• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I believe it's fake. Especially because of Shadow, Skull Kid, Isabelle, and the first girl.(don't know who that is)

Shadow's render is just... I don't want to say bad, but it looks so off and doesn't really fit with any artwork we have for the game. The girl's proportions with her face are awkward and disproportionate just a bit, and all the artwork so far has been very precise with the detail. Then Skull Kid and Isabelle's are the only two that are outright blurry for seemingly no reason.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Seems to be fake, but playing off of the "WTF" (Wii Fit Trainer, Solid Snake, Marth, Ness, etc) factor that appears to get into every game with that Bravely Default rep in there. Good try overall, but I don't think I'll give it much time of the day. It is interesting how both Isabel and Skull Kid's images are both blurred and bad quality, as if they were simply ripped from a previous "leaker's" attempt and put there.

It is kind of funny how Skull Kid appears to be making it into every one though. It's as if even the bull**** leakers see him as a shoe-in and feel pressured to include him or face ridicule, lol. Many of them are bandwagoners as well though, and play off the fact that we won't know for sure until the next Direct, which is probably safely still another 1.5 months away give or take.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Seems to be fake, but playing off of the "WTF" (Wii Fit Trainer, Solid Snake, Marth, Ness, etc) factor that appears to get into every game with that Bravely Default rep in there. Good try overall, but I don't think I'll give it much time of the day. It is interesting how both Isabel and Skull Kid's images are both blurred and bad quality, as if they were simply ripped from a previous "leaker's" attempt and put there.

It is kind of funny how Skull Kid appears to be making it into every one though. It's as if even the bull**** leakers see him as a shoe-in and feel pressured to include him or face ridicule, lol. Many of them are bandwagoners as well though, and play off the fact that we won't know for sure until the next Direct, which is probably safely still another 1.5 months away give or take.
I was thinking the same thing. There was almost no leak that had Skull Kid before the Direct, but now almost every leak includes him. There's an obvious bandwagon effect going on simply because his assist trophy wasn't shown.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of his inclusion, but we shouldn't be relying on fake leaks that are so obviously relying on that bandwagon effect and piggybacking off of other leaks.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking the same thing. There was almost no leak that had Skull Kid before the Direct, but now almost every leak includes him. There's an obvious bandwagon effect going on simply because his assist trophy wasn't shown.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of his inclusion, but we shouldn't be relying on fake leaks that are so obviously relying on that bandwagon effect and piggybacking off of other leaks.
At the very least it's putting Skull Kid in the spotlight and if for some reason he doesn't make it as a playable character, he could be DLC

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Have you guys seen this leak floating around?

I'm personally on the opinion it's fake, but it's not bad. Wouldn't mind it being real, would be dissapointed no Bandana Dee but Skull Kid would more than make up for it.

EDIT: Really? No image? Here's the link
https://imgtc.com/i/k8UI9vk.jpg
These are all obviously fake. That's literally just a close up of Skull Kid's assist trophy in Smash 4. That Shadow "render" looks like a 2D image that you could probably find on deviantart in 5 minutes. The literally who in the top left looks like the side of her face is melting upwards. Ken is obviously not an actual Smash Ultimate render either. The only character who could convincingly pass as real is Isaac and even then that could have just been the "leaker" getting lucky and slapping together something passable looking for once.

UserKev

Smash Champion

I get this. I feel like it can reverse the effect as Sakurai isn't predictable. After Skull Kid is possibly revealed, everyone will just remember "Skull Kid is the one character that was constantly in leaks before his reveal."

It really sounds like a niche ending and victory.

Smash Apprentice
That leak is so fake looking. Agnes, Issac, and Ken's renders look really hideous and clearly are photoshopped.

That being said, I think the leaker made good guesses and a few of these characters will get in. I think Skull Kid, Shadow, Ken, and Isabelle will. I hope Isaac gets lucky too but I'm not holding my breath...

Dr Bones

Smash Cadet

This is the part that always makes me double think his inclusion. The full effect of the hype train only recently really took off long after the roster was fully planned.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can't help but imagine how Skull Kid's move set will play out while I'm convinced it may not be anything like our suggestions. Sakurai is a brilliant man as what he accomplished with Pac-Man.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I can't help but imagine how Skull Kid's move set will play out while I'm convinced it may not be anything like our suggestions. Sakurai is a brilliant man as what he accomplished with Pac-Man.
This is one of the things I'm most excited about. I know that Sakurai will make the character justice by giving him a creative and original moveset that would make sense within his canon appearance. That's why I wouldn't like any move to come out of Hyrule Warriors. The team doesn't need to even look at HW honestly, they can pull it off by themselves I'm sure.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This is one of the things I'm most excited about. I know that Sakurai will make the character justice by giving him a creative and original moveset that would make sense within his canon appearance. That's why I wouldn't like any move to come out of Hyrule Warriors. The team doesn't need to even look at HW honestly, they can pull it off by themselves I'm sure.
I'd definitely want Sakurai to use his own imagination for Skull Kid.

Although I wouldn't mind the puppet move in Smash, seems like something that could be interesting

UserKev

Smash Champion
You know, I hope this sudden support for Skull Kid is genuine and not just some bandwagon thing.
It is. Skull Kid's sudden rise doesn't feel bandwagon and I can EASILY sense when hype is bandwagon-ed. Honestly, Skull Kid is fairly long overdo, has a massively appealing design and has freshly unique move set appeal to add to the roster.

You got it way backwards, bro.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It is. Skull Kid's sudden rise doesn't feel bandwagon and I can EASILY sense when hype is bandwagon-ed. Honestly, Skull Kid is fairly long overdo, has a massively appealing design and has freshly unique move set appeal to add to the roster.

You got it way backwards, bro.
I feel like *some* of it is definitely bandwagon; people like to think they're backing likely characters after all. But real talk, regardless of leaks, the likelihood clicked once I saw the Moon AT.

I feel like people sleep on how iconic Majora's Mask actually is, both game and the mask itself, and Skull Kid as a villain is no one-note either.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I feel like people sleep on how iconic Majora's Mask actually is, both game and the mask itself, and Skull Kid as a villain is no one-note either.
Majora is the most iconic and recognizable Zelda villain bar Ganondorf, as simple as that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I didn't have nor show much support for Skull Kid during pre-Smash 4 days, and up until recently still didn't for this one. I rather regret it, I think I had previously kind of forgotten how much I loved Majora's Mask as a kid. I like Wind Waker more, but MM still comes pretty close. I always thought so much of what was going in it to be really cool. And I really liked being able to reset time since it meant I could conveniently replay several events (including boss fights) without having to start a completely new save file and go through so many other things just to get to them, first. I guess you could say that the MM and Skull Kid fan within me has fairly recently been reignited. He's not exactly the character I want the most right now but I'd still be quite happy to see him. I can safely say that now.

Besides that, I've began to think of Skull Kid as being one of the most deserving characters at this point. His support base is pretty huge, and I'd think it'd be a serious shame if he missed out now, when so many other beloved characters are also getting in. I feel the same way about quite a few other characters. This is the Smash game where I think many noteworthy candidates should finally join the battle. And that absolutely includes Skull Kid.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
I tend to think Skull Kid/Majora's Mask are the most worthy contender for Zelda representation for a number of reasons. First and foremost, Majora's iconic status and game's popularity, that's endured the test of time and has such a large fan following that it got a 3DS remake largely because there was so much demand for it. Secondly, however, I feel there's a Skull Kid shaped hole in Zelda's representation. From early Melee, Zelda's representation has been modeled after characters that each had a significant role in the journey of the Hero of Time - who, while not having been in a Smash Bros. game since Melee - is arguably the most well known and iconic iteration of Link (welcome back, Hero of Time!). Each of the most important figures in Link's journey made the transition: Zelda, the eponymous princess in distress who orchestrates Link's adventure. Sheik, Link's mysterious guide and mentor throughout the frightening landscapes and trials of future Hyrule (bearing a significant resemblance to Impa). Ganondorf, the King of Thieves - Link's immortal enemy. And Link's young self, before his outset into the future. Even Navi is represented in taunts.

Every stage of the Hero of Time's adventure is chronicled, from the naive Kokiri wannabe, to the adult that stepped out of the Temple of Time into ruined Hyrule, to the mentor that guided him throughout that perilous land - as well as adulthood - all the way up to the final conflict of the three Triforce wielders. Of course, Link's conflict didn't end there, as he still had one more adventure left in him, involving an old friend going back to his childhood roots in the Lost Woods, a parallel world, and a villain possibly as formidable as Ganon himself.

Heck, even Sakurai thought this chapter of Zelda important enough to cover by giving Majora’s Mask two stages in Melee (Great Bay, Trophy Tussle 3), barring representing Skull Kid himself as an actual character (who was thereafter one of the most requested characters even since Brawl days). Yet for now, this important chapter of the greatest Link’s adventure remains untapped.

To me, Skull Kid also represents a bit of everything that's been asked for in a Zelda rep. As an old friend of Link, and bearing the fairies Tatl and Tael, he has that friend/partner status you'd want in a rep like Midna, Tetra, or Fi. As a villain, he represents the series' most recognizable foe behind Ganondorf, and probably one of the most unique villains in gaming. He represents the whimsy and weirdness of Legend of Zelda in ways you'd likely only find as completely in a character like Tingle (or Groose), with one of the best character designs I've seen for a gaming icon. He has the tragic fall from grace and sympathetic backstory of characters like Midna, Ezlo, or Ravio & Hilda, as well as their redemption arc (before any of them came around). He also represents two of the biggest motifs found in Zelda games - that of the dreamed adventure (Link's Awakening, Phantom Hourglass), and the parallel, bizarro-Hyrule world (Link to the Past, Oracles, Link Between Worlds). Not to mention, he represents the flavor and personality of what is arguably Zelda's most iconic locale, the Lost Woods. As well as simultaneously representing Zelda series' ubiquitous woodland races, such as Deku, Kokiri, Skull Kids, Koroks, and Kikwi. Isn't it weird that - out of all of Zelda's rich catalog of fantastic races - we only have one non-human Zelda rep so far, and that non-human is a Gerudo who looks exactly like a human?

Skull Kid is such a perfect, inspired amalgamation of all those ingredients that make Zelda unique, and an essential part of the Hero of Time's legacy, who founded Zelda representation in Smash Bros. in the first place. With Young Link back, it seems almost a shame not to let him fight his own old nemesis one more time (he never defeated Ganon in his young form, while he did defeat Majora). Given Skull Kid's/Majora’s Mask’s recurring status in the series, his role in concluding the Ocarina of Time saga, his enduring popularity with both fans and Nintendo staff, and widespread recognizability, I think he's something far more than a bandwagon character. Skull Kid is essential.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
I hope we get him in the next direct just to put speculation to bed. Don't want to wait till like November or something to find out if he's in or not.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
I hope we get him in the next direct just to put speculation to bed. Don't want to wait till like November or something to find out if he's in or not.
Isn't there going to be a September direct? Maybe we'll get something then

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Much speculated, but yet to be confirmed.

It makes sense though. They ostensibly have more games coming this year that they didn't announce at E3, so they'll probably want to reveal those sooner rather than later! Plus with the online service launching, they may want to talk about it.

When one gets announced, we want to see Sakurai retweet it. Then we'll know we're getting Smash content!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If they follow a similar directs pattern to last years then yeah, there should/could be one around mid September (13th last year) or something. (there was a nindies one on august 30th so it's been kinda similar this time )

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Much speculated, but yet to be confirmed.

It makes sense though. They ostensibly have more games coming this year that they didn't announce at E3, so they'll probably want to reveal those sooner rather than later! Plus with the online service launching, they may want to talk about it.

When one gets announced, we want to see Sakurai retweet it. Then we'll know we're getting Smash content!
I mean, we don't exactly need Sakurai to retweet it, since I feel it's a given to expect something Smash related when it comes to a Direct. (even if it's something small)

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I watched Terrible Fate for 20th time already. I was thinking how cool it would be if perhaps Sakurai could incorporate the trailer or even continue it for a reveal trailer for Skull Kid

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I mean, we don't exactly need Sakurai to retweet it, since I feel it's a given to expect something Smash related when it comes to a Direct. (even if it's something small)
During the lead-up to Smash 4, I believe we only got Smash news in a Direct if Sakurai retweeted it. I may be wrong though! Either way, it's no guarantee when we got a whole Smash Direct less than a month ago, unless he retweets it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I watched Terrible Fate for 20th time already. I was thinking how cool it would be if perhaps Sakurai could incorporate the trailer or even continue it for a reveal trailer for Skull Kid
That'd be interesting and sick. Now that I think about it, Skull Kid needs to reference the canon of Majora's Mask in his trailer to ultimately give it its spark. I'm imagining Mario, Peach, Bowser and DK at the end of the trailer, attempting to push as the moon is repeatedly landing against the ground and its incredibly hype.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm gonna make an off the cuff prediction and say that my gut feeling is that we will get a direct in September; Starting with Dixie or Bandanna Dee (Or BOTH???) and ending with Skull Kid

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I just stumbled across Skull Kid gameplay in Hyrule Warriors and let me just say.....

I hope they use his original voice actor.
Hyrule Warriors WAS his original voice actor (actress)

I think it's impressive that she sounded as good as she did in Hyrule Warriors given how long it had been since she had voiced him. I think the only problem I have is the filter was a bit off. But that was pretty much a universal problem with Hyrule warriors.

Interestingly, his Voice Actress is the voice of a character already playable in Smash Bros, Toon Link.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Hey btw Mr. Nintendo, you might consider throwing Theophany’s musical contributions on the front page under the videos. They composed two albums so far adapting music from Majora’s Mask, which were officially licensed with Nintendo and absolute masterpieces. Their work was actually used to score the Terrible Fate vid. They also did the soundtrack for Oxenfree, if you’ve played that. You can check out their work here:

https://theophany-rmx.bandcamp.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom