• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I need to know something. Is ZSS a bad match up for King? I want to know peoples opinions before, I go indept with my ZSS problem
If your Zero Suit is campy, a smart subject of the King would just wait for her to do something stupid. So no, typically spamming plasma, grab, down throw, up air, up special will not be effective. I'll just wait for her to stop trying that. If you don't use her to do that, I apologize for being so caustic. I'm a bit grumpy today. Long live the King! :4dedede:

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
ehhhhhhhhhh

You don't just "wait," Jack. You gotta do stuff between, when you can. ZSS has a domineering neutral game by comparison; what you should be doing is trying to hamper that to the best of your ability. Max range jab1/jab2, retreating ftilt to capitalize on crossups, dtilt outta shield versus jab pressure (I'm learning that one, believe you me)...

C'mon, I'm spitballing here.

Smooth Criminal

MasterBelmont

Smash Rookie
Hello there. I'm MasterBelmont. I've been a King Dedede main since the beginning of Brawl, where I thought he was overall fun to use and I had quite a bit of success with him in that game. I hoped he wouldn't be too different in this new game, and I'm happy he's not (I will say I don't think he's as good in this game as he was in Brawl, though, but he's still good). Sadly, throughout Brawl's six-year lifespan, I never saw a fellow King Dedede main in person, so I was pretty much the only one of my kind. I'm glad I've joined this website so I can talk with plenty of other Triple D mains and be amongst like-minded people.

Also, this may be a strange thing to say, but I'm not a competitive player, and instead completely casual (I have items on and play on multi-platform stages), so sadly I can't provide competitive-level info. Still looking forward to discussing the character in general, though.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Zero Suit Samus is annoying because she forces aerial approaches when you try to approach.
She can paralyze, and if you shield her shots, she can just grab you. Those shots also reflect Gordo without any charge.
And she beats us in the air due to superior speed in every regard.
She's one of my least favorite match-ups at this point, personally.
You have to be good at abusing our superior range.
Ftilt~

When I first got smash for 3ds on October 2nd at 9:00 pm, I was excited. At first I sucked. I couldn't beat classic if my life depended on it. I finally understood the controls well enough to beat it with rosalina, and All star (easy) as greninja. I had loved Pokemon Y before so I thought I was good at him. I couldn't win against my friends with him. So I fell on Little Mac. I would win and I was good at him. But something was missing.
After school one day my friends and I were smashing outside the library and after a match I jokingly said, "Let's all play as Dedede!" I thought it was funny because he was so silly looking! He's a fat penguin in a cape who weilds a hammer, what more could you ask? I Dedestroyed them. They said "You should play as him more, you're good!"
For a few weeks I practiced as him. His damage was insane! He can KO some characters at 33%!
When November 21st came around I didn't have a wii u. But I was at a party with my friends and someone brought the wii u version. We basked in glorious 8 player smash. I got 8 KOs. I left and the next day embarked on a 22 hour drive to Washington. During the ride I played Omega Ruby. And occasionally smash. After a while I just kept at the cpus. Continuous 1 on 1s with level 8 cpus. Eventually I won so much I turned it up to 9. I kept winning.
Now 2 months later I have become one with the King. I've become super competitive with my friends. I win most matches. EXCEPT FOR MY FRIENDS DAMN SAMUS.

And now we're here. I hope that the king will reign supreme over all.
Always room for more royalty!
Don't get too used to those level 9s, though! That's how bad habits get started!

Hello there. I'm MasterBelmont. I've been a King Dedede main since the beginning of Brawl, where I thought he was overall fun to use and I had quite a bit of success with him in that game. I hoped he wouldn't be too different in this new game, and I'm happy he's not (I will say I don't think he's as good in this game as he was in Brawl, though, but he's still good). Sadly, throughout Brawl's six-year lifespan, I never saw a fellow King Dedede main in person, so I was pretty much the only one of my kind. I'm glad I've joined this website so I can talk with plenty of other Triple D mains and be amongst like-minded people.

Also, this may be a strange thing to say, but I'm not a competitive player, and instead completely casual (I have items on and play on multi-platform stages), so sadly I can't provide competitive-level info. Still looking forward to discussing the character in general, though.
The forum's open to everybody, of course!
Discussion will tend to gear more towards the competitive side of things, granted, but there's always room for all kinds of topics.
For example, how amazing the Dedede amiibo looks. :4dedede:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
How does everyone combat characters that out range the King? This is pretty much limited to Ike, Shulk, arguably Lady Palutena, and a few others. I tend to use and over use the ftilt. As far as damage is concerned, this is pretty effective, but I have to rely on punishment and mind games for KOs. Long live the King! :4dedede:

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Some characters that have range you're going to have to work harder against. All isn't lost, though. You still have range too, and D3's punishes are really good.

Smooth Criminal

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Some characters that have range you're going to have to work harder against. All isn't lost, though. You still have range too, and D3's punishes are really good.

Smooth Criminal
But Smooth Criminal, do you have any specific advice? For example, I have no effective response to Ikes who approach with the fair or Shulks with the nair at max range.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Specifically? It's hard to say. Against characters like Shulk and Ike, I usually condition them into doing stuff like that so I can go in for the punish. Throw out a couple of jabs to bait them, back off, wait for them to come in and punish. Alternatively, I anticipate it and shield/powershield. Dtilt, grabs (pivot or not), ftilt, and hell, even d-smash are all good ideas out of shield here. It also goes without saying that Gordos are handy for this kinda thing. Characters like Shulk and Ike don't have anything outside of self-contained non-projectiles to swat Gordos away. Use that to your advantage, mix up the timing of your Tosses and approach behind them.

Smooth Criminal

waluigithewalrus

Smash Cadet
Hello there, I'm Waluigithewalrus. I started maining Dedede about halfway through my Brawl experience after experimenting with he and Kirby. Obviously, the King is superior, or else I wouldn't be here :p Anyway, I kept going with him in 4, and am planning to get better. While I'm not the best out there, I can certainly hold my own. Long live the Penguin King! :4dedede:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hello there, I'm Waluigithewalrus. I started maining Dedede about halfway through my Brawl experience after experimenting with he and Kirby. Obviously, the King is superior, or else I wouldn't be here :p Anyway, I kept going with him in 4, and am planning to get better. While I'm not the best out there, I can certainly hold my own. Long live the Penguin King! :4dedede:
Well, I'd say you've made the right choice!

Welcome welcome!

MasterBelmont

Smash Rookie
The forum's open to everybody, of course!
Discussion will tend to gear more towards the competitive side of things, granted, but there's always room for all kinds of topics.
For example, how amazing the Dedede amiibo looks. :4dedede:
I figured. I was mostly saying that because I'm no doubt one of the least helpful people on this site because I can't share any tech and don't have tournament experience. I definitely don't mind the competitive talk, though, because I do still like to be a spectator for that stuff and I like to hear people's thoughts.

Last edited:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Over the last week or so, I've stumbled across a ridiculously satisfying KO method while working on my mind games. Immediately after throwing Gordo vertically, inch forward (perfect pivot if you can manage) and fsmash. A lot of good opponents have some sort of gut reaction to always hit Gordo. If the timing is right, they will hit Gordo an instant before the fsmash reflects it back which locks the opponent in just long enough for the fsmash to connect. I've only be able to to land this six or seven times, but when I do, oh man, does it feel good. Long live the King! :4dedede:

Last edited:

waluigithewalrus

Smash Cadet
I figured. I was mostly saying that because I'm no doubt one of the least helpful people on this site because I can't share any tech and don't have tournament experience. I definitely don't mind the competitive talk, though, because I do still like to be a spectator for that stuff and I like to hear people's thoughts.
You and I are in the same boat then! I just recently found out about competitive Smash and have no idea what some terms even mean :p

Jiggy-Saw

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jigsaw107
Hello all! I am new to Smashboards, but I am happy to be apart of his majesty's royal court! Bit new to the competitive scene, however I have been using Dedede as my main since the 3DS version came out. Got to love a giant penguin with sass and a mallet.

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
Hello! I'm new to the community (though I've lurked for a few years during the brawl days) and Dedede is a character that I'm continuing to use from the brawl. Hope I can gain some good knowledge here to improve my playing with the King.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Welcome fellow subjects LordFreezyPops42 and Jiggy-Saw. I'm certain that I speak for everyone when I say we look forward to your input and feedback to the loyal and Good King Dedede's humble court. :4dedede:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
So many new faces!
It's a nice sight given how inactive this place can get. ;_;
Make yourselves at home, @ Jiggy-Saw Jiggy-Saw and @ LordFreezyPops42 LordFreezyPops42

Hello! I'm new to the community (though I've lurked for a few years during the brawl days) and Dedede is a character that I'm continuing to use from the brawl. Hope I can gain some good knowledge here to improve my playing with the King.
I did a lot of lurking during the Brawl days too. Lot of it in Dedede's section. :4dedede:
You can learn a lot by just listening to others, but it's always good to join the discussion yourself!
I'd recommend watching some videos of the King in action. Just watching what others do with a character is something I've found to be a great place to start.

rsr2

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I mained D3 on the 3ds and when I play on WiiU it's even better. I am still learning him but having a blast. If you guys want to add me, I am TT_rsr2

benprofane

Smash Rookie
I guess this is where D3 mains introduce themselves? I'll introduce myself.

I'm Ben. I studied philosophy and now I work in a library (in other words, I'm perpetually broke lol). Not part of the tourney scene nowadays, but I am an enthusiastic spectator and supporter. I do like to push my D3 to be as good as possible, and all of the Shieks and Diddys and Samuses and Rosalumas I play with certainly keep me busy there. Peach and Link are my usual secondaries. I have a bittter contempt for Zelda and Ness. Nice to finally join the community.

rsr2

Smash Lord
Also I am going to a tournament next week playing only D3. My goal is to make it out of pools but we shall see ^ _ ^

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I'm not sure what's more confusing; Dedede's absence, or Greninja sneaking in there.

Clearly he's :substitute:ing for Dedede.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think Dedede prefers to be thought of as a tough guy, not an evil guy.
He's only fought Kirby on his own accord three times, those being Kirby's Dream Land,
Gourmet Race and Revenge Of the King. The rest of the time he either gets blamed by
Kirby for something he didn't do (apparently he's like us; neither forgets his initial villain role
easily) or is brainwashed.

He really is a good guy at heart, he just has flaws including his ego and greediness.
It's especially evident in Return to Dreamland, where he's PLAYING with Kirby at the
beginning of the game and then joins the adventure for no real reason at all, other then
because he can. He could have just said "not interested" and just loafed in his castle, but nope.
And heck, even at his worst in the anime, all he really wants is for the populace to like and respect
him, he just fails at it because of his stupidity and selfish interests.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
So hope I did you boys proud. I placed second at Friday's Pax South 2015 tourney. Went 0-2 to a Rosalina in grand finals. Hate that matchup. Used our penguin every round.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
So hope I did you boys proud. I placed second at Friday's Pax South 2015 tourney. Went 0-2 to a Rosalina in grand finals. Hate that matchup. Used our penguin every round.
Is there footage of you kicking butt with his majesty at Pax South? Did you murder any punk Diddys?

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I think Dedede prefers to be thought of as a tough guy, not an evil guy.
He's only fought Kirby on his own accord three times, those being Kirby's Dream Land,
Gourmet Race and Revenge Of the King. The rest of the time he either gets blamed by
Kirby for something he didn't do (apparently he's like us; neither forgets his initial villain role
easily) or is brainwashed.

He really is a good guy at heart, he just has flaws including his ego and greediness.
It's especially evident in Return to Dreamland, where he's PLAYING with Kirby at the
beginning of the game and then joins the adventure for no real reason at all, other then
because he can. He could have just said "not interested" and just loafed in his castle, but nope.
And heck, even at his worst in the anime, all he really wants is for the populace to like and respect
him, he just fails at it because of his stupidity and selfish interests.
He's still treated as a villain within Smash, though.
He's in that event with Bowser and Ganondorf, for instance.
Greninja is probably there because Dark-type is called "Evil-type" in Japan, and ninjas were considered dishonorable and perhaps even "bad" in the old days.
Even when agreeing with what you say, I think calling Greninja a "bad guy" is more of a stretch than calling Dedede a "bad guy."

hey i just started maining kdd and wanted to know if you guys are getting his amiibo and do you think it will be rare becuse i really want one
Am I getting his amiibo?
I think the answer is obvious. :4dedede:
I'd be getting it even if he wasn't one of my favorite characters since I'm a collector.
I don't think it'll be rare, but I also don't think it'll be very common.
in a similar tier as Zelda and Diddy Kong, maybe.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm gonna try to get it, but I won't cry for very long if I fail to find one. I'm not very interested in the amiibo themselves, I just want a nice and cheap Dedede figure to call my own.

Top Bottom