• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mii Swordfighter Social: Guide Hype

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Someone save me. I have to write up all of my articles that come out during Evo ahead of time since I'll be on a bus for 2 days before I get there... And right now I feel ZERO motivation to write. What do I do D:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
he'll be back to Zelda/Wii Fit/Peach soon enough :p
Who said I didn't main Zelda. I still will, but Butterknife will be my secondary.
Someone save me. I have to write up all of my articles that come out during Evo ahead of time since I'll be on a bus for 2 days before I get there... And right now I feel ZERO motivation to write. What do I do D:
You could just ignore the editors and write about a great peach guide I found instead of these long articles.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
You could just ignore the editors and write about a great peach guide I found instead of these long articles.
Pfft, I'm not too worried about Smashboards stuff, it's my new paying job I gotta worry about. High profile names that will be angry if I miss a deadline and highly complex game mechanics for games I've never touched until now to study. It's hard to get motivated.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Pfft, I'm not too worried about Smashboards stuff, it's my new paying job I gotta worry about. High profile names that will be angry if I miss a deadline and highly complex game mechanics for games I've never touched until now to study. It's hard to get motivated.
I won't worry either, once I release my Zelda Customs Guide and my ButterKnife Guide, they'll have to say yes to one of them.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I've never had this problem. ...Admittedly because in my current situation my work status is "if you lose this particular job, you are almost certainly going to die." That is a really good motivator.

EDIT: So, um, uhh... I guess I could try that to motivate you? Something tells me it won't do much for your situation, but hey.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I've never had this problem. ...Admittedly because in my current situation my work status is "if you lose this particular job, you are almost certainly going to die." That is a really good motivator.

EDIT: So, um, uhh... I guess I could try that to motivate you? Something tells me it won't do much for your situation, but hey.
Nah, it WOULD mean I have less fun though which sorta helps. I got a feeling I just need to mess around and not care a bit tonight and come back strong tomorrow.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Mii Skype Group wants to know what is the best Swordfighter Set? I mean Mii Swordfighter doesn't really rely on Specials like the other two classes and we have seen Trela use 1111 set to great use - so it makes it hard to truly say.

I am really liking Gale Strike. Just tossing that gale out throws players off their game. Shuriken of Light is good too because it is fast but GS is more fun.
I personally like Sword Launcher but they did fix Airborne Assault directory and the Active hitbox at the ledge is deadly.
Hero's Spin is a given but Trela use of Stone Scabbard got me thinking of interesting setups.
The DownB special is preference and Matchup dependent imo. All of them has their uses. I need to practice more with Reversal Slash and Power Thrust because they can do cool things.

So... 113X or 123X. What do you guys think?

Has anyone find uses for Blurring Blade (Zarro said that Heavy Mii makes this work), Charkram (funny that I am asking this), and Skyward Sword Dance (especially SSD)?

EDIT: I thought I post this on the Sword fighter Discussion Thread. Meh whatever.

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Guys I'm pretty close to finishing the data thread. It will be done by today.

Edit: It's done.

Last edited:

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Wait what? What happen?
It's a sports thing. Dunno how much sports you watch, but this was all over twitter and whatnot. This ish was confusing.

Pretty much DeAndre Jordan's (the LA clippers starting C, or Center position in basketball) contract was up and was an unrestricted free agent, meaning he could sign back with the Clippers or any other NBA team.

The Dallas Mavericks (another NBA team) pitched a 4 year, $80 million offer to him because they needed a center to replace their current one (Tyson Chandler) that signed with another team (Phoenix Suns) and said he (DeAndre) would be a focal point of Dallas's offense/their star player and all that since he wasn't that with the Clippers and was a big part of their (Clippers) defense. He (DeAndre) verbally agreed to the Mavericks deal, but verbal agreements aren't legally binding in the NBA.

Yesterday, a few of the Clippers players, the head coach, and the owner flew to DeAndre's house in Houston to meet with him about reconsidering signing with Dallas. DeAndre actually reconsiders and leans toward going back to the Clippers, which he eventually does decide to go back to LA. Said members of team stayed at his house until 12:01 AM today, which is the official time free agents can start signing with teams, and he signs a 4 year, $88 million contract with the Clippers.

Tl;dr - Because the Clippers team members got to his house and camped out there until the signing period (almost 8-10 hours) and convinced DeAndre to stay with the team, the Mavericks got screwed over and anyone involved with the Mavericks organization couldn't meet with him to convince him to play for Dallas because the Clippers team effectively blocked them (Mavericks) off completely (even if people in the Mavericks organization found his house, the Clippers were already there and the door was blocked by a chair).

The reason I'm lmao'ing over it is because it's completely random, the entire Dallas Mavericks organization (particularly the owner of the team) and Mavs fans are extremely butthurt over being screwed, and I like watching stuff like this unfold just so I can see the reactions.

Confusing post is confusing.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
It is not confusing at all. It is weird he took the Clippers deal though.

Lol Clippers camping at his house. Are you allow to do that?

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Mii Skype Group wants to know what is the best Swordfighter Set? I mean Mii Swordfighter doesn't really rely on Specials like the other two classes and we have seen Trela use 1111 set to great use - so it makes it hard to truly say.

I am really liking Gale Strike. Just tossing that gale out throws players off their game. Shuriken of Light is good too because it is fast but GS is more fun.
I personally like Sword Launcher but they did fix Airborne Assault directory and the Active hitbox at the ledge is deadly.
Hero's Spin is a given but Trela use of Stone Scabbard got me thinking of interesting setups.
The DownB special is preference and Matchup dependent imo. All of them has their uses. I need to practice more with Reversal Slash and Power Thrust because they can do cool things.

So... 113X or 123X. What do you guys think?

Has anyone find uses for Blurring Blade (Zarro said that Heavy Mii makes this work), Charkram (funny that I am asking this), and Skyward Sword Dance (especially SSD)?

EDIT: I thought I post this on the Sword fighter Discussion Thread. Meh whatever.
i really lik2 213X

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
It is not confusing at all. It is weird he took the Clippers deal though.

Lol Clippers camping at his house. Are you allow to do that?
There's nothing saying you can't do that, and he didn't tell them to leave or anything after the meeting so... Fair game.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
i really lik2 213X
Same here, Although gale strike is growing on me as of late just puts people in an awkward position, when placed correctly, And stone scabbard was my original up b, but if your recovering low you better get your tech finger ready because it not very difficult to gimp, trela has shown me maybe its not as bad as I originally thought., Hero spin recovery and jab setups I think helps his main problems, airborne assault is the hypest move ever I'am never giving that up :chuckle:.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I run 1233 or 1232.

On a different note, I've been looking into this too much:

1) Why does swordfighter have a sash/extra belt?

2) Why is 3ds swordfighter's sword more detailed than Wii U swordfighter's?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I run 1233 or 1232.

1) Because Kingdom Heart Fad. The more belts you have, the edgy you are.
2) 3DS is stronger than Wii U silly.

Okay. Thank you for the sets guys. What about single set though? Between 1111,2222 and 3333... how will you rank them?

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I'm thinking of what I should do next.

Oh and I need data on Swordfighter's kb. Can't find them anywhere.

I run 1233 or 1232.

1) Umm... because... Sakurai likes belts?

2) I've actually noticed this, it's kinda strange how the 3DS sword looks more detailed but in truth it's not.

Edit: Rejoice, the clean up project is complete... for now.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I run 1233 or 1232.

It seems that belt is there to hold a breastplate but its so tiny idk if its any usefull
also the Miis having a belt that says Mii is just awesome

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Been away for a while but want to throw a couple things out there:

@ P Pegasus Knight : Thank you for those letter templates. They're well worded and succinct and present our case well without having to navigate the craziness of that discussion board (I feel like it's us against the world sometimes there bro lol). I'm strongly considering trying it out at Xanadu soon if customs die out completely.

Also, for QR templates I know we've got small and 25/0 (and guest miis for the defaults), can we also get a couple more like wide (0/100), tall (100/0) and large (100/100) for people who want those options? I think the only viable one would be wide but I've really gotten some good results with wide swordfighter and it's not hard to replicate at any station like 25/0 on the 3ds.

@ Unknownkid Unknownkid : 123x has been my go-to as of late thanks to the EVO lists. I still prefer gale strike over shuriken of light mainly because it's been walling a lot of my opponents who aren't used to playing against swordfighter, and I still prefer a side special that doesn't run the risk of me SDing at early percents because I didn't hit the floor in time.

Quick question though: Up special 2 seems to have lost a lot of love since I've been gone. I can adapt to Hero's Spin but I liked the control of the other one, so what's up?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.
Umm... I can try, but I promise you it will not be professional looking.

Edit:

Picture2.png
Thanks for everything.
RIP Satoru Iwata
1959 - 2015

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei forgive me, I'm not a very good artist and i am especially bad with a labtop mousepad + Gimp but i hope this can work as my submission for the Swordfighter Social

Swordfighter Farewell.png

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Been away for a while but want to throw a couple things out there:

@ P Pegasus Knight : Thank you for those letter templates. They're well worded and succinct and present our case well without having to navigate the craziness of that discussion board (I feel like it's us against the world sometimes there bro lol). I'm strongly considering trying it out at Xanadu soon if customs die out completely.

Also, for QR templates I know we've got small and 25/0 (and guest miis for the defaults), can we also get a couple more like wide (0/100), tall (100/0) and large (100/100) for people who want those options? I think the only viable one would be wide but I've really gotten some good results with wide swordfighter and it's not hard to replicate at any station like 25/0 on the 3ds.
QR templates are beyond my 'authority.' I have no connection to the Custom Moves project, and was merely advising TOs that there ARE tools out there to simplify this.

I'm going to do some tests real quick with... well, an Iwata Swordfighter to help me explore how Equipment behaves in Customs Off on a Mii. Obviously it doesn't function on a normal character, but I wonder if Miis override this behavior too. If not, then I will gladly point this out in a revised letter since it's one less thing TOs can be worried about. If it can, I just have to note it's easy to inspect for cheats.

EDIT: Miis ignore Equipment in Customs Off rules. I have tested this in training mode and local Smash. Loaded up a Mii with +180 Attack points and a Ray Gun on Spawn equipment... and Swordfighter was still doing normal damage. No Ray Gun appeared.

That Miis disobey Custom Moves rules but DO obey Equipment restrictions under this setting is another clear indication the Miis are fully meant, on a character design level, to have freedom of move selection.

EDIT 2: I'm going to produce my open letter momentarily. However, out of respect for Iwata's recent passing and acknowledging that the topic of Miis is going to stir up controversy, I request that this letter not be used or republished outside this thread until July 16, 2015. Let us give people a few days for their hearts to calm. Opening this topic, which will almost certainly turn into a fierce debate if the idea gains any traction, is best done when emotions do not run high and people are still hurting from this awful news.

Once July 16 is here, if people want to republish it outside this thread or toss it up on the front page or so on, great. For now, it's just staying here since I'm not 100% sure I'll be online much the next few days and want to get this done while it's still in my mind.

Final edit: Can someone make a post real quick so I'm not double-posting? I want to get this letter in place.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I wasn't planning on bringing it up at Xanadu until after Evo anyway. I don't know the future of customs there but if they're still going to alternate dunnobro was getting a list of movesets to test and my swordfighter build was one of them.

And I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to say about iwata. Whenever someone goes "too soon" like that it reminds me of my dad who passed away at 50 and how we don't know what our last day is, but I don't want to sound cavalier when I say that.

Edit: that being said I did download an iwata mii for sm4sh tonight.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
QR templates are beyond my 'authority.' I have no connection to the Custom Moves project, and was merely advising TOs that there ARE tools out there to simplify this.

I'm going to do some tests real quick with... well, an Iwata Swordfighter to help me explore how Equipment behaves in Customs Off on a Mii. Obviously it doesn't function on a normal character, but I wonder if Miis override this behavior too. If not, then I will gladly point this out in a revised letter since it's one less thing TOs can be worried about. If it can, I just have to note it's easy to inspect for cheats.

EDIT: Miis ignore Equipment in Customs Off rules. I have tested this in training mode and local Smash. Loaded up a Mii with +180 Attack points and a Ray Gun on Spawn equipment... and Swordfighter was still doing normal damage. No Ray Gun appeared.

That Miis disobey Custom Moves rules but DO obey Equipment restrictions under this setting is another clear indication the Miis are fully meant, on a character design level, to have freedom of move selection.

EDIT 2: I'm going to produce my open letter momentarily. However, out of respect for Iwata's recent passing and acknowledging that the topic of Miis is going to stir up controversy, I request that this letter not be used or republished outside this thread until July 16, 2015. Let us give people a few days for their hearts to calm. Opening this topic, which will almost certainly turn into a fierce debate if the idea gains any traction, is best done when emotions do not run high and people are still hurting from this awful news.

Once July 16 is here, if people want to republish it outside this thread or toss it up on the front page or so on, great. For now, it's just staying here since I'm not 100% sure I'll be online much the next few days and want to get this done while it's still in my mind.

Final edit: Can someone make a post real quick so I'm not double-posting? I want to get this letter in place.
tbh this thread has no mod and we all like your plan so feel free to double post

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
An Open Appeal to Tournament Organizers and Online Ladder Hosts, Regarding the Mii Fighters

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I can appreciate that your contributions to the Smash competitive scene keep you busy as it is. I'm writing to you in hopes of starting a discussion on rules for implementing the Miis in your event, as I believe it can be done in a way that satisfies fans of the characters without hurting play balance or dragging down tournament logistics. Please consider the following points.

Special Move Selection: The idea of freely picking a Mii's special attacks is the very core of their character. It is so integral to their design, that they are the only three characters in all of Smash 4 that ignore the Custom Moves Off rules switch in-game. When everyone else, even Palutena who starts with all her Customs unlocked, is stuck on a “1111 movelist”, Miis use whatever specials the player chose at time of creation. Interestingly enough, they keep their chosen special moves even though the Customs Off switch disables any Equipment they might have*. This is no accident, it shows the game developers thought this through and made a specific choice on how Miis behave and they probably felt open move selection was vital to them working properly. Brawler in particular has no coherent game plan if stuck on 1111, and it's obvious he wasn't intended to be played this way. A 1111 Swordfighter focuses on close combat almost to an extreme, which is odd since that's supposed to be Brawler's gimmick.

*: The select screen will incorrectly act like the equipment is active, showing an icon of the character's new stat spread. Nonetheless, their stats aren't changed. It's easily tested using 2 damage increasing equipment and 1 item-granting equipment. You can see for yourself: Load a Mii with them, turn Customs OFF, and start the match. They won't have the item and they do normal damage.

“But that grants them a unique advantage,” one might protest. This overlooks an important point; many characters in Smash 4 have a unique advantage. Rosalina has a puppet (Luma). Mega Man can fire some of his projectiles while moving, a behavior most keenly seen with his 'lemons' (f-tilt, jab, and n-air). Little Mac has armor on his Smashes. As they otherwise have very ordinary and straight-forward combat designs, selecting specials is a Mii's unique advantage.

Balance Concerns: The Miis have not demonstrated any harm to competitive play, even at their most optimal. Gunner to date has made very little impact in tournaments, and Swordfighter likewise outside of a few impressive performances by a tiny handful of top players. These two have not shown themselves to be a problem. Brawler is worth addressing. His optimal form (0 height and 0 weight/width) has kill combos around 70% on some stages, and at one point he had a one-hit KO due to a glitch (the infamous “One-Inch Punch”). It is worth noting the One-Inch Punch glitch has been patched out, and Zero Suit Samus does just as well at scoring early KOs as Brawler does. If people are not fond of Brawler's early KOs, they can use intelligent stage selection to limit his options just as they do with any other character in the game.

Next, I wish to address some concerns you might have. Forgive me for phrasing it in a FAQ style that presumes what you might say, but these topics seem like they're worth covering in advance.

”My event has sponsors. I do not want to lose them because some troll showed up with a Lord Hitlerface Mii.” - The Swordfighter, Brawler, and Gunner forums on Smashboards are not interested in these characters for cheap laughs. Most of us won't do that at your event, and a simple line about acceptable Mii designs in your rules would protect you. You can even include a phrase like “the tournament organizer has absolute discretion in which Miis are allowed.” Anyone who shows up with a distasteful Mii can be dealt with by disqualifying them. The auto-generated Guest Miis solve this as well.

”Miis are a logistical drag, increasing the time the event takes.” - We have many solutions for this. If you run an online ladder, simply communicate to your players that they should have their Mii roster ready before the match begins. They're playing at home on their own system, so they have no excuse to not have a full roster good to go before entering your matchmaking system.

At physical tournaments, there are several choices open to you. If you're willing to allow custom sizes, fans of the three Mii types have QR codes ready to go with the right sized Miis those players have found ideal. They're even based on the menu art of the Mii Fighters, so there are no concerns with copyright/trademark or offensive designs You can get those at the Custom Moveset Project (currently housed at http://smashboards.com/threads/official-custom-moveset-project-summer-2015-edition-evo-sets.395721/ but the thread might move over time), and scan them in to your Wii U with ease. Please note I am NOT affiliated with the Custom Moveset Project, merely pointing you to a useful resource. In any case if you're not willing to do that and wish to stick with default sizes only, the game provides Guest Miis which are that size. We might even be able to produce QR codes of Miis matching the game menu designs but set at default size, if need be.

”I don't want you taking forever to create your Mii at my tournament station.” On a properly prepared station with the Custom Project Miis already scanned in, or the Guest Miis if you want default sizes, we can have the character ready to go within 30 to 75 seconds. That's less time than most 'handwarmers' and coaching sessions take. Lay down a fair time limit to create a Mii on any tournament station, and we won't cause you to run late.

”Will Mii Fighter players accept default sizes?” This requires me to speak for people who haven't truly given me the authority to do so, but I can share with you what the Mii Fighter community consensus seems to be. We'd prefer open size design (or at least “you get one size per class, as taken from the Customs Project”), but I think you'll find many of us are willing to compromise. Let's figure out what works.

Would you, as a host for competitive play, be willing to consider giving us more freedom in Mii design? If you have concerns, would you visit us to have a respectful conversation on them so we can find a fair solution? There are several fans of these characters who are currently left unheard. If you want to talk, we're eager to do so. Please visit the following threads:

Swordfighter: http://smashboards.com/threads/mii-swordfighter-social-a-little-more-bairable.401541/

Brawler: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-mii-fighter-thread-where-you-and-mii-can-talk-mii-fighter-social.324305/
(The Brawler thread used to be the 'all three Miis' thread, so don't mind the odd labeling on the first page.)

Gunner: http://smashboards.com/threads/gunner-style-discussion.357770/

Thank you for considering these thoughts!

- Pegasus Knight

Last edited:

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I just wonder if my "ayy lmao" mii would be allowed assuming this goes through

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
GS3K: Whether TOs even want to allow us to have any freedom in visual design is a discussion worth having with them once they show up here. They might say "QR code Miis matching the menu art for the Mii Fighters or nothing."

They might say "only if you brought your 3DS with you to import it quickly" or "only if you brought a print-out of the QR code of your Mii to scan it in with minimal loss of time" (just hold it up to the Wii U game pad in the Mii Maker app once you tell it to look for QR codes and you're good to go)

Online ladders of course have no excuse; if you want to bring Guybrush Threepwood as your Swordfighter they should allow it so long as your Mii isn't offensive.

I'm not sure what an "ayy lmao" Mii looks like, so I could not comment on that.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
It's just an alien named "ayy lmao", because of that meme

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
So it's... a Sectoid from X-Com that is wearing a steampunk outfit and has a name based on a meme expressing doubt in an entity's sincerity and/or competence in a recent statement they made?

A> That's more inspired than some professional character designers' work

and

B> No, I don't think that reasonably qualifies as offensive. Unless you really hate Sectoids.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
It's in a cowboy outfit now, because cowboys and aliens.

I also have a cow mii in the armored suit named "masterbeef"

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
My only suggestion would be to get rid of some/all of the exclamation points. As you noted, emotions are high enough as it is and frequent use of !s can suggest an appeal to emotion over logic.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Hm, okay. Give me like 5-10 minutes to go through it and do that.

EDIT: Done. Cleaned it up a tad on a few other spots too. Left one or two in at points where emotion is totally okay (thanking them for reading the letter, etc.) but otherwise calmer in tone due to this change. I'm going to let it sit until the 16th and then I'll probably flag down SmashCapps to see if he's willing to republish this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom