• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Although I honestly wouldn't care if Simon Belmont is in or not, I should say to you that this IS Smash Bros...made by Masahiro Sakurai...ANYTHING is possible.

What kinds of stages would be for Mr. Game and Watch if he were to get one stage on the 3DS and one on Wii U? I'm pretty sure a "Flat Zone 3" stage would be a given, but for which device? And what would be the G&W stage for the other? Any thoughts?
Ah, good question!
Remember how there was talk around the site for stages like that Flat Zone 3 stage, where there would be a dual-screen layout? It would seem that THAT option would be better suited for the Wii U, and NOT the 3DS, because the bottom 3DS screen is already taken up with the damage percentages. The Wii U, however, also has a second screen on the gamepad, giving the layout a unique design for a Smash Bros. stage.
With Nintendo having to pull out all the stops for their Wii U, and to focus more on that gamepad, this would be another great example of Nintendo's much-needed innovation and creativity.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ah, good question!
Remember how there was talk around the site for stages like that Flat Zone 3 stage, where there would be a dual-screen layout? It would seem that THAT option would be better suited for the Wii U, and NOT the 3DS, because the bottom 3DS screen is already taken up with the damage percentages. The Wii U, however, also has a second screen on the gamepad, giving the layout a unique design for a Smash Bros. stage.
With Nintendo having to pull out all the stops for their Wii U, and to focus more on that gamepad, this would be another great example of Nintendo's much-needed innovation and creativity.
1. I don't plan on using the game pad, looks too...complex, I guess. But ya, pure Nintendo creativity would be needed here.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
1. I don't plan on using the game pad, looks too...complex, I guess. But ya, pure Nintendo creativity would be needed here.
I don't even have a Wii U. I'm expecting a 3DS XL soon though.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't even have a Wii U. I'm expecting a 3DS XL soon though.
Same here, only I'm saving up for a Wii U. I just like my Smash Bros on a screen that's not so small and chaotic.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
According to the latest leak that is most likely confirmed, G&W is back! Welcome back old friend!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
According to the latest leak that is most likely confirmed, G&W is back! Welcome back old friend!
Ya but here's the thing, it ISN'T confirmed OR debunked yet. Mr. Game and Watch still has that chance to be cut (though it's VERY unlikely, about a 0.2% chance). Not trying to hate on you guys for saying G&W is back, but he still needs to be revealed on the site, and this leak isn't confirmed just yet. This coming from a major G&W supporter.

Hate to say it, but G&W isn't confirmed until either the leak is confirmed and/or he is revealed on the official website.

Seraphist

Smash Rookie
Hey first post! I dont know why i didn't join sooner. Anyway about Mr. G&W. I think hes confirmed right here.

htt p://tinyurl .com/ouvdmpp

Picture of what i can only guess is Mr. G&W kirby.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey first post! I dont know why i didn't join sooner. Anyway about Mr. G&W. I think hes confirmed right here.

htt p://tinyurl .com/ouvdmpp

Picture of what i can only guess is Mr. G&W kirby.
No, that's just an alt. skin for him.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Leak's been proven. Can we get on confirmed characters now?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, his fate is almost certain at this point since the leak is pretty much real. I wonder if he will get a new Final Smash.

<-------These guys better be in the game, or the ICies thread will riot.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
G&W is iconic. I`m really hoping that he`ll get reintroduced (along with R.O.B.). Definitely a fun character.
Still hoping for a Retro Trio trailer that includes R.O.B., Mr. G&W, and the ICies (yes, I still believe in them, don't say they're not coming back, I have evidence to support them, LOTS of evidence).

But as for G&W, he is, out of the 3, the most iconic. He's Nintendo's first character, it only makes sense that he sticks around for Smash 4.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Still hoping for a Retro Trio trailer that includes R.O.B., Mr. G&W, and the ICies (yes, I still believe in them, don't say they're not coming back, I have evidence to support them, LOTS of evidence).

But as for G&W, he is, out of the 3, the most iconic. He's Nintendo's first character, it only makes sense that he sticks around for Smash 4.
I second this. And I think Sakurai is aware how important ICes are to players. I believe he has some kind of knowledge that some players create and hold strong bonds with the characters they play the most as (in my case, ICes and G&W) and that cutting these characters would royally tick them off beyond measure (yet somehow managed to cut Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy Young Link, and Dr. Mario). I think that if they aren't in, DHD was added as their replacement. The argument that DHD is 4's joke character doesn't seem very strong. He and ICes are both NES reps and I think Wii Fit Trainer fills the joke bill good enough (or is at least close to Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. in the left field). But I am just guessing. :sheep:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I second this. And I think Sakurai is aware how important ICes are to players. I believe he has some kind of knowledge that some players create and hold strong bonds with the characters they play the most as (in my case, ICes and G&W) and that cutting these characters would royally tick them off beyond measure (yet somehow managed to cut Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy Young Link, and Dr. Mario). I think that if they aren't in, DHD was added as their replacement. The argument that DHD is 4's joke character doesn't seem very strong. He and ICes are both NES reps and I think Wii Fit Trainer fills the joke bill good enough (or is at least close to Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. in the left field). But I am just guessing. :sheep:
Ya, I'm also thinking DHD would be ICies replacement. But you really can't replace Game and Watch unless you're going to do that with R.O.B. as his replacement which would make no sense. But thanks for supporting ICies even in dark times. I think that Mr. Game and Watch isn't as left field as R.O.B. and Wii Fit Trainer but he's still a bit of a "Wait...what?" character.

Mr. Game and Watch, out of the Retro Trio, is also probably the most liked (for whichever reason). I honestly like him, R.O.B., and the ICies about the same, but if they were to only bring 1 of those 3 back I think it'd have to be G&W.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There are no "replacements" in smash. The only one time that may have happened is in 64 where Ness might have replaced Lucas, as well as Melee, where Ness did replace Lucas. People thought Lucas would finally debut and replace Ness, but only the former was true, as both of them were playable.

===

As for Mr. G&W, I reallllllllllllllllly wanna see a G&W Amiibo. That would be sooooooooooooooooooooooo cool!!!!

RedArmy05

Smash Rookie
My favorite character has been Mr. Game and Watch throughout all the smash bros he has been in, and it would be pretty sexual if you could add him Sakurai.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm glad they appear to be keeping his Brawl/Melee design, seeing skinny in Pac-Mans trailer was off-putting.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So...WIth every character getting 8 colors, which colors would you like to see on Mr. Game & Watch?I'm hoping for white, brown, and orange myself.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So...WIth every character getting 8 colors, which colors would you like to see on Mr. Game & Watch?I'm hoping for white, brown, and orange myself.
Black, light blue, blue, green, yellow, red, orange, and white. If this is what happens, let it go on record that I called it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Just confirmed live on stream. Congrats, you guys.

shapular

Smash Ace
He looks like Brawl G&W but better. I'm loving this. I thought I would be okay if G&W wasn't in, but I was way beyond excited when he was revealed.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
He's been unlocked on another stream. I'm absolutely sure the CPU used down-throw, and it seems to have reverted back to Melee; extremely low base knockback similar to Mario.

If Game & Watch can do Mario-esque up-tilt regrabs, then I'm now waiting for someone to hit a 0-death combo using Judgement.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I watched some streamed footage of G&W yesterday; here's what I noticed as a G&W main in Brawl:

-By and large, G&W seems to have seen some buffs and some nerfs, quite possibly net positive. He seems all around faster (especially grounded mobility), but his attacks also seem less persistent (lingering hitboxes was G&W's big specialty in Brawl, and I kinda felt like most of his stuff just lingered less in smash 4).
-Jab finisher has an awkward looking animation, seems relatively inferior to others (still a big improvement on his useless rapid jab).
-Utilt is way, way faster now.
-Ftilt and dtilt seem about the same, but dtilt seems to persist for a little less long (maybe?).
-Usmash may linger less but is otherwise very similar looking.
-Fsmash has a new and horrible animation. Less range, way less persistant hitbox, still looks really unsafe on block.
-Dsmash has... substantially more range!!! I wasn't able to see hit properties or get a good sense of its speed; it maybe is a little slower, but the animation is different enough with the bigger hammers that it could easily be an optical illusion.
-New dash attack, hilarious looking but also looks worse than the Brawl one.
-Chef seems to generate food at a wider array of possible angles, otherwise seems the same.
-Judgment Hammer is still really bad, slow, no range.
-Fire is like in Brawl except it falls way slower with the chute out. Thank you for random buffs to G&W's best moves?
-Oil Panic seems a little less punishable on whiff (pulling out bucket, not getting anything). Hard to say. Was used on the ground, cannot comment on momentum properties.
-Nair has the exact same animation as Brawl, great news for G&W for sure. I can't tell if it juggles as well; the player never got a clean hit.
-Fair has the same naimation as Brawl as well, can't tell if it hits as hard as before. It may be a bit less persistent, hard to say.
-Turtle, the greatest move, was back in full glory. I couldn't confirm the landing hitbox; everything else looked identical down to the animation.
-Uair still has the wind, still hits with at least some force absurdly far from G&W. Hit nearly the entire vertical distance of FD on Master Hand (could tell because his % meter flashed).
-Dair is still plunging. I wasn't able to confirm if he could still air control during it unlike every other character with a plunging dair.
-Uthrow is the same as ever, fthrow seems to throw at a lower angle (either that or this player was using worst DI, DIing down to die earlier to the fthrow, can't be sure on that one). Bthrow and dthrow weren't used. Pummel still looks really slow but maybe a bit less slow than Brawl.
-G&W's utaunt and side taunt are the same as Brawl. His "flipping people off" taunt has been replaced with a "napping on the ground" taunt that is pretty funny itself.
-G&W's shield actually covers his whole body, unlike Melee but like Brawl. Just thought I'd confirm that point.

I really wish I was able to be more sure about stuff; G&W was looking pretty good in that footage, mostly being used by the AI and preventing himself from being unlocked. Unfortunately, until a skilled G&W main actually gets their hands on him, it's really hard to be sure about stuff or give truly good technical details about how he operates. I do plan to branch out beyond "G&W only" in smash 4, but if he's good, I'll definitely always maintain a pocket G&W so I'm still really interested in how he turns out!

shapular

Smash Ace
I watched some streamed footage of G&W yesterday; here's what I noticed as a G&W main in Brawl:

-By and large, G&W seems to have seen some buffs and some nerfs, quite possibly net positive. He seems all around faster (especially grounded mobility), but his attacks also seem less persistent (lingering hitboxes was G&W's big specialty in Brawl, and I kinda felt like most of his stuff just lingered less in smash 4).
-Jab finisher has an awkward looking animation, seems relatively inferior to others (still a big improvement on his useless rapid jab).
-Utilt is way, way faster now.
-Ftilt and dtilt seem about the same, but dtilt seems to persist for a little less long (maybe?).
-Usmash may linger less but is otherwise very similar looking.
-Fsmash has a new and horrible animation. Less range, way less persistant hitbox, still looks really unsafe on block.
-Dsmash has... substantially more range!!! I wasn't able to see hit properties or get a good sense of its speed; it maybe is a little slower, but the animation is different enough with the bigger hammers that it could easily be an optical illusion.
-New dash attack, hilarious looking but also looks worse than the Brawl one.
-Chef seems to generate food at a wider array of possible angles, otherwise seems the same.
-Judgment Hammer is still really bad, slow, no range.
-Fire is like in Brawl except it falls way slower with the chute out. Thank you for random buffs to G&W's best moves?
-Oil Panic seems a little less punishable on whiff (pulling out bucket, not getting anything). Hard to say. Was used on the ground, cannot comment on momentum properties.
-Nair has the exact same animation as Brawl, great news for G&W for sure. I can't tell if it juggles as well; the player never got a clean hit.
-Fair has the same naimation as Brawl as well, can't tell if it hits as hard as before. It may be a bit less persistent, hard to say.
-Turtle, the greatest move, was back in full glory. I couldn't confirm the landing hitbox; everything else looked identical down to the animation.
-Uair still has the wind, still hits with at least some force absurdly far from G&W. Hit nearly the entire vertical distance of FD on Master Hand (could tell because his % meter flashed).
-Dair is still plunging. I wasn't able to confirm if he could still air control during it unlike every other character with a plunging dair.
-Uthrow is the same as ever, fthrow seems to throw at a lower angle (either that or this player was using worst DI, DIing down to die earlier to the fthrow, can't be sure on that one). Bthrow and dthrow weren't used. Pummel still looks really slow but maybe a bit less slow than Brawl.
-G&W's utaunt and side taunt are the same as Brawl. His "flipping people off" taunt has been replaced with a "napping on the ground" taunt that is pretty funny itself.
-G&W's shield actually covers his whole body, unlike Melee but like Brawl. Just thought I'd confirm that point.

I really wish I was able to be more sure about stuff; G&W was looking pretty good in that footage, mostly being used by the AI and preventing himself from being unlocked. Unfortunately, until a skilled G&W main actually gets their hands on him, it's really hard to be sure about stuff or give truly good technical details about how he operates. I do plan to branch out beyond "G&W only" in smash 4, but if he's good, I'll definitely always maintain a pocket G&W so I'm still really interested in how he turns out!
Since you did this, I'll give my input:
-Less lingering may not matter depending on other buffs.
-Love ftilt's animation. May be more powerful (close to PM level? *fingers crossed*).
-I actually like fsmash's animation. The range does look mega nerfed, maybe back to Melee range.
-I was like "dude!!!!" when I first saw new dsmash. Maybe the sweetspot will be bigger too (although Brawl sourspot is lovely).
-Dash attack looks like it might be pretty strong, although it's hard to tell in Classic mode. May even kill at high percents. If it still stage spikes, it'll be better than Brawl due to the new ledge mechanics.
-Chef appears to have low endlag. It may finally be a decent option in neutral.
-I didn't see any Judgments hit but hopefully the numbers other than 6 and 9 got buffed. If it's anywhere close to PM in general effectiveness, it may finally be worth using. If not, hopefully we get some good customs for Judgment and Bucket.
-None of the streamers used Fire much. If it really does fall slower, hopefully it still drifts as fast as in Brawl. I hope it still kills off the side, and it would be nice if you could attack out of it a little bit sooner.
-I'm hoping for some usable custom Buckets. Without hitstun cancelling it's almost useless in most matchups, even if it still momentum cancels.
-At first I thought fair had less landing lag, but I'm not sure. Either way, still bad on shield.
-Lack of SDI will make bair as amazing as it was in Brawl's early days. Hopefully it still has the hitlag so it looks good to land. It's not nearly as satisfying in Melee and PM.
-Uair looked pretty strong. It may have some legit kill potential. But once again, Classic mode.
-I'm not sure if it was uthrow or dthrow, but one of his throws looked a lot like Melee dthrow. Even at high percents, it hardly sent the opponent anywhere at all. May have set knockback. Imagine if it comboed into up smash.
-G&W's shield seemed to break more easily than other characters against Master Hand, but maybe he just got hit more.
-I love the new light blue color. The sky blue in Brawl was an eyesore. I didn't see any other new colors, but I'm hoping for white.
-G&W should have good combo potential off nair, bair, uair, utilt, throws, and maybe up B.
-Call me crazy, but G&W looked heavier (Classic mode disclaimer). He may actually be able to take a hit in this game.

Last edited:

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
I was wondering... Do we know if Mr. Game & Watch's Final Smash remains the same?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'm still not convinced until Nintendo confirms and or deconfirms G&W (though he's probably in the game anyhow). So, I'll probably be gone for a while until people stop hating on me, but until then I leave with this:

Even with R.O.B., G&W, and all the newcomers, I'm going to say it now. In my opinion, this is the worst Smash roster yet. The rest of the newcomers I could honestly care less for, and one of my 3 mains is cut (ICies). If the 3DS can't handle everything you wanted to include on it, you probably shoulda only made it for the Wii U. Until I come back for a while, I'm outta here.

I hate the 3DS version. I dunno how, but I knew it would ruin everything from the start.

Last edited:

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'm still not convinced until Nintendo confirms and or deconfirms G&W (though he's probably in the game anyhow). So, I'll probably be gone for a while until people stop hating on me, but until then I leave with this:

Even with R.O.B., G&W, and all the newcomers, I'm going to say it now. In my opinion, this is the worst Smash roster yet. The rest of the newcomers I could honestly care less for, and one of my 3 mains is cut (ICies). If the 3DS can't handle everything you wanted to include on it, you probably shoulda only made it for the Wii U. Until I come back for a while, I'm outta here.

I hate the 3DS version. I dunno how, but I knew it would ruin everything from the start.
Yeah. That 13-hour stream could have easily been pieced together by an elaborate faker to troll us two days before release.

Come on, man. Healthy skepticism is fine, but you're still expressing doubt at this point?

shapular

Smash Ace

Considering that G&W is in the game, it's kind of hard to deny that G&W is in the game.

I think this roster is fantastic. I love all the newcomers even though I didn't want any of them (I didn't have any real wants other than Krystal). I think they more than make up for the losses (screw Snake, I'm ambivalent on ICs, but I'll miss Lucas and Wolf). I don't think the ICs were removed because of any 3DS limitation. I think it was more because they probably weren't very popular, and it's hard to make them good without accidentally giving them something broken (although it's probable the chaingrab immunity would have avoided this).

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Not convinced of what? We saw everything.

I'm with you on the disappointing newcomers though. And the cut vets. My poor Lucas.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
**** those stupid 3DS limitations. My ICies are gone, as is my hype for this game. Better be Wii U exclusive or DLC or SOMETHING, elsewise I'll use DHD as my punching bag.

Top Bottom