• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

Hold on just a second.

Captain Falcon shows up in a trailer with no banner and he's on the website.

Mr. Game & Watch does too yet he isn't. :ohwell:

Not saying he's cut, but why no actual confirmation?

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hold on just a second.

Captain Falcon shows up in a trailer with no banner and he's on the website.

Mr. Game & Watch does too yet he isn't. :ohwell:

Not saying he's cut, but why no actual confirmation?
Because Sakurai didn't show gameplay of him.
I'm guessing that's the excuse.

D

Deleted member

I blame Game & Watch not having an assist trophy, his always being hidden, and lack of gameplay.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I blame Game & Watch not having an assist trophy, his always being hidden, and lack of gameplay.
The Game & Watch series needs more representation than a playable character and a stage. We need an AT and an item(s). Then again, Olimar, Snake, FE characters and I think a few other characters/series are also lacking in this. R.O.B. doesn't even have his own stage!

Last edited:

Orb Of Orbiting Owls

Smash Rookie
As many other people have said a lot, I really hope Mr. Game & Watch returns to the new Smash Bros. Now that Captain Falcon has been announced as a playable character, Game & Watch is the only one remaining on my wishlist. I don't see why they shouldn't add him.

If they choose not to add Mr. Game & Watch, then I hope they represent the Game & Watch series in some way. If they remove the playable character, then atleast keep the stage (or make Flatzone 3), or add an assist trophy/item even with Game & Watch elements.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
As many other people have said a lot, I really hope Mr. Game & Watch returns to the new Smash Bros. Now that Captain Falcon has been announced as a playable character, Game & Watch is the only one remaining on my wishlist. I don't see why they shouldn't add him.

If they choose not to add Mr. Game & Watch, then I hope they represent the Game & Watch series in some way. If they remove the playable character, then atleast keep the stage (or make Flatzone 3), or add an assist trophy/item even with Game & Watch elements.
He was confirmed at E3, though they're trying to act like nothing happened and still try to hide him.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The sooner we see Mr. Game and Watch, the better.

With that said, I expect him to show up post-release.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
G&W could always appear in another Vetran's video, or they could try and keep him, the ice climbers, R.O.B etc. However, R.O.B. could easily fit in a Xenoblade Reveal and G&W or Wario could fit in a Rhythm Heaven one. Who knows though.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Calling it now: Flat Zone 3 on 3DS will be the top part of a Multi-Screen game and will be based on a game that had the same or similar layout of the 3DS's button layout.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
At least Mr. Game & Watch has been teased, so I'm relatively safe with the assumption that he's in the game. He's such an iconic character in Smash Bros, not to mention video gaming in general! I'd be very upset if he didn't make it into Smash 4, considering that his play style is a lot of fun!

By the way, has anyone noticed that G&W looks a little different in the Pac-Man trailer? His hands are more rounded, and his limbs are a little thinner... Perhaps he's been given a different character design for the new games...
Regardless, I think it's safe to say he's confirmed, or teased.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
At least Mr. Game & Watch has been teased, so I'm relatively safe with the assumption that he's in the game. He's such an iconic character in Smash Bros, not to mention video gaming in general! I'd be very upset if he didn't make it into Smash 4, considering that his play style is a lot of fun!

By the way, has anyone noticed that G&W looks a little different in the Pac-Man trailer? His hands are more rounded, and his limbs are a little thinner... Perhaps he's been given a different character design for the new games...
Regardless, I think it's safe to say he's confirmed, or teased.
It has something to do with making his proportions match closer to the designs in the Game & Watch or something according to this post:
I actually went back and played Game and Watch Gallery 4 a week ago. If anything, his appearance in the trailer is more in line with some of the G&W titles than his original proportions were. My guess is that they want him to look like a blend of various G&W characters rather than just the protagonist from Fire.
Game & Watch Gallery had a tendency to modify or outright butcher the appearance of the G&W characters so they fit the Gameboy's screen (I remember Fire was a huge example of this; the firemen especially looked nothing like how they appeared on the G&W; this doesn't even bring into account how missing would cause the game to suddenly break with how the G&W LCDs worked. Sprites would overlap (something impossible with the G&W's type of screen) when the new animation of a fallen character walking off the screen played, which didn't happen in the original because of how the LCDs were designed (if more than one sprite shares any single spot on the screen with another, all sprites sharing that position will light up instead of what the programmers intended; technically it might be possible to have overlapping sprites by using multiple electrode sheets, but that would likely make the programming very complex), so comparing Mr. Game & Watch's design against G&WG isn't really reliable.

tl;dr: Game & Watch Gallery is way too different from how Game & Watches operated to base Mr. Game & Watch's design and animations on.

Last edited:

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
Mr. Game and Watch is a most definite returning cast member, but the main question is how he will be portrayed in this game.
Will his N-Air be Melee's or Brawl's? Will his recovery float? No one can really say, but I think his chances are 100% at this point.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
I made a thing for G&W's potential custom moveset.
:gw:Mr. Game and Watch Movesets::gw:
Neutral Bs:
1- Chef: Works exactly like in Melee and Brawl.
2- Mega Chef: Sends out a giant piece of food, which inflicts fire damage that lingers.
3- Egg: A small egg flies out of the pan at a fast rate.

Side Bs:
1- Judgement: Works just like in Melee and Brawl.
2- All or Nothing: Only drops numbers “0” or “10”. “0” Causes the opponent to get a free final smash. “10” gives Mr. Game and Watch a final smash. Doesn’t cause anything when someone else has a final smash ready.
3- Balanced: A quick version of judgement, but only with “5” as a number.

Up Bs:
1- Fire: Works like Brawl’s recovery.
2- Nostalgic Fire: Works like Project M’s recovery.
3- Gentle Fire: Very bad recovery, but can be used 3-5 times in the air.

Down Bs:

1- Oil Spill: Works like Melee’s and Brawl’s.
2- Lion: Sends Mr. Game and Watch flying horizontally, with a lion head. Based on Lion.
3- Vermin: A small mole pops out of the bucket. Based on Vermin.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Something tells me especially with :gw: The smash team had trouble with the whole outline thing, which I'm most certainly using for this game
Since he already has an outline, I don't know what problems they would have unless the code that created the outline isn't working on the 3DS/Wii U. In Melee, it was always opaque. In Brawl, it could either be opaque, semitransparent, outright missing, or a mix of any of those 3 states. With the 3DS being a rather basic system, I can see how it could have problems dealing with such code alone with doing all sorts of wacky transformations on a flattened 3D model (while it is entirely possible for G&W to use a preflattened model, he uses a 3D one to make him easier to animate and work with compared to if he used a 2D model, which would have to be redrawn from scratch rather than just reposed; the firemen from his Up+B use a 2D model because they only have 2 possible unmodifiable "read-only" poses, where G&W can take any pose the game wants him to).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Mr. Game and Watch will be coming back. I think the tease at the end of Pac-man's trailer proves this, along with him being on the whiteboard drawing. I'm hoping for G&W to be confirmed soon, though I think he'll be confirmed closer to the 3DS release date. Either way, he's back. I had him as a secondary in Brawl, and I have never gotten bored of playing as him. He has so many nifty moves, I just don't see him getting cut. Hoping to see him back for the next iteration of Smash.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Mr. Game and Watch will be coming back. I think the tease at the end of Pac-man's trailer proves this, along with him being on the whiteboard drawing. I'm hoping for G&W to be confirmed soon, though I think he'll be confirmed closer to the 3DS release date. Either way, he's back. I had him as a secondary in Brawl, and I have never gotten bored of playing as him. He has so many nifty moves, I just don't see him getting cut. Hoping to see him back for the next iteration of Smash.
It's already been well reestablished (and restated numerous times) that he's back. The only problem is that Sakurai won't officially reveal him, though with that Game Boy stage shown a few hours ago, I expect to see him soon. Then again, Sakurai's a troll so probably not. I know Miiverse was talking about G&W when they saw the stage.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It's already been well reestablished (and restated numerous times) that he's back. The only problem is that Sakurai won't officially reveal him, though with that Game Boy stage shown a few hours ago, I expect to see him soon. Then again, Sakurai's a troll so probably not. I know Miiverse was talking about G&W when they saw the stage.
Ya. When I saw it, I was thinking G&W (character, not stage) as well. I think G&W will be revealed soon. Perhaps next week? Possibly. I wonder what his home stage for the Wii U version will be...

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Ya. When I saw it, I was thinking G&W (character, not stage) as well. I think G&W will be revealed soon. Perhaps next week? Possibly. I wonder what his home stage for the Wii U version will be...
I hope it's next week. And if they use that modern G&W Gallery stuff in Flat Zone 3, I am going to raeg.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't been revealed already. The Pac-man trailer gave a HUGE tease towards him, and no actual confirmation yet. I do think it is time to reveal him, since they've had some time to work on him since his tease. Maybe they'll reveal him during the August Nintendo Direct? Hopefully he's back soon, because I'm very impatient for my mains to come back.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I'm planning on getting a 3DS on eBay. I have several options (all prices are as of this writing):
- a regular red 3DS with 2 games (My Amusement Park: Digging For Dinosaurs and Petz: Ocean Patrol) and a SD card that includes a charger but might not have a stylus for $16 (can't buy until Monday)
- another regular red 3DS with a charger and likely no stylus (or SD card), but has 3 games (Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D Land and some Transformers game) for $20.50 (can't buy until Tuesday)
- yet another regular 3DS, this time blue, with all of the above except an SD card (stylus unknown) and only has New Super Mario Bros 2 for $11.51 (can't buy until Thursday)
- a black XL with literally the whole package but no games or SD card for $14.25 (can't buy until Thursday)
- same as above (still an XL), but it's pink (!) and new for $13.98 (can't buy until Monday)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I personally think the gameboy stage is actually a Game & Watch stage. It fits with how he has been using the actual Game & Watch for stages in past games. He upgraded to gameboy. :p

If this is the case, I fully expect Game & Watch: Gallery stuff to appear. (What ever gets the Fire and/or Octopus music to get in this game).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Now if only we could get a G&W item...
Also, check out an article I found under the Smash Bros for Wii U General Discussion, then Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS Information Thread.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
well, after metaknight stun that sakurai did earlier, i believe that any little doubt about G&W is dispelled. I still don't think he will confirm him before japan release date.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Actually, I've found three websites that state Nintendo said they will reveal the full roster later this month so...maybe we get the full roster this month? But ya, that MK stunt does boost G&W's chances at coming back, not like most people had a doubt about it anyway.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Since custom specials are a thing, I'd really like to see one of the side special variants cycle from 1 to 9 in order rather than randomly. It wouldn't be that much different from other charging moves in terms of time to "fully charge" or in power.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Personally, I'd like that, but I don't think it will happen. You could just spam Judge at the start of each match until you pass "8", then wait for the right moment to hit with "9" and end it. But, we must remember, SAKURAI is making the game...ANYTHING is possible (practically).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Mr. Game & Watch's custom specials are going to be weird.

They could either go the Mario route where the specials just act a little differently, or they could even go the megaman route and have them not only work differently, but have them base it off something else entirely.

With that said, I'm going to try my hand at custom specials:

Up B
Custom 1 - Parachute(Modern): This is probably cheating see how its not from the original Game & Watch games, but it would certainly be interesting if some of the customs borrowed from the Gallery games. Here is an example of that with Parachute(Modern). What happens is that Mr. Game & Watch shoots diagonally, (but more horizontally), out of a canon. You become a hitbox. The obvious downside is lack of vertical recovery.
Custom 2 - Restricted Fire: Pretty much Rosalina's Up special

Neutral B
Custom 1 - Egg: Goes more horizontally, comes out faster, but the eggs are weaker then the bacon. The eggs also have a chance of dropping recovery items.

Custom 2 - Rain Shower: This one is a little complicated, so bear with me. So first off, instead of bacon you have little raindrops with a tiny hitbox. You can only shoot out 2 raindrops as oppose to the 5 bacon. The raindrops also go up in a high vertical arch meaning the raindrops will go very high and land closer to you. The thing about the raindrops though is that if they managed to hit the opponent, they do quite a bit a damage and have quite the knock back. I don't know if I would call it a KO move, but there is still a bit of knock back.

Side B
Custom 1 - Safe Judgement: Will consistently give you a 5 or 6, but you will never get any of the other numbers.

Custom 2 - Risky Judgement: Only 1s and 9s appear. You have a 75% chance of getting 1s but, your chance of getting a 9 is raised to 25% as oppose to the original 14%, ( which including the exclusion of the previous two numbers used).

Down B
Custom 1 - Reflection Panic: Immediately sends the energy projectile right back at the opponent.

Custom 2 - Oil Slip-up: Every time you use your down b, oil will fly out in a small arch out of the bucket. Wherever the oil lands will cause a small part of that stage to then be covered with the oil. On the oil part of the stage, all opponents have a chance of tripping by 50%. The user is unaffected. You can only have 3 oil splatters on the field at a time. After a certain amount of time, the oil will disappear and you can use another one.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Mr. Game & Watch's custom specials are going to be weird.

They could either go the Mario route where the specials just act a little differently, or they could even go the megaman route and have them not only work differently, but have them base it off something else entirely.

With that said, I'm going to try my hand at custom specials:

Up B
Custom 1 - Parachute(Modern): This is probably cheating see how its not from the original Game & Watch games, but it would certainly be interesting if some of the customs borrowed from the Gallery games. Here is an example of that with Parachute(Modern). What happens is that Mr. Game & Watch shoots diagonally, (but more horizontally), out of a canon. You become a hitbox. The obvious downside is lack of vertical recovery.
Custom 2 - Restricted Fire: Pretty much Rosalina's Up special

Neutral B
Custom 1 - Egg: Goes more horizontally, comes out faster, but the eggs are weaker then the bacon. The eggs also have a chance of dropping recovery items.

Custom 2 - Rain Shower: This one is a little complicated, so bear with me. So first off, instead of bacon you have little raindrops with a tiny hitbox. You can only shoot out 2 raindrops as oppose to the 5 bacon. The raindrops also go up in a high vertical arch meaning the raindrops will go very high and land closer to you. The thing about the raindrops though is that if they managed to hit the opponent, they do quite a bit a damage and have quite the knock back. I don't know if I would call it a KO move, but there is still a bit of knock back.

Side B
Custom 1 - Safe Judgement: Will consistently give you a 5 or 6, but you will never get any of the other numbers.

Custom 2 - Risky Judgement: Only 1s and 9s appear. You have a 75% chance of getting 1s but, your chance of getting a 9 is raised to 25% as oppose to the original 14%, ( which including the exclusion of the previous two numbers used).

Down B
Custom 1 - Reflection Panic: Immediately sends the energy projectile right back at the opponent.

Custom 2 - Oil Slip-up: Every time you use your down b, oil will fly out in a small arch out of the bucket. Wherever the oil lands will cause a small part of that stage to then be covered with the oil. On the oil part of the stage, all opponents have a chance of tripping by 50%. The user is unaffected. You can only have 3 oil splatters on the field at a time. After a certain amount of time, the oil will disappear and you can use another one.
While I enjoy just the thought of some of these custom moves, I don't see the Raindrop Shower. The Safe & Risky Judgment though, I would enjoy that. Only 1s and 9s? That's a great idea, nice job coming up with that. Oil Slip-Up also sounds neat, but I would think maybe only one or two "oil puddles" on the field at once. I think those are some really great custom moves for G&W, so good job.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Mr. Game & Watch, along with Ganondorf, are my only 2 characters remaining that I absolutely NEED on the latest roster. My one unrealistic character hope would be a Castlevania character like Simon Belmont, but I don't think that's possible.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Mr. Game & Watch, along with Ganondorf, are my only 2 characters remaining that I absolutely NEED on the latest roster. My one unrealistic character hope would be a Castlevania character like Simon Belmont, but I don't think that's possible.
Although I honestly wouldn't care if Simon Belmont is in or not, I should say to you that this IS Smash Bros...made by Masahiro Sakurai...ANYTHING is possible.

What kinds of stages would be for Mr. Game and Watch if he were to get one stage on the 3DS and one on Wii U? I'm pretty sure a "Flat Zone 3" stage would be a given, but for which device? And what would be the G&W stage for the other? Any thoughts?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Although I honestly wouldn't care if Simon Belmont is in or not, I should say to you that this IS Smash Bros...made by Masahiro Sakurai...ANYTHING is possible.

What kinds of stages would be for Mr. Game and Watch if he were to get one stage on the 3DS and one on Wii U? I'm pretty sure a "Flat Zone 3" stage would be a given, but for which device? And what would be the G&W stage for the other? Any thoughts?
I honestly think this is our Game & Watch stage for the 3ds:

I think it will be based of the Game & Watch: Gallery games. They might try to use the old Flatzones for the Wii U version seeing how there weren't any console Game & Watch games.

Top Bottom