fun band has for people words are somewhat hard to understand

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
System of a Down are the farthest thing from Emo. They are nothing like Coldplay. Are you on some sort of drug?

(Fun Fact: Toxicity has the honor of being the number 1 album in America when 9/11 happened. Somewhat fitting, eh?)

$sD

Smash Ace
WTF

theres nothing emo to soad
i'll have someof whatever your taking! is serious!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The Like

The Like

www.ilikethelike.com
Album: Like it or Not

ok maybe I'm partial to them because they're a chick band. but really, they are very good and just check out the three songs on their site ("Too Late", "Bridge to Nowhere" and "What I Say and What I Mean"). I hope they get a little bigger.

Pantz

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm new here. I figured I'd start out in general discussion.

Shizit - this band broke up a few years ago (i think), plus, they were very underground, so it might be hard to find anything about them now. But I'd classify them as Hardcore Industrial. All of their songs get you pumped up for anything. It helps me play my FPS games better :)

Vodan

Smash Rookie
Bazuzu said:
I was also recently introduced to the Black Metal bands Marduk and Kovenant. They're both worth listening to if you like that type of music. .
If you want some black metal worth listening, check out Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Moonblood, 1349, Deinonychus, Immortal, Limbonic Art, Graveland, Emperor, Dissection, Drudkh, Otargos, Nokturnal Mortum, Belphegor, Lord Belial, Naglfar, Negurã Bunget, Vlad Tepes, and Blut Aus Nord.

Ticadrius

Grammar Hammer
BRoomer
Bazuzu said:
Victor Wooten: Jazz, Funk, Soul, great bassist.
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones: Fusion. Victor Wooten's other touring band.
Proud to say I saw BOTH live, and they were ****ing amazing shows. As a bassist, I was totally floored. He did it all on a ****ing four-string. Wow.

white peachy

Smash Ace
i love all the bass player love.... stu hamm, vic wooten, les claypool, billy sheehan, victor bailey...definitely a style that people do not appreciate enough. (of course i play bass as well).

you can never go wrong if you're serious about music by listening to zeppelin too. the things they did musically still blow me out of the water and i've been listening to them for years. take the greatest drummer of all time, add a multi instrument talented bassist, a legendary guitarist, and one of the best vocalists of all time... you're bound to have success.

a band that i appreciate now that i didn't for a long time is phish as well. i know lots of people think they're just hippies but if you actually listen to the band for awhile you'll see how amazing they are. they are not as much like the grateful dead as people think. while i do like the dead and what they did for music, phish is a far more talented band. trey is a genius jazz guitar player. i highly recommend you buy the album "Junta" which is their first album. like all good music, at first you won't be excited (Pop music does this, but in the end is not musically satisfying, hence the name pop), but after a few times you can see how talented they all are. unfortunately, phish broke up one year ago today, after 20 years. :(

if you're still interested though, trey anastasio has a new band of his own that tours a lot, but is just winding down now.

don't be fooled by all the hippies and drugs, phish is an incredibly talented band and i highly recommend everyone to listen to them. most of their music appeals more to people interested in jazz.

TheDancingHorse

Smash Rookie
Here's an album that a few here might be interested in - The OneUps Volume 1 by The OneUps.

They're a video game music cover band. I got the album recently and can't stop listening to it. Very tasteful music with a lot of real talent. They have demos on their website. http://www.oneupstudios.com/oum.php

Pretty sweet stuff, definitely check em out.

The Dancing Horse

Bazuzu

Smash Cadet
I'm glad some other bass players decided to represent. Bassists definitely don't get the respect they deserve because they are mainly thought of as backup. Speaking of which (gotta love a segway), Geezer Butler, the bassist for Black Sabbath, just released a solo project named GZR awhile back. He doesn't do much on the flashy side, but his style is still amazing. He's got some of the best grooves you can find. A prime example of what the bass was made for. Also, I can't remember if I mentioned them already, but Mushroomhead is also a good band. The two vocalists offset each other well, I think, and all of the instrumentalists have their stuff together. And the next person that calls System of a Down Emo or compares them to Coldplay gets a proper beating. I'm not close-minded, I'm just a big fan of SOAD's music. And am I the only one that wasn't that enthralled by Toxicity? It's a good CD, but I still like their other stuff more.

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
Man. When I listen to The Flecktones, it's all about Bela. I agree that the bassist is harder core than an apple, but I just love the banjo.

The most important thing about them though is that they toured with Congar ol-Ondar! There's nothing sweeter than Tuvan throat singers and Congar is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom