• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MSOP 3 - July 26th Charleston, IL First Circuit Event -come try out teh strikouts

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
You guys remember a little thing called wobbling? The one that was supposed to break the game and make ICs the best character, only there was NO increase in IC tournament placement? Well, Brawl IC chains aren't any different. And if your character is a big fat gorilla, have a secondary. I should know--I switched to Zelda against chewy, and maybe if I were any good I could have won.

Keep the ICs separated and don't get grabbed. Really. I'm not good at this game, and this weekend was my first Brawl experience ever against ICs, and I thought I was doing sort of okay against them.

People who want things to be banned don't realize what a disservice it does to the metagame.
Or just use pikachu and downsmash.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
lol i know who he is i seen him noob. but people who are always claiming they suck and have no self esteem seem to be giving advice. makes no sense to me.

noob.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
first off shine spiking took some degree of skill because the opponent could sometimes tech the ledge depending on character and then they could recover and it only did 3-5% when a well placed smash did 12-16% making shine spiking a bad choice. shine spiking was not smart to do.
:laugh:

I'll money-match you in Melee next time I see you, dude.

oh and btw if you guys didn't know, the ICs have been banned in Japan at major tournaments. although I'm not sure if it was the whole character or if they just restricted the 0-death chain grab. but nonetheless Japan knows how broken they are, they have had more time to mess with it than we have. the ICs will be banned or at least the chain grab will be restricted some how.
Where did you hear this crap? Honestly... I remember some idiot telling me that Marth was banned in Japan, too. :rolleyes:

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Because I've been around a long time and I'm a smart guy and I know what's going on. Nothing wrong with a little (justified) modesty about my playing skills.

...and I should add that any dummy knows how to play against ICs.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
LOL "Dr. X I didn't see your CROSS CANCELED REST!"

PS: I beat Anther's IC's in some friendlies. He got caught up in my extreme PS1 mindgames. Just ask, lol.

Banned via Administration
guys this has seriously become one of if not THE most ignorant / rampantly homosexual thread in mw. clean this **** up.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
my back getting owned on TJ's floor was my worst tourny experience ever
HAHA walk into the main room like "Oh...mah back hurts!" and then Overswarm "Lift your hands above your head and count to five. Does it still hurt?" "Yeah it still hurts ****!"

That was great. Im glad we smashers have an accomplished physical therapist LOL.

Tink

Smash Hero
i still dont see how you people even compare melee to brawl for examples <_<...melee could take a drastic turn in a matter of a stock, you could be down 3-1 stock and still come back. this is not the same at all for brawl. the chaingrab that lain uses(dont know if chewy used it) was incredibly stupid. one grab and your auto dead unless he messes up and theres nothing you can do about it idk if it should be banned, but its incredibly stupid.

Tink

Smash Hero
me and OSs matches you got were from Winners finals. once everyones matches gets named, other peoples, ill post a thread for them.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
i still dont see how you people even compare melee to brawl for examples <_<...melee could take a drastic turn in a matter of a stock, you could be down 3-1 stock and still come back.
Doesn't taking a stock from a single grab serve this exact purpose? >.>

this is not the same at all for brawl. the chaingrab that lain uses(dont know if chewy used it) was incredibly stupid. one grab and your auto dead unless he messes up and theres nothing you can do about it idk if it should be banned, but its incredibly stupid.
I'm seeing a real disconnect in logic here. Why is it "stupid?"

Tink

Smash Hero
ummm... because for us brawl people, which i thought you were <_<, taking stocks isnt easy at all. melee it was very easy and saying wobbles is anything like the new wobbles tactic is stupid.

idk how i disconnect from logic there <_<. maybe you read it differently then i ment it.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
ummm... because for us brawl people, which i thought you were <_<, taking stocks isnt easy at all. melee it was very easy
This is the disconnect. You say stocks are much more difficult to take in Brawl. From this you conclude IC's chaingrabbing is stupid, with no logical connection presented with which to reach this conclusion. I'm not saying you don't have one, rather you've yet to say what it is so it's kinda confusing for us readers.

saying wobbles is anything like the new wobbles tactic is stupid
Both are a guaranteed way of taking a stock every single time you grab somebody unless you mess up. I think that makes them quite similar. Saying otherwise is pretty stupid, if you ask me. :ohwell:

idk how i disconnect from logic there <_<. maybe you read it differently then i ment it.
Maybe you said it differently than you meant it?

I'm not looking to start **** with you, man, I think you're a really cool guy. I just think you probably have a lot more constructive things you could be doing with your posts than just calling things stupid. Communicating badly then blaming others when you're misunderstood isn't exactly helpful to the community, you know. :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
dr.x said:
Either way, great tournament. I wish I hadn't failed so hard in singles, now people are going to say OS carried me in Doubles.
Not after they see you beast Lain and Anther 2v1 TWICE once I get the videos up.

Yeah, haha... tell me about it . I was thinking about a new way to conduct our money matches. Here's how I think it should work. We did a 5 dollar MM the first time, with a best of 3, and a 10 dollar MM the 2nd time, with a bo5. I want the next one to be an increase, but I want to make it a little different - I want it to be a bo7, and every game in the set counts as 5 dollars. So that means our games could potentially be 35 dollars, or they could be as little as 15, depending on how well each of us perform. I also think that will make the MM's a lot more epic if I'm able to take it all the way to the last two games, hopefully winning it and creating a huge upset. Sound like a good idea?
I like this idea. You have to have the whole $20with you when we start! It is unlikely that someone will lose all of them though. It wouldn't be $35 though... Once you win 4 you win a bo7. :)

Unless you wanted to play 7 matches and then just make each match worth $5, which I'd also do.

ROB vs. Link all the way!

Also, I find it slightly infuriating that I paid for half of Tink's entry fee into singles only for him to beat me in the last game of the last set in the finals. Oh well, SaC 2 is next. :)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
me and OSs matches you got were from Winners finals. once everyones matches gets named, other peoples, ill post a thread for them.
You guys played in winners finals? I thought that was grand finals?

Vayseth

Smash Master
oh and btw if you guys didn't know, the ICs have been banned in Japan at major tournaments. although I'm not sure if it was the whole character or if they just restricted the 0-death chain grab. but nonetheless Japan knows how broken they are, they have had more time to mess with it than we have. the ICs will be banned or at least the chain grab will be restricted some how.
I want your proof of this. If you know of a Japanese tournament site, or a Japanese-like Smash Boards please let me know and SamuraiPanda and I will get to work.

Tink

Smash Hero
Both are a guaranteed way of taking a stock every single time you grab somebody unless you mess up. I think that makes them quite similar. Saying otherwise is pretty stupid, if you ask me.
(not trying to start shiz either)

umm....i didnt know one stock in brawl was the equivilant to a stock in melee. its 2 completly different games, idk how you say doin an infifnite in one is the same as doin it in the other game <_<... i was pro banning wobbles and its just more stupid in brawl because 1 stock is very very big thing to lose -_-.

im not saying that they are a diff tactic, just that one is more hurtful in the other game.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Both are a guaranteed way of taking a stock every single time you grab somebody unless you mess up. I think that makes them quite similar. Saying otherwise is pretty stupid, if you ask me. :ohwell:
This guy is either just not getting it, or incapable of understanding.

Tink is saying a guranteed 0-death in brawl is ridiculous, since being down a full stock in brawl is not easy to come back from since everyone stays alive so long. In melee, you get cheaped out too, but a comeback very possible even when down by three stock.

If you don't understand, ask for someone to explain it more carefully and slowly instead of replying with a condescending nature.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Too true. And spikes? ****ing ridiculous. I'm off the edge trying to recover and this wolf player just dairs me out of my up+b and I die. WTF? One hit and I'm dead? All he has to do is get really good at it and then ROB can't recover. Now I have to get a secondary. :(

DrewB008

Smash Lord
os makes a great sarcastic remark that would cement his position as being smarter than everybody were it not for the fact that a whole lot of **** has to go wrong for any moron to get hit by a spike in brawl, the least of which not being getting hit off the stage at a low enough trajectory

Zjiin

Smash Master
os makes a great sarcastic remark that would cement his position as being smarter than everybody were it not for the fact that a whole lot of **** has to go wrong for any moron to get hit by a spike in brawl, the least of which not being getting hit off the stage at a low enough trajectory
LOL. 222good.

[EDIT] Seriously, if you're off the stage at 0% waiting to get spiked, you deserve to die, scrub.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is my point >_>

It's ridiculously hard for an IC player to get a grab on anyone that knows anything about playing against the Ice Climbers. It was hard enough in Melee, and now everyone has literally lagless aerials and improve air mobility and projectiles are a lot stronger all around. My first stock against Chewy in tournament I took 2%, and it was not a quick stock. Chewy is good.

It's not easy to grab an opponent when your nana is ready unless your opponent royally messes up or just wasn't thinking. If your opponent is in the air, on the ledge, or simply on a platform, it becomes nigh impossible to get a grab.

lain

Smash Master
Not after they see you beast Lain and Anther 2v1 TWICE once I get the videos up.
XDDD omg too good Dr.X. BUT not after they see you guys make it to winner's finals, and then get 3-0'ed twice to 3rd place. LOL.

I see playing IC's as like playing a ******** handicapped character, but if I get a grab I can get a stock. I know people get annoyed at me for playing IC's, and it gets frustrating, but jesus man, they're not hard to fight. Man the **** up and don't get grabbed.

Pool results, I 2-1'ed Chewy, but only by playing REALLY smart and keeping my spacing REEALLY precise. Chewy is a ****ing god though.

Don't. Get. Grabbed.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
I see playing IC's as like playing a ******** handicapped character, but if I get a grab I can get a stock. I know people get annoyed at me for playing IC's, and it gets frustrating, but jesus man, they're not hard to fight. Man the **** up and don't get grabbed.
I definitely see your point here.

It is hard as hell for the ICs to get a grab off with the lack of good desynch combos and wavedashing. They virtually have no good grab approach. As long as you space correctly and don't get shield grabbed, ICs have to work hard for the grab. Especially if you can separate them easily and then fair combo Nana off the stage. (Says the Lucario player)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Bloodhawk, every time I read your sig I look at your avatar and it seems very appropriate.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
This guy is either just not getting it, or incapable of understanding.

Tink is saying a guranteed 0-death in brawl is ridiculous, since being down a full stock in brawl is not easy to come back from since everyone stays alive so long. In melee, you get cheaped out too, but a comeback very possible even when down by three stock.
Tink never said any of that until recently, first off. He only implied it at best. I could have caught that implication, but I find it's usually a bad idea to try to argue with something a person didn't actually say. Things get muddled up when you start telling yourself you know what the other person is thinking. Most people would consider this a favor more often than not.

Second off, I do believe that guaranteed 0-death does as much to help comebacks as it does to hurt them. Say you take an IC down to one stock, then he grabs you three times and wins the match. You may not like it, but it serves the same purpose as shine spikes, wobbles, and similar chain throws and gimping strategies from Melee. It doesn't necessarily make the game lean in one player's favor or the other, it just turns it into a game of extremes.

I thought that's what people *liked* about Melee, anyway? >,>

If you don't understand, ask for someone to explain it more carefully and slowly instead of replying with a condescending nature.
Again, communicating badly is generally a problem only the speaker can deal with, not the listener. A common theme on the internet is to reverse this as an excuse to insult people. It's funny that you do this and accuse me of being condescending in the very same sentence, don't you think?

This is my point >_>

It's ridiculously hard for an IC player to get a grab on anyone that knows anything about playing against the Ice Climbers. It was hard enough in Melee, and now everyone has literally lagless aerials and improve air mobility and projectiles are a lot stronger all around. My first stock against Chewy in tournament I took 2%, and it was not a quick stock. Chewy is good.

It's not easy to grab an opponent when your nana is ready unless your opponent royally messes up or just wasn't thinking. If your opponent is in the air, on the ledge, or simply on a platform, it becomes nigh impossible to get a grab.
Exactly. I mean... people did beat Chewy. He took third. If getting a grab were so easy and he never messed up once he got it (and he really didn't), then why didn't he win?

Nana is still a few frames behind everything Popo does. Throw a fast move at her and she will almost always get hit, and interestingly enough if Popo tries to defend against it he's actually helping you by letting you separate his climbers. :dizzy:

Kel

Smash Master
Of Note*
Tournaments ARE NOT for money in Japan. Gambling is illegal in Japan. (It is for the most part in America too but not as bad)

Also of note*
You could do the exact same IC throw infinite in Melee as you can in Brawl. It just wasn't very popular in Melee.

One grab could equal death to many characters in Melee if the grabber didn't mess up and had the knowledge to do so. Sometimes it would take 2 or 3 grabs if the grabber messed up a couple times.

Stop comparing Melee theory to Brawl. Grabs are different in Brawl than they are in Melee. A lot of stuff is different.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
So kel, for or against it?

The IC's suck without their grabs, and they are easily counterpicked with Meta Knight. I never really have issues with them.

As Kel said, things are different, and until the tactic becomes completely unbeatable, it isnt broken enough to get upset over.

As of just before MSOP, the IC's had 3 top 8's, 6 top 4's, 3 top 2's, and 4 wins. This puts them at 12th in tournament placement, right imbetween Olimar and Wolf.

I see nothing broken at the moment.

Big_R

Smash Champion
HEY VIPERBOY!

come to chicago for melee it will be tooooo goood! i know u dont like this agme now.

ummm... so ya i guess the ics remain gay chars husband claled it yrs ago. "there's ****in two of em"

Sliq

Smash Master
Comparing this chain grab to wobbling is stupid, seeing as how they game mechanics are completely different. I punch the next person to compare the two.

Top Bottom