• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I think when it comes down to a Jab > Smash, I think at that point it all boils down to reaction time. Out of the three Smash attacks, I only found USmash to connect consecutively out of Jab. But the opponent's percentage has to be high, very high. Like at 240-270% (weight of opponent varies on percentage). However, I found Jab > DSmash to be quite effective at high percentages like 100-165%. Any higher, and the attack won't land. It's not consecutive, but if requires excellent reaction time for the opponent, and for the opponent to know what to do after getting hit from Jab. By the time the opponent can move again after the stun from Jab, Palutena's wings will already be in range to connect the attack. Even if your opponent jumps, in any direction, the attack will still land. There is only one way to get out of this, and that is if you jump (assuming you have another jump available) and air dodge at the same time, but you will get an increase in your jump height due to the wind effects, thus ultimately, giving Palutena time to recover from her DSmash lag. Even if you air dodge to the ground (like most people would do to escape from her Jab) The attack will still land due to the lag effect air dodging to the ground has. It's a weird follow up, and isn't something you should rely on, but it works under certain criterias.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So Reddit did their usual community voted tier list, but this time with customs on, and look who got a boost.

http://imgur.com/a/qap6L

The concept of a community voted tier list, especially one decided by Reddit of all people, is a pretty flawed one, but it is refreshing to see our gal near the top for once considering their previous tier lists had her at the bottom of the barrel (though they weren't taking custom moves into account back then). They also say she's the character with the most potential with customs on.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Oh yeah I saw that this morning! Oh man, that +32 jump by our goddess. I expected nothing less.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
You know, I think Default!Palutena might actually be a decent counterpick against Diddy Kong.

I play as her often online, and Reflect disables the banana, the Usmash can seriously mess up overhead Monkey Flip maneuvers, along with the windboxes... Funny thing is, I didn't even intend for her to work against Diddy at first. I took her up to get past the endless Mega Man/Link/Toonlink/Samus/etc.

I'm definitely keeping Defaultlutena as a secondary. There's no convincing me otherwise.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Still a little low for me. But people don't know she can kill at 20-40% with Lightweight. Seriously broken.
That tier list is pretty strange. I really don't see Fox, Falcon, Luigi, or Ness in the top 10.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
So, for you up and coming customs-using Palutena players, I would appreciate if you guys would mosey on over to this poll and place your votes on your 8 most preferred sets for Palutena, to help the Standard Moveset Project. You can also go back in and change your votes at any time.

As I mentioned in your Customs discussion thread, the top 10 from this poll isn't guaranteed to become your 10 sets, but it's important to help paint a clearer picture about her, because she is an all-over-the-place-mess when it comes to her customs, and you guys agree that most of hers are very useful.

To clarify, I'm running into the issue where Palutena's essential sets can basically be boiled down to the two sets of 2, 3, 1/2, 2, and that's all fine and good. Problem is we don't really know what to do with the other 8 sets, so yeah. I'd appreciate the assistance.

Sorry if I derailed any conversation that was happening. Carry on...

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Went to a tournament today and played pretty much only Palutena the entire day. Kinda felt off my game and didn't feel as serious as I should have felt but I had a lot of fun and had some pretty clutch games both friendly and in pools.

I got absolutely destroyed by a Zero suit player though, I had no idea what to do about them and couldn't figure anything out. It was terrible because first round they played Zelda and I 3 stocked them, it felt like I had been lied to. Any tips for this particular match up, I know that player pretty much always makes top 4 at tournaments and I'm bound to verse them again at some point so I don't want the next time to be such a destruction against me.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This place died.
Then it's time for a random theory.

Er... has anyone stopped to notice how similar Palutena looks to Morrigan Aensland from DarkStalkers?
I get the feeling she might be descended from our goddess somehow (despite the fact that she's a demon),
which would explain her uncommon power and interest in humans.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Then it's time for a random theory.

Er... has anyone stopped to notice how similar Palutena looks to Morrigan Aensland from DarkStalkers?
I get the feeling she might be descended from our goddess somehow (despite the fact that she's a demon),
which would explain her uncommon power and interest in humans.
I think it's just the tall + green hair thing, I don't think they look too similar otherwise. Admittedly I've only know her from Capcom crossovers and not Darkstalkers so there might be comparisons I don't get.

Yes, I am most certainly no fun at all.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Anyone ever full hop>airdodge>f-air/arial or something like that????? seems like its one of the worst things you could ever do in neutral. I saw this one "meh" Palutena I played in dittos on FG do it. I was like.... "interesting.... but really bad"

Also anyone find that they play worse with customs? I know I have. I just try to go for grabs at like 20-40% really punishable.

What kind of things do you guys do that you don't see anyone else do as Palutena?

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Anyone ever full hop>airdodge>f-air/arial or something like that????? seems like its one of the worst Also anyone find that they play worse with customs? I know I have. I just try to go for grabs at like 20-40% really punishable.

What kind of things do you guys do that you don't see anyone else do as Palutena?
I have came across a similar problem with customs. Like Super Speed for instance. Love the move, know full well what it is capable (heck, I even made a video on it) but when use it......I don't do so well. I think maybe it just because I don't fool around with it much. That, or maybe I just became too attached to using reflect. I have a similar problem with lightweight too, despite me not liking counter. I notice whenever I use either one of them, I rely too much on them, or I think about them most of the time, which deteriorates the playstyle that I usually follow with Palutena. Don't take this as me downing on customs, it is just 100% me. Sounds weird, but I'm a weird guy.

As for what I don't see in other Pallys...............warp cancel, warp cancel, Warp cancel, shield destroying reflects, Jab, Jab, Jab. I mainly see them either spamming auto reticle (which leaves them open if not done right) or relying WAY too much on her Dash attack. That, and most execute her grabs poorly. Than, as a result of all that, the give up, and call her a "Trash Character".

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
With customs on, I find myself in love with this character now, especially in Doubles. Explosive Flame wrecks things...

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
I have came across a similar problem with customs. Like Super Speed for instance. Love the move, know full well what it is capable (heck, I even made a video on it) but when use it......I don't do so well. I think maybe it just because I don't fool around with it much. That, or maybe I just became too attached to using reflect. I have a similar problem with lightweight too, despite me not liking counter. I notice whenever I use either one of them, I rely too much on them, or I think about them most of the time, which deteriorates the playstyle that I usually follow with Palutena. Don't take this as me downing on customs, it is just 100% me. Sounds weird, but I'm a weird guy.

As for what I don't see in other Pallys...............warp cancel, warp cancel, Warp cancel, shield destroying reflects, Jab, Jab, Jab. I mainly see them either spamming auto reticle (which leaves them open if not done right) or relying WAY too much on her Dash attack. That, and most execute her grabs poorly. Than, as a result of all that, the give up, and call her a "Trash Character".
Super Speed is really good, but at the same time unsafe. In my eyes it's very reminiscent of Ike's Quick Draw in PM, both can jump cancel and perform an aerial out of it. The way I use it is for starting a string or to lead into a kill-move. Although I'm kinda guilty of forgetting I have customs on sometimes due to being so used to regular Palutena. :p

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Super Speed is really good, but at the same time unsafe. In my eyes it's very reminiscent of Ike's Quick Draw in PM, both can jump cancel and perform an aerial out of it. The way I use it is for starting a string or to lead into a kill-move. Although I'm kinda guilty of forgetting I have customs on sometimes due to being so used to regular Palutena. :p
I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the move, and know how to do some.......fun combos with it, but sometimes having the move trips me up. It's a psychological thing......heh.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I never see anyone use D-air for anything other than edgeguarding, but I use it onstage a lot and it's actually working! The angle it sends grounded opponents at lets you do things like D-air>D-throw>F-air/RAR B-air (21/26 damage) at 20-40%, D-air>B-air (21 damage) at 35-70% and D-air>F-air at 40%-80% (16 damage) or so.

Of course, the percentages where these are true combos all depends on the character. I tested with Mario and Diddy, so at the very least this is accurate for them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you need to fast fall D-air and hit them very close to the ground for it to combo into grab. D-air>F-air/B-air is a lot more lenient with how far away you have to be from the ground for it to work, but you still need to fast fall.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it's just the tall + green hair thing, I don't think they look too similar otherwise. Admittedly I've only know her from Capcom crossovers and not Darkstalkers so there might be comparisons I don't get.

Yes, I am most certainly no fun at all.
Digging rather deep into the mythos, in Demitri Maximoff's (aka the other Darkstalkers main
character that no one knows about because Morrigan appears in everything) Vampire Saviour (name of the game) ending
he defeats Morrigan, who petrifies herself so that he can't eat her soul or something... sound familiar? (Not canon, though).

Who gave birth to her is currently completely up in the air as we only know her adopted father Belial.
The games take place in roughly the present with modern armies and all, and the demons here
live for at least hundreds of years. I don't know how old Morrigan really is, and trying to determine
it is made trickier due to the fact that her species have the odd quirk of starting as infants, then when
they reach a certain age they instantly mature into their adult (read: sexy) bodies and stay that way for their whole life.

Sorry for geeking out like this, but Morrigan's one of the most interesting characters I've seen. There's
a lot more to her than sex appeal.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Anyone ever full hop>airdodge>f-air/arial or something like that????? seems like its one of the worst things you could ever do in neutral. I saw this one "meh" Palutena I played in dittos on FG do it. I was like.... "interesting.... but really bad"

Also anyone find that they play worse with customs? I know I have. I just try to go for grabs at like 20-40% really punishable.

Jab > Reflect Barrier. It may be lame to some, but it can be an alternative to push someone off stage rather than relying on grabs all the time.

And for customs, I can only make use of Fireworks and Glide. I tried other sets before, even the unnoticed Angelic Missile, but maybe I just don't play enough anymore to the point where I go stale. Should I ever play again, I want it to be with fellow Pallys only til I feel more comfortable.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!

Kills from 20%-40%? Is that consistent, or stage dependent? Please enlighten me! I'm always eager to learn more things that will help me be successful with Palutena. I know of getting kills at 50%~ish from dthrow -> nair -> upair in lightweight form, depending on how the opponent DIs everything. So basically, she can kill even earlier?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Kills from 20%-40%? Is that consistent, or stage dependent? Please enlighten me! I'm always eager to learn more things that will help me be successful with Palutena. I know of getting kills at 50%~ish from dthrow -> nair -> upair in lightweight form, depending on how the opponent DIs everything. So basically, she can kill even earlier?
Rage effect is super important for killing that early as well. I believe when I'm at around 90 she can kill even earlier. Also depends on character weight. I used to think that the sacred combo couldn't be done on Battlefield unless you were on a platform. I remember getting it from ground level when I was at a higher percent. Of course platforms help kill earlier as well.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Just a quick question for the day.

............*clears throat*............Am I the only Palutena who makes use of ALL her tilts, and not just her down tilt?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

............*clears throat*............Am I the only Palutena who makes use of ALL her tilts, and not just her down tilt?

Probably so. Even I can't make use of the others, at least not U-tilt cept as a taunt. But when it comes to Reflect Barrier, I may be one of the few that loves to make use of it in many ways.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Probably so. Even I can't make use of the others, at least not U-tilt cept as a taunt. But when it comes to Reflect Barrier, I may be one of the few that loves to make use of it in many ways.
I'm surprised to hear that, because your the reason why I love reflect so much. .............You know with the whole...............breaking the shield.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm surprised to hear that, because your the reason why I love reflect so much. .............You know with the whole...............breaking the shield.
I'm flattered. It ignoring shields and hitting ppl directly is a skill that shall not go unnoticed.

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui

I use up-tilt as an anti-air option and f-tilt seems best to use on the ledge. Dair is also really good to use Oos, it can be a really good combo starter too.

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281

I do, but only in certain situations. Like up-tilt I use as an anti-air move and f-tilt for spot dodges.

Also, hi everyone. I'm kinda new here, I've been using Palutena since November-ish ^~^

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

Nah. Utilt is a great antiair, dtilt can be used for mixups or to hit teleport recoveries on their one frame of vulnerability, and I've actually found ftilt to be ok at stopping very aggressive ground approaches or aerial ones in general since it's disjointed, decently long ranged, long lasting with multiple hitboxes and it does decent shield damage/can occasionally shield poke.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I have an announcement :roll:

A couple weeks ago I had posted that I had really started thinking about dropping Palutena as one of my mains. Some people here told me not to, but I've got to be honest with you: I still did. I was just so disappointed in her that I just stopped using her at all, but never came here to tell you guys because, well... I wouldn't have gotten anything from that.

BUT.

A week ago I kind of started missing her (my "anger" towards her had diminished) and a little spark of "hope" that maaaybe she could be somewhat useful was born on me, so I decided to start practicing with her, reading some tips, watching videos and whatnot...

AND IT WORKED!

I'm a proud Palutena main again! I've been wrecking things right and left on For Glory and even managed to beat a friend who is a pro at Sheik and Captain Falcon several times! Jab -> Grab -> Pummel -> Down Throw -> F-Air/U-Air WORKS, people! IT WORKS! Also I've been working on my timing with Counter and Reflect and she's become even more fun to use. Countering a Reverse Warlock Punch from Ganondorf? Yeah, I did that, and it felt AWESOME. I'm the odd one of the group since I DO like Autoreticle and I think it's a good move to stop opponents from their tracks. You just have to know when and how to use it properly.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Count me in again, guys. I'm back. :4palutena:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I did double Palutena w/ my friend Michael & it was so fun! The team is actually surprisingly decent. Their moves combo so well into each other, you can just keep opponent's locked in the air w/ upairs/nair & follow up after all her grabs.

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Rage effect is super important for killing that early as well. I believe when I'm at around 90 she can kill even earlier. Also depends on character weight. I used to think that the sacred combo couldn't be done on Battlefield unless you were on a platform. I remember getting it from ground level when I was at a higher percent. Of course platforms help kill earlier as well.
Omg, I see what you mean! I just started landing those sort of kills today. I did it at over 100% and a little over 160%. I guess I never thought it would kill from that low. Wow.

C3CC

Smash Lord

Her Up tilt is godly (no pun intended) because it's useful to stop enemies coming from above.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Honestly, every time I've used a tilt, intentionally or accidentally I get punished for it, especially her dtilt actually. When smash 4 first came out I thought her Utilt was amazing and it is when it hits (might be good to attempt using it more out of super speed) I absolutely never want to use her forward tilt though, if the move combo'd itself instead of knocking the opponent away the moment it hit it would be fine but you can get punished with it even when it hits which is the worst.

andimidna

Smash Master
Hey guys c:

Was the mystery on how palutena grabbed the ledge backwards on the 3ds f zero stage ever figured out and posted here.
Cause if not, I just figured it out on the wii u version and could explain it (I'm not up to date enough to assume it hasn't already been done lol)

Top Bottom