• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
These days , I'm reeeally tempted to play this one. The wait is just painful at this point!!

Speaking of wait, i'm seeing on the Ultimate discussion thread that someone apparently got his hands on the Smash Ultimate demo. Therefore, there's a possibility that some newcomers will be spoiled via datamining.

If you could decide, regarding the outcome for Skullkid:

Would you like to know now or wait until the official reveal?
He doesn't seem to be responding to people's requests to turn the files over, probably doesn't want to be a surprise ruiner, and it's unlikely that any juicy stuff is buried in the demo build anyways.

Honestly, this game hasn't even been officially confirmed for six months yet. Y'all are just impatient. It's been like two weeks since we had five newcomers revealed, and the previous massive info dump was only a month and a half before that. The Brawl hype cycle was YEARS long, so was Smash 4's. We're going to know everything about this game and be playing it before the year is out.

He doesn't seem to be responding to people's requests to turn the files over, probably doesn't want to be a surprise ruiner, and it's unlikely that any juicy stuff is buried in the demo build anyways.

Honestly, this game hasn't even been officially confirmed for six months yet. Y'all are just impatient. It's been like two weeks since we had five newcomers revealed, and the previous massive info dump was only a month and a half before that. The Brawl hype cycle was YEARS long, so was Smash 4's. We're going to know everything about this game and be playing it before the year is out.
You're probably right about the demo.

Just to be clear, i said the wait was painful but personally i'd rather wait for the official release.

The question was only meant to start a conversation and share opinions.

''Y'all'' seems a bit broad, no offense. The line between hype and impatience is thin tho.

Edit: The demo guy is apparently a fraud, it's been debunked https://twitter.com/Warchamp7/status/1034621847692816384 still i'm interested in your thoughts nevertheless.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
We're constantly acknowledging how hype Skull Kid would be when he's reveal but what can Sakurai do to actually ruin it?

We're constantly acknowledging how hype Skull Kid would be when he's reveal but what can Sakurai do to actually ruin it?
Letting it leak before reveal would kind of ruin it imo. Don't get me wrong, if Skullkid is leaked i'd be hype AF but i'd prefer to learn about it through an epic reveal trailer ;)

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
His mask being being way bigger than i'ts supposed to be like in hyrule warriors would be pretty disappointing, don't get me wrong I would still be hyped, just slightly annoyed, I don't expect this to be the case since Sakurai puts alot of love in properly representing characters appearance and moveset wise, exceptfor a few outliers :ultganondorf:

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Using his AT model and not make his proportions more accurrate, and not updating the textures to look way better (but I know that won't happen, dark samus is a great example of how AT model and playable model are totally different levels of quality.)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think the most disappointing thing they could do as from making him a clone or not playable is to give him a really generic Final Smash. No moon, no wrath, just big ball of genericness

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think the most disappointing thing they could do as from making him a clone or not playable is to give him a really generic Final Smash. No moon, no wrath, just big ball of genericness
I'm not too worried about that, given what we've seen from the rest of the full newcomers so far. Everyone besides the Inklings (and I dunno much about Splatoon, but maybe even *that* is a good choice?) have insane spectacle Final Smashes that use fully-rendered 3D assets just for that. I can't imagine a character with as much visual potential as Skull Kid getting something that generic.

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet
For me, a lack of Majora in the moveset.
Skullkid is my favorite character to play as in Hyrule Warriors. But I was somewhat saddened that the only true Majora boss reference to my memory was the lazer eyes. The rest was instruments, puppets, dark magic, and etc. i don't dislike those, but ideally I want at least an even representation of Skullkid type attacks, with Majora type attacks, maybe even a moreso focus on Majora this time around.
It may happen this time since they will probably want to differentiate the Smash and HW movesets from each other.

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that could ruin the hype for Skull Kid's inclusion is if he was an Echo somehow, but I think that's almost impossible. The only thing I could even potentially see is him being a Zelda Echo, with the spells replaced by dark magic and the Phantom being replaced by a puppet... but I think changing the animations would be so time consuming that they would make him his own character at that point.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Ah, you mean pull a Dedede Burst.

I mean, seriously. Where did that move even come from? I'm still a little mad at Sakurai for that one. He better not do that to SK...

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I think I'd be really dissapointed if he doesn't get in as a character. I mean, I think it is the next logical choice as a Zelda Rep aside from Impa, and if Ultimate is really going all out with their characters, it wouldn't make sense to me for Skull Kid to not finally make it in.

Especially since I've been waiting for him since Brawl

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think I'd be really dissapointed if he doesn't get in as a character. I mean, I think it is the next logical choice as a Zelda Rep aside from Impa, and if Ultimate is really going all out with their characters, it wouldn't make sense to me for Skull Kid to not finally make it in.

The main reason it makes the most sense to me, is that Skull Kid (and Majora) are an undeniably iconic part of the series, and they represent something especially unique in a series of unique things.

The Mask, the moon, so many parts of that game feel essential, and this feels like the best chance of all to properly pull him in and represent that. Especially if Everyone is Here! Him not appearing yet in a game all about fanservice is what makes me the MOST suspicious.

Plus, Skull Kid has always been a more lowkey popular character who does well with casuals in the speculation scene. He may have been lower priority for people during the ballot, but Majora’s Mask was hot off the heels of Operation Moonfall in 2015 and anticipating the release of MM3D.

No one is going to be shocked if Skull Kid gets in. It feels right.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
For me, a lack of Majora in the moveset.
Skullkid is my favorite character to play as in Hyrule Warriors. But I was somewhat saddened that the only true Majora boss reference to my memory was the lazer eyes. The rest was instruments, puppets, dark magic, and etc. i don't dislike those, but ideally I want at least an even representation of Skullkid type attacks, with Majora type attacks, maybe even a moreso focus on Majora this time around.
It may happen this time since they will probably want to differentiate the Smash and HW movesets from each other.
I was gonna say, part of Skull kids appeal isn't even Skull kid, it's the mask. Lemme destroy peeps using moves the Mask actually is responsible for (Aka, turning into Majoras wrath, etc)

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
The main reason it makes the most sense to me, is that Skull Kid (and Majora) are an undeniably iconic part of the series, and they represent something especially unique in a series of unique things.

The Mask, the moon, so many parts of that game feel essential, and this feels like the best chance of all to properly pull him in and represent that. Especially if Everyone is Here! Him not appearing yet in a game all about fanservice is what makes me the MOST suspicious.

Plus, Skull Kid has always been a more lowkey popular character who does well with casuals in the speculation scene. He may have been lower priority for people during the ballot, but Majora’s Mask was hot off the heels of Operation Moonfall in 2015 and anticipating the release of MM3D.

No one is going to be shocked if Skull Kid gets in. It feels right.
Yeah I really hope he gets in. It's hard to play the waiting game of Russian Roulette of character confirmations lol. I hope he gets revealed in a September Direct when they showcase online features fpr nintendo switch and fall/winter 2018 games

UserKev

Smash Champion
What would ruin Skull Kid's hype for me, a lazily rushed portrait of the mask, bright color scheme and lack of stand alone distinct original moves.

I guess I have high expectations. Haha

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
What would ruin Skull Kid's hype for me, a lazily rushed portrait of the mask, bright color scheme and lack of stand alone distinct original moves.

I guess I have high expectations. Haha
There was a post about this awhile back in the thread. People were saying the Mask Colors were off. The Mask was more vibrant and bright in the 64 version and was toned down in later remakes and representation right?

I do think Skull Kid's outfit in Smash 4 was a bit too vibrant/neon. I think toning it down would be fine

UserKev

Smash Champion
There was a post about this awhile back in the thread. People were saying the Mask Colors were off. The Mask was more vibrant and bright in the 64 version and was toned down in later remakes and representation right?

I do think Skull Kid's outfit in Smash 4 was a bit too vibrant/neon. I think toning it down would be fine
Your absolutely right. I couldn't have worded it better my self. Neon is a terrible look for Skull Kid and the mask NEEDS to be vibrant again, fully representing Majora's Mask. As Sakurai divided Link, Zelda and Ganondorf, representing separate Zelda games, Skull Kid shouldn't be the exception.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Everyone besides the Inklings (and I dunno much about Splatoon, but maybe even *that* is a good choice?)
As a Splatoon fan, the choice of Killer Wail as a FS is questionable at best, lol. Let's just say Killer Wail doesn't even appear in the 2nd game... It's definitely the weakest part of their kit, and probably the weakest of the newcomers' Final Smashes (speaking solely in terms of spectacle and "wow" factor here), but considering how great everything else is about their kit, it's still not bad. Final Smashes for the Inklings would be a bit awkward to choose from anyway given how many choices of Specials there are in the games, and choosing one would have likely been a coin toss since many of them are interactive in the Splatoon games, and interactive Final Smashes have been more or less removed in favour of stylish cinematic Final Smashes, which makes it tougher.

As for Skull Kid, I'm fairly confident we'll get Majora's Wrath if he becomes playable; just as I am pretty confident Young Link is getting Fierce Deity.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace

Let's speak frankly: Impa has many appearances but, leaving aside the fact she doesn't have an unique design, she's always an assist character. A kind of character that has ever been somewhat secondary to other important categories such as protagonist and antagonist (comparing the merchandising for her and for skull kid speaks loud and clear).
Moreover, she hasn't ever been really popular until Hyrule Warriors, I believe. A spin off.

The true reason why Impa is often mentioned as a possible zelda newcomer is the fact that she is, in a way or in the other, one of the few recurring zelda characters. It's more the hunger for a zelda newcomer that pointed toward her (without really convincing anyone).
But now one of the most beloved character is relevant again (thanks to 3ds remake), so we don't need to content ourself upon the most recurring character among the secondary ones. It's time to choose a very important kind of character, enough recurring too, and one of the most beloved and charming and charismatic, now that there aren't bounds of irrelevancy anymore (and considering that botw didn't give us any character so important to overhang all others)

In order to not take hate from any Impa fan: this is my thought and I didn't say it to upset someone. Instead, these are words by an user who likes (SS') Impa very much (even if of course I prefer Skull Kid).
It would be a blast having SK as an original newcomer AND Impa as Sheik's echo, though

UserKev

Smash Champion
Let's speak frankly: Impa has many appearances but, leaving aside the fact she doesn't have an unique design, she's always an assist character. A kind of character that has ever been somewhat secondary to other important categories such as protagonist and antagonist (comparing the merchandising for her and for skull kid speaks loud and clear).
Moreover, she hasn't ever been really popular until Hyrule Warriors, I believe. A spin off.

The true reason why Impa is often mentioned as a possible zelda newcomer is the fact that she is, in a way or in the other, one of the few recurring zelda characters. It's more the hunger for a zelda newcomer that pointed toward her (without really convincing anyone).
But now one of the most beloved character is relevant again (thanks to 3ds remake), so we don't need to content ourself upon the most recurring character among the secondary ones. It's time to choose a very important kind of character, enough recurring too, and one of the most beloved and charming and charismatic, now that there aren't bounds of irrelevancy anymore (and considering that botw didn't give us any character so important to overhang all others)

In order to not take hate from any Impa fan: this is my thought and I didn't say it to upset someone. Instead, these are words by an user who likes (SS') Impa very much (even if of course I prefer Skull Kid).
It would be a blast having SK as an original newcomer AND Impa as Sheik's echo, though
I have to agree with this. I'm not against Impa, I even silently support her but she does feel like scraping the bottom of the barrel for some reason.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Guys.. I think that one on the left inside the circle is our boiiiii
Hmm. Hovering above the ground, about half the height of any fighter around, almost the size of an ... imp. Could be. Nice find. Odd pose for SK though, and can’t see anything distinctive from the head, like the spikes. Let’s hope!

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Guys.. I think that one on the left inside the circle is our boiiiii
I don't think anyone in this picture was a newcomer. I thought this represented all the veterans from all the games. Aside from Inkling being in the teaser.

Though if I squint and stare at it, it does look like it could be him floating in the air. Maybe it's me seeing what I want to see.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
My main reason for thinking Skull Kid will be in is the fact that Melee was the last game to have a unique Zelda newcomer, combined with the notion that he doesn't have much competition left:

- Midna and Ghirahim got AT'd again. Before she got disconfirmed, I considered Midna to be Skull Kid's biggest obstacle.
- Breath of the Wild probably released too late to get a newcomer.
- Tingle is on Great Bay again.
- Impa will most likely be an echo. The two pose no threat to each other. In fact, they probably work in each other's favor.
- Zant is up in the air. I personally think the guy is underrated, but I can't see him getting in over Midna.
- Ganon is a Final Smash (there are other incarnations of Ganon, but still...).

There's barely anyone left to thwart him. I'd say Tetra is his biggest competition right now, if we are going by popularity.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My main reason for thinking Skull Kid will be in is the fact that Melee was the last game to have a unique Zelda newcomer, combined with the notion that he doesn't have much competition left:

- Midna and Ghirahim got AT'd again. Before she got disconfirmed, I considered Midna to be Skull Kid's biggest obstacle.
- Breath of the Wild probably released too late to get a newcomer.
- Tingle is on Great Bay again.
- Impa will most likely be an echo. The two pose no threat to each other. In fact, they probably work in each other's favor.
- Zant is up in the air. I personally think the guy is underrated, but I can't see him getting in over Midna.
- Ganon is a Final Smash (there are other incarnations of Ganon, but still...).

There's barely anyone left to thwart him. I'd say Tetra is his biggest competition right now, if we are going by popularity.
Agreed. Let's hope that the groose fans don't come back too… lol
I think Skull kid is more than likely happening, and people thinking loz was the only reason we began to want him in, are mistaken. The whole AT situation is suspicious enough as it is, and considering sakurai went through the trouble of clarifying that he wasn't playable back in smash 4 and he isn't doing that this time, is suspicious as well.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Really, Skull Kid can't be not unique since his design is doing a completely different thing. Skull Kid as a echo would be bizarre as hell.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Really, Skull Kid can't be not unique since his design is doing a completely different thing. Skull Kid as a echo would be bizarre as hell.
I mean, wouldn't Skull Kid as a Marth echo make sense? :rolleyes:

To be serious, I think in this thread someone mentioned Skull Kid being a Zelda Echo? Changing the magic to dark type magic. The teleport to Skull Kid's Teleport, and the down special to be for him to summon a puppet like he does in Twilight Princess/Hyrule Warriors. While I would absolutely prefer Skull Kid as a unique newcomer. If I HAD to have him as a Zelda Echo id deal with it.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I mean, wouldn't Skull Kid as a Marth echo make sense? :rolleyes:

To be serious, I think in this thread someone mentioned Skull Kid being a Zelda Echo? Changing the magic to dark type magic. The teleport to Skull Kid's Teleport, and the down special to be for him to summon a puppet like he does in Twilight Princess/Hyrule Warriors
If people are even considering Gardevoir to be a Mewtwo echo, I don't think we can take such people seriously anymore… lol.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Have you guys seen this leak floating around?

I'm personally on the opinion it's fake, but it's not bad. Wouldn't mind it being real, would be dissapointed no Bandana Dee but Skull Kid would more than make up for it.

EDIT: Really? No image? Here's the link
https://imgtc.com/i/k8UI9vk.jpg

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

I'm personally on the opinion it's fake, but it's not bad. Wouldn't mind it being real, would be dissapointed no Bandana Dee but Skull Kid would more than make up for it.

Not gonna lie, when I opened this up I initially thought it was some low effort meme. But looking at it, eeeeeehhh, doesn't look the realest. (doesn't help that I don't know the top right and left characters)

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie, when I opened this up I initially thought it was some low effort meme. But looking at it, eeeeeehhh, doesn't look the realest. (doesn't help that I don't know the top right and left characters)
Top right is definitely supposed to be Ken, it even mirrors Ryu's Ultimate artstyle. Top left is assumed to be Agnès from Bravely Default.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Every new leak includes Skull Kid. It's funny to see how fast the "popularity" of a character can change. But as they say, there's no smoke without fire, so...

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman

Skull Kid Render looks like the picture of him in SSB4 when he floats on the air and casts the spell.

Dr Bones

Smash Cadet
I'd like to show my support for skull kid. I've been told for years that it would never happen, but now I seems like that's changing.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Skull Kid Render looks like the picture of him in SSB4 when he floats on the air and casts the spell.
People have compared it and it doesn't match exactly. This does look like a really odd render though, I would definitely expect Skull Kid's render to face the camera to get a proper look at the ever iconic Majora's Mask, this kind of skewed side view is just awkward.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Is the one next to Ken supposed to be Isaac? Doesn't he have blond hair? Also, the thought of Bravely Default getting a character is...kinda odd to me for some reason. But it's unusual, so at least this leak is somewhat different!

I could see that being Skull Kid's pose though, kinda looking wistfully into the distance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom