• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mother Series's Eternal Villain - Porky Support Thread (New Ownership!)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The thing is, that would be totally out of character for Porky, even more so than Captain Falcon. Porky is a lazy little brat who would only engage in battle as a last resort, and only with tons of firepower and protection.

And try as I might, I really can't see Porky engaging in hand-to-hand combat with the likes of Bowser and Samus or double-jumping like its nothing. Without his mech or some serious weapons, Porky is just a human kid, and a particularly pathetic one at that.
I agree.
While the other child fighters are brave and noble (Ness, Lucas, Young/Toon Link), Porky is too much of a coward to even go near any other fighters without some sort of protection.

Porky without a mech would just be terrified the whole battle and would be crying for his mommy, just like any pathetic kid.
But when he has a mech, he is a completely different person. He is arrogant, and feels like he can take on the world.

I feel you really captured this in your sketches, and you can see a sly look on his face when in his mech, while he looks utterly terrified when out of mech in a grab.
I really liked that little detail.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I agree.
While the other child fighters are brave and noble (Ness, Lucas, Young/Toon Link), Porky is too much of a coward to even go near any other fighters without some sort of protection.

Porky without a mech would just be terrified the whole battle and would be crying for his mommy, just like any pathetic kid.
But when he has a mech, he is a completely different person. He is arrogant, and feels like he can take on the world.

I feel you really captured this in your sketches, and you can see a sly look on his face when in his mech, while he looks utterly terrified when out of mech in a grab.
I really liked that little detail.
Fun fact: While thinking of ways to scale down the mech for battle, I briefly considered a gameplay mechanism in which an enemy could actually separate Porky from his beloved mecha or even pilot it.

While separated, Porky would have only a single jump, laughably weak sissy punches and ramming attacks, and have all of his taunts be variations of begging for mercy and forgiveness. His one positive attribute would be speed rivaling Sonic's or Fox's, to better help him run away like the coward he is. Given that he would most certainly be pissing off players with his trap-based bombs and gas attacks AND his tendencies to mock and belittle those he's fighting against, hunting down and KOing a kid that makes Pichu look top-tier would be a little cathartic.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Campbell: Snake, watch out!

Snake: How the heck did a kid get his hands on a Metal Gear?!

Campbell: That's Porky, Snake. That machine he pilots is a trophy gained through dealings with more and more powerful organizations. His connections may give him control over the world, but he lacks training and special abilities of his own.

Snake: Hmm...there's a corporation metaphor somewhere in there...

Campbell: Nonetheless, Porky is still a major threat to the world. Do not hold back because he's a child.

Snake: Hmph. Like we've ever cut some L'Enfant Terribles any slack.

(oh god I hope I got this right I've never played Metal Gear Solid)

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Wow...OK, I've changed my mind on the Bed Mech. After seeing your drawing, I think I want him to be in his Spider Mech.

I also love how he has so much personality in these drawings... Porky for SSB4!!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wow...OK, I've changed my mind on the Bed Mech. After seeing your drawing, I think I want him to be in his Spider Mech.

I also love how he has so much personality in these drawings... Porky for SSB4!!
Well, I did try to make the mechas similar in shape and size to allow for them to act as alternate costumes...

Then again, they are still physically different, so straight-up reskinning could be difficult. On the bright side, any changes in moveset would be comparable to Mario and Dr. Mario.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Well, I did try to make the mechas similar in shape and size to allow for them to act as alternate costumes...

Then again, they are still physically different, so straight-up reskinning could be difficult. On the bright side, any changes in moveset would be comparable to Mario and Dr. Mario.
Yep. :3

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I support. Pokey/Porky is one of the few characters that I would legitimately get excited about.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone seen the new screenshots of the Franklin Badge and the Mr. Saturn? At least it confirms that Mother is present in SSB4.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I don't understand why Mother fans want Claus, Sakurai would have a hell of a time distinguishing his moveset from Meta Knight's. Porky is all-around more capable of being unique and a stronger representation of the series' villainry as a whole.

Those sketches are terrific, definitely do the character justice. I have a moveset in my sea of text docs but I'll have to check through it before sharing. Porky for Smash 4!

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why Mother fans want Claus, Sakurai would have a hell of a time distinguishing his moveset from Meta Knight's. Porky is all-around more capable of being unique and a stronger representation of the series' villainry as a whole.
Thank you!! Someone sensible...

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Whoops, double post. Anyway, look at this!

It's a doodle on Miiverse that I saw while browsing the Japanese Smash community. Could this mean that Porky has some more popularity over there? Plus, Mother drawings are quite relevant in that community...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Those sketches are terrific, definitely do the character justice. I have a moveset in my sea of text docs but I'll have to check through it before sharing. Porky for Smash 4!
Well, he has both a lightsaber and a laser cannon, that merits at least a little gameplay potential...

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently working on a list of counter-arguments.

So far, I have:
1. Mother series does not deserve any more reps.
2. Fighting face to face is out of character for Porky.

Any more?

Also, music suggestions are welcome!
I'm on board with the Doc Octopus feel of Porky, but what if it's just a Porky Drone thus the reason he fights up front. WE NEED MORE VILLAINS!

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I havnt been to this thread in a while but I LOVE the ideas you guys are throwing out there! keep it up!!1 =)

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Well, he has both a lightsaber and a laser cannon, that merits at least a little gameplay potential...
Your sketches are very convincing, and honestly that Claus moveset looks appealing even to someone who has no interest in playing as him. I still think that Claus would be much less effective than Porky in further representing the Mother games, and Porky would still have an even more unique moveset than Claus, or any other character due to there being nobody who uses a mech. I'm not fond of the Doc Ock style, it wouldn't suit Porky at all to be on-foot and it would just further blend him in with other characters on the roster (moveset-wise).

Btw I also really like your Jeff moveset, pretty original!

Frontiers

Smash Cadet
I fully support porky and I don't care what type of form he's in. He could be so original and a great villian.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Something that I noticed about the Porky fight in Brawl; it has the unique honor of being the only boss fight without designated areas for the boss to move.

All other bosses, even Tabuu, are completely afraid of staying anywhere else on the stage besides the edges or dead center.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
There was a shipping surge in the Ridley thread. I drew this in response.

more pokey comics.png

Quite possibly the only (friend) ship that I take at least semi-seriously.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Really all the original 12 -yoshi, luigi, jiggs should have a villain in smash 4 (though I do love me king boo).

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Really all the original 12 -yoshi, luigi, jiggs should have a villain in smash 4 (though I do love me king boo).
Challenge accepted.

Yoshi: Kamek
Luigi: Petey Piranha/King Boo
Jigglypuff: Wigglytuff
Captain Falcon: Black Shadow
Samus: Ridley
DK: King K. Rool
Pikachu: Mewtwo

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Challenge accepted.

Yoshi: Kamek
Luigi: Petey Piranha/King Boo
Jigglypuff: Wigglytuff
Captain Falcon: Black Shadow
Samus: Ridley
DK: King K. Rool
Pikachu: Mewtwo
Whu-? Noh, hno.

Mario - Bowser
Luigi - (King Boo?)
Samus - Ridley
Cpt. - Shadow
Pikachu - Meowth/Mewtwo
Link - Ganon
DK - K. Rool
Fox - Wolf
Kirby - 3DeDe
Ness - Pokey
Yoshi - n/a
Jiggs - n/a

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Whu-? Noh, hno.

Mario - Bowser
Luigi - (King Boo?)
Samus - Ridley
Cpt. - Shadow
Pikachu - Meowth/Mewtwo
Link - Ganon
DK - K. Rool
Fox - Wolf
Kirby - 3DeDe
Ness - Pokey
Yoshi - n/a
Jiggs - n/a
Oh, him.

I figured it would be redundant to pair Ness up with him, considering the thread.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Oh, him.

I figured it would be redundant to pair Ness up with him, considering the thread.
Well I mean it is a thread for him so we should be discussing him.

Also I am curious, why does everyone think that Pokey should get in over Giygas? My opinion: even though Pokey is only the main villain in one game, he is still in two games just like Giygas and directly confronts Ness a lot more than Giygas. He is also a childhood rival.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well I mean it is a thread for him so we should be discussing him.

Also I am curious, why does everyone think that Pokey should get in over Giygas? My opinion: even though Pokey is only the main villain in one game, he is still in two games just like Giygas and directly confronts Ness a lot more than Giygas. He is also a childhood rival.
Well, Giygas is too big, like Mother Brain or Grima. And even if we took his alien form, he suffers the exact same problem as Ninten.

Oh hai, Mewtwo.

Plus, it can be argued that Porky is an eviler antagonist than the Universal Cosmic Destroyer himself, unleashing Giygas against his will to destroy the universe rather than conquer it as originally planned. Plus, he is sorta a personal rival to both Ness and Lucas.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, Giygas is too big, like Mother Brain or Grima. And even if we took his alien form, he suffers the exact same problem as Ninten.

Oh hai, Mewtwo.

Plus, it can be argued that Porky is an eviler antagonist than the Universal Cosmic Destroyer himself, unleashing Giygas against his will to destroy the universe rather than conquer it as originally planned. Plus, he is sorta a personal rival to both Ness and Lucas.
If anyone seriously can't tell the difference between Giygas and Mewtwo, then they might need to visit an optometrist.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
If anyone seriously can't tell the difference between Giygas and Mewtwo, then they might need to visit an optometrist.
Well, there's also the tiny factoid that there's no official art of Giegue. I seriously think its just the sprite.

Also, on a 3DS screen, even an XL one, it might be a teensy bit difficult to pick out which fighter has the purple tail and black eyes. There's a reason (probably) why they changed Dedede's side B into the Gordo Toss.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, there's also the tiny factoid that there's no official art of Giegue. I seriously think its just the sprite.

Also, on a 3DS screen, even an XL one, it might be a teensy bit difficult to pick out which fighter has the purple tail and black eyes. There's a reason (probably) why they changed Dedede's side B into the Gordo Toss.

Mewtwo has a far more purple hue to his skin tone compared to Giegue's whitish-blue skin tone. Giegue is also significantly skinnier than Mewtwo and doesn't have the giant purple tail. Mewtwo and Giegue look no more alike than Jigglypuff and Kirby.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Mewtwo has a far more purple hue to his skin tone compared to Giegue's whitish-blue skin tone. Giegue is also significantly skinnier than Mewtwo and doesn't have the giant purple tail. Mewtwo and Giegue look no more alike than Jigglypuff and Kirby.
The difference is that Jiggs has had a lot more exposure in 2D, 3D, and in general a lot more official art to better help fans differentiate her from Kirby. Giegue is still relatively obscure, lacking in art, and is still held back by being an anthro skinny psychic cat. But assuming being an anorexic Mewtwo isn't a problem, there's still a huge power dissonance issue. I know people complain that playable Ridley would be underpowered, but making the alien whose attacks are so awesome that they can only be described as "inexplicable" a balanced fighter is pushing it. I mean, unless he just cribs Falcon's or Mewtwo's moveset.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Didn't Giegue inspired Mewtwo's design?
Thing about that is that while the coincidences and similarities are there, there's no definitive proof. All we have to go on is that devs that worked on Mother also worked on Pokemon, and there's a handful of similarities between the two games, including the aforementioned Mewtwo, the Mt. Itoi music in Mother sounding similar to the Elite Four theme, and a lot of design similarities (a lack of a traditional overworld, a kid on an adventure, etc.).

Unfortunately, all we really have is speculation and theories, but it's hard to argue that Giygas/Giegue look an awful lot like Mewtwo, but yeah. The lack of official art for Giygas/Giegue kinda puts things into a crappy spot.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The difference is that Jiggs has had a lot more exposure in 2D, 3D, and in general a lot more official art to better help fans differentiate her from Kirby. Giegue is still relatively obscure, lacking in art, and is still held back by being an anthro skinny psychic cat. But assuming being an anorexic Mewtwo isn't a problem, there's still a huge power dissonance issue. I know people complain that playable Ridley would be underpowered, but making the alien whose attacks are so awesome that they can only be described as "inexplicable" a balanced fighter is pushing it. I mean, unless he just cribs Falcon's or Mewtwo's moveset.

Kirby has a far more vibrant pink hue to his skin tone compared to Jigglypuff's pale pink skin tone. Jigglypuff also doesn't have the big red shoes that Kirby does.

They are both round, pink balloon creatures, but they are different enough to be differentiated from one another.

That's all I'm saying. If they wanted to add Giegue, they wouldn't stop because of similarities to Mewtwo. He has things going against him, but that is not one of them.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I think the fact that both have high psychic abilities doesn't help Giegue's case, either.

Also, unlike Kirby and Jiggs, who have the same (rather simplistic) body shape but have noticeable aesthetic differences (Kirby having a different tone of pink and red shoes, Jiggs having large round eyes and ears and a puff of hair), one wouldn't quite recognize the difference between Mewtwo and Giegue from a far by first glance.

Kind of the same problem he shares with Chrom/Lucina, imo.

Just my take on it.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I think the fact that both have high psychic abilities doesn't help Giegue's case, either.
I gotta agree with you on this one. The major problem comes with the fact that Giygas/Giegue uses attacks that 'you can't grasp the true nature/form' of. Interestingly enough, if you check the way Giygas behaves in Earthbound/Mother 2, all of his attacks are actually technically attacks already in the game. If you'd rather not use the link to look, Giygas uses PK Rockin' Beta/Alpha, PK Thunder Beta, and PK Flash. So that.. still kinda puts us in a crappy spot for Giegue/Giygas' inclusion, 'cause to be faithful to the character you'll be dipping your fingers into a pie that's already seen two hands being dipped into.

Only way I could see Giegue/Giygas working as a playable fighter would be to make his attacks incomprehensible. By that I mean, projectile attacks he has come out with random variables and are difficult to identify for the defender. As an example, if Giegue has a more traditional projectile attack, it would be hazy, maybe even colorful one moment, then next time you use it's a jumble of geometric shapes. Sometimes the projectile flies forward, sometimes the projectile boomerangs, sometimes the projectile flies up and down. Sometimes the hitbox is kinda small, other times, the hitbox is difficult to discern. Sometimes the projectile comes out really fast, other times, it comes out sluggish. Cool to imagine, probably neat to play as. That's how I imagine some of how Giegue would function as a playable character.

Essentially, you'd have the explore the fighter as one that hits hard, has attacks and specials that are inconsistent and difficult to react to because of the nature of the attacks; they could help you, they could hinder you. Incorporating traditional PK/PSI attacks would be best done in a different way from the current Mother characters.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on it. I think as a playable character, Giegue/Giygas has more hurdles to jump than simply looking like Mewtwo, having similar attacks to the cast already represented, and moveset potential that's already been mostly tapped by Mewtwo, in my opinion. While I love the idea of Giegue/Giygas playable, Porky, Masked Man, Duster and Jeff are my primary picks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom