• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychoprog

Smash Cadet
Just thought I'd drop a recommendation for fellow fake pretentious indie guys: Of Montreal's "The Sunlandic Twins" is fantastic. I think it misses on some bizarre instrumental tracks, but the rest of the album is absolutely solid and it hasn't left my car's CD player since I got my hands on it.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've been listening to a lot of atombombpocketknife, the paper chase, starometska, june of 44, and the shipping news lately. really awesome, if pretentious, math rock/experimental.

i've also been listening to some synth stuff. camera obscura and the faint are pretty nice. the faint are like the killers...except good.

also, riding around in my friend's car all summer, i suddenly found myself liking hardcore. i've always been a fan of screaming, but screaming the way the blood brothers do it, or against me circa "reinventing axl rose." anyway, now i'm kind of into all out hardcore. i really dig angel hair and maximillian colby. mathy instruments backing up the screaming. also, i'm liking the locust, who remind me of refused, except on copious amounts of coke and other hard drugs.

for some avante-jazz, check out the mount everest trio. they have amazing sax. the song orinoco is pretty amazing. (yeah, yeah, i know, valoem, you're probably having an orgasm in your pants after hearing them).

also, does anyone here like exotica? what a weird, weird genre of music. i had an exotica song streaming on my online journal (i refuse to say "blog)" for a bit as a joke. in less than a day, i was certain that if i had to endure listening to that song one more time while visiting my xanga, i would go absolutely postal and kill everything within a 100 foot radius of me. the song i posted was "free of ice" by tom recchion. listen to it about 10 times if you want to get yourself really angry at the world. listen to it 11 times, and be so overcome by rage that you start killing everyone around you indiscriminately. you can trace exotica's roots back to the 50s, so i'm pretty sure that it has something to do with some sort of government plot to rid the world of communism. america was probably planning a massive takeover of all radio stations in communist countries and then broadcasting exotica so that everyone in those countries would kill one another. i mean, there's simply no other logical explanation. sorry to anyone who likes the genre. you're probably part of some sort of government mind control plot.

take care. xoxo. joe.

suedoaet

Smash Apprentice
Great song for SBM intro

The best song for an intro to any game that is like sbm is guns by harry gregson. It is the last song played in the last scene in the movie THE RUNDOWN with the rock and it can also be heard from the fake video for the revolution with the virtual reality thing or u can dl it but listen to this song think of what the intro would look like and it is perfect. Every time i listen to that song i can picture th most bad a** intro for sbm and man would i like to see that happen. To be quite honest if i worked with the people who create the intro and helped them i am sure every smasher who love the hell out of this intro. Listen to this song and please tell me what u guys think ok.

----------------SMASH FOR LIFE>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Prostitot

Smash Rookie
Band: The Unseen
Genre: street punk

these guys flippin rock, if you like REAL punk cuz its NOT DEAD.... check these guys out...

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
I know it's not a BAND or anything, but I totally recommend the musical "Wicked" to the sincerely interested. It's based off a novel, so there's some interesting character development. But either way the lyrics are generally clever and musically it's just really well-written. I'm listening to it for the second time today and I keep getting chills or having to stop what I'm doing so I can listen to it PROPERLY, if you know what I mean.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Revolutions said:
I know it's not a BAND or anything, but I totally recommend the musical "Wicked" to the sincerely interested. It's based off a novel, so there's some interesting character development. But either way the lyrics are generally clever and musically it's just really well-written. I'm listening to it for the second time today and I keep getting chills or having to stop what I'm doing so I can listen to it PROPERLY, if you know what I mean.
I got the opportunity to play three songs off of the original score with an orchestra here at Disney several weeks ago (Intro/No One Mourns the Wicked, What is this Feeling, Defying Gravity) and let me tell you, Defying Gravity is the only song I know that has given me chills, ever. When I played it live I almost started tearing up. It happens right near the end, from when Elphaba starts singing the words, "So if you care to find me, look to the Western sky!", to the end.

Today I bought the book, and I can't wait to start reading it.

suedoaet

Smash Apprentice
Music recommendations

Bands: Soulive, Victor Wooten, Herbie Hancock, Yellowjackets, Buddy Rich, Miles Davis, Ray Charles, War, Queen. All great bands Recommended from top to bottom my favorite starting at top.

suedoaet

Smash Apprentice
Revolutions This Is For U.

B the way man i dont know if u know or not but That bassists name is Victor Wooten, the best bassist in the world. U should check out his new SH*t its great. He calls the band Victor Wooten and he goes off like u have never heard before. I went to go see them live last month and it was the best concert i have ever gone to. I highly recommend this to u. Songs such as me and my bass guitar, classical thump, u cant hold no groove, what did he say. U will hear some sick sh*t. all these can be found off these albums: What did he say, A show of hands, and soul circus. He also played with Vital Tech Tones, Victor Wooten and the Bass Extremes, and his new band Victor Wooten. Tell me what u think about all those guys. If u like Bela Fleck and the Flecktones u definetly need to check all of these bands out.

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know Victor Wooten is the man. I was just saying that personally, I think the banjo as an instrument is more fun to listen to than the bass.

Anyway, don't double post any more, k?

If Fantasia agrees, what are you waiting for! Wicked is sweet. PS You are so lucky for actually getting to perform it.

EDIT I just wanted to mention that I'm listening to it AGAIN and I got some chills right at the point you mentioned in Defying Gravity. It's just that great!

Emerald_Dream

Smash Rookie
Band: Dream theater
Genre: Progressive rock

This band is probably my favorite band of all time. The quality of their music is superb, especially the keyboardist, who is my idol! :)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
OK, now that they have an album out and I'm more familiar with them:

The Like
Genre: Indie? Alternative? Guitar pop? I don't know.
Album: Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?
Comments: OK, this is my favorite album of 2005 thus far (second place? The White Stripes' "Get Behind Me Satan") . The Like is a three-piece chick band, who had to release three EPs before they got an album deal. Before, I only knew of three songs by them ("Bridge to Nowhere", "Too Late" and "What I Say and What I Mean"), all of which are great, and on the album. So, September 13th, they release their first full-length album and I get it a few days later, a little nervous because I had a sneaking suspicion that this album was going to be a disappointed. I got it in my head that the three aforementioned songs were the only great songs they did, and obviously I got proved wrong.

So, this is the only album I've listened to this week, and I am in love with every single track. The weakest is the opener, "June Gloom", but it's still a nice song.

Most of the songs are on some platform sandwiched inbetween indie pop and just pop ballads. They have some amaaaazing hooks that have a real emotional sincerity to them. The album reminds me of Autumn, if that does anything for you. I'm going to listen to it a lot when it gets colder out.

Anyways, with all the slower, dreamy songs that are on the CD, I was pretty surprised to hear that these girls can really rock, too. Really, only three tracks ("What I Say and What I Mean", "Under the Paving Stones" and "Falling Away") have a rockin' energy to them, but they rock them like no tomorrow, especially "Falling Away", which makes me want to friggin boogie. And I'm not one to usually boogie much.

Which somehow brings me to the vocals. The lead singer and guitarist, a girl who apparently only goes by Z, has a fantastically sultry, oddly unique voice. It's hard to describe, but it has a certain British way to it. In fact, I CAN'T describe it well so I won't try. I'll just go and say it's one of my favorite things about the band and the album.

But all in all, the best part is just the songwriting. The lyrics are at times clever, but most of the time they just fit the music and the mood so well. They're for the most part sad without being whiney or tragic. They really can write some nice tunes, and all of them are so accessible, if a bit down. Not slit-my-wrists down, but bittersweet. Yeah, bittersweet in a really good way. What a lovely album!

Best Tracks- "(So I'll Sit Here) Waiting", "Bridge to Nowhere", "Under the Paving Stones", "We Are Lost", "The One", "Falling Away"

Actually, pretty much the whole album. Sorry for the essay but deal with it.

Convinced

Smash Rookie
All the bands I am going to list are Hardcore. It's like metal but with more breakdowns and a lot of the bands "Scream." You have to listen to it to understand how it sounds. The scene in general is pretty cool. If you ever get a chance you should check out a show, always fun.

The Acacia Strain
Serious breakdowns, really long and really well played. Sound somewhat like metal or metalcore but have a very unique sound.

Though The Heavens May Fall
Local band with pretty huge breakdowns. They sound like Acacia Strain but more straight hardcore with less metal influence.

There are a lot more. But thats just a few. A good place to actually here what hardcore is, is at purevolume.com. Just look at the top 10 hardcore bands. The list will be askew since not every band is on PV. But its a good start anyway.

LaughingMan

Smash Apprentice
2 words: Applied Communications. The group is with this relatively new genre called nerd-rock, though even that isn't ambiguous enough to describe their sound. And when I say "group", it's actually just one guy. If you're looking for something different, and I mean different, you should check it out.

Bazuzu

Smash Cadet
Alright, I just recently discovered this guy out of a magazine. His name is Brian Bromberg, and his new CD is called "Metal". Don't let the title mislead you, but he performs this solo project on upright, electric, and piccolo bass. I've heard only a few of the songs as I have not found the CD yet, but what I've heard is absolutely incredible.

Other than that, I re-advise all the metal fans to go buy Bloodbath's CD "Nightmares Made Flesh". I haven't been able to stop listening to it since I picked it up. And I was checking out another bassist (bit of an obsession here, with all these bassists, huh?) named Steve Bailey. He performs mainly on fretless, and he is phenomenal, winning the Bass Extremes competition and working with Victor Wooten on his "Soul Circus" CD. Definitely worth checking out.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Betablokka - go to their web site, betablokka.com, and listen to the song "Scared (The Difference Between). After that, you, too, will be a believer.

KLSmash

Smash Ace
Band/Artist: Goldfinger
Genre: Rock/Ska
Other notes: Goldfinger is probably one of the better under-rated bands. They've had a couple of CD's and their last one "Disconnection Notice" came out this year. Most of your probably have heard "99 Red Balloons" by Nena and Goldfinger has turned that song into a great rock song with some German in it. They formed in 1994, and are still going on today. If any of you want to check out the site, it's http://www.maverick.com/goldfinger/

Band/Artist: Mobile
Genre: A little of Rock, Pop, and Modern
Other notes: If you like The Killers or Hot Hot Heat, then you'll probably enjoy Mobile. They're a group of 5 young Montreal musicians which moved to Toronto. Where most other bands are chafing at the stage, blinding visions of performing glory burning holes in their souls, Mobile spent three long, patient years in their isolated Montreal studio rehearsing, never venturing past the membrane of their common chrysalis until they were absolutely and utterly certain that they were wholly formed. They realeased their hit single "Montreal Calling" a couple of weeks ago.

Band/Artist: Metric
Genre: Indie-Rock Chic, New-Wave Panache
Other notes: In the US, Spin wrote that "Metric rocks like a sexy librarian: smart, sassy, and classy" and Rolling Stone said "This...quartet artfully fuses Brit pop, punk guitar and swirling synths, while singer Emily Haines delivers sweet irony."

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Here is a random list of bands I am really enjoying at the moment. Most of them haven't been listed. Waaaayyyy too many to go into detail.

Mew
The Lovely Feathers
Most Serene Republic
M83
Death From Above 1979
Metric
Arcade Fire
Archetecture in Helsinki
Fiery Furnaces
764-Hero
The Decemberists
Brand New
The Comas
The Cloud Room
Built To Spill
Guided By Voices
Flaming Lips
Five Iron Frenzy
Hot Hot Heat
HelloGoodbye
Holopaw
Joel Plaskett
Magneta Lane
Of Montreal
Sleater-Kinney
The Unicorns
Wintersleep
Wolf Parade
The Libertines

KLSmash

Smash Ace
I don't think any of these bands have been listed...so here they are!

Band/Artist: Fall Out Boy
Genre: Rock/Hardcore
Other notes: They just came out with a new CD, " From Under The Cork Tree". Their first single "Sugar, We're Going Down, is a mix of guuitars and slamming drums. "Dance, Dance" starts with a bass line reminiscent of the Cure, and changes into a stomping rocker with an undeniable refrain. Best song, IMO and a couple of my friends'. Check 'em out! www.falloutboyrock.com

Band/Artist: Hot Hot Heat
Genre: Rock/Pop/Punk/Modern
Other notes: Hot Hot Heat, like The Killers, bring back the 80's. They have some really fun and catchy tunes; This Town( Sounds more like a Christmas song to me, for some reason... ) and Goodnight, Goodnight. If you like The Killers, then there's around a good chance you'll Hot Hot Heat. Check out their site, at www.hothotheat.com

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I was checking out the website for the Nintendo Fusion tour, as per McFox's suggestion, and was listening to the sample tracks they have of the bands, and a couple of them sounded pretty good, namely Fall Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco...so, should I look further, or do they suck or are they douchebags or something (because, as the judgemental person I am, that would greatly influence my decision :p).

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Fallout Boy is God awful. Everytime I hear them, I have to punch myself in the genitals to relieve myself of the pain.

If you want to listen to good music, you can really NEVER go wrong with some hardcore Pantera.

REFUSEDx

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if theyve been mentioned but:

At the Drive In
The Mars volta
Refused

Couple bands I like.

chrisbo

Smash Cadet
Amazon.com and Pitchforkmedia.com both agree that Sufjan Stevens's album "Illinois" was the best release of 2005. I tend to agree, even though he really isn't my main music type. I like more British Rock, such as Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, and The Futureheads.

But anyway, Sufjan's album was amazing. It's mellow, folk-ish, and catchy. It's easy listening, stuff you listen to with your feet up.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I DLd some sufjan after chrono made a thread about him, and then I bought the CD on a whim and it has some good songs, and I havnt looked at the lyrics or anything but some of the songs sound like christian music, like singing about God. Am I retarted?

also, is it Suf-JAN or Sufhan

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
ender said:
I DLd some sufjan after chrono made a thread about him, and then I bought the CD on a whim and it has some good songs, and I havnt looked at the lyrics or anything but some of the songs sound like christian music, like singing about God. Am I retarted?

also, is it Suf-JAN or Sufhan
He's Christian, and yes he does sing about God in a number of songs, but he isn't preachy about it, which I really appreciate as a non-Christian listener.

Really, he sings a lot about how being Christian affected the way he dealt with things in his life, especially on "Casmir Paluski Day" where the song is about a friend dieing of cancer and how his faith helped him get through the ordeal.

I think ending the song with "And he takes, and he takes, and he takes" (in reference to God, obviously) proves how he's definately not preaching anything here.

If it offends you, then....well, you're just too easily offended. (I'm not implying that it DOES offend you)

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love Sufjan. Casimir Pulaski Day is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. The first time I ever listened closely to it (instead of just as background music while surfing the net, you know) I was walking across campus and it almost made me cry. I haven't listened to Seven Swans yet, but I definitely like the Illinois album better than the Michigan one.

And Knight's right, the Christian themes in the music are never preachy. There are some people out there who just take offense at anything Christian, but provided you're not a jerk about it, it really gives you a lot of insight into his music.

It's going to take a while before I get used to pronouncing his name right, though.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
im no jerk. now i know i wasnt imagining it.

Axem Smash

Smash Ace
That's one crazy name. :p

I recommend....

1.AC/DC
2.Black Sabbath/Ozzy
3.Guns N' Roses

nuff' said :p

cF=)

Smash Lord
For more Death Metal / Grindcore, see below :

Band - Converge
Style - Death Metal/Hardcore
Best Song(s) - Fault and Fracture, Drop Out.

Ok.. this is surely the weirdest band I've ever listened to, seriously. The singer is just under the influence of evil forces or something because he scream like if there was no tommorow. Guitar riffs are powerfull, Bass really kicks and Drum mean something for every songs. If you want to listen to something original, intense and ears breaking, you'll love this band.

Band - Between the Buried and Me
Style - Hardcore, Progressive-rock, Jazz, Classical (Yeah, not seen everyday)
Best Song(s) - Aesthetic, Laser Speed, Selkies The Endless Obsession, Alaska

Maybe my favorite band since their first release which is self-titled. In one song, they can travel to all the styles mention earlier with perfect harmony and after listening to the first song, you'll demand for more. Talented guitarists playing fast-paced or dramaticly beautiful riffs, a singer with a beautiful voice when he sings, a good bassist who lead all songs with his talent and a drummer which can't be described with words.
If you have received 20$ at Christmas, I would recommend the album ALASKA or THE SILENT CIRCUS to anybody I know who enjoy good music. A must to any collection.

JFox

Smash Hero
Band-Children of Bodom
Genre- Foreign (Heavy) Metal
The band is insane.(Musically and mentally) Although they talk about some crazy **** that is too bizarre to believe, they are amazingly talented. If you want to hear good metal, this is the kind of band you would like. The singer screams and although that bothers some, I have developed a taste for good screaming. The singer is also the lead guitarist, Alexi Laiho and is the writer of most of the songs they have. He is the man behind the band. The guitar is incredible, and the talent of the band is all around pretty amazing. DL a video if you have time, very impressive.

Avenged Sevenfold
Genre- Metal
This band used to be more of the screaming type, but has changed things up and is now singing instead of any screaming. The band is quite good, and is more than just thrashing guitar(although I enjoy thrashing). Quite the interesting band, check them out if you don't know them.

Michael Angelo Batio- OHH wow. This isn't an band, but is actually a solo guitarist who is knwon throughout the world, although curiously isn't talked about much here in the US. He is absolutely incredible, being named best shredder OF ALL TIME by guitar magazine. If you have a sweet spot for solo's, this guy will absolutely blow anyone away. Angelo.com is the best place I can recommend. It has a lot of songs and vids everyone should check out. Click this link to for a quick impressive preview- http://angelo.com/No_Boundaries.mp3

$sD

Smash Ace
Thursday

check out their album WAR All the Time!

they need more attention IMO

Kurosaki Ichigo

Smash Apprentice
Old but still good.

Ok. I can name a couple of good artists but they're mostly pretty old.

They're a really great band with a great sound. There's nothing remarkably astounding about QOTSA, but they've got a wonderful sound and feel to their music.

A rather old J-Rock band that still lives on in the hearts and minds of people, such as I, to this day. Their music sometimes has a Castlevania feel to it.

Another old J-Rock band. There isn't anything astonishing about them either, but they do make good killing music from time to time. Listening to D.e.G is awesome when playing a destructive game. >:D

Royksopp, two awesome trance artists. I'm not sure of their origins, but I'm almost positive it's SOMEWHERE in Europe. Their music is awesome for sex as well as background music. Something to set a cool, chilly mood for the atmosphere.

Axem Smash

Smash Ace
JFox said:
Michael Angelo Batio- OHH wow. This isn't an band, but is actually a solo guitarist who is knwon throughout the world, although curiously isn't talked about much here in the US. He is absolutely incredible, being named best shredder OF ALL TIME by guitar magazine. If you have a sweet spot for solo's, this guy will absolutely blow anyone away. Angelo.com is the best place I can recommend. It has a lot of songs and vids everyone should check out. Click this link to for a quick impressive preview- http://angelo.com/No_Boundaries.mp3
omfg he is right! I seen 'Speed Kills' and it is some scury ****. :p And I thought Randy Rhoads was fast. o_O(ok, well he IS fast, but not like this) You forgot to say he was with the band 'Nitro'. :chuckle:

I reccommend these bands: AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne(his solo band)(more of his earlier stuff was better), Quiet Riot, and Metallica.

All bands most have heard of, all bands most like. :p Except Quiet Riot. A lot of people haven't heard of them or just didn't like them. You should give them a try. '*** on Feel the Noize' and 'Metal Health' are pers. fav's.

D.A.

Smash Apprentice
Name: Kanye West
Genre: Hip Hop
Info: Too many rappers are talking about pointless things like the cliber of gun they don't really own, or the size of the rims on their car, Kanye West speaks of real issues and has some of the best musical lyrics you will ever hear, he is the most creative force in music and giving a track of his a listen won't hurt.

WafflesAreElGood

Smash Apprentice
Since I'm wearing the shirt:
Artist/Band: Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains
Genre: Rock/Jam Band
Other Notes: Les Claypool and Bucket head are people you might have heard of, along with Brain who is the drummer of Les Claypool's Primus. There is also Bernie Warrel, who was in Funkadelic, Parliment Funkidelic and Parliment, other bands that are worth listening to if you enjoy funk.

Artist/Band: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Genre: Funk/Rock/Punk
Other Notes: Yes, I know you have heard of them, but did you know they were around in the 80's? Not many people do even though their first four CDs were in the 80's. In the 80's there sound was a lot different from now, they fused rock, funk and punk together to get some really good tunes in that are freakin' sweet.

Artist/Band: Sweet James
Genre: Indie/Rock
Other Notes: One of the more recent bands that actually have skill and know what they're doing, may sound like some popular stuff, but it's just better in my opinion. If you want to listen to some softer rock, then you should check them out.

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
Ok, all you classic rock lovers.

Band: Pink Floyd
Genre: Classic Rock (1967-1994) Yes, there old but they're really good
Notes: The thing about Pink Floyd is you must listen to a whole cd to get in to Pink Floyd. The songs connect to each other. I would recommend Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Pink Floyd The Wall. Before 1968 the producer and writer Syd Barret or Barrett, not sure, quit for reasons unknown. The only album he released before he quit was Pipers at the Gate of Dawn. ALL YOU PINK FLOYD LOVERS SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS! You will think this is surely not Pink Floyd. The first album that transformed Pink Floyd to there weird phenomenon of sounds was evident in Meddle. So go for that if you want to see how the band developed. Original Pink Floyd David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Nick Mason, and Richard Wright. Sorry if I blabbed to much. I just a Pink Floyd maniac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom