• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Well, I'm opening up this thread for exactly what it says on the tin: speculation about Corrin's moveset.

For Convenience's sake, here's the trailer:

From what I can tell, they seem pretty fast. The last seconds of the trailer do nothing if not demo their movement speed, pitted against Pac's Final Smash.

It seems in a lot of ways, Corrin is like Melee/Brawl Marth (a dangerous statement to make, I know), in the fact that they have no dedicated ranged attack, but still possesses a stupid amount of melee range. A lot of the demonstration took place on Omegas so, do the math.

I haven't actually played on Ryu's stage so I couldn't give you an opinion on the Up-B's recovery. It looks better than Little Mac's though.

What other opinions are out there?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Just posted this in the Social thread. Would this be of any use to this thread?

So, I don't know if this is any help, or if someone's already done this, but I've made a few gifs for some of Corrin's unspecified attacks from the trailer.

Jab

U-Smash(?)

D-Smash(?)

N-Air(?)

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Just posted this in the Social thread. Would this be of any use to this thread?
Probably. I wonder if the transformation is a tradeoff. Perhaps sacrificing Speed for range and power? Or something similar.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ok, I've found a few more.

D-Tilt

U-Tilt

F-Tilt

F-Air

U-Air

...Dash Attack(??)

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848

D-Tilt

U-Tilt

F-Tilt

F-Air

U-Air

...Dash Attack(??)
If possible, do you think you could get gifs starting a little before the move so we can see its start up (I realize it's hard with the trailer changing scenes so often)? The dash attack and F-air are good, but the U-air, U-tilt, and F-tilt don't show much start up

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
I'm most interested to see how the Side B works. If it hits someone, if people can mash out of it, if it's a set time that it's stuck in the ground, if there is a sweet spot you have to hit, etc. The moment I saw it I instantly thought it could be used to time people out in competitive play if need be. Thoughts?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If possible, do you think you could get gifs starting a little before the move so we can see its start up (I realize it's hard with the trailer changing scenes so often)? The dash attack and F-air are good, but the U-air, U-tilt, and F-tilt don't show much start up
I tried to get as much of the start-up as I could given the speed of the trailer. Some scenes are less forgiving than others.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
I'm most interested to see how the Side B works. If it hits someone, if people can mash out of it, if it's a set time that it's stuck in the ground, if there is a sweet spot you have to hit, etc. The moment I saw it I instantly thought it could be used to time people out in competitive play if need be. Thoughts?
Not enough info as of yet, all we can do is speculate. I'm almost certain that it will be one of the first things tested in February

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
My opinion on Corrin:
I wasn't expecting it, I knew a FE character coming to smash was a possibility. I wanted Hector, Micaiah, or Ephraim... And Corrin being in Smash obviously help the sales for FE14. I just wanted a classic Fire Emblem character. I'm not mad Corrin is in. I just hope he isn't broken and super top tier along with Bayonetta.
But at the same time I already thought Fire Emblem had plenty of representation, and I kinda wish it was character for a franchise that doesn't have much or any representation. Fire Emblem has plenty, but its cool that Sakurai is giving Fire Emblem a lot of love. He's a big Fire Emblem fan like me I guess.
Or I wanted a new Zelda rep.
P.S. I really want significant Marth buffs that would make me really happy

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I'm not sure about much of the other moves, but if Corrin's back air can shorthop-autocancel, I bet it'll be super safe on shield because of the small push the move gives you.

Last edited:

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
I think they said your opponent will be pinned to the ground if the blade hits the ground. I might be wrong.
It looks like an amazing tool in doubles. I just hope Corrin isn't broken

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
The transformation stuff looks mostly animation related rather than a really mechanic outside the specials. But his specials are really interesting especially side b.

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
I like the fact than the dragon parts are the same color than Corrin alt

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
It seems like we have enough from the gifs to measure startup on jab and dtilt - anyone feel confident in taking a crack at it?

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979

D-Tilt

U-Tilt

F-Tilt

F-Air

U-Air

...Dash Attack(??)
While it's a bit hard to tell on some of them, Corrin looks to have some pretty quick tilts. D-tilt seems to be able to combo into u-tilt pretty smoothly. Dash attack looks pretty interesting, although it seems that it will probably have a fair bit of ending lag.

F-air looks like it comes out nice and quick, and u-air seems like your pretty standard swordsman u-air.
I'm guessing the opponent will most likely be able to mash out of it, so you'll have to decide on your followup quickly.

Peco_

Smash Rookie
I went through the Corrin portion of the presentation with a friend for over an hour analyzing. It seems as though the transformation, we called it the helmet, just happens on certain moves. I don't believe you activate it, kind of like Robin's Levin Sword. The special thing that I believe we discovered is his landing lag is different depending on whether or not the helmet is on. There are a couple instances where the same move is shown twice, and usually one had the helmet on and one didn't. I slowed it down, and it seems that if you land while your helmet is still on there is little to no lag. I'd venture to say it auto cancels. You'll be able to time auto cancels by seeing if you are in the transformation. This will help with A Landing and just continuing your string. I am incredibly hype for this character and plan on spending all my time into researching him.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I've been looking at the Corrin trailer and something caught my eye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvgKqMWAlg&t=1m22s

The Dragon Fang he uses on Link a scene later uses the exact same animation as he does on WFT. Against WFT, Corrin has the telltale sparkle to indicate a Smash has been activated, but then the Omega Yato is used before Dragon Fang is. Does Corrin's Fsmash change depending on positioning similar to Ryu's Final Smash, where closeup Corrin uses the Omega Yato to prep them up for Dragon Fang, while at distances he just uses Dragon Fang alone?

Or, and this is a very big if, maybe Corrin actually has a hitbox during the charge phase of Fsmash.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm looking at the attack again, and the Dragon Fang is also smash-sparkling as the Omega Yato is carving up WFT.

Yeah, this attack has a hitbox during the charge phase. Yikes.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
So it looks like when (s)he charges the F-Smash, they also have an attack going on the front as well?

That's freaky.

If that's the case we'd have to know the knockback on the chainsword part. I can't imagine it holds the target there forever. Probably something similar to Robin's wind jab?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I sort of assumed that it was his forward-throw or something similar.

Though it does seem to end in the exact animation of his F-Smash, so... :confused:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Corrin looks sooo good. Can't wait to get my hands on him. I see where you're coming from with him being like Melee Marth, OP, but with even more tools.
Lets break it down:
  • Great combo potential with Fair and Dtilt
  • Fantastic zoning with Fsmash
  • Has ZSS's paralyzer
  • Great recovery potential all around with his up B and Bair
  • Forward B gives him additional options to recover
  • His Forward B mixup potential in general
He seems to be the glorious top tier swordsman we've all been hoping for. Well, for me at least.

Peco_

Smash Rookie
I sort of assumed that it was his forward-throw or something similar.

Though it does seem to end in the exact animation of his F-Smash, so... :confused:
There's a clip of him doing a forward throw. He goes into his dragon transformation and stabs with the lance for throws. I'm also curious of the chainsaw sword. That's the only move I can't figure out

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The Omega Yato is arcing the same way at the same speed in both animations of that Fsmash during the startup of Dragon Fang. There's just no other explanation. This move has a hitbox during charging.

This is utterly huge against ledge options. Ledge getups eat the Omega Yato upon rising. Ledge rolls eat Omega Yato during the roll and the getup. Getup attack might trade with it. Ledge Drop double jump attack gets hit by Dragon Fang if Corrin reacts in time. Ledge Jump gets eaten by Omega Yato. This is nuts.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I assumed that was F-throw too, though I'm really hoping we're right about it being the charge-up on F-smash, that'd be really cool.

Just for ****s, I decided to count the number of sword and dragon fang moves we know so far to quiet down the "another swordsmen" people

Jab: BOTH
f-tilt: sword
u-tilt: sword
d-tilt: sword
dash attack: sword

n-air: BOTH
f-air: sword
b-air: DRAGON
u-air: sword
d-air: DRAGON

f-smash: DRAGON (BOTH?)
u-smash: DRAGON
d-smash: BOTH

special: DRAGON
f-special: DRAGON
u-special: DRAGON
d-special: DRAGON

pummel: ?
f-throw: ?
b-throw: ?
u-throw: DRAGON
d-throw: ?

final smash: DRAGON

total number of moves that only involve a sword: 6
total number of moves that involve a dragon element: 13

Corrin seems pretty interesting! Even among the sword moves, u-tilt and dash attack look like they haven't been seen on other sword characters in smash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, looking at this... Yeah, I can't really think of any other explanation. It's not a grab; there's no indication of it and Wii Fit Trainer appears to just be returning to a neutral stance. We already know his tilts and specials, so it's none of those. And the animation at the end is the exact animation of Corrin's F-Smash.

Unless there's some crucial piece we're missing here... Looks like we've got the first Smash attack with a hitbox on its charge.

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
One thing I noticed was this:

At 1:41, he does what I'm guessing is maybe his FAir into Marth, and then launches backwards off of Marth (hitting Marth with Knockback in the process) THROUGH Ike and Robin.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Noooo, that is clearly Dragon Lunge, with Corrin then using the Back Kick option he can do out of the Lunge.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Well, looking at this... Yeah, I can't really think of any other explanation. It's not a grab; there's no indication of it and Wii Fit Trainer appears to just be returning to a neutral stance. We already know his tilts and specials, so it's none of those. And the animation at the end is the exact animation of Corrin's F-Smash.

Unless there's some crucial piece we're missing here... Looks like we've got the first Smash attack with a hitbox on its charge.
And the final piece of evidence? Right at the very beginning of the clip in the trailer proper, you can hear the "cocking" sound of a smash attack beginning to charge.

Yikes.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
An fsmash that damages and holds someone in place while you charge it? Daaaaaaaamn. That attack on WFT looks brutal.

Corrin and Bayo both look incredibly complex. I hope they don't just trounce every character in the meta effortlessly. Although it'll be a nice change of pace having a top tier in my load out (I realize I mained MK in Brawl, but I play Zard here).

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
If Corrin does indeed have that HitBox on Forward Smash start up...I wonder how much shield damage that will do, if it will cause shield push-back to the point where his Forward Smash will just One Shot a shield...

So in other words. Don't shield next to Corrin. He could eat that shield live.

An fsmash that damages and holds someone in place while you charge it? Daaaaaaaamn. That attack on WFT looks brutal.

Corrin and Bayo both look incredibly complex. I hope they don't just trounce every character in the meta effortlessly. Although it'll be a nice change of pace having a top tier in my load out (I realize I mained MK in Brawl, but I play Zard here).
I 100% feel you man! I sole Main Little Mac at the moment and having Corrin be a potential Top Tier like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus just feels so right to me since I don't really like any of the other Top Tiers besides Rosalina but my best friend already mains her so she is untouchable. Lol

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I can't imagine the Omega Yato doing more than 1% per slash on that charge hitbox.

I heard 7 slashes from OY against WFT, so that's 7% on shield, plus a full second of shield degeneration just from sitting in it, plus shieldstun, and then the stab. That should be enough to shieldpoke anything less than a full shield, and even full shields themselves if DT is angled up.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Oh boy, moveset theory.

So I'll probably say more stuff later, but I wanna give a shout out to Dragon Thrust. A long range poke that can be acted out of in 4 different ways. One thing I've yet to see mentioned the implications of her ledge game, more specifically what I wanna talk about is getting back on the stage from the ledge. She of course has your basic options anyone has, but this move potentially opens up a whole new world to her.

One simple thing I imagine you can do is drop back and jump up using this to stick into the ground, potentially pinning your ledge guarder. If not, she has 3 additional options from there, she can Front Kick, Jump or Cancel and drop back down (and back kick I suppose but I doubt you wanna fling yourself to the blast zone). Best part of she can input the option when she wants to, so it's not only potentially a guess of which she'll do, but when she'll do it. Corrin definitely seems like someone who will be very hard to pin down.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Seeing how fast the charging hitboxes for his f-smash come out, there's actually just no reason not to charge it when near someone. Using it uncharged just seems kinda stupid.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Seeing how fast the charging hitboxes for his f-smash come out, there's actually just no reason not to charge it when near someone. Using it uncharged just seems kinda stupid.
Probably the reason it's strongest at the tip. If it had highest KB at the core of the move it'd be so dumb lol

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I didn't see it mentioned here, but I'm pretty sure Dair is a human dive kick, unless my eyes are bad.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Oh boy, moveset theory.

So I'll probably say more stuff later, but I wanna give a shout out to Dragon Thrust. A long range poke that can be acted out of in 4 different ways. One thing I've yet to see mentioned the implications of her ledge game, more specifically what I wanna talk about is getting back on the stage from the ledge. She of course has your basic options anyone has, but this move potentially opens up a whole new world to her.

One simple thing I imagine you can do is drop back and jump up using this to stick into the ground, potentially pinning your ledge guarder. If not, she has 3 additional options from there, she can Front Kick, Jump or Cancel and drop back down (and back kick I suppose but I doubt you wanna fling yourself to the blast zone). Best part of she can input the option when she wants to, so it's not only potentially a guess of which she'll do, but when she'll do it. Corrin definitely seems like someone who will be very hard to pin down.
This makes me wonder if she'll be able to stab a wall with Dragon Thrust and perform her own version of a wall cling... I can easily see it not happening, but if it did, that's another interesting recovery addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom