• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Middle of the Ohio Tournament II 8/23/08

jokey665

Smash Ace
I came in 4th for Brawl Singles for those who are interested in knowing who's awesome but not exactly awesome enough to place.

soap

Smash Hero
yu prolly need to get rid of the drephen combo video now too... its just not funny

btw bigR, twas a tough call between pinaplle xpress and tropic thunder, but i got jOhned on with movie times so we saw tropic thunder which was hilaaaaaaarous, ill see how pinaplle stacks up tomrow

GSangster

Smash Rookie
Man, I need to stop playing with new characters TWO days before the tournament! Sheik is a fun character but I barely killed anyone. I was lucky to get 9th.Oh well, I had fun.

Big_R

Smash Champion
soap i think i liekd pineapple express better but idk i will def see both again they were good

p.s my falcon did work and its much better than watty's secondaries
mini scar comboes in the house

p.p.s to be a better member of cok i must slow ppl down i have learned. that is the cok tradition

its so hard tho i wana go fast!

aquteen

Smash Ace
Sorry for not posting earlier but I was doing stuff (sleeping) I'll have full results up in a bit.

No vids for this one, I forgot to bring the power cord for my capture card......

I thought besides the heat that this went pretty good.

Thanks to everyone who showed up/ helped clean up/brought setups.

SORRY to everyone who really wanted to do brawl doubles, just not enough time.

4% - I really thought you were gonna win after you destroyed drephen in the first 2 matches, but oh well maybe next time.

I'm gonna go book the next one tomorrow so expect details on the next one then.

but for now I want peoples opinions on what should be at the next one (only 2 events). what ever is not at the next one will be at the one after that. Example: "I hate melee it's old and not that much fun" that's fine the next one can be brawl only but the one after that will be melee only.

or you can just pick a letter

A) Melee singles & Melee doubles
B) Melee singles & Brawl singles
C) Melee singles & Brawl doubles
D) Brawl singles & Brawl doubles
E) Brawl singles & Melee doubles
F) Melee doubles & brawl doubles

Edit: I never wanna have to play Drephens shiek again

Lethal Beauty

Smash Apprentice
I lost my controller. :/ The last place I saw it was at the tournament, when I let Ryzen borrow it. It's nowhere to be found. Did any of you see a black and blue controller? I'm so sadsauced you don't even know. That's my baby. :'( Look, it's in my sig.

aquteen

Smash Ace
Here are the full results thanks to Princess Aura.

Melee Doubles

1: Let's do drugs GO!! I ain't never scared (Drephen+Watty)
2: Top Gun (4% APR+Big_R)
3: Spiked Shell (Hodge+X)
4: Greg + James (Greg+James)
5: Extra Big *** Taco (aquteen+BDC)
5: Umberhulk (Dna_Instant+Wildwrist)
7: Immortals of Invincibility (?)
7: Team Coolness (?)

Help me out here guys.

Melee Singles

1: D-rephen
2: 4% APR
3: Big_R
4: X :)
5: Impp
5: Oro+Wes+Azen+HugS+Mike Nasty=Watty
7: Greg
7: bo-d
9: hood
9: keath
9: jkap
9: Aquteen
13: ****
13: Dobs
13: Mr. J
13: jamv
17: Hodge
17: BDC
17: michael
17: dippn dotz
17: Jesepi
17: Rance
25: T-800

Brawl Singles

1: NoJoes
2: 4% APR
3: Drephen
4: jokey
5: Machine Gun Norm
5: 1der
7: Zim
7: John
9: T-800
9: frame rate
9: pops
9: Omni
13: Dna Instant
13: Princess Aura
13: X :)
13: Ben P
17: Wildwrist
17: Impp
17: ger
17: Oro+Wes+Azen+HugS+Mike Nasty=Watty
17: ****
17: BDC
17: Brandon Wo
17: thekiest
25: Dobs
25: Mr. J
25: Giago
25: Hodge
25: ***
25: Amac
25: Justin P.

Congrats to everyone and especially to Drephen and 4% who placed top 3 in all events.

Smocane

Smash Cadet
I lost my controller. :/ The last place I saw it was at the tournament, when I let Ryzen borrow it. It's nowhere to be found. Did any of you see a black and blue controller? I'm so sadsauced you don't even know. That's my baby. :'( Look, it's in my sig.
Wow, really? :( That was one of the coolest controllers I had ever seen... We didn't find it while we were cleaning up :urg:

4% APR

Smash Champion
Team spiked shell was x and hodge. I would prefer both events to be melee next time, but that would definitely reduce attendance. I want melee doubles more than anything else. if it's just brawl I doubt I'll come :(

Smocane

Smash Cadet
Well, my thoughts on the issue are so:

Melee is obviously liked more than brawl by most of the people who are posting here. However, we still get a lot of people who stumble upon this thread and see Brawl, and think "oh yeahs, gotta go to this tourney and play some brawls son". But, they never post anything. So, naturally this thread is gonna show more interest towards melee because of Big_R and Drephen coming in and saying "OH YEAH MELEE WOO" every other post.

Anyways, point is melee shows more enthusiasm in this thread, but brawl continues to have more entrants. Most of the melee people are entering brawl too, but there are more brawl only's (about 9-10) than melee only's (Big_R, lol). I'm not saying Big_R isn't more important than 10 other people, but that's 10 people who probably won't be interested in a melee only tourney. (Less people = less often, etc.)

4%- Melee doubles would be cool to keep having, but there were only 16 people (8 teams) that entered, vs. the 23 people for melee singles and 31 for brawl singles. I'm pretty sure brawl doubles also would have had more than 8 teams too.

aquteen

Smash Ace
Well, my thoughts on the issue are so:

Melee is obviously liked more than brawl by most of the people who are posting here. However, we still get a lot of people who stumble upon this thread and see Brawl, and think "oh yeahs, gotta go to this tourney and play some brawls son". But, they never post anything. So, naturally this thread is gonna show more interest towards melee because of Big_R and Drephen coming in and saying "OH YEAH MELEE WOO" every other post.

Anyways, point is melee shows more enthusiasm in this thread, but brawl continues to have more entrants. Most of the melee people are entering brawl too, but there are more brawl only's (about 9-10) than melee only's (Big_R, lol). I'm not saying Big_R isn't more important than 10 other people, but that's 10 people who probably won't be interested in a melee only tourney. (Less people = less often, etc.)

4%- Melee doubles would be cool to keep having, but there were only 16 people (8 teams) that entered, vs. the 23 people for melee singles and 31 for brawl singles. I'm pretty sure brawl doubles also would have had more than 8 teams too.
Ya Big_R > 10 brawl scrubs jk I like brawl just fine

but ya smocane speaks the truth I think it would be pretty cool to do something like brawl and melee doubles at the next one then brawl and melee singles at the one after that.

Of course theirs nothing wrong with having brawl and melee separate it's just I think that would hurt melee attendance even more.

I realize people posting in this thread will be more biased to melee but even so if the next one is only melee then the one after that is only brawl and who wants to wait that long to play melee again?

DrewB008

Smash Lord
i vote next one melee only, cause then the brawl one that would come after it would be around the same weekend as another melee tourney that people are thinking about going to anyway.

me and juke will come if its melee, probably not if its just brawl

4% APR

Smash Champion
I'm fully aware that melee doubles always gets less entrants, I just like it more

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
OH YEAH MELEE WOO!!!

I don't go to any Brawl only tourneys anymore... However, because of school taking up monday-friday, Cross Country taking up every saturday, and Church taking up every sunday, I'm not going to any tourneys in the near future... :( Man, I need to host my own if only I could find a venue...

soap

Smash Hero
wtf dippindots step yo game up... and who johned on watty's parade?

melee singles/ brawl singles seems to be the winning combo for highest attendance... although id prefer all melee.

bigr i am in columbus on tuesday and we are playing after i move all my ****

Impp

Smash Ace
I think Brawl got better attendance, because people showed up for melee and stayed for Brawl. If it was Brawl only it'd probably be like the same attendance as melee, if not less. I don't think I'd come for a Brawl only tournament, just too far a drive.

Awesome tourney, btw.

What was the name of that Link player. He was too good.
I'm gonna play Brawl more. It sucked getting pwned so bad... People got really good at Brawl.

nojoes

Smash Ace
surprisingly it is possible to get good at brawl =P

good games and everything to everyone i played with. i was so bummed there were no brawl doubles T_T

Smocane

Smash Cadet
basically, i think its best to always have one melee and one brawl event, then just decide whether we do singles or teams

Edit: missed this page lol

Yeah, sorry about the brawl doubles...just didnt want to be there until midnight lol.

The young link player went by the name of hood...don't know who he is though.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'd vote Melee singles and Brawl doubles. I think doubles are more fun in Brawl than they are in Melee... and I think Brawl doubles are more fun than Brawl singles. But I think Brawl singles are more fun than Melee doubles.

My teammates always kill me in Melee doubles, so I've never been too big of a fan. Since nobody ever dies in Brawl, it's not such a problem.

Rule of thumb, though: Melee singles should ALWAYS be there.

XDoesUpB

Smash Apprentice
Melee singles and doubles, then melee adventure mode speed runs, then basketball, then mario tennis, then rock paper scissors, then tic tac toe, then counting things, THEN brawl doubles plus maybe singles.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I vote keep melee and brawl separate. I don't play melee and it's not really worth the drive for just one brawl event. I was pretty upset about no brawl doubles at this one.

aquteen

Smash Ace
Melee singles and doubles, then melee adventure mode speed runs, then basketball, then mario tennis, then rock paper scissors, then tic tac toe, then counting things, THEN brawl doubles plus maybe singles.
I like where this is going

i vote next one melee only, cause then the brawl one that would come after it would be around the same weekend as another melee tourney that people are thinking about going to anyway.

me and juke will come if its melee, probably not if its just brawl
If your talking about darkrains tourney I'm gonna try and go to that if I can get a ride, so there night not be one that week

I'm fully aware that melee doubles always gets less entrants, I just like it more
Ya that was really stupid that there were only 8 teams. I knew it was going to get the least attendance of all the events I just expected more than 8. your a beast in teams I see why you like it so much lol

and who johned on watty's parade?

melee singles/ brawl singles seems to be the winning combo for highest attendance... although id prefer all melee.
If your talking about melee singles he got knocked out by immp in the winners then had to fight drephen in the loosers bracket and forfeited. In brawl after he beat princess aura he quit because he had to leave.

So most people here want melee only for the next one and jokey said he wanted melee and brawl to be seprate, I think It would be cool to do one of each but majorty wins I guess.

If anyone else has an opinion on the matter post it here soon. I'll check back on this thread tomorrow around 2 maybe and if no one else has said anything I'll post the thread for the next one

Big_R

Smash Champion
ya i think im better than 10 brawl scrubs on a given day lol

so uhh ya just go melee only and brawl only triweeklies or something. if melee only fails u and u need attendance to cover costs then pry just go with brawl only all the time. melee is dying even tho i dont want it to

soap i gotta work broski we could do it afterewards tho i guess...

aquteen

Smash Ace
ya i think im better than 10 brawl scrubs on a given day lol

so uhh ya just go melee only and brawl only triweeklies or something. if melee only fails u and u need attendance to cover costs then pry just go with brawl only all the time. melee is dying even tho i dont want it to

soap i gotta work broski we could do it afterewards tho i guess...
naw man were fine cost wise and plus theres no way i'd take out melee and just do brawl. It saddens me that you would even sugest that

Dobs

Smash Journeyman
I vote melee singles/melee doubles, but just because I prefer melee to brawl. I have no idea how to get the most attendance.

Gg's to everyone I played. I hadn't been to a melee tournament for awhile, it was awesome getting to play so many people. Hopefully next time I'll have a partner for doubles.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Can anyone tell me what the characters were for the Brawl top eight?

1 Nojoes :snake:
2 4% APR
3 Drephen :marth:
4 jokey
5 Machine Gun Norm :rob:
5 1der :mario2:
7 Zim
7 John

Smocane

Smash Cadet
Can anyone tell me what the characters were for the Brawl top eight?

1 Nojoes :snake: (also some MK and ROB in here)
2 4% APR :dedede:
3 Drephen :marth: (and luigi for 2 matches)
4 jokey :rob:
5 Machine Gun Norm :rob:
5 1der :mario2:
7 Zim (counterpick strategy..used g&w, MK, Snake and Rob)
7 John :falco:
I think that's all I know...not sure who Jokey played, sorry.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
jokey played as R.O.B. against me, though i also saw him use metaknight

i also used ike though i didn't do to well with him when i used him against nojoes... i defiantly should have used r.o.b. the last round i faced him. :dizzy:

and 4% apr used dedede i'm pretty sure.

aquteen

Smash Ace
I saw nojoes using using MK in all the matches I watched but I didn't watch all his matches so idk who he was playing as the rest of the time. He does main snake though so putting that down would be a safe bet.

4% used d3

you should put drephen down as luigi not marth because he would not have made it anywhere in the brawl brackets without him.

jokey played as rob

and zim just counterpicked every character, I think the only ones he used were G&W, MK, Snake,Rob, and Marth, but he played as G&W the most.

most of this has been said I'm just putting it into one post

DippnDots

Feral Youth
wtf dippindots step yo game up... and who johned on watty's parade?

bigr i am in columbus on tuesday and we are playing after i move all my ****

No johns, I sucked hardcore. I feel like I redeemed myself later though.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I agree that Melee and Brawl should be separate. If you mention the Brawl tourney early enough, people will decide to show up randomly at the last minute just for Brawl (well... that happened to us anyway).

Thanks for running a great tournament. Next time I might bring my AC though if it gets too ridiculously hot. Maybe I'll win some matches next time too.

Our group did get some videos, I'll post those (or T800 will) when they get up.
It'll mostly have OUGA matches though and none form the finals since the batteries died before Jokey's last match.

Peace

soap

Smash Hero
fux separate tournies, i dont wanna wait forever in between melee tournies, and clearly there are tons of people that will play brawl but need melee to get em there in the first place.

whens the next one that im definitely making it for? somebodies gota take this drephen cat out.... this is lookin like the ol cleveland weeklies with vidjo every week, come on young bloods step yo game up

Top Bottom