• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Middle of the Ohio Tournament II 8/23/08

aquteen

Smash Ace
I'm starting to wonder is 7-8 hours enough time to run 4 tourneys? Last time there were about 20 people and it took about 4 1/2 hours for singles for both games. This one is on a Saturday and will have more hype (I hope) so I'm guessing it will have more attendees. My question is do doubles take longer or shorter on average than singles, and do you think there will be enough time to do them all or will one of the events have to go.

Note: for people who were not at the last one there were about 6-7 setups for each tourney. Technically I only have the place until 8:00 but no one comes to check (last time we went over by an hour and it was fine)

Impp

Smash Ace
Doubles is alot quicker running than singles, because there is less matches to play, and a lot less campy matches. I think it's possible to do them all... You might have to be like a nazi, though. Maybe start the singles tournaments while doubles finals are going on. I dunno.

4% APR

Smash Champion
just don't take any **** from people and and make sure they are playing their matches.

aquteen

Smash Ace
Alright thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure it will be fine now.

It's in the first post but I haven't gotten any responses, does anyone care how much it costs for doubles? If no one has an opinion then I will keep it at $5 a person so it's more feasible to enter all events without emptying your pockets.

Smocane

Smash Cadet
Looks like we got a whole bunch more people coming down for this one! Glad you guys liked the tourney so much to come to another. ;)

I'll be working on smoothing out some little details that will hopefully make this tourney run a bit smoother than the last one. (Not that there were any big problems with it, just little things that annoyed me and probably nobody else.)

aquteen

Smash Ace
Looks like we got a whole bunch more people coming down for this one! Glad you guys liked the tourney so much to come to another. ;)

I'll be working on smoothing out some little details that will hopefully make this tourney run a bit smoother than the last one. (Not that there were any big problems with it, just little things that annoyed me and probably nobody else.)
Well if you say so

4% APR

Smash Champion
I'd say make doubles worth as much as singles, I'm not sure how others would feel about that though

aquteen

Smash Ace
i think its a good idea to have teams cheaper with so many events.
I agree with this for the most part, I just don't want some people not entering because there will not be as much money to win. But overall I think a higher price would scare more people away than a lower price. eh... I'll just wait till more people post there opinions.

nojoes

Smash Ace
i vote for at least $10 per person on the brawl doubles, i won't be playing melee so i don't care.

Drephen

Smash Master
every event $5?

so $20 for everything?

so that way people can enter everything and have more fun and it will cost the same as last time

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I agree with this for the most part, I just don't want some people not entering because there will not be as much money to win. But overall I think a higher price would scare more people away than a lower price. eh... I'll just wait till more people post there opinions.
The only people who would be scared off by a lower price are the people who will win/have a good shot at winning. People who know that they will lose want a lower price... Which do you think is the majority? But at the same time, what is the point of a tournament where the best players don't show up? Quite the dilemma. I'd say lower, but I'm not able to come so my vote matters not....

soap

Smash Hero
The only people who would be scared off by a lower price are the people who will win/have a good shot at winning. People who know that they will lose want a lower price... Which do you think is the majority? But at the same time, what is the point of a tournament where the best players don't show up? Quite the dilemma. I'd say lower, but I'm not able to come so my vote matters not....
its the same price as last time, good people can still win the same amount of money they just have to "work" harder for it, aka "having fun" for everybody else. smash isnt a part time job jeez.

and i might even enter some brawl for only 5 bucks, if brawl is ten im only playing melle

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Is anyone near Blanchester? I need a ride >.<

Big_R

Smash Champion
didnt drew win melee and get second in in brawl last time?

hmm

Big_R

Smash Champion
its gonna be hard enough to run 4 tournys anyways. if these are gonna happen more often like or triweekly style then id go with lower for more consistant local attendance. if you want a lot of ppl then of course u will wanna raise the price so the payouts are better to attract ppl with more travel costs which may then attract other more ppl. it depends on what kinda tourny u want.

idk with a 4 event thing in one day i wouldnt try to attract a crazy amount of attention cuz it would become impossible. i heard brawl singles took ages at FAST1 so ya...

aquteen

Smash Ace
I never thought about lowering the price of all of them to $5, but now that it is mentioned that sounds like a good idea. I really am going to try and have these going at least once a month (hopefully more often) and I think a lot of people would not want to shell out $45 + gas money every every couple of weeks on something they don't think they have a good chance of winning. As stated earlier in the thread with 4 events and not a whole lot of time I don't really want to attract a ton of people to this one. Now I'm not saying that I'm opposed to holding a huge tourney with a **** load of people just not this one.

Edit: I'm not saying this is whats going to happen I'm just saying I like the idea and am thinking about it.

soap

Smash Hero
do it do it do it, chu charges 5$ an event at his **** for the past 7 years. im tired of spending money at these things

nojoes

Smash Ace
I do play for fun but in order to keep traveling and keep playing with people other than the 2 people that play around me I need to win some money so I can at least cover gas.

and to the second comment despite brawl being not quite as good as game as melee (understatement) it's still a good game in it's own right and it still requires skill to play, if you'd like to argue that I'd be glad to debate.

Drephen

Smash Master
I do play for fun but in order to keep traveling and keep playing with people other than the 2 people that play around me I need to win some money so I can at least cover gas.

and to the second comment despite brawl being not quite as good as game as melee (understatement) it's still a good game in it's own right and it still requires skill to play, if you'd like to argue that I'd be glad to debate.
lol $5 a person with as many many people that showed up last time is pleeeeeenttttyyyy

think like 30 people showed up last time and thats 90 for first so you'll make a little profit if you get 1st in singles and plus whateves in doubles

2nd part i was kidding about, i think everyone needs to cut down of the brawl bashing a little

aquteen

Smash Ace
I'm defiantly leaning towards $5 so more people can compete in more events (sorry nojoes) as I said before I would not be opposed to hosting a big brawl or melee tourney maybe even over the course of two days, but for bi-weeklies/monthlies I think it is best to keep the cost down.

Big_R

Smash Champion
this'll cost me only a little now so thats noice. that is if this changes and goes lower.

aquteen

Smash Ace
Well I updated the OP and it's now $5 for all events. @nojoes I hope you can still find it worth while to come down, who else is going to stop drephen from winning all four events =)

Drephen

Smash Master
Well I updated the OP and it's now $5 for all events. @nojoes I hope you can still find it worth while to come down, who else is going to stop drephen from winning all four events =)
prolly a lot of people actually lol

soap

Smash Hero
the ganondorf only comes out in tourney, he is in hibernation the rest of the year.

pound 3... ganon wakes up after a long slumber from pound 2....***** wobbles and cort in crews...

Top Bottom