• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
About the stall and fall dair. Ofcourse it can be beat. Anything in this game can be beat when it's expected. That's like saying why throw out attacked if the other person can just block. The point is the use of it as a mix up and catch your opponent off guard.

Everything else I somehwat agree on.
You can mixup Nosferatu, doesn't make it any better than a meh move.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
You can mixup Nosferatu, doesn't make it any better than a meh move.
I'm not saying this move is going to be Corrin's bread and butter go to move. I'm saying you'll be missing out on a potential option by just completely disregarding it just like how completely ignoring nosferastsu isn't the best idea. I'm not by any means saying throw out this move 15 times a match like a newbie on for glory. I thought that was implied.

And also, how is a command grab ever a bad thing. Condition people into holding their shield with your smash attacks in the air or read the fact that someone is always approaching with shield and bam. You heal some and deal some damage.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I'm not saying this move is going to be Corrin's bread and butter go to move. I'm saying you'll be missing out on a potential option by just completely disregarding it just like how completely ignoring nosferastsu isn't the best idea. I'm not by any means saying throw out this move 15 times a match like a newbie on for glory. I thought that was implied.

And also, how is a command grab ever a bad thing. Condition people into holding their shield with your smash attacks in the air or read the fact that someone is always approaching with shield and bam. You heal some and deal some damage.
And I'm saying that this is a move that won't be a good option very often relative to his other moves. We aren't saying that this move will be useless, only that it won't be seeing much use relative to a lot of his other options.
And seriously? No, we aren't "judging moves based off for glory players"; Divekicks are decent at best moves in theory and in practice (unless your name is Sonic). I play a PR'd TL, and he literally only uses his Dair to try and spike people on the ledge .
But, as someone in this thread said, this move's utility really depends on its autocancel. If it's good, it'll be used fairly often. If it isn't...not so much.

Nosferatu isn't bad, it's just...a F16 command grab with bad healing until you're at a significant % above your opponent with only 4 uses that takes 40 seconds to respawn. It does have its uses, though, particularly when you're up a stock (and at high %s) against a shielding opponent on the ground.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I do have to agree that his ranged moves look slightly laggy.I'm especially concerned about Sonic MU.He(Corrin) can keep him(Sonic) at a good distance away,but it won't stay that way,and once Sonic is in your face...
Any thoughts on this?

D

Deleted member

19. Counter. A counter.​
I don't understand why you are placing it 19th and calling it "a counter". It launches vertically, meaning you have a decent option against characters that plays you on the top blast zone if they are not perfect with their setups.

Also about dair, I don't think it's a multihit move but rather a continous hitbox on the extended part of Corrin's body. I don't see it as a drill move, like Bowser Jr's dair, but rather as a continuous hitbox thrown out until landing, like Greninja's dair without the bouncing. The fact that the Smash Ball was hit multiple times is probably a combination of the move coded to drag you down when you got hit once, and the possibility that Corrin keeps falling no matter what due to the disjoint nature of the attack.

As for disjoints, I don't see why all the moves involving the dragon's body parts of Corrin wouldn't be disjointed. Sakurai made it pretty clear multiples times during the trailer that dragon moves are disjointed. Roy countering Fmash but Corrin taking no knockback, Mario Fmash Corrin's side B but no knockback, ...
For me we got a disjoint character with the sword and the dragon parts. That's probably one of Corrin's pro, being advertised as a safe character (Shulk comparison also tends to lead in that direction).

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I don't understand why you are placing it 19th and calling it "a counter". It launches vertically, meaning you have a decent option against characters that plays you on the top blast zone if they are not perfect with their setups.
Counters have traditionally been niche, and honestly this doesn't have that much suggesting it'll be different. Relying on people screwing up doesn't really make for a good move.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
This may just be wild speculation, but Counter Surge may be the only counter(probably other than Vision) that can deal with certain attacks.I'll use Sonic's homing attack as an example.
Most of you know that when Sonic does his homing attack, if you counter, he bounces away without harm.
But Counter Surge will let things pass through it, so Sonic's attack will pass through you and hit the ground while you dragonstomp on his sorry ass.
This may be useful against attacks of his sort, though admittedly he is the only example I can think of right now.
What do you think?
zult I just realized that your post summarizing everything is post 666 lol

Last edited:

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie

Also about dair, I don't think it's a multihit move but rather a continous hitbox on the extended part of Corrin's body. I don't see it as a drill move, like Bowser Jr's dair, but rather as a continuous hitbox thrown out until landing, like Greninja's dair without the bouncing. The fact that the Smash Ball was hit multiple times is probably a combination of the move coded to drag you down when you got hit once, and the possibility that Corrin keeps falling no matter what due to the disjoint nature of the attack.

As for disjoints, I don't see why all the moves involving the dragon's body parts of Corrin wouldn't be disjointed. Sakurai made it pretty clear multiples times during the trailer that dragon moves are disjointed. Roy countering Fmash but Corrin taking no knockback, Mario Fmash Corrin's side B but no knockback, ...
For me we got a disjoint character with the sword and the dragon parts. That's probably one of Corrin's pro, being advertised as a safe character (Shulk comparison also tends to lead in that direction).

Unless the counter is killing people really early (which I highly doubt), I actually don't prefer the vertical knockback. If it had horizontal knockback at least I could counter recoveries at the ledge if the miss the ledge snap or off stage and have them most likely not return. Only thing I like is that it hits all around him and that moves will pass through it instead.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I think that in the vídeo Bair had a landing lag, not corrin being hit by shulk Upsmash, i can see him as a very rounded character, good but not awesome in almost all ways (except i range that he is awesome)

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I think that in the vídeo Bair had a landing lag, not corrin being hit by shulk Upsmash, i can see him as a very rounded character, good but not awesome in almost all ways (except i range that he is awesome)
In other words he'd be a balanced character like every other.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Unless the counter is killing people really early (which I highly doubt), I actually don't prefer the horizontal knockback. If it had vertical knockback at least I could counter recoveries at the ledge if the miss the ledge snap or off stage and have them most likely not return. Only thing I like is that it hits all around him and that moves will pass through it instead.
I think you mean vertical for his counter currently and horizontal for the latter.

But yeah. I second this. Counter Surge having vertical knockback will hinder it as an edgeguarding tool unless it has a ridiculous damage multiplier. As an Ike main, vs. characters like Roy, DK, etc, I can usually walk-off counter and not have to think about the rest.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I think you mean vertical for his counter currently and horizontal for the latter.

But yeah. I second this. Counter Surge having vertical knockback will hinder it as an edgeguarding tool unless it has a ridiculous damage multiplier. As an Ike main, vs. characters like Roy, DK, etc, I can usually walk-off counter and not have to think about the rest.
But it does send them horizontally away from you so that's a plus, even for edgeguarding
I'm pretty sure it was shown when he counters Ness.
Also I don't understand how Dragon Lunge was speculated to be a command grab,can someone explain?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
About the stall and fall dair. Ofcourse it can be beat. Anything in this game can be beat when it's expected. That's like saying why throw out attacks ever if the other person can just block. The point is the use of it as a mix up and catch your opponent off guard.

Everything else I somehwat agree on.
It's not that it can be beat, it's that the move is highly vulnerable beginning to end and is lacking in reward. Even Samus has time to roll out of the way and charge a smash in reaction... If a move's risk/reward is bad, it doesn't get used. If a character's risk/reward is bad they won't be used. TBH most characters with these kind of moves would rather have nothing instead of said move.

Counters have traditionally been niche, and honestly this doesn't have that much suggesting it'll be different. Relying on people screwing up doesn't really make for a good move.
Counters aren't that useless. You can use them to edgeguard or to keep people from using telegraphed moves such as, well, stall then falls. (Although Counter Surge doesn't look particularly good for edgeguarding...)

I'm going to have a little hope and think that Counter Surge may be a good way to scare people out of comboing Corrin so hard. Not necessarily a get out out of jail free mind you, but just enough for people to think twice.

Also I don't understand how Dragon Lunge was speculated to be a command grab,can someone explain?
Well, it works a lot like a tether grab. It's a long-ranged disjoint that then holds an opponent in place and then you press a direction on the control stick to hurl them. Considering they didn't show us once what happens when it hits a shield we don't really know what will happen.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if dragon lunge will actually beat shields. I'm having a difficult time wondering what happens when it hits shields. Maybe they didn't show it because they weren't sure themselves if they wanted it to beat shields or not. And I can't think of any move that acts like dragon lunge so I can get some sort of idea except villager's tree. I might try it out later and see what happens when someone shields right on top of the tree being planted. If I remember correctly, it shield pushes opponents pretty far. So maybe dragon lunge will have some nasty shield push? That's the only other idea I can think of. Or maybe hitting a shield retracts it back like when it doesn't hit the ground. Ugh, all this not knowing is annoying me.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if dragon lunge will actually beat shields. I'm having a difficult time wondering what happens when it hits shields. Maybe they didn't show it because they weren't sure themselves if they wanted it to beat shields or not. And I can't think of any move that acts like dragon lunge so I can get some sort of idea except villager's tree. I might try it out later and see what happens when someone shields right on top of the tree being planted. If I remember correctly, it shield pushes opponents pretty far. So maybe dragon lunge will have some nasty shield push? That's the only other idea I can think of. Or maybe hitting a shield retracts it back like when it doesn't hit the ground. Ugh, all this not knowing is annoying me.
Shield push is a calculation of damage and the defender's traction stat. Just like there are no laggy combo starters, there are no weak attacks that shove shields around. Windboxes also don't effect shields IIRC.

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
All dive kick/stall then fall hitboxs stay out from start til end yes, but they only hit a target once. If you use every dive kick on a smash ball they will all hit it once and land or if you're Link/Greninja you will bounce off (hitting it again after you bounce off does not count as a second hit). Corrin's is a mutil-hit because it hits the smash ball more than once going straight through no bounce off (This is excluding all landing hit boxes).

For the counter they don't really show the starting frames and how long it last in footage and even then it would be exact since 30fps. I see it as a great way to punish player who spam Nairs when the get hit Ex. Luigi and Mario players.

(I actually saw the counter animation while not being hit ill edit and put here)

At 3:22 in second video no rage (so below 100%) and counter kills on boxing ring which has a pretty high ceiling if I'm not mistaken. I would only use it to punish charged smash attacks for a free kill.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Realy? Almost all times that i play against toon link or palutena, except by doing a perfect shield i'm always pushed away be the windboxes making me hardly punishing TLink down B(because this normaly send me realy far even when dont hit my shield) and grabing palutena after her Fsmash (except with link) maybe its just the cpu cheating(i'm looking to you amiibo mario) or some bugs

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice

More findings : Up-tilt looks better than i thoguht actually. Corrin just has to complete the spin animation to act out of Up-tilt. Up-tilt to fair looks like a true combo (No idea what percent). Maybe at 0% down-tilt > up-titl > up-tilt > Fair?

Fair sends shulk upwards? If the IASA is good maybe Fair to up-air kill setup. There is still hope for Corrin!

(All positive and negative feedback is much appreciated.)

EDIT: More up-tilt stuff

Slowed this one down... Corrin rolls after up-tilt and Cloud Air dodges around the time roll animation finishes.

Side note: F-tilt looks the same as Cloud's when the sword is Behind them as soon as they start to put it back they can act out of it. So what ever Cloud's F-tilt is used for I'd assume Corrin's would be used the same.

Last edited:

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie

More findings : Up-tilt looks better than i thoguht actually. Corrin just has to complete the spin animation to act out of Up-tilt. Up-tilt to fair looks like a true combo (No idea what percent). Maybe at 0% down-tilt > up-titl > up-tilt > Fair?

Fair sends shulk upwards? If the IASA is good maybe Fair to up-air kill setup. There is still hope for Corrin!

Slowed this one down... Corrin rolls after up-tilt and Cloud Air dodges around the time roll animation finishes.

Side note: F-tilt looks the same as Cloud's when the sword is Behind them as soon as they start to put it back they can act out of it. So what ever Cloud's F-tilt is used for I'd assume Corrin's would be used the same.
Good catch, especially on the forward air. Forward air to up b? o: Doubt it since the up b has start up, but who knows. Tilts looking better and better the more I see them. Falling up air > up tilt > fair > nair(?) Lots of testing to do when he's released.

Corrin is looking like a swordsman that combos heavily. I'm really excited. Not only that, but he has a projectile. Corrin can't come fast enough.

Last edited:

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
Corrin's Fair sending people upwards.....reminds me of Marth's tipper Fair from Melee.
So many of Corrin's moves seem to set up a juggling scenario by sending opponents upwards. Seems like we'll have plenty of opportunities to bait airdodges.

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
So i wanna go back to Dragon lunge vs Sheik / ZSS. There was some confusion or misinterpretation of how I see it as an approach tool.

So here an example lets say Sheik vs Corrin on FD. Sheik is trying to camp from mid stage with needles. Since the arm is disjoint couldn't you just pin the ground and hang above where needles cant hit you? And then you could could jump/cancel/kick on reaction to an approach?

Y/N? Thoughts and ideas good or bad I'd like to know.

Edit: Also when you jump from lunge you keep your double jump... so instead of double jumping you could repin the ground.

Last edited:

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
So i wanna go back to Dragon lunge vs Sheik / ZSS. There was some confusion or misinterpretation of how I see it as an approach tool.

So here an example lets say Sheik vs Corrin on FD. Sheik is trying to camp from mid stage with needles. Since the arm is disjoint couldn't you just pin the ground and hang above where needles cant hit you? And then you could could jump/cancel/kick on reaction to an approach?

I like the sound of that. Sheik can only shoot needles horizontally when she's on the ground, so this definitely sounds like a possible option.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
A good option but if spammed sheik will do the bouncing fish to get you (except if that is your plan and you could jump to down air on her since she probably will be below you at the time)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Realy? Almost all times that i play against toon link or palutena, except by doing a perfect shield i'm always pushed away be the windboxes making me hardly punishing TLink down B(because this normaly send me realy far even when dont hit my shield) and grabing palutena after her Fsmash (except with link) maybe its just the cpu cheating(i'm looking to you amiibo mario) or some bugs
Pretty sure shielding negates windboxes, although with TL's Dair and Palutena's smashes you're supposed to wait outside of the windboxes and then punish. Against Palutena you can jump over and then use an aerial or grab too.

Uh, Cloud airdodges closer to when Corrin starts his roll... Definitely wouldn't combo in that situation, and since less knockback = less hitstun it means it doesn't end quick enough to combo, assuming Corrin acted as fast as he could. Even if it was the end of the roll, invincibility wears off on F17. 5 of that's going to be jumpsquat, and another 5-11 is going to be wind-up. (Marth and Roy's Fairs, or Marth and Pit's Uairs, for comparison.) If his attack is fast then that's a whole 7 frame window to follow-up on, which is reasonable. If it's slow then you have just one frame to combo with, but do remember that buffering is a thing. It'd be ruined if Corrin needed to delay his aerial a frame to actually hit though, and he probably would if they fly that far. With the current amount of knockback and a slow Fair it'd be impossible to combo with, but with less knockback and thus less hitstun it would still be impossible. Even with a faster move it looks sketchy.

The numbers aren't really in favor of Utilt being a combo tool, although I'll admit any number of unaccountable factors would pretty much ruin my math.

Edit: Also when you jump from lunge you keep your double jump... so instead of double jumping you could repin the ground.
To prevent Corrin from, oh say, camping offstage against Little Mac, it probably runs out after a short period of time.

Honestly any kind of camping with the move sounds like it'd be too potent a noob tactic for them to leave in. Might not let you jump out of it twice in a row, like with the mechanic on Ike's Aether that only lets him regrab the ledge with it three times before falling.

Doc Chalk

Smash Rookie
Seeing as Corrin's Dragon Lunge can be activated rather quickly whilst in the air, does anyone see Side B OoS as a viable punish option for moves behind Corrin or with considerable shield pushback? For instance, punishing a TL D-air (as it seems ever so popular a subject already) with a jump out of shield to aerial Side B, where the usual drop shield dash grab/attack might not be quick enough, particularly if Corrin turns out to have mediocre maneuverability.

The question sort of comes down to how finicky the game is with letting you control when to stick into the ground with Side B, and if there are variable outcomes of pinning someone based on the height you are above the ground (For instance getting some form of automatic damage and knockback on the enemy if you initiate the move too soon out of a jump, rather than an awkwardly low pinning animation).

Another matter I'm particularly interested in is whether or not the Side B can retain a hitbox through platforms and ledges when you pin it through them. If it's possible to hit through platforms or ledges with a hitbox similar to what is expected to happen when the move normally doesn't pin, Corrin's gameplay begins to gain a lot of depth and diversity, and stages with platform arrangements akin to Battlefield and Lylat become much more threatening.

Something else that I believe was mentioned once in brief and then ignored is the potential for Corrin to perform a paralyze to spike combo similar to ZSS's if the aerial Side B possesses a spike hitbox at the tip, as has been theorized. The existence of such a hitbox is not entirely out of the realm of possibility, as otherwise Corrin seems to lack any real form of spike move, barring any multi-hit semi-spiking qualities of D-air, which would be gimmicky at best. If this turns out to be the case, Corrin's speculated issues with kill confirming would be resolved in part, which would massively impact the character.

Last edited:

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
Uh, Cloud airdodges closer to when Corrin starts his roll... Definitely wouldn't combo in that situation, and since less knockback = less hitstun it means it doesn't end quick enough to combo, assuming Corrin acted as fast as he could. Even if it was the end of the roll, invincibility wears off on F17. 5 of that's going to be jumpsquat, and another 5-11 is going to be wind-up. (Marth and Roy's Fairs, or Marth and Pit's Uairs, for comparison.) If his attack is fast then that's a whole 7 frame window to follow-up on, which is reasonable. If it's slow then you have just one frame to combo with, but do remember that buffering is a thing. It'd be ruined if Corrin needed to delay his aerial a frame to actually hit though, and he probably would if they fly that far. With the current amount of knockback and a slow Fair it'd be impossible to combo with, but with less knockback and thus less hitstun it would still be impossible. Even with a faster move it looks sketchy.

The numbers aren't really in favor of Utilt being a combo tool, although I'll admit any number of unaccountable factors would pretty much ruin my math.

To prevent Corrin from, oh say, camping offstage against Little Mac, it probably runs out after a short period of time.

Honestly any kind of camping with the move sounds like it'd be too potent a noob tactic for them to leave in. Might not let you jump out of it twice in a row, like with the mechanic on Ike's Aether that only lets him regrab the ledge with it three times before falling.
Mhmm I see what your saying much appreciated. Campy Corrin's oh god I don't want that to be a thing. I can see them just hanging near the ledge and re-grabbing it. Which another thought... do you think pinning the stage resets ledge invincibility?

Something else that I believe was mentioned once in brief and then ignored is the potential for Corrin to perform a paralyze to spike combo similar to ZSS's if the aerial Side B possesses a spike hitbox at the tip, as has been theorized. The existence of such a hitbox is not entirely out of the realm of possibility, as otherwise Corrin seems to lack any real form of spike move, barring any multi-hit semi-spiking qualities of D-air, which would be gimmicky at best. If this turns out to be the case, Corrin's speculated issues with kill confirming would be resolved in part, which would massively impact the character, and it would
I only believe DL may spike because on whiff the tip sparks and glows blue. I don't think the paralyzer will have much follow up as the bite looks mandatory. All clips with Fang Shot in it Corrin bites afterwards even when no one is close to them. It also looks like the longer you charge the shot the claw mimics the charge time and adds more lag. (Just a theory)

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
It would be incredibly stupid if you couldn't latch on to the stage side with DL,but if it is allowed you could just stall there...
Also, I am terrible with accuracy,and DL looks like it needs precision to nail your opponent.

EDIT: GUYS CORRIN AND BAYONETTA RELEASE DATE IS 2ND FEB YAAAAAAYYYYY

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It would be incredibly stupid if you couldn't latch on to the stage side with DL,but if it is allowed you could just stall there...
Also, I am terrible with accuracy,and DL looks like it needs precision to nail your opponent.

Source?

meowmere

Smash Cadet

Give us a source, please. The official website still says February 2016, without any further details.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Give us a source, please. The official website still says February 2016, without any further details.
God I am incredibly dense I read the date on the website as 2nd Feb I apologise please forgive this stupid error of mine.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Mhmm I see what your saying much appreciated. Campy Corrin's oh god I don't want that to be a thing. I can see them just hanging near the ledge and re-grabbing it. Which another thought... do you think pinning the stage resets ledge invincibility?
Absolutely not. Corrin's feet don't touch the ground, and again you could use it to camp although not as effectively as if it just lasted forever. Ledge invincibility is based on time offstage though, and if it's safe enough to hang out there (because it'd be harder to punish if you can't roll past, namely) then in a lot of matchups it could be worth it. Not a lot of higher tier matchups though.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
I don't see it being any more different than a wall cling

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
I don't think Wall Clinging will be a thing with Dragon Lunge, it wouldn't really go well with the front and back kick attacks.
I doesn't really matter though, Corrin's recovery is looking solid enough.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
I don't think Wall Clinging will be a thing with Dragon Lunge, it wouldn't really go well with the front and back kick attacks.
I doesn't really matter though, Corrin's recovery is looking solid enough.
I don't imagine it will be a thing either, but it is kinda fun to think about. I don't imagine it would be too complicated to just make DL wall cling have only the jump and release followups. Wouldn't be something you could use to get back to the stage every time since you'd just be asking to eat a true/stage spike, but it could make for some fun mix-ups. Top tiers get ridiculous recovery options after all, wouldn't kill them to share a little love. :b

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Maybe dl back kick for some disrespect kills :D

EDIT BECAUSE I DON'T QANT DOBBLE POST:
Now that i have noticed that the bite is mandatory, but its so quick that not differ of a normal animation
Also i think kamui will have a good grab range because in the trailer when dpit is running in his direction he grabs him so i think his grab will have more range than dpit dashgrab

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Will the kicks on dragon lunge be disjointed? If so, that opens up some really cool options and easy mode ways of escaping ledge traps or gaining stage control.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Corrin's options seem to orbit around Lunge. And rightly so, since it is a move which has never before been seen in Sm4sh.
Still, I hope that his entire play style does not depend on this gimmick.I can already imagine FG players...
(I know I can't judge by FG alone, inb4 "don't judge by FG alone")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom