• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #28! Ike

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I agree, but gimping top level Ikes isn't as easy as you make it out to be. Most of them see it coming and react accordingly.
No, it's easy if you know what you're doing and not being predictable. You can practically shove Ike away and he won't make it back.

When you throw Ike off-stage, he's hoping you're a big screw-up and won't hit him while he's air-dodging. It's silly to say gimping Ike is cakewalk, but compared to other characters, it's Ike's biggest downfall.

In some cases Ike is easier to gimp than Link. At least he has decent horizontal recovery.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
No, it's easy if you know what you're doing and not being predictable. You can practically shove Ike away and he won't make it back.

When you throw Ike off-stage, he's hoping you're a big screw-up and won't hit him while he's air-dodging. It's silly to say gimping Ike is cakewalk, but compared to other characters, it's Ike's biggest downfall.

In some cases Ike is easier to gimp than Link. At least he has decent horizontal recovery.
Guess I fall into being too predictable. I usually chase an Ike off the stage with a N-air or F-air, and D-air when they're close to the ledge. It works pretty well in most cases, but I've had them use Counter or react with one of their own aerials. I have even gotten Aether spiked of all things.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
No, it is easy.

Start:

If the Ike is not close to the stage
Step one: Jump out
Step two: Wait for a reaction

If the reaction is Fair
Step one: Counter
Step two: retreat back to stage
Step three: go back to start

If the Ike's reaction is Jump
Step one: Double Jump Fair
Step two: retreat back to stage
step three: go back to start

If the Ike's reaction is fall
Step one, Fast Fall and Fair.
Step two, Dolphin Slash back to the ledge
Step three, edgehog, or get on the stage, depending on positioning. Ledge drop counter if you have a good angle for Aether.
Step four, go back to start

If the Ike counters

Step one, laugh
Step two Fair, or Dair if you're amazing.
Step three, return to the stage
Step four, go back to start.

If the Ike charges Quick Draw
Step one, Fair
Step two, go back to the stage
Step three, go back to start.

ElseIf the Ike is close to the stage
Step one, Fair
Step two go back to the stage

If the Fair connected
Step one Go back to start

If the Ike airdodged
Go Back to start

If the Ike Aethered
Counter

Use UpB to grab the ledge/stage spike appropriately.
Hog the ledge appropriately.

70-30 Marth

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You do know there are more variables to factor into the match than what you posted. If you want, we can just play a friendly...~_~ I don't do money matches ok

And you can never factor the main variable of mindgames/stupidity

jw511

Smash Cadet
I got a question; what if the Ike is on a stage like Halberd where he can recover under the stage from anywhere? Does that make a difference when you're gimping? I think it *might* affect the battle. Not that important since Marth pwns Ike on pretty much every other stage. Not sure if it's been mentioned before. (sorry)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Marth can still WoP him off the stage. Aether wouldn't be gimped as easily, but it's still a viable tactic.

Real Pro-Ike stages would be Delfino Plaza and Pirate Ship when going against Marth.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
If Ike CP's that fire emblem stage, those statues can delay your attacks and take away some of your speed advantage. He can outspace you 10x easier with those statues in you way.

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
Marth can still WoP him off the stage. Aether wouldn't be gimped as easily, but it's still a viable tactic.

Real Pro-Ike stages would be Delfino Plaza and Pirate Ship when going against Marth.
Just a question, because i've heard different things.

Why is Delfino a good CP for Ike?
Some say it's good for him, others say it's bad when facing a Marth.
I just need to know. :)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It's good for Ike in terms of not being gimped. The water helps and evens the match-up out. Plus he can easily get a spike kill due to how powerful his D-air is.

Although after reading the Marth CP thread, I can see how it's a bad CP stage when fighting against Marth too, although the pros for Ike is still there.

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
It's good for Ike in terms of not being gimped. The water helps and evens the match-up out. Plus he can easily get a spike kill due to how powerful his D-air is.

Although after reading the Marth CP thread, I can see how it's a bad CP stage when fighting against Marth too, although the pros for Ike is still there.
Ohhh ok, gotcha.

Kinda even, and kinda no.
But more pros for Ike.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
my god, i have so much trouble beating my friends ike. i try my super fast forward arials but he ALWAYS finds a way to break my forward a spree. help meee..... :(

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
my god, i have so much trouble beating my friends ike. i try my super fast forward arials but he ALWAYS finds a way to break my forward a spree. help meee..... :(
Mix it up with Marth's other quick moves, like Dtilt and Jab and use Ftilt to help shut down his aerial approaches. Don't be predictable or it will be very easy for Ike to use his better range to hit you with powerful moves outside of your range. Once you get onside you can use DB, jab, Dtilt, Fair, and Nair to rack up damage.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I cosign what Ussi said.

You get no sympathy from Ike mainers (don't be fooled by my theme, I can play Ike).

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Marth can pretty much own Ike. Unless your opponent has some serious skills and is smart and adaptable then Ike should be an easier fight then other characters. If you can hit Ike off and keep edgeguarding well then that puts Ike in a very bad situation with limited moves to do. The only bad thing wold be to watch out for an aether when hanging on the edge. It would be better to try and put the Ike in a situation where they would use quick draw to get back instead of aether. But then again Marth can jsut counter aether instead of trying to hang on the egde.

ikes just too slow and can't jump very high and is heavy. This is like the opposite of Marth lol and Marth can get opponents flying with a tipped hit which can help make up for the power missing from his hits.

Marth definetly can pwn Ike if used correctly.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
When i first picked up brawl i used ike and i planned to use everyone with a sword. A few months later, and now i wont touch ike (or MK) period. He just doesnt fit my playstyle. Actually the second i unlocked marth i started to drop ike. Sorry Solid, ike just isnt happening for me :(

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Eh, most people don't like Ike. He is hard to use well IMO. I used him first as well. I have had a bunch of secondaries (9 or 10, lol) and now I'm bringing some back, Ike included. I don't like MK though. He is too easy to use. I think Ike is fun to use as a complement to my Marth because of how you have to use them differently, it's fun.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
When i first picked up brawl i used ike and i planned to use everyone with a sword. A few months later, and now i wont touch ike (or MK) period. He just doesnt fit my playstyle. Actually the second i unlocked marth i started to drop ike. Sorry Solid, ike just isnt happening for me :(
Same here. Ike is just too slow for my taste. I like being able to pull off quick combos and flow from one attack to the next. The only reason I don't main Meta Knight is because of how overused he is. Plus, I was a Marth main back in Melee so I want to stay loyal. :laugh:

Top Bottom