• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megaman, Pac-Man, and Sonic = THE perfect 3rd party trifecta (PAC-MAN CONFIRMED THE DREAM IS REAL!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with all the hate for Snake? He was designer better than some of the Nintendo characters in the game, not to mention his character was very true to his character in the Metal Gear Solid series. I pray for his return because he just fits in so well and peaked the interest of players who didn't even play smash bros.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
They're Nintendo characters. And this is a game about Nintendo's all-stars and Nintendo's history. They don't need to be icons of all gaming. You shouldn't be comparing Sonic to any Nintendo characters really, because the standards for 3rd party and Nintendo characters are not the same. Sonic is way more famous and influential than G&W and Falco, but obviously they make the cut long before Sonic.

That's the thing the people don't seem to get. Sonic is famous, yes. But is he Nintendo?

The question you shouldn't be asking is whether Sonic is a gaming icon. Because he clearly is. The question you should be asking is "does he belong in a crossover all about Nintendo?"

Given that he's not owned by Nintendo, are his history and associations and interaction with Nintendo important enough to make him plausible as a Nintendo all-star?
As pointed out on the previous page... You think you're clever by repeating my words back to me as if the answers for Sonic are the same as they are for Pac-Man.

Except they're not.

Sonic has a long history with Nintendo, even if for most of that time it was a rivalry. But Pac-Man's relationship to Nintendo is one of indifference. Mostly cross-platform games that sold significantly better on the other platforms. At least a rivalry is a relationship in the first place. But since Brawl came out, Sonic has become even more worthy, appearing in multiple, high-selling Mario & Sonic games, having multiple Nintendo exclusives, being part of a new exclusive deal for the Wii U and selling more games on the Wii than Pac-Man's console games have sold on all platforms combined.

You might as well be a supporter of Rayman and Altair and other cross-platform characters. Because hey, they're famous, and they were on a Nintendo console before, so that makes them just as worthy as Mega Man and Sonic :rolleyes: I mean, Rayman is Ubisoft's mascot! How epic would that be?! Nintendo, Sega, Capcom and Ubisoft's mascots, duking it out!

So yes, I think a bitter rivalry turned into a highly productive partnership IS more worthy of being included with Nintendo's all-stars.
What's up with all the hate for Snake? He was designer better than some of the Nintendo characters in the game, not to mention his character was very true to his character in the Metal Gear Solid series. I pray for his return because he just fits in so well and peaked the interest of players who didn't even play smash bros.
Eh, I don't hate Snake.

I just think he doesn't belong. That doesn't mean he's not a fun inclusion, but Sakurai could probably make all sorts of random characters into fun inclusions. I just would've rather had another Nintendo character or a more fitting Konami representative like Simon Belmont.

And I'm sure I could enjoy Pac-Man too. It's just that we know that there are limitations, and there are many more worthy inclusions, in my opinion. If Sakurai asked me "Should I put in Pac-Man? I'm going to either add Pac-Man or add 20 more trophies to the game" I would choose Pac-Man without hesitation. But if it was Pac-Man vs. another Nintendo rep, you have to go pretty low on the chain or get a bit redundant before I'd pick Pac-Man (a fourth sword-wielding Fire Emblem lord vs. Pac-Man? I'll pick Pac-Man).

Eh, I don't hate Snake.I just think he doesn't belong. That doesn't mean he's not a fun inclusion, but Sakurai could probably make all sorts of random characters into fun inclusions. I just would've rather had another Nintendo character or a more fitting Konami representative like Simon Belmont.
But...how does Snake NOT belong? He's already a character in Smash Bros. lol

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
...I'm saying I don't think Snake belonged in Brawl in the first place. Obviously Sakurai disagreed (although I highly, highly doubt he would've even been considered if Hideo Kojima hadn't asked for it), so I'm not arguing that any of this means that Pac-Man won't be in, just that *I* wouldn't put him in.

Also, just to seem like less of a hater, I will say this: if Namco does get a character in Smash 4, I think it should be Pac-Man and not one of Namco's other characters. Pac-Man is far and away the most iconic character they have. Anyone else would result in a lot of head scratching from the masses ("Who?"). It seems likely that Namco will get a rep, and Pac-Man is a much better choice than a Tekken character IMO. A Tales character would be better than Tekken, but still... hard to beat Pac-Man.

And I have softened in my dislike for the idea as far as his move set. I still don't think that Snake or Pac-Man belong as far as Nintendo-worthiness, but I don't think that's going to matter. Sakurai seems likely to put Pac-Man in if Namco asks nicely.

Sorry dude but I disagree. Pacman is boring. His only value is from his arcade games, other than that he's just a character they thrown into some games that aren't even memorable. It's like the other people in this thread said, he's only relying on his iconic status, and this isn't about gaming icons, but Nintendo icons, so it really doesn't matter if someone wants to fulfill some fantasy. And to be completely honest, I would rather have a Tekken character, at the very least they would exhibit some personality. I could due without a Tales character, it's just some die hard anime crap anyway. Then again I really don't care that much for having third parties besides Snake so maybe i'm a bit biased.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Sorry dude but I disagree. Pacman is boring. His only value is from his arcade games, other than that he's just a character they thrown into some games that aren't even memorable. It's like the other people in this thread said, he's only relying on his iconic status, and this isn't about gaming icons, but Nintendo icons,
I know, I'm one of the ones who said that.
And to be completely honest, I would rather have a Tekken character, at the very least they would exhibit some personality.
Eh, to me, Tekken doesn't fit the feel of Nintendo as well. Just my opinion though.
Then again I really don't care that much for having third parties besides Snake so maybe i'm a bit biased.
You just said how you agree that this is about Nintendo icons. Snake is not a Nintendo icon. He's a Playstation icon / multi-platform.

I mean, if you just don't like Pac-Man and you like Snake, that's fine. But don't bother making an argument about who is a Nintendo icon vs. a gaming icon if you want Snake to be in.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Pac-man would have almost no Move-set. That'd be really hard to make one for him.
Give me a full move-set.
Are... are you for real? Are you honestly saying these things or am I hallucinating? Okay, I'll humour you I guess - I'm not going to make a full moveset because honestly, that would require me to spend time that would quite frankly be wasted on you, but I will list off some of the potential moves Pac-Man could have:

Biting moves (such as Wario's standard B), swallowing moves (Yoshi), inhaling moves (Kirby/Dedede), the Pac-Roll/Rev-Roll, the ability to 'boost' in a sense whilst in ball form, the Butt Bounce, the super-Butt Bounce, the triple-Butt Bounce, the pellet chain (think the light dash from Sonic); Pac has had rollerskates, a tether rope, a slingshot that fires pellets, the ability to fire pellets from his hands, the ability to charge up pellets he fires from his hands, stage-shaking bombs (Pac-Man Championship), the ability to shoot electricity (given the correct power-up) and a mid-air flip-kick type move. He's got the Power Pellets which allow him to pretty much annihilate opponents for a set-time, he's rode in Mokujins and go-Karts, he's had the ability to slow his aerial descent by 'running in mid-air' like a cartoon character, and in 'The New Adventures' he quite literally had a super-hero form. Aside from all that, if you liked, you could take inspiration from the actual gameplay mechanics of his adventures (for example, he can run and 'bite' at the same time - it could be the first ever combo-able dash attack that doesn't have high lag or slow the user down), you could take inspiration from other old Namco arcade games, there were plenty of Namco-themed items exclusive to Pac-Man in Mario Kart Arcade GP, and he's got so much content which could be used for his taunts and victory poses that frankly I wouldn't even know where to start.

So yeah, mix and match whichever parts of the above that you like with some generic physical moves (punches, kicks, bites, aerials and what-have-you). If you still can't come up with a moveset for Pac-Man, you're either severely stunted in the creativity department or you can't come up with one because you quite simply don't want to come up with one, since you don't like the character - in which case you should've just said so in the beginning.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
How about you go visit the Pac-Man thread, plenty of movesets there.

UPB, Neutral B, side B, and down B is most certainly not a full moveset.
I love how you only looked at the first post. I said to LOOK through it. Not all the movesets were on the first page.

Don't just look for excuses because you don't want a character in the game.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I take back what I said earlier about not making threads on this board anymore.

Aside from a few posters this thread has spawned some really good 3rd party discussion.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Pac Man World Rally (pretty epic... check out this moveset):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJVBPWfB7Kw

he's also been in a phone racing game, apparently, and in the arcade version of mario kart (which I have played, and it's amazing)

Mega Man Battle & Chase (trash game, but Rush carrrrrrr)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdS8Uf_DDQo

Then Mario & Sonic's kart games are obvious. Now all we need are Diddy Kong and Crash Bandicoot confirmed, and we really have the main character > Kart racing game collection.

Also, megaman soccer is amazing, and I highly recommend to anybody who likes that kind of lol wtf game.

Unfortunately, Wikipedia seems to indicate that Pac-man doesn't have any sports spinoff, so that's unfortunate.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see Pac-Man, as long as he doesn't turn out like Sanic from Brawl, bland, and a bad character.
Also, Ice Climbers should be in the list of characters without much source material. Seriously, Kid Icarus gets a new game, Ice Climber gets... What? I really hope for a new IC's game soon.

..You've got to be kidding me. I'm done arguing with you. You're too stupid to argue with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pac-Man_video_games
Get out of this thread. You aren't being productive, you're just gainsaying.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
You guys.... I'm going to laugh SO hard at these forums if Pacman gets in. It would be the last nail in the coffin that buries any notion that anyone here has any idea what they're talking about.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I do not understand why all of you want Pac-Man in. Wanting Pac-Man to be a fighter in Smash Bros. is like requesting the paddle from Pong, or those Tetris shapes.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Only to see Pac-Man get the wakka beat out of him, assuming he gets in and Sonic comes back.

Yeah. Mega Man sucked in Brawl.
Seriously what was with his only move being to say, "**** you, I don't exist?" I think it was supposed to be some kind of metajoke or something.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I do not understand why all of you want Pac-Man in. Wanting Pac-Man to be a fighter in Smash Bros. is like requesting the paddle from Pong, or those Tetris shapes.
Well I'm glad somebody hasn't forgotten. L Block got jipped out of being in Brawl, but it won't happen again. L Block for SSB4!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Yeah. I forgot! Silly me! Simon is just like Mario/Megaman! He is literally an icon that everyone knows regardless of ever playing his games! How could he not be part of the 3rd party trifecta?! What an injustice! /sarcasm.
Yeah I remember my grandma threatening to whip me like Simon Belmont, if I didn't settle down. I never understand that, as Simon used a whip and never got whipped, but even still I didn't want to find out what she meant.

...I had a strange childhood.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
From what I've seen, a lot of people want to SEE Pacman in SSB4, the question is, how many people want him for "iconic" purposes, and how many actually want to play as him?

I have no problem with Pac Man, heck I think his new game looks like a lot of fun. And I do "passively" want Pacman in the game. Wouldn't play as him too much, but would be a missed opportunity not having an iconic figure such as him trading blows with Mega Man, Mario and Sonic if he returns.

I also want Simon Belmont of course. Don't hate me for not liking Snake, but I'd rather have Simon in SSB over Snake, as Castlevania has seen a LOT more games on Nintendo, and its music is freaking awesome!
But I'm sure Snake will stay, as Japan adores him (3 years ago, he was Japan's most popular videogame character, Mario was second).

But enough of my rambles! Mega Man made it in, I couldn't be happier with 3rd party choices! (Unless Sonic comes back, of course). So I don't mind what comes after him.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Captain Falcon is the only one I can't say anything about because I don't know much about him, and Villager. The other ones can have move-sets made. WFT has tons of WF games to take abilities from, also. She's a Fitness Trainer. That specializes in Yoga, she can use yoga poses to attack. Same goes for G&W. He has, tons of things he can choose from. Same applies for ROB. Maybe you should research your characters backgrounds before you say anything. Doesn't seem like you know much.
If I may step in,
That is the very reason why people think it's silly why people think Pac-man can't have a moveset.

Do you know just how many games any move could come from?
He's even been in a fighting game already!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
If I may step in,
That is the very reason why people think it's silly why people think Pac-man can't have a moveset.

Do you know just how many games any move could come from?
He's even been in a fighting game already!
Anyone can have a moveset. The question is, would it be fun, usable, interesting, and indicative of the character all at the same time. With a fair number of characters I suspect that last one may clash with the other three. Is this true of Pacman? I don't know. I don't really know much of anything about what he has become. He doesn't sound particularly interesting to me, but that doesn't mean Sakurai couldn't make him so.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Anyone can have a moveset. The question is, would it be fun, usable, interesting, and indicative of the character all at the same time. With a fair number of characters I suspect that last one may clash with the other three. Is this true of Pacman? I don't know. I don't really know much of anything about what he has become. He doesn't sound particularly interesting to me, but that doesn't mean Sakurai couldn't make him so.
Yeah, but the issue was whether or not a moveset could be made.

I'm not fond of the idea of pacman being in either. But from what I could tell, a moveset for him is no issue at all.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Yeah, but the issue was whether or not a moveset could be made.

I'm not fond of the idea of pacman being in either. But from what I could tell, a moveset for him is no issue at all.
You want me to actually read things in context?! That goes completely against my modus operandi of taking everything out of context!
Alternatively I suppose I could have just read the comment you were replying to, since you quoted it.

Also, I like to assume people wouldn't say something as stupid as [character] can not have a moveset. I have to assume they mean that said character wouldn't have a good moveset for one of the reasons I stated above. Assuming otherwise would cause my brain to explode. It's so freaking ridiculously established at this point that he can give anyone a moveset I don't really know how to process an idea so stupid.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
for one pacman has limbs and can fight unlike pong and tetris so the comparison is bad

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Pac-man isn't an inanimate object like the other two.
Pac-man can actually fight unlike the other two.
Pac-man definitely has more sources to get moves from than Captain Falcon, at least.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like Pac-man. He creeps me out.

Wiipodicus

Smash Rookie
Some basic ideas for Pac-Man.

1. His ball body can be used to some way since it seems to have the properties of a super ball. (Based off the Butt Bounce move from the Pac-Man world games)

2. He has two potential recovery moves. (Red pellet from the World trilogy and the grappling hook from Pac-In-Time)

3. The power ups from the new game coming soon for the Wii U and 3DS. (Ghostly Adventures)

4. The basic Pac-man World moveset. (Bite, Rev Roll, Butt Bounce, red pellet, and Power Pellet)

5. Machine gun pellet spit from Pac-In-Time would be hilarious.

It's not really hard to see how he could potentially be really unique.

Would it make sense for him to be able to "crawl" as well?

Wiipodicus

Smash Rookie
Some basic ideas for Pac-Man.

1. His ball body can be used to some way since it seems to have the properties of a super ball. (Based off the Butt Bounce move from the Pac-Man world games)

2. He has two potential recovery moves. (Red pellet from the World trilogy and the grappling hook from Pac-In-Time)

3. The power ups from the new game coming soon for the Wii U and 3DS. (Ghostly Adventures)

4. The basic Pac-man World moveset. (Bite, Rev Roll, Butt Bounce, red pellet, and Power Pellet)

5. Machine gun pellet spit from Pac-In-Time would be hilarious.

It's not really hard to see how he could potentially be really unique.

Would it make sense for him to be able to "crawl" as well? :joyful:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Pac-man isn't an inanimate object like the other two.
Pac-man can actually fight unlike the other two.
Pac-man definitely has more sources to get moves from than Captain Falcon, at least.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like Pac-man. He creeps me out.
If we don't make wild assumptions about this game, based off logic that doesn't make sense, how else are we supposed to be really disappointed when it comes out?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If we don't make wild assumptions about this game, based off logic that doesn't make sense, how else are we supposed to be really disappointed when it comes out?
The only argument people need against Pac-man is that he kicks people's respective asses with a perpetual grin on his face.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
he's also been in a phone racing game, apparently, and in the arcade version of mario kart (which I have played, and it's amazing)
What's the advantage of the arcade Mario Kart?

I saw some YouTube videos of it, and it seemed that the courses were pretty boring compared to the console games. The items also looked not as interesting.

But it did look a bit more "fair" in that there was less luck and so more about just driving and basic item use. But that's not really why I play Mario Kart...

Is the Sonic racing game on the Wii U worth getting while I wait for Mario Kart 8?

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
:smash:..Thos who are arguing that Pac-Man does not fit in are invalid and didin't quite get the gist of the OP.

And keep saying he does not have moves make you even more invalid.

Pac-Man has a longer history with Nintendo, than sonic Erimir:laugh:.And also Pac-man has been in 3 Mario Kart arcade games and mario even appeared as the game announcer in Pac-Man VS.

Megman Pac-Man Mario Sonic have all (defined) not just a generation of gaming, but gaming itself.

lloyd irving some guy from castlevania have not in my eyes (defined) gaming!!!.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
What's the advantage of the arcade Mario Kart?

I saw some YouTube videos of it, and it seemed that the courses were pretty boring compared to the console games. The items also looked not as interesting.

But it did look a bit more "fair" in that there was less luck and so more about just driving and basic item use. But that's not really why I play Mario Kart...
Unfortunately, I only got a chance to play it one day in the arcade... the next time I went, it was gone. : /

But what I remember is using the wheel and pedals for Mario Kart is fantastic, and the graphics + speed were pretty great. My item button was broken, so I didn't really get to use them, but the game was just really fun to play, for me at least.

Is the Sonic racing game on the Wii U worth getting while I wait for Mario Kart 8?

Yes absolutely. It's definitely a good game, and pretty cheap too.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
You guys.... I'm going to laugh SO hard at these forums if Pacman gets in. It would be the last nail in the coffin that buries any notion that anyone here has any idea what they're talking about.
Just FYI, if you're including me in that, I actually think Pac-Man is quite a bit more likely than not.

I'm just not happy about it.
Pac-Man has a longer history with Nintendo, than sonic Erimir:laugh:.
I didn't say that his history was short, I said that his history was primarily one of indifference. What with most of his recent games, including the Pac-Man World series, being multi-platform and selling better on the non-Nintendo consoles.

Just because some character has appeared on Nintendo consoles doesn't mean that they have a significant relationship to Nintendo. Just like I would hardly say that Rayman or Altair or Crash Bandicoot have much to do with Nintendo.

As opposed to Mega Man, who is a character that has appeared on Nintendo more often than not and has most of his important games on Nintendo. Or Sonic, who has a bitter 16-bit rivalry which has changed into a great partnership. He doesn't just cameo, he headlines games with Mario.
And also Pac-man has been in 3 Mario Kart arcade games and mario even appeared as the game announcer in Pac-Man VS.
I don't deny he has any points in his favor. At least here you're on better ground - he has had cameos in Nintendo games and vice versa.

But it seems like Namco just likes to put Pac-Man in games they work on. So I think it's quite likely we'll see Pac-Man in the game.

I just don't think that makes him worthy.
lloyd irving some guy from castlevania have not in my eyes (defined) gaming!!!.
Some guy from Castlevania has way more association with the NES and Nintendo consoles in general than Pac-Man does, though. I don't claim that Simon Belmont is more of an icon than Pac-Man, I claim he has a stronger connection to Nintendo.

Crash Bandicoot and Kratos and Master Chief have "defined generations of gaming" but I don't think they should be in Smash (and fortunately, they have no chance of doing so).

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Anyone can have a moveset. The question is, would it be fun, usable, interesting, and indicative of the character all at the same time.
This is great. Not enough people see the litmus for character inclusions this way. It is a shame to see over and over so many people defending an inclusion vehemently because they spend their time thinking about how awesome the character would be than what they would actually bring to the game. Most of them really do think that they could tack on a moveset and call it a day.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Some guy from Castlevania has way more association with the NES and Nintendo consoles in general than Pac-Man does, though. I don't claim that Simon Belmont is more of an icon than Pac-Man, I claim he has a stronger connection to Nintendo.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom