• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monthlies Arcade Legacy! Prolly odne.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
:/ Lumi <3
Meh, I deserved my placement. Not playing at all in the past few months (except for 1-2 tournaments) is biting me in the ***. While I'm being lazy, everyone around me is getting better. So I guess I gotta get back into it somehow and not let this happen again next time. :p

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Oh.

No just play more megaman that's how I got better.
Ditto. Not even joking. People are just megaman bosses and you just gotta re-figure out the pattern every time. Cept you have a shield, which makes it waaaay easier.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Whens the next one! Sorry I missed this, ended up having to go back to Maryland for a couple weeks. I'm back in Ohio for the foreseeable future now.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Next event is July 21st (saturday after this one).

I know this is the same weekend as RAGE; I deliberately posted this date later so the other tournament could get some more exposure before mine did. I already had my date set when I set the original date, but they've put a lot of work into this and are looking to grow their scene, so if you'd like to go to their tournament I won't be offended in any way!

For those of you that are still wondering what to do with that weekend or don't want to drive to NEOH, come on down to Arcade Legacy on the 21st for the exact same shindig as last time!

There might not be as many driver/raffle prizes, but there will definitely still be enough to laugh about :D

To reiterate: The next event is July 21st!

The following even will be on either August 11th or August 18th, PROBABLY august 18th given that FC is on the 12th, but who knows. If it's after the 18th, expect some rule changes.

If you have any questions or opinion on the next tournament date, let me know in thread.

Sorry about the late notice!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yes, and going to either is fine!

RAGE will probably have stronger competition, even if it might a bit farther away, while this one will be more friendly based I'd imagine.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I had the date before Rage did =P

Chrono asked me for some help getting people to RAGE, and I knew if I announced my tournament first we would have 0% attendance at RAGE from this area. Now people actually feel like they have to choose, while if I had told you earlier people would have said "Oh, going to Arcade Legacy, RAGE is too far away".

I know I didn't feel like driving the 5 hours to get up there and many others don't either, but at the same time I didn't want to hamstring Chrono's attempts at reviving their scene simply for my convenience. My tournaments are fun, but ultimately don't mean much to me other than fun, while the RAGE crew seems to have a personal stake in their attendance.

Choose to go to either!

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I had the date before Rage did =P
I'm calling BS on this man. I know you were fiddling around with the June end date in May, I remember Loki having this date way back in March and pleading for people to come.

Like, you've put yourself into a corner. If you appeal for this tourny then your an *** for taking people away from Rage. But if you don't appeal for this tournament you let down Jesse for lending us the venue for smash. I don't really want either to happen.

Dude this is weak.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
?

Just go to the tournament you want to go to. I checked for available threads before getting dates way back in late April/early May. Chrono PMed me on May 11th, after posting her May 10th thread and after I announced that July 21st was probably going to be our date for the 2nd one and asked for help getting people there; they didn't even know what the ruleset would be yet. I told her that I couldn't change the date and some of the locals would end up going to mine but that I'd do what I could. I've never really pushed for these tournaments to be huge, so I don't really mind.

Neither side is going to really hurt for attendance, and they're different kinds of tournaments.

One is MK legal bracket and going to be a bit more stacked, one is MK banned pools and is going to be more local. If you're looking to have fun or make guaranteed money, go to mine; if you're looking to have a more strenuous competition and use Meta Knight go to RAGE. The biggest difference is just driving distance. Five hours for rage, hour for AL; I'm done driving the long distances, so it'd be a simple decision for me.

Neither TO will be mad if you don't come to their event, and both RAGE and Jesse will live without someone's attendance. The $50 or so I spend at AL every time I go there helps too. XD

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I don't think a national and a local monthly being on the same date are going to be too big of a problem. This way the people that aren't able (or up to) going to the national will still have something for that weekend. And at a great venue, at that.

I'll most likely be here. Will be talking to Crash soon to confirm, but I'm pretty sure the weekend's open for me.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm coming to this to support MK banned + to support tons of pools. Also its a 2 hour drive vs a 3 hour drive. Also I think there will be some Ohio people that I need to beat here to solidify my PR ranking. Plus I'll also be coming down the week before this for Clowsui's event. Plus I had no partner for Rage (though KB kindly offered, I didn't see it until after this was announced...really need to clean out my PM inbox). Plus I want to get in and out and not stay at a tournament until, what I would guess, is 1-2AM (unless I'm bad now and don't make it out of pools...but I don't see that happening).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Q said he's interested in tagging along, AZ.

I'll be bringing board games and some extra prizes/money for potential after-tournament arcade game / brawl side events depending on time. I'm really hoping for a nice friendly local with plenty of setups.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'm not a fan for this idea either. I would love to go to both and I feel that if they were on separate days, I and a good bit of others could do both. I think more communication needs to be done for this. I know if I had the smaller tourney I would reschedule mine to help promote more attendance to rage.

Sure the locals can go to this. But can't they go a week or 2 later? There's still going to be locals and non locals left to choose.
:phone:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't think you guys get it. I already had the Arcade Legacy date before Chrono's thread was posted, and it was the only free weekend I've had. I'd imagine Chrono couldn't have changed her date after discovering my tournament even if she wanted to either. These things happen. The next event will probably be August 18th.

I really don't care about attendance here or at RAGE. I do these things for fun and to give Arcade Legacy some extra business because I like the place and the people that work there. I originally expected only a dozen to 15 people and had planned for many bonus side events and one on one sessions with new players, but twice that amount showed up. Turnout doesn't really matter to me as much anymore.

Chrono asked me kindly and I told her there wasn't anything I could do about the date, but delaying my reveal puts the entrants to this tournament to "locals and people who don't want to drive 5 hours with no chance to win money". While that sounds tongue-in-cheek, it isn't. A lot of people can't or won't drive that much and a lot of smashers are just recreational players now. The top players for RAGE have been more or less confirmed in the opening line of her thread; "Mew2King, Ally, Shugo, VanZ" attending? That's at least 3 people midwestern players aren't going to be able to overcome.

For someone like Kel or Tako, they have to decide whether they want to drive 5 to 6 hours just to play people they normally don't with a minimal chance to win money but some unique matches or to drive 1 to 2 hours to go to a tournament where they can almost guaranteed win money but have more predictable matches.

Different people have different ideas of what they want out of a tournament. I used to love traveling and playing awesome players from OoS, but I don't play much anymore or practice anymore. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose this one in a heartbeat; RAGE doesn't interest me due to its distance and due to the top players already being determined there. No excitement.

These tournaments will continue to be monthly for as long as I can do so and people want them. Most of the people that will be showing up to this either A) weren't going to RAGE anyway or B) want some easy money.

This isn't a communication breakdown, this is someone else holding a tournament on the same date and both of us revealing our date within 48 hours of one another... if you're a TO that means you know the venue has already been reserved during that time. Chrono didn't do anything wrong, nor did I, and neither of us will be upset if someone goes to the other tournament over the other.

Just think about which one sounds better to you, and then go to that tournament. Maybe you want the all-pools MK banned funsy event at AL that's closer to you, maybe you're willing to make the drive to play with some higher caliber players that you don't see as often and want to play MK. It's just a personal choice, and neither tournament will hurt from your choice.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
People understand your argument. But most people are gonna perceive this as a d*ck move on your part regardless of what you say.

On a personal level I wouldn't care even if I was an Ohio citizen. But its an awkward position to put people in...and not just people in general but a very select group of people. Not that it was your intention to do so....but yeah. This is gay.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm the bad guy for delaying the reveal of my tournament on the request of the TO for the other tournament?

Kel

Smash Master
Guys, the tournament was reserved for this date. It was just a coincidence. It's all good. Jesse from AL is one of the coolest dudes in the world. I really doubt he would drop smash off one bad attendance when there is a regional in the same state on the same day. It's fine.

I believe I would enjoy myself more if I went to Al, but I've planned to go to Lokii's, and I haven't seen Vidjo/ people in Cleveland in forever.

BTW, OS, Gencon is the weekend after FC. Just something to remember when you're locking in the next date.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I believe I would enjoy myself more if I went to Al, but I've planned to go to Lokii's, and I haven't seen Vidjo/ people in Cleveland in forever.

BTW, OS, Gencon is the weekend after FC. Just something to remember when you're locking in the next date.
August 18th is gencon? I dunno what the status is on smashers going to that, but the only two dates are August 11th and 18th open for ALegacy, so we might have to skip August if too many people are planning on going to gencon. If it's just a small group I'll still host it, but we'll see.

If you're going to gencon on august 18th, you should post here saying so

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Biggest Difference between RAGE and these:

These will happen every Month, RAGE will not.
Well, maybe. That's the plan, but it appears everyone else isn't quite as intrigued at the idea unless there's absolutely nothing else going on. With August 18th being on gencon (is this important?), I might just drop it after July. I don't really feel like dealing with other people's drama, not worth my time. I just like hanging out with people and playing games. We'll see though .

SoulPech

Smash Master
I understand OS. It just sucks because I want to go to both tournaments and I feel others agree. Us *****ing about it isn't going to change anything, so might as well accept it. Your tournaments are fun, but I have not went to a NEOH tourney in a while and there's gonna be players I have never played before and it's gonna be a great experience. It's breaking my heart </3. Whenever your next tourney is, I will be going. ^^

:phone:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I understand it sucks, but when July 21st is the only weekend I have open to host the tournament and I confirm it, make the thread, and announce the date and get a PM from someone else who hadn't announced their tournament yet, neither of us can really do anything but cancel an event.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Hopefully those of you that want to go to this but can't because of RAGE (or other reasons) are able to make it to the next one. I most likely would and would definitely like to see more data for pool tournaments.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I'm still planning to go to RAGE with SoulPech. It's too bad I can't do that and this, but like Hilt said, hopefully I'll be able to go to the next one.

If I do go to RAGE, it'll be the biggest, furthest tourney that I've traveled to so far. Sooner or later I'll end up going out-of-state at that rate. It all calls to me on my wanting to travel more just for these sort of fun things, and I'll be able to meet more of the offline community like I wanted to.

Top Bottom