• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mother Series's Eternal Villain - Porky Support Thread (New Ownership!)

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I think the fact that both have high psychic abilities doesn't help Giegue's case, either.

Also, unlike Kirby and Jiggs, who have the same (rather simplistic) body shape but have noticeable aesthetic differences (Kirby having a different tone of pink and red shoes, Jiggs having large round eyes and ears and a puff of hair), one wouldn't quite recognize the difference between Mewtwo and Giegue from a far by first glance.

Kind of the same problem he shares with Chrom/Lucina, imo.

Just my take on it.
Ness has psychic abilities. Lucas has psychic abilities. Are either of their movesets similar to Mewtwo's?

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ness has psychic abilities. Lucas has psychic abilities. Is either of their movesets similar to Mewtwo's?
Ness and Lucas only share their "weapon" of choice (their psychic abilities) with Mewtwo.

Mewtwo and Giegue both share the same "weapon" AND they are very similar appearance wise and personality wise (I think? I could be wrong, but I understand both despise humans).

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Ness and Lucas only share their "weapon" of choice (their psychic abilities) with Mewtwo.

Mewtwo and Giegue both share the same "weapon" AND they are very similar appearance wise and personality wise (I think? I could be wrong, but I understand both despise humans).
No Mewtwo and Giygas don't share the same weapon. That is the point I am making.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
No Mewtwo and Giygas don't share the same weapon. That is the point I am making.
Well, technically, the weapons they use are their own minds, so...

But whatever, we're not here to discuss about Giygas, this is the Porky support thread!

my12^001 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, technically, the weapons they use are their own minds, so...

But whatever, we're not here to discuss about Giygas, this is the Porky support thread!

View attachment 13987
Porky at the very least has advanced technology and battle commands at his side. Tore into you, charged forward, releasing a very stinky gas...

And though he does pull the "incomprehensible attacks" gig in MOTHER 3, I interpreted that as the mecha being far more advanced beyond the simple technologies the protagonists were accustomed to. Giygas, however, is far more OP and beyond general human comprehension, and balancing him to fit the Smash environment would be more than a little crippling.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
And though he does pull the "incomprehensible attacks" gig in MOTHER 3, I interpreted that as the mecha being far more advanced beyond the simple technologies the protagonists were accustomed to. Giygas, however, is far more OP and beyond general human comprehension, and balancing him to fit the Smash environment would be more than a little crippling.
Indeed. There's a point where technology gets so advanced that, to people like Tazmily Villagers, it'd seem incomprehensible to them.

Anyway, man, the more I think about how awesome Porky would be, the more I really want to see him in. :<

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Indeed. There's a point where technology gets so advanced that, to people like Tazmily Villagers, it'd seem incomprehensible to them.

Anyway, man, the more I think about how awesome Porky would be, the more I really want to see him in. :<
Yeah Porky is basically the embodiment of Mother 2 and 3's thematic messages, which is the biggest reason he deserves to be included.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also, for reasons beyond me, a few pages here apparently crash my browser. Is it that picture-heavy?

No, that's impossible. I frequent the Ridley thread with nary a problem.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I do think the role of a mounted character is yet to be fulfilled. Once I thought it could be a FE character on a horse/pegasus. But Porky on his spider mech seems like a better choice even.
Only two things I would expect from this character:
1. Final Smash is Giygas second form.
2. Alt costume/color of older Porky (and perhaps pigmask logos on its mecha).
Also, would this character scare the arachnophobics? I have a friend who has a really hard time trying to kill Gohmas in the Zelda games.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I do think the role of a mounted character is yet to be fulfilled. Once I thought it could be a FE character on a horse/pegasus. But Porky on his spider mech seems like a better choice even.
Only two things I would expect from this character:
1. Final Smash is Giygas second form.
2. Alt costume/color of older Porky (and perhaps pigmask logos on its mecha).
Also, would this character scare the arachnophobics? I have a friend who has a really hard time trying to kill Gohmas in the Zelda games.
Arachnaphobes can suck it up. I'm of the opinion that spiders should DIEDIEDIE and can handle Porky fine.

And assuming Ridley makes it in (Pretty sure he has) being "2scary4Smash" shouldn't be an excuse.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oink, oink.
Geez, this thread's dusty.
Well, I have really pulled out of the speculation business save for very few characters. I wouldn't mind it if someone wants to take over the thread. That would certainly promote the thread more.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Arachnaphobes can suck it up. I'm of the opinion that spiders should DIEDIEDIE and can handle Porky fine.

And assuming Ridley makes it in (Pretty sure he has) being "2scary4Smash" shouldn't be an excuse.
I'm afflicted with intense archnaphobia surrounding tarantulas to the point where I can't look at one for even two seconds. Only two videogames have spiders/tarantulas that effect me; the Resident Evil remake on GC, and Deadly Creatures on the Wii. The mech which Porky pilots (or the concept of legs on his back) do not bother me because they are very clearly fictional and manafactured by artists. I don't know about the other guy who has trouble with Gohma enemies in Zelda (I do not) but Porky comes nowhere into that territory and it shouldn't be any concern to Sakurai whether he would bother arachnaphobics. I would be more worried about Porky offending overweight players, although again it varies from person to person and their sensitivity.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Well, the thing is, Porky shouldn't, as it's rather clear when you look at the character Apple Kid and compare him to Orange Kid that the creator holds no ill well towards the overweight. Apple Kid is actually the POSITIVE one of the two, despite being fat, as the things he invents are actually useful, and he's nowhere near as egotistic as Orange Kid, who made a device specifically to play his theme song for the player before breaking.
Oh, did I mention I support Porky? Because I do. add me to the list.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I support! I would rather have Masked Man, but Porky is a close second.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I want him in, he would be a villain and probably different to Ness and Lucas. Just don't see it happening unfortunately..

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Does the idea of playable Starman sound appealing to anybody? Like is he even able to contend with Porky in your opinion?

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
What about having Boney and King as alt colors for DHD? Instead of the duck, they could have a Spiteful Crow or something.

Sure, it may not be costumes for a character from the same series, but it'll still be pretty dang cool.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Hmm, Porky would be one of the harder characters to bring to life in Smash Bros. now that he already appeared as a boss, and we already have Bowser Jr. as a mounted character. That said, I support all Mother/EB characters, so sign me up!

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
One mother rep? No no no. Pokey! Pokey! (Boo, Boo Pokey) Pokey! Pokey!

Sadly with Ridely returning as a boss, it is less likely that Pokey will be playable.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Just recently beat Mother 3, so sign me right up for Porky.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
How I foresee things.

Lucas comes back as a DLC character due to demand for returning vets. Inside the DLC pack there is another new Mother stage and it has Porky acting like Ridley on Pyrosphere. And that is the fate of old Adventure mode bosses.

Where's my Tabuu and Master Hand stage?

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Despite the lack of chance Porky has at making it in SM4SH anymore, please make me a supporter.

Porky is my #1 pick for a newcomer. He has ridiculous potential, and everyone loves a villain character.

(and hey! This one isn't reptilian! Still fat, though...)

How would you guys feel if Lucas was removed and porky took his place?

Golly, I really am sorry to double-post, but I just saw this and realized I looked over it the first time I read over the thread.

As much as I love Lucas (he's got more personality than Ness.), I believe that it would be more practical to have Porky rather than him. Wouldn't it make more sense to include both a protagonist and an antagonist rather than two protagonists?

COUNTER: DK reps
-
COUNTER: Star Fox reps (4)
-
COUNTER: Mario reps (64)

ANTI-COUNTER (DK): The Donkey Kong series lacks a recurring and constant villian. While ideally, we have K. Rool, he hasn't shown up in over a decade (not counting Mario sports appearances) and he was replaced by the thumb piano in Returns. So, it's just more practical to have the two protagonists.
-

ANTI-COUNTER (SF): I have no real proof why Wolf deserves it any more than Falco, other than personal reasons and opinions I could pull out my butt. That, and showing you other people they'd rather half Wolf.
-
ANTI-COUNTER (MARIO): It was the 64 version. All characters were essentially protagonists. In the very least, there were no major villains included, as it was really just an experiment at the time.

What were talking about again?
Ohhh yeah... Porky. This isn't a much about the quote from earlier in the post, but another reason Porky is just so wonderful is his character and what it stands for. (as Falkoopa mentioned) Itoi really likes Porky. He's such a complex and interesting person.

Also, I think having him be a playable character would really attract new Mother/EB players. More so than Lucas. Think about it. Which combo would attract new players? Two little kids with magical powers, or one little kid with magical powers and a fat kid with Doctor Octopus legs shooting little bombs of himself at people? Another goal of Super Smash Bros is to BRING attention to the games as well as reward them for the attention they've already gained.

I personally think Porky could accomplish the former much more efficiently than Lucas or Ninten could.

I think that's all I have for now. Hopefully, I didn't screw up.

Here are some really good remixes of Pokey Means Business and Master Porky's Theme.

POKEY MEANS BUSINESS (A very dark, heavy metal version by Christian Pacaud. Featured on the Bound Together Album.)

MASTER PORKY'S THEME (by far the best remix I've heard of any Mother song. You really need to listen to this one.)

That's all for now!

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
So between Lucas being cut and Bowser Jr. somewhat stealing the niche of mech-user (in terms of both aesthetic ability and mechanical hurtboxes), I unfortunately see Porky as less likely than ever. Without a doubt I'd love to see him as a playable character, but unless a lot of changes are made to Sakurai's philosophies and the Mother series as a whole, Porky seems like a pipe-dream more than he was before the final unveiling of Smash 4's roster.

I continue my support and will when Smash 5 comes along, but I won't have high hopes for Porky. :(

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Much as I hate to say it, percentage-wise I think K. Rool has the same number of appearances as Porky (though I'm not really a DK fan). By my count, Porky's been in 2/3 Mother games, while K. Rool's been in 4/6 DK games (in DKC 1/2/3 and DK64, not in DKCR or TF).

That said - you do have an excellent point about Porky being better at attracting people to the series.

As for the mech user thing, I'd argue Jr.'s inclusion actually gives Porky a better chance, along with any other potential mech-users like Dr. Eggman. All the needed coding for double-hitboxes is already there, why not apply it to some other characters?

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Much as I hate to say it, percentage-wise I think K. Rool has the same number of appearances as Porky (though I'm not really a DK fan). By my count, Porky's been in 2/3 Mother games, while K. Rool's been in 4/6 DK games (in DKC 1/2/3 and DK64, not in DKCR or TF).
While yes, Porky and KKR have the same percentage of appearances, King K. Rool has been outweighed by many other characters. Dixie Kong, to be exact. It also doesn't help that he is a fat reptilian villain who happens to be a king. (Bowser + King Dedede = Fuuuusion-HAA!)

Which leads me to another advantage that Porky has. There's no competition... within his francise.
Lucas, along will most of the previous booted vets, likely be back in for DLC. Thus, leaving the next and final Mother rep for Porky.

Who will stop him? Ninten? Claus/Masked Man?

Ninten... I just cannot see in any way. He has no offensive PSI. I don't see how that would really translate. Also, Ninten is far from a popular character in terms of the others. He's overly similar to Ness appearance wise, and he's in the least popular game in the series... I just have no worries of him beating Porky.

The Masked Man is more likely, and quite an interesting possibility. Honestly, I don't have any real arguments against him. I just simply cannot see anything that he has going for him that Porky doesn't have twofold. Although, and with Chrom as my inspiration, I think he would work into Porky's Final Smash very well, seeing as his whole character is a result of Porky's brainwashing.

Another advantage that Porky has over the Masked Man (and all other Mother characters, save for Lucas and Ness) is the presence he's already created within the SSE. Quite a huge and interesting one at that. I'm repeating points made by me and most likely others, but his appearance in the SSE was what drove me to playthrough the whole Mother series. I wanted to find out who this person is. If he had that impact on me, then surely he had it on others. He helped bring his franchise out of obscurity by bringing to me and presumably many others. Like I said, I'm sure Sakurai would notice that.

Also, with Earthbound's WiiU release, and the huge fuss for Mother 3, Mother's cult fanbase (which I'm happy to say I'm a part of,) should definitely be getting Nintendo's attention, and they for a fact, have. Clearly seen in the E3'14 digital event, despite the sarcasm used, Nintendo is very aware of the outcry for Mother. Mother IS getting more and more time in the spotlight.

I unfortunately see Porky as less likely than ever. ..... I'd love to see him as a playable character, but unless a lot of changes are made to Sakurai's philosophies and the Mother series as a whole, Porky seems like a pipe-dream ..... but I won't have high hopes for Porky. :(
(only keeping some of GRC's post simply to save space)
I understand your concerns and thoughts completely. BUT! As seen with Mewtwo and Mega Man, as long as we keep the outcry strong and unrelenting, our voices can be heard. I personally don't think Porky's chances are THAT bad, but they're not the best. We just have to show everyone what we see.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
(Mother 3 spoiler warning)

My main issue with the Masked Man is that he dies in the end, and in a fairly dramatic and impactful way. True, Ganondorf dies at the end of most games he's in, but it's treated about like Bowser being defeated at the end of each Mario game. The death of Claus, meanwhile, has huge significance in both the story and theme. It just doesn't feel right to have the Masked Man appear in a game not set during Mother 3's timeline.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I understand your concerns and thoughts completely. BUT! As seen with Mewtwo and Mega Man, as long as we keep the outcry strong and unrelenting, our voices can be heard. I personally don't think Porky's chances are THAT bad, but they're not the best. We just have to show everyone what we see.
The issue lies in that we lack the sheer numbers Mewtwo and Mega Man had, however. While the Mother fanbase is without a doubt one of the most devoted and aspiring communities of any series, Porky's demand isn't as widespread as the aforementioned characters. Mewtwo had the mammoth amount of Pokemon fans, Generation I kids, and Melee players to call for his return, while Mega Man has a fanbase accumulated over 20 years that had an overwhelming majority in favor of seeing its main protagonist be a character, something that the EarthBound fanbase is unfortunately a little more divided over in terms of who we want to see outside of Ness and Lucas.

Not to mention Sakurai's statement that series that are less likely to have more titles in the future are of lower priority to receive more characters, which considering how Shigesato Itoi has no intention of ever making the Mother series larger than a trilogy, is not very likely to happen. I doubt Nintendo will be taking the fan-developed Mother 4 and licensing that as an official game any time soon either. Best case scenario, we see a remake of the entire Mother trilogy on a future handheld or console, but even that will make it a hard sell for more characters beyond Lucas's return.

Lastly, it should also be said that Porky is not just competing within his series, but every other series. Without extreme notoriety like King K. Rool, extremely decent sales potential like a future Pokemon Generation Mascot, an impossible to replicate moveset like the Inklings, or a retro choice that will leave everyone's heads spinning like Lip, Porky will have a hard time finding a niche that other characters don't already have covered with larger support.

I want Porky. I would love to see Porky over any other new Pokemon, Mario, or Zelda character that could ever be. But realistically speaking, Porky's chances are very slim the way things currently stand. This is not to say that I can't ever imagine Porky in a future Smash Bros., but the way things currently are with EarthBound's dormance and Sakurai's expectations for character selection, a lot will need to change before Porky will ever come into the realm of possible. At the very least, a new entry in the Mother series (remake or new) and Lucas being playable once again needs to happen before we can even begin to discuss Porky as a major contender among other candidates like Dixie, Isaac, Impa, Tingle, Wolf or Ice Climbers.
(Mother 3 spoiler warning)

My main issue with the Masked Man is that he dies in the end, and in a fairly dramatic and impactful way. True, Ganondorf dies at the end of most games he's in, but it's treated about like Bowser being defeated at the end of each Mario game. The death of Claus, meanwhile, has huge significance in both the story and theme. It just doesn't feel right to have the Masked Man appear in a game not set during Mother 3's timeline.
Considering how Smash Bros. isn't canon, I don't see this as an issue at all. Congruency for a character's status as dead or alive means nothing when this game has the Wii Fit Trainer shooting out miniature suns, Ness is using Paula's and Poo's moves, Duck Hunt is a dog and duck with zero reason to cooperate based on their sole appearance, Morton Koopa is the same size as Lemmy Koopa, and R.O.B.'s history with Professor Hector is completely ignored in favor of Smash OC... Masked Man being dead means nothing in the context of Smash Bros.

Not to say Masked Man is any more likely than Porky or even remotely likely in the first place--not at all, just that canon is the much lesser evil of why Masked Man won't be playable any time soon compared to all of the other factors he'd have to overcome.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
golly this is a lot to quote
Precisely why I said within his own franchise. I know how slim his chances are, and I'm not attempting to lessen the importance of all the other characters who also deserve to be characters in any way.

However, EarthBound's re-release got a lot of coverage, or at least a lot more than any other Virtual Console game.
Once Mother 3 is eventually translated, and I have no doubt it will be, albeit a while from now. I also believe it will have a much smoother translation process, as the copyrights are much sparser than in EB. The one big hiccup being the lovely Tanetane Island mushrooms scene.
If those two translations do well, I think that's when Porky will have a chance. Not a huge chance, but a chance nonetheless.

What I'm getting at, is that he DOES have a chance. Not a huge one, especially compared to other possible choices, but he definitely has a chance. It isn't hopeless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom