• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mechanics & Techniques Discussion

Was your discovery something new or real?

• Total voters

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Anyone know the amount of frames it take to perform an action after grabbing a ledge. When I want to drop off the edge to use an aerial after grabbing it, sometimes I get a ledge jump. I put my inputs in but I don't get the command I want.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Anyone know the amount of frames it take to perform an action after grabbing a ledge. When I want to drop off the edge to use an aerial after grabbing it, sometimes I get a ledge jump. I put my inputs in but I don't get the command I want.
I believe it's 20 frames, or very close to that.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Say you get BThrown by Ness near the left edge (for illustrative purposes ofc) at KO percent. If you don't DI, you're gonna get KOd. However, if you hold up while while you get thrown, instead of going at a ~40° angle, you'll be launched at something like a 45-50° angle, towards the top-left corner of the blastlines, meaning you have a better chance of surviving.
Kind of recently (just after patch 1.0.6) I read that horizontal Vectoring is still in the game, but vertical Vectoring is kind of replaced by DI. This means that if you are hit to the right, you should hold the stick to the left to survive and if you are hit to the left you should hold the stick to the right. Additionally, if you are hit upwards, you should hold left or right, away from the hitbox sending you up.

I'm not 100 % sure if this is correct or not, but I also watched a video demonstrating this (I can't find it right now, but I'll see if I can look it up). That video was very convincing as it showed how a character was launched while the player was holding the control stick in different directions. Can people confirm if this is true or not? I really want to clear up exactly how DI/Vectoring works in Smash 4 and it confuses me a lot that people are saying different things.

EDIT: I found the post where I first read it, written by HeroMystic Here
Horizontal vectoring has always been in the game. Vertical vectoring is what was removed from the previous patch.

Holding up on the analog stick still increases knockback. (Mario's F-Smash kills Mario @99% at the respawn point of FD regularly. Holding up makes it kill earlier.)
Holding towards the stage reduces knockback. (Mario's F-Smash kills Mario @107% at the respawn point with this method.)

I've tested it and it's still in the game.

Edit: If you use a Vertical kill move (such as Fox's U-Smash), then holding down will do nothing. However holding away from Fox will allow you to live longer much like regular DI.
I still haven't found the video, though.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Kind of recently (just after patch 1.0.6) I read that horizontal Vectoring is still in the game, but vertical Vectoring is kind of replaced by DI. This means that if you are hit to the right, you should hold the stick to the left to survive and if you are hit to the left you should hold the stick to the right. Additionally, if you are hit upwards, you should hold left or right, away from the hitbox sending you up.

I'm not 100 % sure if this is correct or not, but I also watched a video demonstrating this (I can't find it right now, but I'll see if I can look it up). That video was very convincing as it showed how a character was launched while the player was holding the control stick in different directions. Can people confirm if this is true or not? I really want to clear up exactly how DI/Vectoring works in Smash 4 and it confuses me a lot that people are saying different things.
That's sort of what we've been working with since 1.0.4 hit.

I don't think anyone's worked out the for-sure specifics yet (I'd lab all this out if I had a Wii U, but alas) but from what I could surmise playing around with Bob-ombs, Deku Nuts, and looking at what sorts of DI effects happen from certain attacks (mainly Diddy dthrow/uair), these are my observations:

Against a Bob-omb (launched up-left, taunting before DI input to prevent crouch cancelling)
Helpful DI:
:GCUR::GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL:
Optimal DI:
:GCDR:

Unhelpful DI:
:GCU::GCUL::GCL:

Against a Z-dropped Deku Nut (aerial hit, dropped from a shorthop; 90° launch)
Helpful/Optimal DI:
:GCL::GCR:

No effect:
:GCU::GCD:

Vertical inputs seem to affect the 75°/105° launches of Diddy's uair and dthrow, but as far as I noticed not 80° launches such as Fox's usmash, so my current belief of how the DI mechanics work is "Vectoring at most angles, normal DI from 80-100°".

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Thanks for the answer! Now this just made it even more confusing... So, holding down/up has effect (adds/subtracts) when the knockback is both horizontal and vertical, but does nothing when the knockback is only vertical? I would be very interested to see the programming behind this.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Completely vertical inputs on the control stick wouldn't affect the launch angle of attacks that launch the opponent at a 90-degree angle because both would be parallel with each other.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Mods beat me to it.

Anyway...

DI is holding a direction on the analogue stick at the moment of impact to slightly alter the angle you're launched at.

Say you get BThrown by Ness near the left edge (for illustrative purposes ofc) at KO percent. If you don't DI, you're gonna get KOd. However, if you hold up while while you get thrown, instead of going at a ~40° angle, you'll be launched at something like a 45-50° angle, towards the top-left corner of the blastlines, meaning you have a better chance of surviving. DI won't work if you input the direction you want to "bend" your trajectory to once you've been launched.

SDI is inputting a direction while you're in hitlag (the frames when an attack connects during which the attacker and victim are frozen; think Falcon's Knee or a smash hit of the Ore Club) to shift slightly in that direction. SDI will only work during hitlag, and it doesn't affect your launch angle, only your position. Say you get hit by Ganondorf's DAir offstage, near-ish to the wall, but far enough so that even if you DI towards the wall you won't hit it. If you SDI towards the wall during DAir's hitlag then DI towards the wall too, you have a better chance of impacting the wall so you can walltech and survive the hit.

I'd suggest checking these threads next time rather than making a new one;

http://smashboards.com/threads/mechanics-techniques-discussion.368206/

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smash-dictionary.374538/

I hope I helped! (idk what you mean by ELI5 unfortunately)
I don't want to confuse the person who asked the question but that is not the correct way to DI in this game particularly against Ness's back throw. Holding up on the control stick increases knockback received, so the best way to DI Ness's back throw is holding (almost) completely horizontal towards the stage. Lavani's testing is more thorough and backs me up here.

busken

Smash Ace
Does Skid Canceling Shield Grab still work in Smash 4? If it does what uses do you guys think it might have?

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
So I have been on a massive losing streak. Im having a lot of issues. First i cant punish anyone's rolls. having a huge problem putting damage on and killing especially chars like mario who's rolls get them out of any situation. Second lets say i read a roll there's a few frames that i can counter. Well i go to punish and instant shield is up i have no idea whats going on cause after a roll there should be an opportunity to attack. Third how are people smashing out of shield? Fourth im having problems connecting my back airs. I'm spacing correctly and they always whiff im not sure whats going on

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So I have been on a massive losing streak. Im having a lot of issues. First i cant punish anyone's rolls. having a huge problem putting damage on and killing especially chars like mario who's rolls get them out of any situation. Second lets say i read a roll there's a few frames that i can counter. Well i go to punish and instant shield is up i have no idea whats going on cause after a roll there should be an opportunity to attack. Third how are people smashing out of shield? Fourth im having problems connecting my back airs. I'm spacing correctly and they always whiff im not sure whats going on
Are you using Peach and Rosalina? They're just too slow to punish a lot of rolls. Take the stage control; they only have so much space to roll to, after all...

Sometimes there's just not an opportunity to punish. It's something you have to deal with while playing any fighting game, and Smash 4 is no exception.

If you get a perfect shield, you can cancel the shield immediately into whatever you want. Otherwise, you can cancel your shield with a Jump command and then cancel that jump with an Up-Smash.

If you were spacing correctly, you wouldn't be missing. :p

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
Are you using Peach and Rosalina? They're just too slow to punish a lot of rolls. Take the stage control; they only have so much space to roll to, after all...

Sometimes there's just not an opportunity to punish. It's something you have to deal with while playing any fighting game, and Smash 4 is no exception.

If you get a perfect shield, you can cancel the shield immediately into whatever you want. Otherwise, you can cancel your shield with a Jump command and then cancel that jump with an Up-Smash.

If you were spacing correctly, you wouldn't be missing. :p
I cant do anything. I cant put damage on i cant kill or grab. If i attack i get shield grabbed. I cant get a single attack in. Everything is getting shielded. I dont know what to do. I cant do anything right and nothing is working

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I cant do anything. I cant put damage on i cant kill or grab. If i attack i get shield grabbed. I cant get a single attack in. Everything is getting shielded. I dont know what to do. I cant do anything right and nothing is working
You may be playing with people out of your skill level. Ask for tips, observe how they play, and try to find players near your level. Once you start dominating those players you might find you are better at damaging the people you feel nothing is working against.

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
You may be playing with people out of your skill level. Ask for tips, observe how they play, and try to find players near your level. Once you start dominating those players you might find you are better at damaging the people you feel nothing is working against.
I'm just playing people on for glory.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Don't chase them down; get used to baiting them into running into your moves.

busken

Smash Ace
Well a ZAC is a Z-drop aerial catch. Which means you z drop an item and catch it with an aerial. Normally however you can only do it at the apex of your jump, or you can do it when you're descending but you'll need to double jump-aerial to catch the item.

An iZAC is a specific type of ZAC where you do a a rising aerial with an item in hand. To do it, you have to jump, quickly Z drop and then aerial. You can do it with a short hop or a full hop. The timing is difficult because if you press Z too quickly after pressing jump, you'll just cancel the jump and do an item toss. You also can't be pressing the control stick when you press Z otherwise you'll just toss the item.

But if you get it down consistently, it basically means you can do aerials with a nana in your hand.
Does anybody have any footage of this technique, or verify it's existence? I surfed the web for a bit, but couldn't find anything of the sort.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody have any footage of this technique, or verify it's existence? I surfed the web for a bit, but couldn't find anything of the sort.
He does it around the beginning.

EDIT:
More recent vid of the same person on the Wii U version, he does it alot more on this one.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
People have talked a lot about there being a single frames of ledge snap vulnerability in this game. Has this been explored extensively? Has this been confirmed to exist on every single ledge snap, or is it character-specific? Does the location of the vulnerable opponent change based on where the ledge snap starts to happen, or do they always teleport to the same spot for that one frame?

I'd like to see about figuring out how to really exploit it if it is really exploitable in the first place. Preliminary answers to these questions would make my quest a lot easier.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
The problem is that you're probably playing aggressive. Smash 4 doesn't reward aggression a fraction as much as it rewards defense, especially online where input delay makes punishing recovery frames on dodges even harder than it already is. Try to play more campy for a while. Substitute a dash attack for a dash/pivot grab. If you notice your aerials are being shielded > grabbed, start doing empty jump-ins and grab them.

If you notice the person you're fighting is simply reacting and punishing, learn to just camp around safely doing nothing to feel them out and break their rhythm. Learn what moves are safe and abuse them best you can. Doing nothing can really go a long way in this game.

People have talked a lot about there being a single frames of ledge snap vulnerability in this game. Has this been explored extensively? Has this been confirmed to exist on every single ledge snap, or is it character-specific? Does the location of the vulnerable opponent change based on where the ledge snap starts to happen, or do they always teleport to the same spot for that one frame?

I'd like to see about figuring out how to really exploit it if it is really exploitable in the first place. Preliminary answers to these questions would make my quest a lot easier.
Yes, there are about 1-2 frames of vulnerability when the character is grabbing the ledge (this would be during the snap), and it's about the most useful information i ever found out about this game. Naturally a 1-2 frame window is pretty impossible to exploit with most moves, but with some timing, some moves are particularly good at it. Ike's Eruption is a good example of this, which is good because it's just about the only thing the move is useful for.

If your character has a move with hitboxes that reach down, and enough active frames to catch the attack, then try to time it. Even better if you're safe if you wiff. The window is extremely small, but some moves make it easier to exploit, and ledge snapping can be predictible for the most part, so it helps a little.

Last edited:
@HoodedAltair

Its a wavebounce. Normally when you BReverse a special you input the opposite direction after inputting the special. For a wavebounce, you input the opposite direction before the special, then after the special you input the direction you were originally facing. The first input is to turn around when you start your special without reversing your momentum, so the second input reverses your momentum but also turns you back around to face the original direction. Its just a double turnaround + momentum reversal.

So,

1. Facing forward, moving forward
2. Input back > special
3. Facing backward, moving foward
4. Input forward (or backwards I guess relative to the direction you're now facing)
5. This turns you around and reverses your momentum, since its a BReverse
6. Facing forward, moving backward

Next time post in here rather than making a new thread -

http://smashboards.com/threads/mechanics-techniques-discussion.368206/

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

When characters get in range to grab the ledge from any state, they'll start reaching for the ledge frame 1 (still vulnerable) and grab the ledge on frame 3 (invincible). I'm unsure if frame 2 is vulnerable or not, haven't managed to prove or disprove it, but it'd make sense to me if invincibility is achieved by grabbing the ledge.

Since characters start reaching for the ledge when they're in range to begin snapping to it, the exploitable frame isn't on the ledge, but under/in front of it depending on the recovery trajectory. Here's an image comparing three different snap directions with Palutena (first frame ledge snap begins out of Warp):

It's definitely exploitable, especially if you have a character that can easily put lingering hitboxes offstage (Kirby dair, Swordfighter dair, Luigi Cyclone, Rosalina dair/Luma jab, Wario bike/dair, etc.) or attacks that reach below the ledge.

Some other points worth noting: ledgesnaps can be intercepted with command grabs (Falcon Dive stagespikes!), and even though the character doesn't actually touch the ledge their jumps are restored when hit out of ledge snap.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's exactly what I needed to know; thanks for the informative post. I'll be sure to mess around with it when I get off work in a few hours.

Now, another question: Does anyone know the frame data for tripping characters, both the victim's IASA and invincibility on trip attack, trip roll, etc.?

busken

Smash Ace
Dash Grab: Performing a grab in the dash animation.
Pivot Grab: Performing a grab in the turnaround animation.
Pivot Dash Grab: Performing a grab while in the slide of the turnaround animation.
Roll-Canceled Grab: Performing a grab while interrupting the initial frames of the roll animation.
Boost Grab: Performing a grab by interrupting the initial frames of the dash attack.
Reverse Boost Grab: Performing a grab by interrupting the initial frames of the dash attack moving in the opposite direction.
Perfect Pivot Grab: Performing a grab in the perfect pivot animation.
Shield Grab: Performing a grab while in shield.

These are all of the grabs I can remember off the top of my head that every character can perform. Now that I have provided a list can somebody tell me which grabs are the quickest and have the most range?

Megamang

Smash Lord
That's exactly what I needed to know; thanks for the informative post. I'll be sure to mess around with it when I get off work in a few hours.

Now, another question: Does anyone know the frame data for tripping characters, both the victim's IASA and invincibility on trip attack, trip roll, etc.?

Please post in this thread, or even a new thread, whatever you discover. I really like the direction sm4sh took with the ledge game.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
As far as I can tell, ledge grabs have a universal 2 frame vulnerability. There could be some characters that have more than 2 or less than 2, but it definitely exists for characters that don't have warp-like recoveries. Until someone actually tests it out with every character, we won't really know for sure. I just know that DK, Ganon, Shiek, Zelda, and Palutena all have ledge snap vulnerability.

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
I've recently come upon some wonkyness with the grab button. I've known or a while that when I miss my pivot grab input I'll do a pivot tilt instead, but now I've found that I can Down Smash, JC Up Smash, and duck and Down Tilt using the grab button and the proper directional input. dtilt is sort of useless because you can't do it as fast as you could with the attack button because you'll grab instead. JC Up Smash and Down Smash though are very appealing to me because I've recently switched my c-stick to attack and they come out like they were melee c-stick inputs. The only problem is that the timing on down smashing out of shield is super strict and it will probably come out as a grab without perfect timing.

busken

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how to consistently wall cling unto stages such as FD, Battlefield, Smashville, T&C, etc I have randomly done it before and wondering if I can do it consistently.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Dash Grab: Performing a grab in the dash animation.
Pivot Grab: Performing a grab in the turnaround animation.
Pivot Dash Grab: Performing a grab while in the slide of the turnaround animation.
Roll-Canceled Grab: Performing a grab while interrupting the initial frames of the roll animation.
Boost Grab: Performing a grab by interrupting the initial frames of the dash attack.
Reverse Boost Grab: Performing a grab by interrupting the initial frames of the dash attack moving in the opposite direction.
Perfect Pivot Grab: Performing a grab in the perfect pivot animation.
Shield Grab: Performing a grab while in shield.

These are all of the grabs I can remember off the top of my head that every character can perform. Now that I have provided a list can somebody tell me which grabs are the quickest and have the most range?
Pivot grab cannot be done during the turnaround animation.
You can Pivot grab on the initial frames of Dash Grab and skid though

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
can you cancel your skid into an attack like f-tilt or d-tilt?
you can cancel the initial part of skid with a dash attack kinda like how you can cancel a the initial part of dash with an F-smash, but no you cannot. you can definitely buffer actions

the skid animation is really something you want to avoid because of how extremely limiting it is.

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
Don't chase them down; get used to baiting them into running into your moves.
The issue im still having is these instant shields that are coming out of nowhere. For example someone uses a move with a lot of lag they whiff i go to attack in the spot of opportunity all of a sudden there is a shield. I'm having this issue a lot with people rolling. My biggest problem im still having is people just rolling. Cant punish them and even if i can there's the instant shield. Also how are people doing instant smashes. An example of a popular one is Link dsmash for example.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The issue im still having is these instant shields that are coming out of nowhere. For example someone uses a move with a lot of lag they whiff i go to attack in the spot of opportunity all of a sudden there is a shield. I'm having this issue a lot with people rolling. My biggest problem im still having is people just rolling. Cant punish them and even if i can there's the instant shield. Also how are people doing instant smashes. An example of a popular one is Link dsmash for example.
Everyone's shield comes out on Frame 1. It has been this way in every Smash game. They're not any faster by themselves; the issues come from the fact that many of the best moves have less endlag than they did, say, in Brawl. Rolls go a greater distance on average than in Brawl, too, iirc, so you have to go further to catch someone.

There's no such thing as an instant Smash, either. Link's D-Smash is a fairly fast Smash attack in general, but flicking the C-Stick or tapping Down-A quickly is as fast as it gets; there's no trick to it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Double-post for relative importance(, IMO):

Any invincibility caused by moves you grab the ledge with appears to carry into the frame(s?) where you would otherwise be vulnerable on said ledge snap. For example, a Sheik who hasn't disappeared via Up-B yet cannot be hit on a ledge snap due to the start-up invincibility carrying over. After she disappears, though, she's no longer invincible (and she reappears for that frame of vulnerability), so you can hit her if she grabs the ledge after that point.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Double-post for relative importance(, IMO):

Any invincibility caused by moves you grab the ledge with appears to carry into the frame(s?) where you would otherwise be vulnerable on said ledge snap. For example, a Sheik who hasn't disappeared via Up-B yet cannot be hit on a ledge snap due to the start-up invincibility carrying over. After she disappears, though, she's no longer invincible (and she reappears for that frame of vulnerability), so you can hit her if she grabs the ledge after that point.
While failing to replicate this with :4sheik::4gaw:, I accidentally stumbled on what I think is what you actually discovered: when snapping to the ledge from above, the ledgesnap is fully invincible.

It seems that as long as you're above the ledge's horizontal plane, your ledgesnap is safe (which clears this up for me).

Demonstration with Falco Phase and Farore's Wind:

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That might end up being a really big deal later down the line. I was testing what could get through a lingering Waft near the edge (granted, I was using two controllers at once, so it wasn't as precise as I would've liked), and I whiffed against Vanish three times, so I thought the invincibility is what it was.

What recovery moves get you above the ledge from a realistic recovery path?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Noticing that these all involve teleport moves so far, maybe you actually get to the ledge on Frame 1 if your character has no extra distance to travel when the snap happens?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
While failing to replicate this with :4sheik::4gaw:, I accidentally stumbled on what I think is what you actually discovered: when snapping to the ledge from above, the ledgesnap is fully invincible.

It seems that as long as you're above the ledge's horizontal plane, your ledgesnap is safe (which clears this up for me).

Demonstration with Falco Phase and Farore's Wind:
Why was I never informed of this? :sadeyes:

Top Bottom