• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
She could be a zoning-type character, using Luma. I loved her combo that she pulled off near the end, using the luma to knock the player up and utilizing a powerful-looking Uair. She seems quite powerful. We will see how well she does in actual gameplay.

They updated the website with Rosalina.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I am a sad Paper Mario supporter today.
She is maybe not the character I wanted to see but...Rosalina seems to be on her way to become a really important character in the Mario series and after playing 3D World and seeing some of her moveset, I'm more than okay to have her in smash, so....

Congratulations Rosalina supporters.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I personally don't like Rosalina herself and think she's one of the most boring Nintendo characters out there.

But her moveset looks GODLIKE. I might have to play her just based on her crazy, fun looking moveset.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
All those different Lumas make her look like Olimar, and yet incredibly different. It looks like she can only have one Luma at a time, but she goes way deep with that Luma.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I...I'm so pleasantly surprised right now... I was sure Sakurai would settle for Toad or Jr., but even with the Mario series he throws a curveball. Congrats Rosalina supporters, she wasn't who I expected, but from that trailer she certainly doesn't seem like a waste.

I look forward to trying her out, and even more so to fighting a really skilled player who uses her.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
One newcomer I guessed right... Now just hope that Takamaru joins the club.

Rosalina looked awesome in the trailer, looking forward to see more of her.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Does this confirm a Rainbow Road stage also? lol

I definitely thought this was an announcement that Kirby was crossing over into the Mario Kart series..
Same here but once I saw that far-too-HD Fur on Donkey Kong, I knew it was Sakurai.

Rosalina's cool but dat Baby Luma tho!

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
My favourite Mario character and my most wanted Smash character. I'm so over the moon right now! :awesome:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Is no one gonna talk about the fact that this more or less de-confirms the Ice Climbers?
Can't have more that one 2-1 character in one game, you feel me

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is no one gonna talk about the fact that this more or less de-confirms the Ice Climbers?

The Ice Climbers are a total different vehicle than Rosalina.

If anything this confirms they have a stronger chance of being back, and rightfully so. They're awesome.

I'm so stoked she's in. So so so so stoked.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So, I've watched it a few times now, and Rosalina sure is complicated. I notice she's always shown in the same costume, but the Luma seems to have a lot of different colors which leads me to believe it changes colors in battle based on what it's doing (that and the fact that no Luma attack seems to be used by two different colors). That really makes me wonder just how many actions that Luma can take; it seems like it could be even more than a normal full character if I am understanding its mechanics correctly. It seems like she has some attack that launches the Luma out and then it mimics her normals; perhaps she has another special that changes the Luma's mode or something. If that's what it is, the four colors we saw times let's say four attacks per mode (up, down, side, and neutral) is 16 Luma attacks which I'd point out a typical smash character has 13 normals. This is only my speculation on how it works and on its face it sounds like I must be looking at something wrong, but I'm not sure what other conclusions to draw based on what we saw. We saw her up special (a decentish looking launch move that puts her into helpless) and some other special that messes with items and projectiles so at the very least half of her special moves don't particularly involve messing with the Luma.

The Luma in general looks really diverse and powerful, but she seems slow and generally lacking when not taking advantage of attacking in parallel with it. This is definitely a character that has the potential to be either very good or very bad; if she can maintain pressure, having such a powerful free acting agent is going to be a decisive advantage. On the other hand, if the Luma lacks good options in terms of controlling its positioning, I can easily see her just getting rushed down, separated, and beaten all the way to bottom tier. We need another developer direct in which Sakurai just walks us through her moveset; that would explain so much that is just mysterious right now since honestly this reveal just raised more questions than it gave answers in terms of the gameplay we can expect in the new game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
*takes a deep breath*

Congratulations, fans of Rosalina.

She looks like she is gonna be pretty fun with Luma! It is about time we got a 5th Mario character who is not a clone of existing Mario characters.

D

Deleted member

Bowser Jr. was my second most wanted newcomer… but I now don't see much hope for him because Rosalina got confirmed… it's gonna be a very sad day for me.

Anyways, congrats to the people who supported Rosalina. I knew some character was going to get confirmed today, but not her. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go continue crying at the loss of the Koopa Prince…

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm just dropping by this thread to say, I liked Rosalina before and would have been happy if she got into Smash and didn't think she had much of a chance, especially prior to 3D World. Now, I can't wait to try her out.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
The Ice Climbers are a total different vehicle than Rosalina.

If anything this confirms they have a stronger chance of being back, and rightfully so. They're awesome.

I'm so stoked she's in. So so so so stoked.
I just can't help but be worried, it feels as if she jacked their gimmick and all.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
The trailer was great, and Rosalina really seems like a technical and unique character. I can't wait to see more.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
>Troll Kirby's Air Ride Fans
>Kirby X Mario Kart trolling
>Rosalina beats the **** out of everyone for no reason
>Rosalina forces Kirby to dance for her Luma's amusement

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Haven't been a suppoorter, but I love the character.

Honestly, i saw her more as an alt costume for Peach, like Daisy, but happy to get a newcomer, especially such a good one! Gorgeous look as well.

Congratulations to Rosalina....supporter :D

Despite being a Toad supporter (Leader), I'm hyped to play as her (And Villager) but my reasons will be kept to myself (And Hoots and Kuma if I feel like it)

And yeah, I've seen M&SG's Rosalina mods. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ****.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, I didn't see that coming. I was like, KIRBY FOR MK8!!! Then, new Smash character! Well, I don't have a HUGE opinion on Mario reps, so I'm glad to see her in.

Poor Waluigi...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This pretty much deconfirms Jr., Toad, Paper Mario and Waluigi. I doubt Rosalina will have any bearing on the ICs.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Thank you all i can't believe shes really in smash 4! Im so happy,Back when i joined smashboards it was just wishful thinking that she would make it in.

Now shes in and i just can't believe it i am truly so happy right now i so can't wait to find out when smash 4 is coming out!!.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Welcome to the roster, Rosalina... I guess I can add her to my mains (and ship her with Pit more often).

But now I wonder what Final Smash she'll have, despite not being able to see any FS yes cept for Samus and WFT.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
This pretty much deconfirms Jr., Toad, Paper Mario and Waluigi. I doubt Rosalina will have any bearing on the ICs.
Where in hell would you say that? One character's confirmation does not mean anyone else is gone.

Any of them could still be in.

If sakurai wants another Mario character, then we'll get another Mario character.

I'm so sick of people pulling this crap.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So, I've watched it a few times now, and Rosalina sure is complicated. I notice she's always shown in the same costume, but the Luma seems to have a lot of different colors which leads me to believe it changes colors in battle based on what it's doing (that and the fact that no Luma attack seems to be used by two different colors). That really makes me wonder just how many actions that Luma can take; it seems like it could be even more than a normal full character if I am understanding its mechanics correctly. It seems like she has some attack that launches the Luma out and then it mimics her normals; perhaps she has another special that changes the Luma's mode or something. If that's what it is, the four colors we saw times let's say four attacks per mode (up, down, side, and neutral) is 16 Luma attacks which I'd point out a typical smash character has 13 normals. This is only my speculation on how it works and on its face it sounds like I must be looking at something wrong, but I'm not sure what other conclusions to draw based on what we saw. We saw her up special (a decentish looking launch move that puts her into helpless) and some other special that messes with items and projectiles so at the very least half of her special moves don't particularly involve messing with the Luma.

The Luma in general looks really diverse and powerful, but she seems slow and generally lacking when not taking advantage of attacking in parallel with it. This is definitely a character that has the potential to be either very good or very bad; if she can maintain pressure, having such a powerful free acting agent is going to be a decisive advantage. On the other hand, if the Luma lacks good options in terms of controlling its positioning, I can easily see her just getting rushed down, separated, and beaten all the way to bottom tier. We need another developer direct in which Sakurai just walks us through her moveset; that would explain so much that is just mysterious right now since honestly this reveal just raised more questions than it gave answers in terms of the gameplay we can expect in the new game.
She reminds me greatly of Eddie from Guilty Gear, the original puppeteer character. If we're right, she's going to be a scary mixup character. Here's Eddie for a reference.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Huh, I'm pretty confused about what attacks are specials and what ones aren't. Her up special is clearly using those star gate things to jump higher, and what I would assume is her down special is that barrier she uses to mess with Mario's FLUDD. But after that there's that weird move she uses to catch/bring every item on the screen over to her, the ability to summon a Luma (unless I'm wrong and that was just her intro) and that attack she gets the Luma to shoot star bits with.

As for the colors, I think they might reference damage. Both a red and yellow Luma have that stat bit shooting attack, and its clear that Luma can get KO'd independently. I think it might work like the Pikmin do, but again I could be mistaking that summoning thing for an intro.

D

Deleted member

First off, while she does have a big fan base within the Mario community, that doesn't necessarily mean that she has a big fan base within the Smash community, which is where Sakurai is going to be looking for newcomers in.

While Rosalina does pass the second, third, and fourth criteria, she fails the first (and the hardest) one as the requests for her pales in comparison to Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi, not to mention that she has less potentials for appeal than any of these four. Sakurai will also upheld a very high expectation for Mario newcomers and Rosalina does not meet that. The only two games where she is important is in the Super Mario Galaxy series and now that looks to be over, it is likely that she will never again appear in a mainstream game.

I seriously doubt that Rosalina is going to be in SSB4. If there is a Mario newcomer, Sakurai will likely pick either Toad, Bowser Jr., or Paper Mario for the spot. Even Waluigi is more likely, but given how little he has accomplished, his chances are slim.
Talk about having to eat my own words. I was CONFIDENT that Rosalina wasn't showing up.

I'm so done predicting characters. I mean, I always though a fifth Mario character was plausible, but I didn't expect THIS.

*checks video of her confirmation*

Much better than I thought she would turn out. I actually did like her as a character, I just never really felt she "deserved" to be in Smash like other Mario characters. Seems as Sakurai really doesn't care about the Smash community variation of "deservingness" after all and really, that's not a bad thing. Her move set looks really good and I'm glad Super Mario Galaxy is getting lots of representation. It deserves it after being one of the best games of last generation (specifically the original).

Congratulation Rosalina Supporters *clap hands*.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I sure hope that they're bulkier than Pikmin.

But considering that it took a Smash Attack to knock one out, I think I'm okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom