• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Oh, man, I can add thread prefixes now.
It's like this is officially a social thread now. Only the realest of real social threads get prefixes.

DeathSheeps

Smash Rookie
NNID
deathsheeps
3DS FC
5198-3371-8878
Hello!

Just started playing smash 3ds (played older editions as well). I'm a very casual player and not very good, but the King has struck a positive cord with me. Happened upon this site from watching Spooky's stream. This seems like a very cool site, and I hope to learn a lot about this game and this character.

Have an awesome day!

Mr.Lee

Smash Cadet
Hey!! I play alot of DDD. He is not really my main though... but I love using him in tourneys. I want to learn more about this Character cause he is so Freakin fun to play.

Pluck!

Smash Rookie
NNID
Go_Yoshi_Go
Yo! New to Smash Boards, but long-time Dedede main.

The King has something to prove, and I want to help make that happen!

Alotoaxolotls

Smash Cadet
NNID
alotoaxiolotls
3DS FC
3969-4797-0441
Hey, I was wondering, what is everybody's favorite d3 matchup to watch. Mine by far is both ŁM vs D3, and Robin vs D3 because of how it forces both players to take advantage of their opponents weakness.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hello!

Just started playing smash 3ds (played older editions as well). I'm a very casual player and not very good, but the King has struck a positive cord with me. Happened upon this site from watching Spooky's stream. This seems like a very cool site, and I hope to learn a lot about this game and this character.

Have an awesome day!
The plugging worked!
Welcome welcome!
Being more of a casual player is just fine, really. Discussion will tend to gear towards the competitive side of things, granted, but everyone is aboard!
Since you're brand new, be sure to look around at everythin' we got here.
We've got a lot of different interests outside of Smash covered!

Hey!! I play alot of DDD. He is not really my main though... but I love using him in tourneys. I want to learn more about this Character cause he is so Freakin fun to play.
Just wanting to learn more is enough for me!
Welcome!

Yo! New to Smash Boards, but long-time Dedede main.

The King has something to prove, and I want to help make that happen!
I like to think Dedede has some potential which people are just glossing over because "Gordo gets hit back at you."
But I'm pretty biased. :4dedede:
Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your you time here and just on Smashboards in general.

Hey, I was wondering, what is everybody's favorite d3 matchup to watch. Mine by far is both ŁM vs D3, and Robin vs D3 because of how it forces both players to take advantage of their opponents weakness.
Dedede dittos are best dittos. :4dedede:

Last edited:

Mr.Lee

Smash Cadet
OMG, DDD dittos are so ridiculous when it comes to gordos :p I actually lost in tourney, in a DDD ditto... because of gordo :( but freakin, are match was hype. I have some vids, Idk if I can post them here.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I 2 stocked a good diddy. I lost the next 3 but for a brief moment I felt great.

also saved some replays of the most fraudulent Sonic wins. just gotta record em because I laughed way too hard at one

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I wish in singles he would have stayed falcon because his shulk didn't seem good at all. no monodo arts management at all :<
I think you could afford to chase after throwing gordos out, a lot of times you just stood there. it is a good decision at times (like if you are anticipating a roll back onto stage) but eh, just something I would personally do different.

are there more sets? thinking about it the falcon could be better too, or maybe he just got desperate because second stock there it was like he was only going for knees which as you can see aren't the safest thing on shield. like that's all he did second stock...and when he tried to mix it up he left himself helpless for you to upsmash.

I have more bad things to say to the falcon than you!

Last edited:

Mr.Lee

Smash Cadet
Lol, there aren't any more sets of me sadly because I only played like once on stream (not counting teams matches). I know I wasn't playing on point in any of my singles matches :\ .

I usually use gordos when my opponent is on the ledge, limiting their options, or when they trying to land at high percents because I don't want to let learn "The Gordo," so they feel more pressure to avoid the gordo afterwards. Then you follow up. If they air dodge, they are either going to get hit by the gordo or they land with the landing lag form the air dodge. If they return to the ledge, its alitlte more obvious, you can dash attack to catch then( risky though) or trump then and B-air them( super fun!!). If they try to attack it you can hit it back, or shield and just and punish what ever they do, usually F-tilt when they land to cover space. If they jump over just freakin U-air them in the face, irl :p But it's all dependent on character, stage, percent, etc...

I think he just went brain dead and chose Shulk because a lot of our smash community in Eugene use Shulk. But I won so he could whatever he wants :p I notice he was wanting the Knee too, but at the same time I had a buffer SD, so I didn't want to commit to anything. Then I was fast falling F-airs... I was just not playing at a tournament level that day, until teams happen.

Last edited:

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
I remember this plush from BitF but it has been sold out for a while now. Do you know where I can get it now?
Sorry, got it when they orignially sold it :/

btw all, I stream dedede exclusively for the most part every night

twitch.tv/theeincubus

I do this stream game where challengers fight my guards, then me. If they beat the guard, they face me. If they beat me they become a guard, able to defend the king from challengers. I keep track of my guards successful defenses on stream. All hail the king!

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Sorry, got it when they orignially sold it :/

btw all, I stream dedede exclusively for the most part every night

twitch.tv/theeincubus

I do this stream game where challengers fight my guards, then me. If they beat the guard, they face me. If they beat me they become a guard, able to defend the king from challengers. I keep track of my guards successful defenses on stream. All hail the king!
I understand how to become one of your guards...

But how do I de-throne you to take my position as the true king? :troll:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Played in my first tournament yesterday. I used Dedede for most of it, save for the first round where I went ROB against a Pikachu. It was single-elimination for time reasons (I think), and unfortunately I got knocked out just before semi-finals, but I did win a set as Dedede against a Luigi/Yoshi player. The first match I believe I lost, but I brought it back game 2 and was able to carry my momentum into the third game.

I lost to a Falco player though, and while I think I could've taken her Falco she switched to Peach the next match and I stuck with Dedede for comfort reasons. My inexperience with the match-up really showed though, and I'm wondering if I should have swapped out to ROB or Yoshi instead. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with how I played last night, and the person who bumped me out ended up getting 2nd anyways.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Yo, i main Ganondorf R.O.B & Shulk & i always have a ton of trouble against DDD, do you have any tips for me against him?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Yo, i main Ganondorf R.O.B & Shulk & i always have a ton of trouble against DDD, do you have any tips for me against him?
Personally, I struggle against R.O.B.s as a Dedede main. Dededes biggest weakness is that he has a hard time dealing with enemy projectiles, since they make it hard to approach and reflect his Gordos back at him. R.O.B. has his laser and gyro that could definitly shift the battle in his favor. His side B can also easily reflect Gordos. Just keep in mind that us Dededes can do a lot of damage in a few hits and can kill early if you let us fsmash.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Ganondorf is at an extraordinary disadvantage. Shulk is the only character in the game who has a longer reach than Dedede. And as for R.O.B., your projectiles are a godsend. Don't ever approach unless it's from the air, or you will be grabbed/punished. R.O.B.'s up air is also one of the few attacks in the game that has priority over Dedede's neutral air. Use it wisely.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I... actually have a hard time against Ganondorf but have no problem against ROB.
A good Ganondorf can control the stage well and get DDD offstage easily. With DDD's low horizontal air speed, Ganondorf can continue to control the stage with his great ledge game. A good Ganondorf won't put up a shield in neutral, and instead will be ready to jab back any gordos, Dtilt any ground approaches and Uair any aerial approaches.
On the other hand, DDD also has a great ledge game and Ganondorf could have trouble approaching him.

I think what you should take into account is that you don't NEED to rush into DDD and approach him. All 3 of those characters have a fine time staying their ground. You could try to make the DDD approach you and not the other way around. Take advantage of Ganondorf's shield pushback and nice range on Dtilt and Jab (Ftilt has less range than Jab so only use it when you're sure it'll hit them. Ftilt is one of the best moves to knock the opponent off stage and gain stage control, but it isn't so safe to use).

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
If I had to bring back anything from Brawl Dedede, I think I would choose his old grab: quick, deceptively long, and smooth in its dash.

Photon Jet

Smash Rookie
Hello Dedede players! King Dedede is one of my best characters in Smash because of his playing style.

I remember when I completed Classic Mode on max Intensity with my customised King Dedede on Smash Bros. 3DS.

Even though I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to competitive Smash, King Dedede is still a great character despite what others think of him.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hello Dedede players! King Dedede is one of my best characters in Smash because of his playing style.

I remember when I completed Classic Mode on max Intensity with my customised King Dedede on Smash Bros. 3DS.

Even though I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to competitive Smash, King Dedede is still a great character despite what others think of him.
Nice to meet ya!

"Despite what others think of him" is right. Many have a habit of giving Dedede crap for the Gordo being able to get reflected.
But it's still such a good move.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I was legit confused when I saw that avatar followed by Smooth Criminal's name. :4dedede:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I think Inhale may be more useful than we're giving it credit for. Lately, my Dedede skills have been on an up swing: from 65% victory in For Glory to 85%. I credit this to highly diversified play or full integration of His Majesty's moveset including Inhale. It serves primarily has a mix-up. If the opponent anticipates a fair or nair, the Inhale is a good option in the air because the wind box can be held indefinitely while the invisibility of air dodge obviously cannot. That's just one of a few applications. The only attack that I absolutely never use is the dair. Has anyone of the King's court created a reliable or applicable setup for the dair?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
The only times I ever (intentionally) use dair is when smacking a mostly vertical recovery straight down. You know, like Falcon, Ganon, Duck Hunt and stuff. And inhale is great for mix-ups, I like using it. I do wish it was a teensy bit better, though.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Can everyone on this thread do me a huge favor? Be good sports. I just faced a spammy Peach that I just couldn't get around. She taunted after every KO. She clearly had an upper hand, so taunting was incredibly rude. If you beat someone you're better than, don't taunt. Don't even crouch. If you get a nice KO or the opponent SDs, go ahead. I believe that, here on Mount Dedede, we are better than boasting over less-experienced players.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I think the occasional disrespect is fine, it's usually in good fun, but when somebody starts taunting for things they didn't really earn or just taunting for the sake of taunting it's just kind of dumb. I don't really get it, it doesn't make me mad (usually), I'm just wondering why you would celebrate your opponent making an error.

When you start mixing that in with disrespectful tags I just block you, end of story. Thankfully I only had to deal with that a couple times. On my end I always try to keep things clean and I'll let my opponent know when I'm ready to leave with a "LASTMATCH" tag, then say GG afterwards if they don't leave before I get the chance. Honestly what annoys me more than the pointless taunting is when people don't give you the courtesy of a second match, whether you win or lose. I usually try to play at least 2 matches, the only times I leave before then is if the connection is really bad.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Taunting can make you frustrated and make you take risks you wouldn't normally.
Many don't fall for it, but some do.
It's rude, but it can be smart if you're, plain and simple, aiming to win. If you notice that taunting makes your opponent reckless.
I don't do it in friendlies or anything like that, but, for some, if there's something important on the line like money, if they notice their opponent is getting frustrated by in-game disrespect (which usually understood to not translate to actual disrespect), then they'll take that and run with it.
It's basically trolling with purpose.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
^I think it's important to note the difference between playing with people in person and playing online, as well. In person you can chat with the other guy and laugh it off if you're just doing friendlies, but online there's basically a brick wall between you and the other player. The only way to get a read on their intentions is how they use taunts and if they use tags to communicate with you. So something that might not be bothersome offline can be read the wrong way when you're playing online.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Well, in my experience, actual disrespect and trolling is pretty common in a great portion of the online gaming world, and since Smash's online has little to no ways of communicating with other players in Online With Anyone....I wouldn't be surprised if for the most part, the constant uses of taunts are used as means of disrespect. That said I do feel that even then, it might necessarily be just disrespect, and depending on the player's skill at first sight, it might be resorted to as an actual tactic as well.

I've seen people constantly taunt when they're obviously far better than the other player they're focused on fighting. In that sort of case, I'm sure they're still doing it to rile the other player up, but just for the sake of trolling them as well as likely to boost up their own ego. The numerous Taunt Parties that took up about 90% of Brawl's Online With Anyone groups is an excellent example of this. Those people well know they'll usually have that one player who wants to actually fight outnumbered and taunt their opponent every time they get a K.O. on him/her, as if to say "Oh you just want to fight? Too bad." I did gradually get better as I played online though and those Parties gradually became less of a challenge for me (unless they resorted to giving each other points by jabbing each other then suiciding repeatedly). But I digress, the point is, I find it very likely most players do it for the sake of angering the other player. Sometimes it does have a tactical purpose, depending on their opponents skill-level, though at the same time it might not necessarily be their intention to use it as a tactic or vice-versa.

I'm only talking about online in particular here, I won't deny it's use as a genuine strategy when playing against people in person, especially when it's a competitive match in some manner. But going by all my experience in online gaming, abuse of taunts in Online With Anyone is likely just average trolling that players with high egos do to rile people up (since they have so few means of direct communication) and will only occasionally be used with a strategical purpose as well.

Top Bottom