• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know if anyone kept track of this, but on the loading screen, only the following characters were present...

Mario
Yoshi
Toad
Daisy
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Wario
Koopa Troopa
Waluigi
Toadette
Peach
Bowser

Something tells me that the characters that were available on the E3 2013 demo ARE the starting characters, while the other confirmed characters are the unlockables.

D

Deleted member

I just saw the final 3 characters on todays MK8 direct. RIP Diddy and Bowser Jr. :(
Who were they?
EDIT: Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina? Really Nintendo?

Last edited by a moderator:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
For those of you who may still be unaware, we have ourselves a random Mario Kart 8 direct this morning. I welcomed it, and it was nice to see, but I would assume all of us would have preferred different revealed characters (I saw Baby Rosalina coming from a mile away). . . But I mean, what can you do? The game will still be great (and I use Luigi, anyway).

Perhaps the best information of this direct was around the ending when they revealed that if you redeem your Mario Kart 8 game on Club Nintendo from May 30th - July 31st, you will receive a one free-of-choice download code for the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3 or Wii Fit U! On top of that, the North American bundle is confirmed, and to be priced at $329.99. Nintendo is promoting this game in an excellent manner. Wii U's will be sold.

Edit: The new "Super Horn" item, in addition to its regular effects, also negates Blue Shells. Cool.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Wow, what a let down. I mean where's Baby Wario and Violet Titanium Waluigi? Totally dropped the ball Nintendo.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Someone, explain that Battle Mode to me, I am confused. :p

Also, not very keen on Pink Metal Peach (I like Metal Mario, though). But oh well, I already have my Koopalings~

LF2K

Floor Diver
They still might be hiding a few surprises. Don't count them out until the bitter end.

Still, "Pink Gold Peach"? What were they smoking? :confused:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Pink Gold Peach over Diddy Kong, Birdo, Bowser JR or even Kirby?

That is just very sad.
Remember that 'clones' are pretty much Always made (in both Kart and Smash, and other), when they don't have time to make brand new characters. If there was no Pink Metal Peach, there would most likely not have been Another character in her Place. Clones never replace anyone, they are added late in development to beef up the roster. ^^

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It was bound to happen sooner or later, and so far, it seems that we've got our final roster. Diddy and Bowser Jr. are probably crying for mercy right about now.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Remember that 'clones' are pretty much Always made (in both Kart and Smash, and other), when they don't have time to make brand new characters. If there was no Pink Metal Peach, there would most likely not have been Another character in her Place. Clones never replace anyone, they are added late in development to beef up the roster. ^^
While this is true...

I'd seriously rather have 29 characters in the roster than Pink Gold Peach as an added bonus. Ah well, the rage will eventually die and we can all focus on the amazing work done on carts, online and tracks, and in the end, that stuff is more important than characters in Mario Kart anyway.

LF2K

Floor Diver
One thing I've noticed about the online is now it seems you can't freely choose a course. There's 3 to pick from, plus random. I'm mixed about this. While choosing courses was great, it got annoying racing at the same place over and over again.

I'm also worried there's no online battle mode. They didn't mention it today.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
While this is true...

I'd seriously rather have 29 characters in the roster than Pink Gold Peach as an added bonus. Ah well, the rage will eventually die and we can all focus on the amazing work done on carts, online and tracks, and in the end, that stuff is more important than characters in Mario Kart anyway.
I'd rather have a extra character than not, haha. But oh well. As you said, they have been Amazing in many areas of this game, so let's be happy about that. A Pink Metal Peach shouldn't stop anyone from appreciating the detail of this game. :)

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Man, I was already pretty pumped for Mario Kart 8, but DAYUM did they got me hyped today. Youtube uploads, custom karts, custom tournaments and a free game to boot!

Pink Metal Peach is a quite hilarious choice of character though, I've got to say :p

D

Deleted member

I hope Smash will bring the same kind of video broadcast thing too.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Removing racers from older Mario Kart's and replacing them with metal/baby versions of existing characters is insanely stupid though.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I'm cool with Metal Mario, but Pink Gold Peach baffles me. Even her name is stupid.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Removing racers from older Mario Kart's and replacing them with metal/baby versions of existing characters is insanely stupid though.
They didn't 'replace'. But yes, just knowing that Pink Metal Peach and Baby Daisy are in the game but not Diddy or Bowser Jr (or Cranky... or Gadd... aww) does suck. But ah, I have my Koopalings. ^^

Game looks Amazing.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
They didn't 'replace'. But yes, just knowing that Pink Metal Peach and Baby Daisy are in the game but not Diddy or Bowser Jr (or Cranky... or Gadd... aww) does suck. But ah, I have my Koopalings. ^^

Game looks Amazing.
If there's no unlockable racers then clearly they were replaced.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
If there's no unlockable racers then clearly they were replaced.
Not at all. ^^ It is very possible characters like Diddy and Bowser Jr wearen't gonna be in the game anyways, as in, they never planned to. Or, they WERE gonna be in, but there wasn't time to make completely original models for those two, so easier-to-make clones like Pink Metal Peach were made. They didn't 'replace' anyone, they were just most likely what they had time to make, in the time they had.

I must say, I am very disappointed at the lack of Gadd. :(

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Perhaps the best information of this direct was around the ending when they revealed that if you redeem your Mario Kart 8 game on Club Nintendo from May 30th - July 31st, you will receive a one free-of-choice download code for the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3 or Wii Fit U! On top of that, the North American bundle is confirmed, and to be priced at $329.99. Nintendo is promoting this game in an excellent manner. Wii U's will be sold.

Wow, your game list sucks!

For Brits that list is:
Nintendoland (why would you pick this?!)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101 (one I don't have so probably my pick)
Zelda Windwaker HD
Sonic Lost World
Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games (I also don't have this, but don't care)
Wii Party U (also one I don't have, so considering this too)
Or Super Mario Bros U

I guess you've got Wii Fit U, but that was free with the fit meter anyways...

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
This game is gonna keep me busy for a long long time. I can easily wait for Smash with this beautiful game coming. My gosh I can't wait!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think the character select screen format was foreshadowing something when you looked at the positioning of the character icons. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, and Metal Mario, followed by Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, and Baby Daisy.

The final two slots seemed like they'd be related to Rosalina and Metal Mario, but an infant Rosalina and Metal Peach really came out of nowhere.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
IGN says that Nintendo has said that there's more New characters to be revealed in the future. So have hope! Pink Metal Para Dry Baby Waluigi is still possible!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Game looks amazing, but that roster is sooooo bad. No Diddy or Bowser Jr. is really stupid. Never really cared that much about Mario Kart rosters though, always mostly used the core characters, but man it's still really bad since it's just a bunch of clones. Hopefully there are more characters to be revealed.

Aside from that, as always the game looks fantastic.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So far the roster is relatively disappointing, for me.
The game looks really good though.
I hope you'll be able to turn certain items on and off like in smash.
Also I hope you can turn the coins on or off as an option...
Perhaps a double dash mode in the future? with specials and everything?! pls.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
IGN says that Nintendo has said that there's more New characters to be revealed in the future. So have hope! Pink Metal Para Dry Baby Waluigi is still possible!
From what I've heard, IGN tends to be rather ignorant, so I wouldn't be surprised if the roster count ends at 30 (Mii included) at this point.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
From what I've heard, IGN tends to be rather ignorant, so I wouldn't be surprised if the roster count ends at 30 (Mii included) at this point.
IGN are IGNorant, you say? I would never have guessed. :p

But yes, that is true. But it's still hope. Plus, Nintendo could simply be hinting at DLC.

Top Bottom