• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I suppose I should return to activity here.

How it is, fellow Palumainas? :3
Nothing for me on my end, though I want to work on snapshots, and playing Monster Hunter. It's shameful probably, but sometimes relaxing helps.

andimidna

Smash Master
Can someone answer this cause it's pretty cool. All her ledge options change and look glitchy af I just dunno if this was already established
Hey guys c:

Was the mystery on how palutena grabbed the ledge backwards on the 3ds f zero stage ever figured out and posted here.
Cause if not, I just figured it out on the wii u version and could explain it (I'm not up to date enough to assume it hasn't already been done lol)

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Can someone answer this cause it's pretty cool. All her ledge options change and look glitchy af I just dunno if this was already established
I meant to reply to that earlier, but than I got my hands tied. So here is what I typed yesterday before I actually posted it:

Hey guys c:

Was the mystery on how palutena grabbed the ledge backwards on the 3ds f zero stage ever figured out and posted here.
Cause if not, I just figured it out on the wii u version and could explain it (I'm not up to date enough to assume it hasn't already been done lol)
I can typically sometimes perform certain tech without really knowing what the name of it is. So I may have done it before, just didn't realize what the mass majority call it or anything. From the way it sounds, it sounds new to me.

So enlighten me. What does it do, and how do you perform it? Either I will have never heard of it before nor done it before, or it will spark a remembrance.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
HA! Beat a Sonic on For Glory THREE TIMES IN A ROW with Palu! And the player was pretty good; they were all really close battles!

andimidna

Smash Master
image.jpg

I don't think this has been explored enough to have a name yet, whoever might want to can.

How: This is just for custom Palutena with jump glide. Approach the ledge while using jump glide. Turn your back to the ledge right before snapping the ledge. You can't just be backwards, the game knows how to deal with that, but when you grab while turning around you grab backwards. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure you can't do this while being backwards then turning towards the ledge while grabbing it.

What this changes other than just being backwards:
Ledge option:
Jump- you will still jump off the ledge but your momentum will go towards off-stage diagonally up. Could be used for edgeguarding.
Roll- this one is weird. You like roll forward and then backwards a bit, and end up at the tip of the ledge. This is cool because you still have all the rolling invincibility of a roll but end up closer to the ledge than a regular get up
Get up attack- she gets up backwards and the hitbox reaches off stage a bit. Overall pretty similar, same use, just looks really weird.
Standard Get up- this is probably the hardest one to get used to. Pressing towards the stage causes you to go off the ledge like what would normally happen if you pressed away from the ledge. So you get up by pressing away from the ledge, other than that, same uses.
Also tested ledge punishes and trumps to see if it went glitchy.
The trump resulted in her falling in towards the stage and she goes through the stage a bit. Looks pretty funny. Avoids getting ledge trump->bair'd, any hit after that could be teched cause you're right next to the stage.
Palutena's already somewhat hard to attack at the ledge because she hangs so low, but I was using mega man when testing in training mode and there was nothing I could hit her with without jumping off the ledge. She can get hit by a metal blade angled down usually but when she's backwards it goes right past her. This is not fully explored yet tho, just that one thing.

Also this could have different affects on stages with walls, or lylat. Seems like something interesting to be explored more.
I tested all this on smashville like in the picture.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

I don't think this has been explored enough to have a name yet, whoever might want to can.

How: This is just for custom Palutena with jump glide. Approach the ledge while using jump glide. Turn your back to the ledge right before snapping the ledge. You can't just be backwards, the game knows how to deal with that, but when you grab while turning around you grab backwards. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure you can't do this while being backwards then turning towards the ledge while grabbing it.

Ledge option:
Jump- you will still jump off the ledge but your momentum will go towards off-stage diagonally up. Could be used for edgeguarding.
Roll- this one is weird. You like roll forward and then backwards a bit, and end up at the tip of the ledge. This is cool because you still have all the rolling invincibility of a roll but end up closer to the ledge than a regular get up
Get up attack- she gets up backwards and the hitbox reaches off stage a bit. Overall pretty similar, same use, just looks really weird.
Standard Get up- this is probably the hardest one to get used to. Pressing towards the stage causes you to go off the ledge like what would normally happen if you pressed away from the ledge. So you get up by pressing away from the ledge, other than that, same uses.
The trump resulted in her falling in towards the stage and she goes through the stage a bit. Looks pretty funny. Avoids getting ledge trump->bair'd, any hit after that could be teched cause you're right next to the stage.
Palutena's already somewhat hard to attack at the ledge because she hangs so low, but I was using mega man when testing in training mode and there was nothing I could hit her with without jumping off the ledge. She can get hit by a metal blade angled down usually but when she's backwards it goes right past her. This is not fully explored yet tho, just that one thing.

Also this could have different affects on stages with walls, or lylat. Seems like something interesting to be explored more.
I do that before on accident during my Smash Run marathons.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210

Ledge option:

Me likey.

Ok, I got some testing to do, thanks.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Heh, that's pretty nifty.

I don't use Jump Glide, so it doesn't mean much for my game, but it's nice that we're still discovering these things.

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281

Ledge option:

Why does it seem like that everyday there's something that makes me consider using Jump Glide over Warp? >.< Nice find btw :)

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I could've sworn there was a thread about the backwards ledge grab forever ago, but I can't find it. Nice to know how it actually works now though, the old method mentioned having to B-reverse it.

Since it puts you inside the stage and stages are hollow, you should be able to ledge release and pop up through the floor of the stage wherever you want - or even cross through the stage to the other ledge.

Lots of ledge attacks have surprising downward reach, in the rare occasion you're hanging onto the ledge backwards and your opponent is also recovering a ledge attack might be able to gimp them. Haven't tried this yet, just thinking out loud.

EDIT: I probably should've actually tried this ingame before typing stuff, I guess Palutena doesn't actually clip into the stage when holding the ledge backwards so you can't fall through it. Ledge trumps ejecting you onto the stage is pretty cool though, and the ledge attack thing might still have validity.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
@ andimidna andimidna Thank you so much for finally discovering how to do this!
With this weird backwards ledge grabbing as well as Jump Glide being great for approaching, I think this should be the up special that we almost always use. I'm going to try using this glitch in actual matches and see how it works out. Of course, I'll report back here if I find anything interesting!

Btw, I did some testing and Palutena's backwards getup attack unfortunately does not seem to hit underneath ledges. However, it does have a horizontal hitbox that's decently ranged. The hitbox also sends the opponent almost completely at a horizontal angle, so it's still good for gimping if the opportunity ever arises.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So apparently, Palutena is referred to as "ThatChar". This is the 19th time someone referred to Palutena as a "Cheap" "OP" or a "Broken" character. One guy even said to me "URuinSmash". What am I suppose to do? Follow the stereotype of most Palutena players and be garbage, just like the tier list labels us? Am I suppose to use her Smash attacks at the wrong time so I can get punished to demonstrate how laggy Palu is? Am I suppose to not use her aerials? Oh yeah, I forgot. Down throw is forbidden right? Obviously, people haven't meant AeroLink_the_SoulMaster, Cap'nChreest, and Admiral Pit. Two of which I battled against myself, and got rekt, while the other one a never battled against, but I automatically know is great by default........you know who you are. :chuckle: So I guess that means AeroLink, Cap'nChreest, and Admiral Pit have to hang up their Smash coats, because according to these 19 people, we as a united Palutena community are "ruining" Smash. They would insist for us to stop using a "Trash" character, because apparently, Trash=OP, and would rather insist for us to pick up Hoo-Hah. :4diddy:

I wouldn't be surprise if these guys thought this thing :4mii::4miisword:........is broken....

Ok, my fun is over. Sooooo, how was everyone else day? From here, the weather is always fine in Skyworld. :D

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So apparently, Palutena is referred to as "ThatChar". This is the 19th time someone referred to Palutena as a "Cheap" "OP" or a "Broken" character. One guy even said to me "URuinSmash". What am I suppose to do? Follow the stereotype of most Palutena players and be garbage, just like the tier list labels us? Am I suppose to use her Smash attacks at the wrong time so I can get punished to demonstrate how laggy Palu is? Am I suppose to not use her aerials? Oh yeah, I forgot. Down throw is forbidden right? Obviously, people haven't meant AeroLink_the_SoulMaster, Cap'nChreest, and Admiral Pit. Two of which I battled against myself, and got rekt, while the other one a never battled against, but I automatically know is great by default........you know who you are. :chuckle: So I guess that means AeroLink, Cap'nChreest, and Admiral Pit have to hang up their Smash coats, because according to these 19 people, we as a united Palutena community are "ruining" Smash. They would insist for us to stop using a "Trash" character, because apparently, Trash=OP, and would rather insist for up to pick up Hoo-Hah. :4diddy:

I wouldn't be surprise if these guys thought this thing :4mii::4miisword:........is broken....

Ok, my fun is over. Sooooo, how was everyone else day? From here, the weather is always fine in Skyworld. :D

Oh, those kids haven't seen how cheap Diddy is. I honestly don't see how Pally's cheap in any way, even if she had customs at her disposal. That kinda stuff. However, I can at least celebrate that some people see Pally as a threat now, even if they are just kids or brats who don't like her. When you whip them and they complain and Pally, just imagine Palutena showing off like so:

Featuring one of my snapshots.

Tbh I'm just not playing much because I hated the community and its elitism as of late, along with the problem with the game being noob-friendly as I said before once somewhere + stress from that... that and my occupation with playing Monster Hunter. However, I do take Smash snapshots from time to time, but that's pretty much it these days.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So apparently, Palutena is referred to as "ThatChar". This is the 19th time someone referred to Palutena as a "Cheap" "OP" or a "Broken" character. One guy even said to me "URuinSmash". What am I suppose to do? Follow the stereotype of most Palutena players and be garbage, just like the tier list labels us? Am I suppose to use her Smash attacks at the wrong time so I can get punished to demonstrate how laggy Palu is? Am I suppose to not use her aerials? Oh yeah, I forgot. Down throw is forbidden right? Obviously, people haven't meant AeroLink_the_SoulMaster, Cap'nChreest, and Admiral Pit. Two of which I battled against myself, and got rekt, while the other one a never battled against, but I automatically know is great by default........you know who you are. :chuckle: So I guess that means AeroLink, Cap'nChreest, and Admiral Pit have to hang up their Smash coats, because according to these 19 people, we as a united Palutena community are "ruining" Smash. They would insist for us to stop using a "Trash" character, because apparently, Trash=OP, and would rather insist for up to pick up Hoo-Hah. :4diddy:

Ok, now I just meant the 20th person.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
"Palutena is broken and should be banned".

top kek

Good on ya for stickin' to your guns though, we'll show the non-believers and the unrighteous who the true Goddess 'round here is. :3

EDIT: Although I don't condone taking potshots at other people's favourite characters. Light-hearted teasing is fine, but we're a community and we've all gotta stick together, yeah?

Even the Diddy players. ;P

Last edited:

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
I honestly feel like Palutena has very useful tools that can handle most of the top characters in this game,it just takes precision and patience hehe. The only matchup I haven't really figured out yet is Zss and Sonic other than that the others aren't really a problem. But once our almighty goddess's potential has been revealed it will be amazing~

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281
I've actually went through similar situations, but it usually goes like this:

-Plays Palutena

-Beats opponent

-Opponent switches to Palutena

-Opponent loses horribly

-Opponent leaves

This has happened to me so many times. It's nice that people are starting to see the light.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I've actually went through similar situations, but it usually goes like this:

-Plays Palutena

-Beats opponent

-Opponent switches to Palutena

-Opponent loses horribly

-Opponent leaves

This has happened to me so many times. It's nice that people are starting to see the light.
Had that happen about 3 times before the "Palutena is cheap" trend came about. Hearing about this almost makes me want to fight on FG again, but that'd probably just stress me out again.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I don't play FG or really anyone online but lately playing customs with my friends they've been getting a bit salty when they lose, and they play Diddy Kong. The moment they get hit with more than 2 nairs is the moment the salt comes flyin.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I haven't been here in a really looong time
I just came here to say, Can we please appreciate how beautiful Palutena is? :)

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
So I'm here now.

I only recently picked up Palutena after a lot of the stigma she had when the game was first released, and I really, really like how agile she feels. Slow tilts aren't that big a deal to me, and I'm having a lot of fun exploring her custom moves.

Currently running 1312, since I can't get used to Explosive Flame's spacing. Maybe some day...

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I'm here now.

I only recently picked up Palutena after a lot of the stigma she had when the game was first released, and I really, really like how agile she feels. Slow tilts aren't that big a deal to me, and I'm having a lot of fun exploring her custom moves.

Currently running 1312, since I can't get used to Explosive Flame's spacing. Maybe some day...
Welcome to the temple, fellow goddess! Nice to see a fellow follower of the divine path 'round here~ :3

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
ooo Aerolink won last friday's shockwave singles tournament with customtena

Last edited:

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
Managed to get top 16 at Final Round using Palu ^.^|

Sadly they stopped streaming Smash 4 RIGHT BEFORE i was about to get on stream =\

Edit: 13th to be exact

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
I like the positivism here (if that is written wrong sorry) about that tech @ andimidna andimidna explained earlier, I think I saw a video but don't remember where, as a visual person myself I understood the mechanics but for me nothing is better than video footage, if by any means anyone have one please share with me if it isn't a problem.

On another note glad to see Palutena's reputation is slowly shifting if I may see too slowly but still, I guess people often pass on her because you have to be really timed on when or where use certain moves or you could be punished hard, since you can't simply mash bottom and expect to do well, like the Noobsmacs the pester online, I myself feel quite a difference in my playstyle when I play as her, when using Yoshi it's not that I simply mash and win of course I have to think but I feel I am less punishable if I made a mistake, with the goddess I am on the offensive but she is a really precise character every move should be used at the right moment, if you manage to pull this off, you are winning with great style, let's be honest here, she has very elegant moves, you simply can't look bad playing as her, and it is always more interesting to say "I am a Palutena main" than "Luck another Diddy main!" (no offense intented if any Diddy user is around)

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I like the positivism here (if that is written wrong sorry) about that tech @ andimidna andimidna explained earlier, I think I saw a video but don't remember where, as a visual person myself I understood the mechanics but for me nothing is better than video footage, if by any means anyone have one please share with me if it isn't a problem.

On another note glad to see Palutena's reputation is slowly shifting if I may see too slowly but still, I guess people often pass on her because you have to be really timed on when or where use certain moves or you could be punished hard, since you can't simply mash bottom and expect to do well, like the Noobsmacs the pester online, I myself feel quite a difference in my playstyle when I play as her, when using Yoshi it's not that I simply mash and win of course I have to think but I feel I am less punishable if I made I mistake, with the goddess I am on the offensive but she is a really precise character every move should be used at the right moment, if you manage to pull this off, you are winning with great style, let's be honest here, she has very elegant moves, you simply can't look bad playing as her, and it is always more interesting to say "I am a Palutena main" than "Luck another Diddy main!" (no offense intented if any Diddy user is around)
After fooling around with the tech for awhile, the practice was definitely worth it. It's tricky, but after a while, it becomes somewhat easy. Sort of like Warp canceling, though if you mess up, you aren't punished for it. I still think I'm going to stick with warp though, but it's just nice to find new things about Palutena, which in turn, can give birth to different Palu-Styles. That I most Heavenly welcome.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found much use for Heavenly Light though. Sadly, I don't think we ever will.

As for a video on the jump glide tech, I could probably cover that, however, I am currently away from my recording equipment, and probably won't be able to make the video until about 4:00PM EST

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master

On another note glad to see Palutena's reputation is slowly shifting if I may see too slowly but still, I guess people often pass on her because you have to be really timed on when or where use certain moves or you could be punished hard, since you can't simply mash bottom and expect to do well, like the Noobsmacs the pester online, I myself feel quite a difference in my playstyle when I play as her, when using Yoshi it's not that I simply mash and win of course I have to think but I feel I am less punishable if I made I mistake, with the goddess I am on the offensive but she is a really precise character every move should be used at the right moment, if you manage to pull this off, you are winning with great style, let's be honest here, she has very elegant moves, you simply can't look bad playing as her, and it is always more interesting to say "I am a Palutena main" than "Luck another Diddy main!" (no offense intented if any Diddy user is around)
I would make a video... if I had the equipment and was in America rn :p
After fooling around with the tech for awhile, the practice was definitely worth it. It's tricky, but after a while, it becomes somewhat easy. Sort of like Warp canceling, though if you mess up, you aren't punished for it. I still think I'm going to stick with warp though, but it's just nice to find new things about Palutena, which in turn, can give birth to different Palu-Styles. That I most Heavenly welcome.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found much use for Heavenly Light though. Sadly, I don't think we ever will.

As for a video on the jump glide tech, I could probably cover that, however, I am currently away from my recording equipment, and probably won't be able to make the video until about 4:00PM EST
Oh that would be awesome
And warp definitely has a lot of pros
The reason I think jump glide will become more common later on doesn't have to do with this tech tho, just being able to get another opportunity to use an aerial like up air to go for those early lightweight grab 50-deaths
Also I've been trying to think of uses for Heavenly Light and I haven't tried it yet but on something like smashville maybe she could use it for some like hit and run technique when combined with lightweight, super speed, b reverses, and momentum saving. Idk how affective it would be I'm just hoping it doesn't stay useless
Edit
So I'm here now.

1312 is the way to start with Palutena. I'd recommend that to any trying custom tuna. I still mostly use it even tho ik eventually I wanna use a different set

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I would make a video... if I had the equipment and was in America rn :p

Oh that would be awesome
And warp definitely has a lot of pros
The reason I think jump glide will become more common later on doesn't have to do with this tech tho, just being able to get another opportunity to use an aerial like up air to go for those early lightweight grab 50-deaths
Also I've been trying to think of uses for Heavenly Light and I haven't tried it yet but on something like smashville maybe she could use it for some like hit and run technique when combined with lightweight, super speed, b reverses, and momentum saving. Idk how affective it would be I'm just hoping it doesn't stay useless
Edit

1312 is the way to start with Palutena. I'd recommend that to any trying custom tuna. I still mostly use it even tho ik eventually I wanna use a different set
Any ideas on a name for it? All I could think of was "reversal edge grab".

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So I have been fooling around with that smooth lander equipment, and decided to make a vid on it.

Ever wonder why L-Canceling isn't in the game as a mechanic, and why light weight isn't one of Palutena's default specials? Well, here's why (JK but not really):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8HtPWqQFus

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So I have been fooling around with that smooth lander equipment, and decided to make a vid on it.

Ever wonder why L-Canceling isn't in the game as a mechanic, and why light weight isn't one of Palutena's default specials? Well, here's why (JK but not really):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8HtPWqQFus
Well, looks like a potential duel of Pallys should come back again (recorded), if you make practice with that gal. Smooth Lander Pally vs my Speed Crasher set and other random sets (most have no equips). I don't know why though. I just feel that even though I don't like playing anymore, I do miss having actually good vids up when I'm on the scene, though I never did get much good of this at all when it came to vid rep in this game. Usually it's just idiots and others insulting me, but I wanted to change that someday, with the help of fellow Pallys. :(
Maybe I'm just sad and ranting.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Well, looks like a potential duel of Pallys should come back again (recorded), if you make practice with that gal. Smooth Lander Pally vs my Speed Crasher set and other random sets (most have no equips). I don't know why though. I just feel that even though I don't like playing anymore, I do miss having actually good vids up when I'm on the scene, though I never did get much good of this at all when it came to vid rep in this game. Usually it's just idiots and others insulting me, but I wanted to change that someday, with the help of fellow Pallys. :(
Maybe I'm just sad and ranting.
Yeah, so far, I found a set to balance out those Stat changes. I don't really like increasing the character's stats or anything. Kinda throws me off. Plus, I want to keep it as close to the original stats as possible. But sure, we can have some matches. Maybe not today, (going to be playing monster hunter 4 with my brother and cousin) but someday soon. I'll be looking forward to it. :)

Top Bottom