• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Question: would we have to make another combo sharing thread for release or do we unlock the one already made?
Other than that glad to see that Nairo dropped by last night to answer some questions I wanted to ask him if Corrin can edgeguard offstage as well as marth and be able to make it back. I guess that's more of a question for tomorrow. Also what estimate would we make about the size of Nair?
There's a combo thread already?
Raziek said he'd lock this thread on release, so we'll have to migrate.
I can't really say about the edgeguarding power of Corrin, but I'm confident in it.
And Nair looks to be approaching the size of Bowser's Nair, considering the sword range and all.
Aesthetically, how big is Omega Yato? (lovin' the name)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Instead, I was thinking that down-angled F-smash would work wonders for many characters' recoveries. For one example, like you mentioned, Little Mac: F-Smash covers Side-B (stand near the ledge so it goes offstage), and if he goes low to try and Up-B, use your disjointed D-air to hit through the stage.
Speaking of which, the dair spike we saw has me curious. Depending on how much range it has, could we potentially pull off what Toon Link does with his dair, using it right next to the ledge to spike people who come too close?

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Speaking of which, the dair spike we saw has me curious. Depending on how much range it has, could we potentially pull off what Toon Link does with his dair, using it right next to the ledge to spike people who come too close?
Didn't someone on this thread say that it was like Fox's, functionally? I'm hoping for a Kirby-like multihit meteor.
How could you tell it was a spike? Could you upload a GIF?

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
So from the empty DL where they can tech, I have a couple of ideas that can punish some options. This is assuming if they don't tech. If they do tech, you might actually get punished yourself. Watched the video slowly here https://youtu.be/_qj8O07Kg_I?t=314 and if Wario were to have teched that then he might have been ready before Corrin.

So this is where people will be if they miss the tech. So let's see what things covers more options shall we?

The roll away (will be most common)
  • Forward smash should for sure cover it
  • DFS possibly too
  • Maybe a dash grab
The get up attack
  • Shield then shield grab or do another OOS option
  • Charging forward smash. Remember the Yato sword hitbox corrin has when charging a hitbox. Maybe it'll beat a get up attack?
  • Short hop and punish with an aerial
The neutral get up (would be the dumbest option to pick)
  • Charging forward smash is once again looking like a good option
  • DFS. DFS will cover the roll away but if they neutral get up they'll get hit by the bite that also shield breaks
  • Down smash if it's fast enough
  • Literally anything else not laggy. So tilts and aerials
The roll in (as you can see from the picture, Wario would end up behind Corrin)
  • Down smash for obvious reasons
  • Turn around forward smash
  • Tilts and aerials
So if we're trying to secure a stock, we probably wouldn't use tilts unless they confirmed into a kill. So I'm ignoring those for now. As you can see, forward smash (not including turn around forward smash) covers 3 out of 4 options. DFS covers 2/4 options. Down smash covers 2/4 options. So if we're trying to get a kill, forward smash looks like our best choice if we had to guess what option our opponent would pick.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Zult Zult
Don't forget that Dsmash has huge reach. It's possible that it'll cover all the options with good spacing. I doubt it though unless you're against a character with terrible tech rolls like bowser or mac.

Also I don't think anything in this game beats get-up attack.

Last edited:

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Zult Zult
Don't forget that Dsmash has huge reach. It's possible that it'll cover all the options with good spacing. I doubt it though unless you're against a character with terrible tech rolls like bowser or mac.

Also I don't think anything in this game beats get-up attack.
I still am not sure on the exact range of down smash. Is it shown in a video somewhere where it's not super zoomed in on Corrin?

And nothing beats get up attack? Are you sure? This is news to me.

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
I still am not sure on the exact range of down smash. Is it shown in a video somewhere where it's not super zoomed in on Corrin?

And nothing beats get up attack? Are you sure? This is news to me.
Every get-up attack has some frames of invincibility which is what I assume the wording meant to point out. You can still beat the option by either hitting their missed tech before the invincibility frames of get-up attack or by hitting them once those frames have run out.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Every get-up attack has some frames of invincibility which is what I assume the wording meant to point out. You can still beat the option by either hitting their missed tech before the invincibility frames of get-up attack or by hitting them once those frames have run out.
Well in that case, it all depends how fast Corrin act out of DL. Hopefully fast enough before they can choose an option. Less than 24hours before I hit the lab

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
User was warned for this double post
so could the DL cancel potentially work like Ganon's choke? even if it doesn't go through shields, it immediately sets up a tech chase situation. If they roll, you could DL that way to reset the situation. Or you can read the neutral get up and retreat, only to DL back. it could be similar. Also, Corrin's fair seems to be like what people wanted for marth in terms of lag. It looks really good to me. I saw it set up into Uair. could Fair be a kill confirm?

Also, offstage, the DL does not seem to spike, but rather semi spike. Also, it does like 15% and killed marth offstage at 85% this moves is looking to be pretty powerful. Also, if spaced right, you could DL to cover the ledge, making the sword point down right off the ledge. This could be an awesome edgeguard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Also, offstage, the DL does not seem to spike, but rather semi spike. Also, it does like 15% and killed marth offstage at 85% this moves is looking to be pretty powerful. Also, if spaced right, you could DL to cover the ledge, making the sword point down right off the ledge. This could be an awesome edgeguard.
Not to mention how it's most likely all disjoint. Imagine fighting someone with a straight-line recovery like Fox and stabbing them right out of it!

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Also, Fair strings into more Fair it seems until it starts stringing into Uair due to it's upward knockback. It seems to have some serious combo potential, and is maybe a kill set up?

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Not to mention how it's most likely all disjoint. Imagine fighting someone with a straight-line recovery like Fox and stabbing them right out of it!
You have me at "stabbing Fox".
Oh the joy.
I don't think you can extend DL the way Ganon players can continually Flame Choke you, but it's worth a shot.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
I wonder if DL can be used as a jab reset

like if somebody misses their tech, you can pin their prone body to the ground and then cancel DL, which causes the opponent into a forced get up.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Before this thread is closed, I'm planning on making a thread so we can still communicate with the people who've been here all along. I'd love to chat with the same group I've hung out with (So we can discuss moves, setups, etc and have it not be flooded with great info spread among many pages. Maybe one thread for discussion and another for tried and true Kamui tactics that way we can pool all the knowledge under spoiler tags and have it properly categorized?).

Any ideas on a title?

Let me know what's the plan soon so when I checked this closed thread tomorrow I'll know what's up.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Any ideas on a title?
  • Draconic Research (Moveset Discussion)
  • Way of the Dragon (Corrin Tips and Tactics)
  • How to Train Your Corrin (Could be either, if not then someone should make this a guide title lol)

I'm VERY excited to play my new main tomorrow. Something I know I'll be playing around with a lot on day 1 is figuring out any possible throw combos, and also seeing what maneuvering tactics I can come up with for B-air

Gemzelda_ss

Smash Cadet
NNID
gemzelda_ss
So from the empty DL where they can tech, I have a couple of ideas that can punish some options. This is assuming if they don't tech. If they do tech, you might actually get punished yourself. Watched the video slowly here https://youtu.be/_qj8O07Kg_I?t=314 and if Wario were to have teched that then he might have been ready before Corrin.

So this is where people will be if they miss the tech. So let's see what things covers more options shall we?

The roll away (will be most common)
  • Forward smash should for sure cover it
  • DFS possibly too
  • Maybe a dash grab
The get up attack
  • Shield then shield grab or do another OOS option
  • Charging forward smash. Remember the Yato sword hitbox corrin has when charging a hitbox. Maybe it'll beat a get up attack?
  • Short hop and punish with an aerial
The neutral get up (would be the dumbest option to pick)
  • Charging forward smash is once again looking like a good option
  • DFS. DFS will cover the roll away but if they neutral get up they'll get hit by the bite that also shield breaks
  • Down smash if it's fast enough
  • Literally anything else not laggy. So tilts and aerials
The roll in (as you can see from the picture, Wario would end up behind Corrin)
  • Down smash for obvious reasons
  • Turn around forward smash
  • Tilts and aerials
So if we're trying to secure a stock, we probably wouldn't use tilts unless they confirmed into a kill. So I'm ignoring those for now. As you can see, forward smash (not including turn around forward smash) covers 3 out of 4 options. DFS covers 2/4 options. Down smash covers 2/4 options. So if we're trying to get a kill, forward smash looks like our best choice if we had to guess what option our opponent would pick.
I was thinking if you are up against someone who u know is really spot on with their teaching and usually techs in place then you can always jump and bait their tech and punish with dair/ any other falling aerial . If they roll tech then just wait, then u can do fair or falling nair into their direction. With rolling behind i dont know if bair has enough reach but I'm hoping it does. Hopefully we get some things we can do with this on release day!

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Just popping into say I hope there's some weird b-reverse/wavebounce jukes you can pull with Corrin's specials and b-air boost.

Zoyah

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think Corrin will have bigger benefit from using c-stick as attack or smash? Since f-tilt could be good in neutral attack may help with perfect pivots if Corrin can make practical use of them.

I think I'll probably use smash since I'm more accustomed to that and when I tried attack it felt really unnatural and I didn't really use it at all

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Do you guys think Corrin will have bigger benefit from using c-stick as attack or smash? Since f-tilt could be good in neutral attack may help with perfect pivots if Corrin can make practical use of them.

I think I'll probably use smash since I'm more accustomed to that and when I tried attack it felt really unnatural and I didn't really use it at all
I'm thinking tilts for c stick would be best for corrin, mainly since D-Tilt oos and walk up D-tilt seem like corrin's best method of racking up damage.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915

Tilt Stick, IMO. Corrin's Tilts all seem solid, and having easier access to them is a big boon for the character. Also, I'd say give Tilt Stick at least a week before changing your mind. It felt unnatural to me when I first tried it, but now I wouldn't go into battle without it.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Tilt Stick, IMO. Corrin's Tilts all seem solid, and having easier access to them is a big boon for the character. Also, I'd say give Tilt Stick at least a week before changing your mind. It felt unnatural to me when I first tried it, but now I wouldn't go into battle without it.
As a Pit main, I always used smash stick cause you know... frame 6 upsmash, frame 5 down smash, and frame 10 forward smash. And his tilts didn't warrant a change to tilt stick. I'm also not really into perfect pivoting, at least not yet. For me it's gonna depend how much I'll use Corrin's smash attacks.

Before this thread is closed, I'm planning on making a thread so we can still communicate with the people who've been here all along. I'd love to chat with the same group I've hung out with (So we can discuss moves, setups, etc and have it not be flooded with great info spread among many pages. Maybe one thread for discussion and another for tried and true Kamui tactics that way we can pool all the knowledge under spoiler tags and have it properly categorized?).

Any ideas on a title?

Let me know what's the plan soon so when I checked this closed thread tomorrow I'll know what's up.
I won't be here tomorrow for the initial discussion because I'll be studying for a test I have Thursday. But this weekend I'll be in the lab with you guys. Going to a tournament called TGC Saturday here in Houston that Zero, ESAM, etc will be attending and plan to be using all Corrin. I'll let you guys know how I do. I'm only like a top 30 player here which is aight for a huge city, so I don't expect to make top top 16 or top 32 at a tournament Zero is attending with my baby Corrin, but I'll still give it a shot!

Last edited:

Gemzelda_ss

Smash Cadet
NNID
gemzelda_ss

Any ideas on a title?

Maybe, for discussion- "Dragon Tales"
and as for tactics i love Maraphy Maraphy suggestion "How to train your corrin" but add "How to train your Corrin: Tips & Tricks when the fight seems to Drag-on" idek if you can make the title that long.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Enough with the redundant dragon puns lol. Perhaps we can make it fire emblem related too?

For meta game/moveset discussion it can be "Preparing to Advance". Matchup discussion can be "Swords at Dawn"

I really like "way of the dragon". Maybe it should be for advanced tech?

I'll take charge of the matchup discussion thread.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
In reference to :
a)Aqua
b)Corrin
c)A useful unit in FE
d)My favorite book
Why not call the thread "A Dance With Dragons"?

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I'm gonna put my money on DL cancel being techable. And I'm willing to bet that Corrin won't have any practical jab resets.

There's no way that they'd give Corrin an easy-bake jab reset combo like that. Look at Ganondorf and Mewtwo. In ganon's case, nothing resets out of side b. In Mewtwos, confusion is techable and you can jump/attack before you hit the ground. To have true combos out of DL cancel would really not make a whole lot of sense from a balance standpoint. Feel free to disagree with me until he's released.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
As a Pit main, I always used smash stick cause you know... frame 6 upsmash, frame 5 down smash, and frame 10 forward smash. And his tilts didn't warrant a change to tilt stick. I'm also not really into perfect pivoting, at least not yet. For me it's gonna depend how much I'll use Corrin's smash attacks.
Ah. My experience speaks as an Ike main, as Ike's smashes.....aren't good outside of MAYBE USmash, haha.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I'm gonna put my money on DL cancel being techable. And I'm willing to bet that Corrin won't have any practical jab resets.

There's no way that they'd give Corrin an easy-bake jab reset combo like that. Look at Ganondorf and Mewtwo. In ganon's case, nothing resets out of side b. In Mewtwos, confusion is techable and you can jump/attack before you hit the ground. To have true combos out of DL cancel would really not make a whole lot of sense from a balance standpoint. Feel free to disagree with me until he's released.
I'm hoping that Kamui can get a jab-lock; preferably Dragon Lunge but any will do (as long as it's not really specific as Shulk's). When I hit the lab, the first myth I will debunk is whether I can confirm a jab-lock into F-Smash's charging hitbox.

D

Deleted member

It would probably be a good idea to consult @Raziek or M@v on what would be reasonable before you go about making threads outside of the basics like MU and Q&A threads so that threads which may be unnecessary aren't made willy-nilly.

Never thought I'd actually use that term in a sentence lol.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
It would probably be a good idea to consult @Raziek or M@v on what would be reasonable before you go about making threads outside of the basics like MU and Q&A threads so that threads which may be unnecessary aren't made willy-nilly.

Never thought I'd actually use that term in a sentence lol.
That's where I stand on this "minute" issue too. Ergo I planned to have one thread so we could post our finds and continue the discussion we have ongoing and another thread that could possibly be made down the line (maybe a month or two after today?) that could all the concrete facts about Kamui.

Zult Zult Where is TGC? I remember hearing about it on the Houston Smash 4 facebook page. If it's not to far I'd love to go. I bet it's in another city right?

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
The maintenance schedule makes it sound like 6:30 pm for you fellas. Which means I get it at 5:00 am the next morning ;_;
I'm not sure though. Can someone clarify?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
The maintenance schedule makes it sound like 6:30 pm for you fellas. Which means I get it at 5:00 am the next morning ;_;
I'm not sure though. Can someone clarify?
My time zone (along with Zult's) is CST aka Central Time Zone. The maintenance starts at 2:30 PM for us, and ends at 4:30 PM. Hope I cleared the fog up for ya'.

@Raziek You here? Mind helping me with creating a "sticky" thread since they are the first thing users see on character forums?

(If anyone knows how to get the attention of a mod, that would help a lot).

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I'm hoping that Kamui can get a jab-lock; preferably Dragon Lunge but any will do (as long as it's not really specific as Shulk's). When I hit the lab, the first myth I will debunk is whether I can confirm a jab-lock into F-Smash's charging hitbox.
Jab resets combo into anything, by definition.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
That's where I stand on this "minute" issue too. Ergo I planned to have one thread so we could post our finds and continue the discussion we have ongoing and another thread that could possibly be made down the line (maybe a month or two after today?) that could all the concrete facts about Kamui.

Zult Zult Where is TGC? I remember hearing about it on the Houston Smash 4 facebook page. If it's not to far I'd love to go. I bet it's in another city right?
Houston

D

Deleted member

My time zone (along with Zult's) is CST aka Central Time Zone. The maintenance starts at 2:30 PM for us, and ends at 4:30 PM. Hope I cleared the fog up for ya'.

@Raziek You here? Mind helping me with creating a "sticky" thread since they are the first thing users see on character forums?

(If anyone knows how to get the attention of a mod, that would help a lot).
You've actually got the time confused if you guys are in Texas. The maintenance schedule says that it will run from 4:50 pm PST to 6:30 pm PST, which is actually 2 hours behind CST, so it won't be happening until 6:50 PM CST to 8:30 PM CST, for EST that'll be bumped back another hour from 7:50 PM to 9:30 PM, lol.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
You've actually got the time confused if you guys are in Texas. The maintenance schedule says that it will run from 4:50 pm PST to 6:30 pm PST, which is actually 2 hours behind CST, so it won't be happening until 6:50 PM CST to 8:30 PM CST, for EST that'll be bumped back another hour from 7:50 PM to 9:30 PM, lol.
where did you get this time, the updates usually start at 12:00 pm pst on most games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom