• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've been listening to a lot of this awesome band named envy. they're japanese AND hardcore. what more could you possibly want from a band? they're hardcore, but they're definitely very dramatic and emotive. i'm sure whatever it is they're screaming in japanese is very emotional. right now, the only album i have from envy is their latest release on dim mak records, "All The Footprints You've Ever Had and The Fear Expecting Ahead." they're definitely the best hardcore band i've heard so far. plus it's ****ing awesome to see all those intricate japanese symbols on my ipod.

another band i've gotten into as of late is the math rock band the jesus lizard. i listened to them first about six months ago and i wasn't really digging them. however, i downloaded their album "goat" a few nights ago and i'm really into them now. they remind me a bit of shellac, except less energetic and more off kilter. sometimes their guitars meander in a way reminiscent of don cab or neutrino. definitely an awesome band.

another song that i'm in love with right now is yoko kanno's version of "ave maria." i'm not generally a fan of opera, but this song is just amazing. plus, every time i hear it, it makes me think of the "ballad of fallen angels" episode from cowboy bebop.

also, i've been in the mood for some good trance. if anybody has any good suggestions, they'd be much appreciated.

Immortal Technique

Smash Cadet
Band/Artist: The Cribs
Genre: Indie Pop Rock
Other Notes: The Cribs are a 3-piece indie band from Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England. They're British, with delightful tunes you won't forget.

Band/Artist: Bayside
Genre: Emo/Rock
Other Notes: Bayside is a band (whose genre is sometimes known as "cult-core") signed with Victory Records.

Band/Artist: Viktor Vaughn
Genre: Rap
Other Notes: Daniel Dumile (pronounced "DOOM-uh-lay") is an American hip-hop artist who has taken on several stage names in his career

Band/Artist: We Are Scientists
Genre: Indie
Other Notes: We Are Scientists are an American indie rock band featuring Keith Murray (guitar and lead vocals), Chris Cain (bass guitar and backing vocals) and Michael Tapper (drums and backing vocals). They formed in 2000.

Band/Artist: The Moldy Peaches
Genre: Indie/Hippy
Other Notes: Basically, drugs with instruments.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol, who was it that gave me negative rep on my post above? what, you didn't like my music so you decided to take away from my rep? that's really mature.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Bed Destroyers
www.beddestroyers.com
Genre: Technopop, Punk, Hip Hop
Album: Sell Your Soul to Yourself
Stuff: My current favorite band. I'm not sure if they're even signed to a label (the main members' other project, The Summer Obsession, is signed.) but these guys are fresh. When I first listened to them, I was put off by the vocals and the odd juxtaposition of music types crammed into single songs (major case, the "Bed Destroyers" track, where it goes from pretty pop music to aggressive rap/rock with a bunch of goofy profanities). The guys seem to stand on a fine line in the middle of serious, melancholic music, and silly rhymes and quick beats. The thing is though, that it works. It's hard to explain, so a good example is the way the singer mournfully sings the chorus to "Sex Bruises" ("just go before I loooose it, I'm giving you sex bruuuuises). Anyways, just trust me and let the band grow on you. The majority of their CD is hits.
Notable Tracks: Nag Champa, A New Drug, Sex Bruises, Bed Destroyers, Liar, Little By Little, Perfectly Die, Stealin Your Heart

Test Icicles
Genre: Alternative, quasi-hardcore
Stuff: I'm not TOO into these guys yet. The most I can say is to check out their new single (the video for which is pretty cool. the singer has prescence!), "Circle Triangle Square". It gets stuck in my head every other minute nowadays.
Tracks: Circle Triangle Square, Catch It, Scene Damage, Boa Vs. Python, Your Biggest Mistake

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
unique chique - myspace

this is a pretty awesome indie band. very calm and peaceful but not boring. they have a really nice medley of sounds. great music for driving to with the windows down in the heat of summer. or at least i imagine. i haven't actually gotten to try that yet, but i bet it would be nice. i was told about them by the lead singer of this band:

the digital kill - myspace

i mentioned this band before a long time ago, but man, they're awesome. seriously check them out. even if you don't check out unique chique, at least check this band out. i've never heard anything like them at all. really powerful music. they've just finished mastering their debut album so it should be coming out sometime soon. even my girlfriend likes them and she mostly HATES my music. when i played them for my parents, they drove to chicago to become band groupies. now i live in utter poverty. but i can't blame my folks. they're an awesome band.

Devil's Advocate

Smash Cadet
Band name: Calle 13
Album: Calle 13
Genre: Latino Rap/Hiphop
Other Notes: This guy is just basically eminem, except latino. Even if you don't understand spanish, you can still apreciate his music... half of the time I can't understand what english speaking rappers are saying anyways :ohwell: . This band has a nice beat, and even if you don't like rap you can still enjoy the music. Suprisingly, they are on iTunes, so check them out if you want to.

PS: That was not an advertisement for iTunes.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Hmmm... lets see. What didn't I post in my huge last post?
Ahhhh..... every one just listen to Queen. You can't go wrong there....
I'll be back!

EDIT: Okay, I've got something!

Built to Spill
Recommended Songs: Broken Chairs, Conventional Wisdom, Centre of the Universe, Twin Falls
Discription:
Imagine Modest Mouse was a punk band. Then imagine that they made catchy tracks with extended instrumental sections and an abundance of layered country riffs.
Built to Spill picks one ideas per album and runs with it, and they do this very well. Each album has a distinct sound to it, while at the same time sharing Built to Spills unique, unmistakeable sound.
Rating: 8.0/10.0

Joel Plaskett Emergency
Recommended Songs: Extraordinary, True Patriot Love
Discription:
Good old rock 'n roll. Joel Plaskett gives what basically amounts to classic rock a modern twist and unforgetable lyrics. Very accessible and it does what it does well, but don't expect much more.
Rating: 7.1/10.0

M83
Recommended Songs: Run Into Flowers, Don't Save Us From the Flames
Discription:
M83 takes the conventional indie formula and plays with it by adding aggressive but moody synth. Drawn out and at some times almost hypnotizing, but at the same time interesting enough to keep your attention. And don't think they're afraid of experimentation. Their albums are lightly sprinkled with instrumental tracks and songs with creative concepts. Although it doesn't always work out for the best, it does make M83 an interesting listen.
Rating: 7.9/10.0

Of Montreal
Recommended Songs: Lysergic Bliss, Pancakes for One, Disconnect the Dots.
Discription:
From Montreal, as the name suggests, Of Montreal revolves around an odd mix between phsyidelic rock and twee. This extremely up-beat group has a unique sound and an odd sense of humour that is obvious even from afar, with album titles like Satanic Panic in the Attic and a sixteen track EP of songs about Dustin Hoffman. Beatles-esqe pop tracks have never been so quirky. However, Of Montreal is not for everyone, and it'll probably take a few listens to get into.
Rating: 6.6/10.0

Blastdude

Smash Cadet
Deftones
Genre: Metal/ Nu- Metal

I've loved these guys ever since I heard "Change" in that DBZ Movie.

Finger Eleven
Genre: Alt- Metal/ Alt Rock

Pretty popular over here, you've prolly heard "One Thing" but I suggest trying out "DRag You Down" "First Time", "Above" "Quicksand" (espically), dangit, I could go on.

Rob Zombie/ White Zombie
Genre: Industrial Rock/ Metal

He's kinda like a gruff version of Marilyn Manson, his White Zombie stuff kinda of sounds like Pantera. "Dragula" is prolly his most famous song, prehaps you've heard it.

Devil's Advocate

Smash Cadet
Band name: The Aquabats
Album: Charge!!
Genre: Ska
Other Notes: Great, happy ska band. Very random lyrics and strange voice, refreshingly new and different. Very nice rifs and rhythms, all around good band. Love dem.. try em out if you like ska, or if you're tired of cookie cutter rap/rock/pop bands.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Artist/Band - Jesse Cook
Genre - Acoustic Guitar
Other notes - some pretty entertaining music, even though it has no words. This artist can surely play a guitar fast, and in the meantime, put some pretty interesting instruments in the background. His song called "Mario takes a Walk" is very good, and has a nice beat. try it out

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Artist/band - Rammstein
Genre - German Rock
Other notes - who cares if you can't understand what they're saying, it's still great music. Almost everysong by this band has a killer beat that just rolls right along. recommended songs are Engel, Feur frei (from the beginning of XXX), and Teir.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
Song-October
Composer- Eric Whitacre
Genre- Classical
Other- Probably one of my favorite songs. It is just gorgeous (I don't think I can explain it any other way) if you like wind ensemble music this is a must to listen too. I really don't think there is much else I can say other than I get all of these fuzzy feelings when I listen to it.

Plomid

Smash Ace
Band/Artist: Pantera
Genre: Hevy/Trash/ThrashMetal
Album: every single one
Other Notes: Vinne Dime Rex and Phil are the four members of this too-extrem-for-live band , they started playing hair metal wich got hevier and elvolved into thrash metal they almost quit once cuse of phils drug abuse and then they did and the brothers vinnie and dimebag formed the band damage plan wich was (probably) brought to a stop becuse of dimebags death but nobody knows. he was shot on stage the december of 2003 and may he rest in peace in the here after. :cry:
amen

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
that 1 guy said:
Song-October
Composer- Eric Whitacre
Genre- Classical
Other- Probably one of my favorite songs. It is just gorgeous (I don't think I can explain it any other way) if you like wind ensemble music this is a must to listen too. I really don't think there is much else I can say other than I get all of these fuzzy feelings when I listen to it.
YES, that song is great. Have you heard Whitacre's other stuff? The Middle School band at my school is playing Godzilla Eats Las Vegas. Ghost Train is pretty sick too. Whitacre is just all-out cool.

band/artist: Belanova
albums: Cocktail (2003), Dulce Beat (2005)
genre: alternative pop/electronic
language: most songs are spanish, they do have two songs in english though
website
fansite
hoy te amo flash movie

This is a band that sings in Spanish, isn't Reggaeton, isn't "Spanish Music" (salsa, tango, mambo, rumba, flamenco, etc...), isn't "folky", and isn't really rock either. Many of you might be familiar with at least one of their songs if you've ever seen the flash video "hoy te amo" hosted on Newgrounds (I linked to the author's website here). If you like the song in the flash, you'll probably like all of their songs, because they all sound like that. Band members include Denisse, Richie, and Edgar.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
Plomid said:
Band/Artist: Pantera
Genre: Hevy/Trash/ThrashMetal
Album: every single one
Other Notes: Vinne Dime Rex and Phil are the four members of this too-extrem-for-live band , they started playing hair metal wich got hevier and elvolved into thrash metal they almost quit once cuse of phils drug abuse and then they did and the brothers vinnie and dimebag formed the band damage plan wich was (probably) brought to a stop becuse of dimebags death but nobody knows. he was shot on stage the december of 2003 and may he rest in peace in the here after. :cry:
amen
I can't really say I like Pantera but after playing Guitar Hero I've developed a bit of a taste for one song, Cowboys from Hell. Check this out:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4266862911979111749&q=cowboys+from+hell&pl=true

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics

I don't need to say much. This is by far the best album I've heard since The Arcade Fires debut EP. Buy it. Now.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Hmm..undiscovered music, okay here we go :

Double Figures - Hey DJ
08. Tekken 5 - Moonlit Wilderness
02 CD1-Crusher (feat. Saffron)<---------Soundtrack from Quantum Redshift.
01 - The Immortals - Johnny Cage (Prepare Yourself)
Adrenaline - Gavin Rosedale - Triple XXX Soundtrack
Flaw- get up again
Bump J - On The Run
DJ Encore Feat. Engelina - Walking In The Sky
Driven Soundtrack-Leroy- Good Time
Dynamite Hack - Boys in the Hood
Final fantasy 8 -Faye Wong - Eyes On Me
Hundred Reasons - stories with unhappy endings
Hackers Soundtrack (Opening Theme) - Orbital - Trance
In Flames - Cloud Connected
Korn- Word Up
Limp Bizkit - Boiler
Mushroomhead - Bwomp<----warning, it's ****ing addicting...
Pure Pwnage - World of Warcraft is a Feeling
Rammstein - Du Hast
Scooter - Fire
Street Fighter 2 - Ryu Stage (REAL MUSIC)
Switchfoot - Meant To Live
The Cardigans - My Favorite Game

I have more, but meh, don't feel likle overwhelming your computer with badass songs, you want more, add me to your msn or aim.

Aim : Supmate2
Msn : ruenes40@hotmail.com

RareTruffle

Smash Apprentice
Band: Sonic Youth
Genre: Alternative
Album: Daydream Nation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_youth

Band: Sufjan Stevens
Genre: Folk, Indie
Album: Illinois

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufjan_Stevens

Band: Radiohead
Album: Ok Computer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiohead

Band: Bjork
Album: Post

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjork

Band: The Smashing Pumpkins (My favorite! :) )
Album: Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smashing_Pumpkins

Yeah, I didn't want to **** the page with long descriptions for each band, so I just posted wiki links. Enjoy. :)

CAOS and CFSN

Smash Cadet
band/artist: Dream Theater
genre: Progressive Rock/Alternative/Hard Rock
Album: ALL OF THEM!!

I really don't listen to much of anything else. I don't have to. You can pick out any album and it will fit most emotional music moods that you have. Do NOT just pass this band by. All I ask is that you buy ONE album. That's it. Listen to all the songs fully. (Most of them are usually 7-13 minutes long.) Just listen to them. It'll be worth the money.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I'm all for Dream Theater, but if you're new to them I wouldn't recommend just any album. They're all good, but I'd give my money for Images and Words, Train of Thought, Octavarium, and maybe Metropolis Part 2 and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I've recommended DT to a lot of friends and they just pick up Awake or Falling Into Infinity because they're usually the cheapest, and they end up not liking them.

CAOS and CFSN

Smash Cadet
Tis very true. Well, to all of you out there, don't start with Falling Into Infinity or Change of Seasons. Awake is a good one though. I haven't heard much of When Dream and Day Unite yet, so I'll have to see about that one.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Band - Tenacious D
Genre - Rock....i guess, maybe
Songs - Wonder Boy, Tribute

JUST INCASE you haven't heard of these guys, the group's composed of Jack Black (the actor)and Kyle Gass (actor & kickass acoustic guitar player). They make mostly funny songs, but also they make some serious songs too. The video for Tribute is funny as well.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
dilute: this is one of the best bands i've heard in a while. their songs are mostly instrumental, but the music they play is amazing. they're pretty experimental with their roots in math rock. their songs remind me of balloons floating upwards towards the heavens on my birthday. fragile, gentle, but successful. elliptical, enrapturing and open ended music. you can go to this site, http://www.transmission3000.com/bands/?r=dilute.html, to download some of their live stuff which is just amazing.

pyramids: hard to clasify this band, but they fall most closely to post hardcore. i love the way they scream. their guitars and sound in general is much more interesting than most hardcore. they define their volume and power better than any other hardcore band i've heard except for maybe envy. http://www.slaveunion.com has their song "stationed." check it out.

black heart procession: i recommend everyone check these guys out. bhp is one of the few bands i listen to that my girlfriend likes. they're not really classifiable as anything other than indie, but that label (like most labels) doesn't do them justice. they play dark, moody pieces. sounds like moon beams cutting through the ominous black clouds hitting the water at midnight, glittering in the dark. seriously, even if you don't check the other bands out, listen to these guys. their albums 2 and 3 are glorious. http://www.quarterstickrecords.com go under bands, black heart procession, and then click on their albums. they have a sample song from each one.

Blastdude

Smash Cadet
Band- Rage Against the Machine
Genre- They ARE their own genre, everyone else is just copycats
Album: Definitely Self-titled

Broke up in 2000, but they had a great run, strong political messeage and some awesome music that's pretty unique isn't something you can go wrong with.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Blastdude said:
Band- Rage Against the Machine
Genre- They ARE their own genre, everyone else is just copycats
Album: Definitely Self-titled

Broke up in 2000, but they had a great run, strong political messeage and some awesome music that's pretty unique isn't something you can go wrong with.
i personally catagorize Rage as Industrial Rock (that's their own genre). Hail Rage!!

Blastdude

Smash Cadet
Nah, there a lot of Industrial rock bands, Econoline Crush, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, etc.

RATM are the total opposite, they prove you don't need electronic (drum machines, synthesizers, samplers, etc.) to make weird sounds, not to mention their sound is more raw.

Kyso

Smash Rookie
When you gotta feel good, you cant beat...
Band - Modest Mouse
Genre - Rock...I think
Album - pick one
Note: Their new stuff is good to mellow out to. Although its hard to beat AC/DC to make it through the game

$sD

Smash Ace
THE Blood Brothers
genre - HxC
album - Crimes

now first thing most of u will say when u hear this band is
WTF IS THIS $H!T

but i assure you they're better then u think at first
one thing that would help is reading the lyrics when you are listening to them so u have a feel for what they are saying

some of their songs if not most tell a story about life for regular people inthe most insane ways

one last thing

THIS BAND WILL TAKE AWHILE TO GET USED TO!

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
lol Ill try em becuase I know dollarstoreD and his sceneish ways

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
It's been such a long time since I posted on these boards... geez...

Alright, here's a list of bands getting heavy rotation on my iPod:

A.C. Newman- Indie
Andrew Bird- Indie
Cat Power- Indie
Destroyer- Indie
Interpol- Indie
Jens Lekman- Indie
Kanye West- Hip Hop
Lauryn Hill- R&B
Neko Case- Indie (alt-country)
Neutral Milk Hotel- Indie
New Pornographers- Indie
Sufjan Stevens- Indie (folk, chamber pop)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Indie

$sD

Smash Ace
endah said:
lol Ill try em becuase I know dollarstoreD and his sceneish ways

LOL

so true

hope u come around to enjoying their insanity

Emily26

Smash Rookie
My favorite genres are classical (my favorite), jazz, and oldies/soft rock/classic rock.

My favorite bands are The Eagles, America, The Beatles, Chicago, and Bread.

My favorite composers are Vivaldi, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach.

Immortal Technique

Smash Cadet
Seve Vs. Evan

Check out Seve Vs. Evan- Indie/Pop/Electronica

They're geeks too, so a lot of us can relate, eh?

Check 'em out on Myspace. They have 4 songs you can download on there.​

Talim-Taki-soup

Smash Cadet
Hey what happened to the heavy rotation on here! Okay here's what I'm listening to: Tatu
Forget the album but it's the last one before their current one out already.

KM-013

Smash Lord
blackmountain said:
You should listen to 'The Dream of Evan and Chan' its a really good song by the Postal Service.
actually i believe thats by dntel featuring the deathcab/postal service guy.

dj shadow-trip hop/electronica/hip hop
albums-entroducing deluxe edition/ the private press
songs-organ donor (extended overhaul), stem long stem *transmission 2*, midnight in a perfect world, six days, blood on the motorway, building steam with a grain of salt

aphex twin-electronia/ambient/trance
albums-richard d. james album/ drukgs
songs-4, girl/boy song, logon rock witch, ****/ver 10, vordhosbn

the album leaf-electronica/ambient/instrumental
albums-in a safe place, someday ill be on time
songs-window, thule, another day, streamside, over the pond, vermillion, storyboard, wet the day

explosions in the sky-instrumental rock
albums-the earth is not a cold dead place/ how strange, innocence/those who tell the truth shall die, those who tell the truth shall live forever
songs-first breath after coma, six days at the bottom of the ocean, magic hours, yasmin the light, with tired eyes, tired minds, tired souls, we slept

godspeed you! black emperor-instrumental rock
albums-lift yr skinny fists like antennas to heaven/ F# A# infinity/ yanqui UXO
songs-storm, sleep, static, a silver mount zion, providence, east hastings, rockets fall on rocket falls, mothe****er=redeemer part 1

aphilas-ambient/electronica
albums-instrumentally ill
songs-lifelong fiction, collective memory loss, remain solid, the dubbed coil of smoke

the arcade fire-indie rock
albums-funeral
songs-neighborhood #1 tunnels, crown of love, wake up, rebellion (lies), in the back seat

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Dntel is one half of The Postal Service. Evan and Chan was created technically before The Postal Service, but it's the same exact thing I'd say.

while on the subject, I heartily recommend Dntel's solo stuff. Especially the album 'Life is Full of Possibilities". The other two he has are pretty hard to come by. They are "Early Works For Me if it Works For You" and "Something Always Goes Wrong". I prefer Something Always Goes Wrong, the other one is a little too minimalistic and unmelodic for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom