• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't care at all about Hitler Miis and agree that it's a bad argument. I just think Miis in general are a really bland choice. They aren't visually appealing at all, imo, and they're just generic avatars - I would much rather see a character with a history, actual story, and move-set based on something interesting and well established than some random dude's avatar with a hodgepodge moveset from a bunch of sports titles and whatnot that I played once or twice solely because they came packaged with the Wii and then got bored of. But that's just my take on it. If somebody has an argument that makes Miis sound really appealing, I'd love to hear it, but I haven't yet.
Yeah, Popo & Nana sure have a deep story about their adventures.
Surely in this case, I think Sakurai is only looking for characters that add a little something in the gameplay department, backstory, personality or otherwise. I Not a character per say, but a personality of the game or series they come from (I mean look what he did to Wario). And with the Mii's, I sure her could get something out of Wii Play(operating toy tanks), Wii Sports Resort(Swordplay, Frisbee, & Island Flyover) and Wii Play Motion(Shooting Range Plus and Umbrella).

I mean, what's wrong with using sport equipment in battles?

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Yeah, Popo & Nana sure have a deep story about their adventures.
Surely in this case, I think Sakurai is only looking for characters that add a little something in the gameplay department, backstory, personality or otherwise. I Not a character per say, but a personality of the game or series they come from (I mean look what he did to Wario). And with the Mii's, I sure her could get something out of Wii Play(operating toy tanks), Wii Sports Resort(Swordplay, Frisbee, & Island Flyover) and Wii Play Motion(Shooting Range Plus and Umbrella).

I mean, what's wrong with using sport equipment in battles?
True that Popo and Nana don't really have a story, although they are from an era where that was the standard, and they're very unique characters gameplay-wise. Obviously, there are many different things worth considering, and the Ice Climbers offer something interesting. I'm not even saying I would've chosen Ice Climbers myself, but Sakurai was able to make them worthwhile, and maybe he'll be able to do the same with the Mii's, I don't know. I'm not denying they could be made interesting, mostly just because any character could potentially be made interesting - I have just not been convinced that Mii's would be more interesting than... literally almost any other character.

I will say I would choose them over the likes of Jumpman, if that makes you happy :p But, personally, I would much rather fight some ****** adventurers, or a wide variety of other recognizable characters, than, say, Dave from Colorado with his hodgepodge of forgettable Mii game moves... no offense meant to any Daves from Colorado!

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Unless you can't fight as your Mii, just a predesigned Mii. I mean, Villager is completely customisable, but in Smash he's just a standard Villager.

I still think that Mii's do have a personality - a very silly personality. They could turn out as really fun characters.

Anyway, not the place to discuss it. On topic, who thinks we'll still get two characters this month? I'm certain we'll get one next week, because it'll be four weeks since the last. If we get one early next week, perhaps late March is a possibility.

Then April we have a bi-monthly Direct (worldwide) and potential Ice Climbers for NES Remix 2 (NES Remix is super fun btw)

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Yeah, but the whole point of a Mii is to design it after yourself, that's why it's called a Mii. Their whole gimmick so far has been allowing you to insert yourself into games, abandoning that wouldn't really make much sense. Villagers are a bit different on that note - it's all based on answering random questions, you have to look up the answers online if you want to really control their appearance outside of clothing. Or, you know, just use the Mii mask, the option they give you to specifically make it look like you XD But yeah, choosing the most standard Villager design makes sense to me, although I would love some alternate costumes with different designs. Choosing a standard Mii design... defeats the point of Miis entirely.

Anyways, yeah, I suppose this relates to the topic but isn't completely on topic. I'm never quite sure how far these things stretch XD I'm doubting 2 characters this month, though, I think we've just been really spoiled lately. I can already sense people getting annoyed at character reveals slowing down again, but the truth is, we just had a bunch of big game releases grouped together, and now that we're nearing the end of that, character reveals are probably going to go back to how they were before. Random, possibly 1 per month. We have waited over a month before, haven't we? And we've waited longer than that back in the Dojo days. So I'm prepared for a wait.

Here's hoping the bi-monthly Direct with a newcomer reveal trend holds up, though! Nintendo clearly knows those are the big crowd pleaser, so hopefully they keep 'em coming.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We're 9 for 10 right now for the month, we were 5 for 5 for the first time ever this past week, and there's still a ton of obligatory stuff left to show for the month. I mentioned this last weekend too but we were surprised and got more than we usually do with 2 new stages in a single week and yet another returning item. It could be argued that off the "check list" we still have: at least one playable character, one new item, one assist trophy (whether old, new, or both), and one pokeball pokemon (whether old, new, or both). That's a lot of content to squeeze into 11 more updates (these cover up to 6) so I'm pretty optimistic about this coming week and the next.

Add in: I guess if we do get a new character then we'll also have the usual throwaway pic describing moves we already know about so I guess this could cover up to 7 of the remaining 11 pics.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You're forgetting this badass mother****er right here:
****ing. Ganbare Goemon. I'd do anything for it to be in Smash. It's just that perfect of a series from Konami that wouldn't have difficult time fit in while bringing a whole new slew of themes to the game. I think I played all the SNES-games and moved to N64-one (first) eons ago but didn't somehow bother to complete it. And they're all hilarious and fantastic- in fact I'd call Goemon 4 SNES one of the most best and imaginative platformers in the game, it's a lot like Ganbare Goemon-series' Super Mario 3D World (amazing level design, music, humour, characters, etc)

Sadly this'll be quite a pipe dream as it can get, what a shame.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if there will be a new AT confirmed next week.
Or an old one returning. And if so I hope it's something like Hammer Bro or Devil. The boards are still grieving Waluigi.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You don't want to insert your self into a game where you get to fight with videogame characters?
I personally don't. I also want to fight video game characters when I go online in Smash, not self-insert versions of people from all around the world.

As for the coming week, I have hopes for a random character reveal, possibly Ice Climbers or Wario. I'd also like to see an AT, but preferably not one that people actually want as a playable character like Isaac or Lyn.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I personally don't. I also want to fight video game characters when I go online in Smash, not self-insert versions of people from all around the world.

As for the coming week, I have hopes for a random character reveal, possibly Ice Climbers or Wario. I'd also like to see an AT, but preferably not one that people actually want as a playable character like Isaac or Lyn.
You really Think you would ONLY see Miis online? ^^ Really doubt that. Just like in Mario Kart, they will exist, but most will use the 'cooler' characters.

Also, I do expect a veteran next week. Then again, I expected one this past week as well, but Yoshi didn't show...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You really Think you would ONLY see Miis online? ^^ Really doubt that. Just like in Mario Kart, they will exist, but most will use the 'cooler' characters.
Of course we won't see them everywhere, but it's obvious that they're going to be a very popular choice, especially by the Miiverse community. I'd like to be invested in the matches I play, I don't see myself being very invested fighting against a random Pablo from Madrid.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isn't this thread supposed to be closed on weekends?
Even though I'm not the mod that runs this thread, I think the conversation is on topic enough to not warrant it. People are largely talking about what could be potentially revealed this week instead of random pics and gifs like in the past.

Last edited:

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
I'm still certain we'll still receive two characters this month. There's been two instances now where characters have been revealed only eight days apart (Rosalina and Zelda, Little Mac and Diddy Kong), and there's nothing that would indicate history not repeating itself.

It's worth noting, though, that both these times there's been a Direct of some sort. So my theory is there will be a Special Nintendo Direct which announces a returning character, like we've seen with Sonic and Luigi. If this is the case, we could be seeing Yoshi after all, along with some 'Year of Yoshi' announcement.

20th March - Wario?
th - 31st March - Special Nintendo Direct w/ Character Reveal?

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Of course we won't see them everywhere, but it's obvious that they're going to be a very popular choice, especially by the Miiverse community. I'd like to be invested in the matches I play, I don't see myself being very invested fighting against a random Pablo from Madrid.
Well, remember that IF Miis are playable, they will most likely have the same moveset all the time, and only the apperance will change. It's still just one other character. ^^ I doubt it would be as bad as some say.

Also, are there any noticable games or so released next week? That may change what character I will predict~

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Regarding Miis - I think they should just be Smash Bros' equivalent to Combot from Tekken Tag Tournament 2. You have a set selection of moves to assign to your Mii to allow you to personalise a play style. Then, you could change their attire. For example, Miis have a bland default costume, being a t-shirt of sorts with a flat texture. However, this could give stickers an awesome purpose - placing them on your Mii's t-shirt, and make them look like the biggest fanboy of whatever series you love!

Also, the selection of moves available could be based on your Mii's size, a la Mario Kart. So if your Mii is big, it would get moves from big characters like Bowser and Ganondorf. If it's mid-sized, it could use ones from the likes of Mario, Sonic, etc.

It's kind of a dream idea, but it'd be really cool.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord

****ing. Ganbare Goemon. I'd do anything for it to be in Smash. It's just that perfect of a series from Konami that wouldn't have difficult time fit in while bringing a whole new slew of themes to the game. I think I played all the SNES-games and moved to N64-one (first) eons ago but didn't somehow bother to complete it. And they're all hilarious and fantastic- in fact I'd call Goemon 4 SNES one of the most best and imaginative platformers in the game, it's a lot like Ganbare Goemon-series' Super Mario 3D World (amazing level design, music, humour, characters, etc)

Sadly this'll be quite a pipe dream as it can get, what a shame.
Goemon.

Pipe dream.

Ohohohohohohohoho

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Anyone see Yoshi being revealed on Saint Patrick's Day? What better than the most popular green lizard, dinosaur thing. Lol.
Anyway, I am certain we will see a veteran this week, with no major releases soon, my money is on Captain Falcon or Ice Climbers

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I really am fairly confident we won't get Yoshi next. I think we're "due" for a vet reveal, but I mean, it could be random.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
You don't want to insert your self into a game where you get to fight with videogame characters?
Not particularly XD I'm boring, what have I done to merit being in Smash Bros? I play video games for escape, dang it! :p

Aren't people expecting a potential Wario reveal next week for whatever reason? Would be nice to see Wario. As for totally random reveals, I think the most interesting one right now would be Lucas, Ike or Wolf, since they are who people always go to first for cuts.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
nope, defeats the purpose of playing games, which is to escape and experience a different world. a mii is just generic and ugly .

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai doesn't care a lot about anniversaries, tho.
Well Lucario was revealed for Brawls anniversary, Little Mac was revealed around Punch-Out! Wii's anniversary, and I'm pretty sure that Marth was revealed for some Fire Emblem anniversary. And I think Peach was around the original Japanese Mario Bros. anniversary, or I'm just stupid and it was because of the VC release... Either way, Sakurai does take anniversaries into account.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well Lucario was revealed for Brawls anniversary, Little Mac was revealed around Punch-Out! Wii's anniversary, and I'm pretty sure that Marth was revealed for some Fire Emblem anniversary. And I think Peach was around the original Japanese Mario Bros. anniversary, or I'm just stupid and it was because of the VC release... Either way, Sakurai does take anniversaries into account.
No, either way we continue to think that Sakurai takes anniversaries into account.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's never outright said that anniversaries were the reason for the reveal, so until that starts to happen, there's a difference between him saying "This game is out today so here's this character!" and us asking "well he didn't say anything about a game, so what date is close enough that that must be the reason?"

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
[sips gingerale]
Yall still trying to accurately predict Sakurai, huh?
I can see you all being right a few times, but it's hilarious how off everyone is most of the time.
It's one of the reasons I love this thread.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
No, either way we continue to think that Sakurai takes anniversaries into account.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's never outright said that anniversaries were the reason for the reveal, so until that starts to happen, there's a difference between him saying "This game is out today so here's this character!" and us asking "well he didn't say anything about a game, so what date is close enough that that must be the reason?"
Sakurai in the Miiverse comments of Lucario's reveal: " Lucario joined the battle for the first time in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which was released six years ago. The production staff of Brawl worked really hard to expand the character roster--without their efforts, Lucario probably never would have joined the battle."

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Sakurai in the Miiverse comments of Lucario's reveal: " Lucario joined the battle for the first time in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which was released six years ago. The production staff of Brawl worked really hard to expand the character roster--without their efforts, Lucario probably never would have joined the battle."
So... one of the examples you brought up? Okay. There's no denying that one, but it's still only one instance of Sakurai taking an anniversary into account. Just like Diddy was only one instance of him taking NA/EU dates into account, yet so many jumped on the Yoshi bandwagon.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
So... one of the examples you brought up? Okay. There's no denying that one, but it's still only one instance of Sakurai taking an anniversary into account. Just like Diddy was only one instance of him taking NA/EU dates into account, yet so many jumped on the Yoshi bandwagon.
Either way, it would be a pretty big coincidence if he just happened to reveal these characters on the day of one of their anniversaries. It's obvious that Sakurai has some of these anniversaries in mind. Even if he doesn't explicitly state it, which would be unnecessary. The sole reason he would need to state "This character was revealed because..." is if he is promoting a new game release. The only reason he probably even quoted the anniversary in Lucario's reveal is to send a quick "Thank You" to the Brawl developers.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Either way, it would be a pretty big coincidence if he just happened to reveal these characters on the day of one of their anniversaries. It's obvious that Sakurai has some of these anniversaries in mind. Even if he doesn't explicitly state it, which would be unnecessary. The sole reason he would need to state "This character was revealed because..." is if he is promoting a new game release. The only reason he probably even quoted the anniversary in Lucario's reveal is to send a quick "Thank You" to the Brawl developers.
And yet an anniversary that he did specifically call out (Smash Bros.) came and went without a character...

All I'm saying is that
1.) It's an assumption, and you can't call it anything else, that he reveals people on anniversaries and
2.) Other than Lucario, the dates have never been exact. It's been a "close enough." What about other anniversaries that have come and gone with no reveal?

It's one thing to think that's what's happening; it's quite another to specifically make exceptions to somehow claim that it definitely is what's happening. Lucario remains the only example of a character revealed on the exact date of an anniversary and with a specific mention to the anniversary. There's literally no room to think more of the others. Coincidence or not.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
He's only ever honoured the anniversary of Smash games. And that was only recently too, so I don't know why we always obsess over them. I can't see Sakurai researching the dates of games just for a character reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom