• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

BSP

Smash Legend
It's ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClSfAKVPLg&index=31&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

Just some villager vs. sheik.

I'm brining it up because I think we're (Mario) going to destroy villager MU wise. He can't camp us; we can reflect fair/bair and loid rocket; and unless he has a tree up, we can push him off the stage whenever we want. For his recovery:

If they try to recover like Pwing did, we cape the villager, which should force him up and away from the stage/ledge. He'll have to waste time turning back towards it, and we should be back on the stage by then. Problem for him is that he can't avoid going helpless after balloon trip unless he hits the ledge, which we're going to force him to miss. Even worse, he won't be able to do landing mix-ups because we can just FLUDD him past the ledge. So he comes to us for a free punish, or dies. I cannot wait for this.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I really want to use that Explosive Punch. Might as well call it Mario's Shoryuken. Look really good, though the distance was a little nerfed, it still goes decently far.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
It's ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClSfAKVPLg&index=31&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

Just some villager vs. sheik.

I'm brining it up because I think we're (Mario) going to destroy villager MU wise. He can't camp us; we can reflect fair/bair and loid rocket; and unless he has a tree up, we can push him off the stage whenever we want. For his recovery:

If they try to recover like Pwing did, we cape the villager, which should force him up and away from the stage/ledge. He'll have to waste time turning back towards it, and we should be back on the stage by then. Problem for him is that he can't avoid going helpless after balloon trip unless he hits the ledge, which we're going to force him to miss. Even worse, he won't be able to do landing mix-ups because we can just FLUDD him past the ledge. So he comes to us for a free punish, or dies. I cannot wait for this.
I agree. Cape absolutely destroys Villager's recovery; it literally only takes two swings to send him into free-fall, and we don't even have to worry about hitting him out of it (which would allow him to do it again) because Cape doesn't make you flinch.

And, unless my opponents have been doing something wrong, it seems like Villager gets hit by his Lloyd Rocket as soon as he tries to jump off it if we cape him while he's riding it. So, if he's at a high enough % and/or close enough to the blast zone, he dies. It's kinda hilarious.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yep, good old Usmash eating through nearly anything with good timing.

Man, all of the people talking crap about FLUDD are making me SMH. The first thing I'm going to do when I get my hands on a full version of the game is see how many recoveries it screws over and what we can get off of it.

Another thing I didn't think about was how the ledge invincibility revamp is going to help. Forcing people to the ledge for a second time without damaging them is basically a free hit now. If we push people off from a ledge jump, they need to land on stage or take a free hit while in ledge lag.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Tried to refer to brawl vids and got "brawl, doesn't matter"even though the move only got better in this game.

That being said, I wonder if interrupting get up attacks with it in smash 4 will stop the ledge invincibility from resetting.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I never thought it would happen because I prefer to use characters that are unlike Mario, in regards to not getting much screen time with Nintendo, but fate as it may have it has convinced me to side with Mario over the other plumbers like Dr Mario, Luigi, Wario.

I'm just better with Mario and he his color swaps cover all the said plumbers I mentioned, he has one of Wario and Waluigi, and he has one of Luigi which is the green one based off the cover art of Mario Bros, Mario can do it all, and that includes beating Dr Mario, I'm calling out Dr Mario right now, I'm going to use Mario and kick his butt.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mario was always my favorite Plumber though. He's no coward like Luigi. And he doesn't creep like Wario and Waluigi do. Then again, there's not much you can really do for character depth in Mario.

Though in Smash, I'm having trouble wondering if I should go with Mario or Doc Mario for my 2nd main. I mean, I know I'm sticking with Mega Man, he's fun as hell to use. But I don't know which Plumber is going to be a part of my Main 3.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Mario was always my favorite Plumber though. He's no coward like Luigi. And he doesn't creep like Wario and Waluigi do. Then again, there's not much you can really do for character depth in Mario.

Though in Smash, I'm having trouble wondering if I should go with Mario or Doc Mario for my 2nd main. I mean, I know I'm sticking with Mega Man, he's fun as hell to use. But I don't know which Plumber is going to be a part of my Main 3.
You must choose, are you with us, the Mario users, or are you against us, being a Dr Mario user?

Although in fairness there are some who use both as their mains.

Try using booth until you find the one you like using better.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You must choose, are you with us, the Mario users, or are you against us, being a Dr Mario user?

Although in fairness there are some who use both as their mains.

Try using booth until you find the one you like using better.
Yeah, that's what I plan on doing once the full game is in my hands. I'm gonna go a few matches with both online after that and see which one fits my style more.

BSP

Smash Legend
Do you guys think mario is going to be left behind as the balanced character?

For example, how are we going to fight little mac?

Or the extreme campers?

Swordsmen?

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Do you guys think mario is going to be left behind as the balanced character?

For example, how are we going to fight little mac?

Or the extreme campers?

Swordsmen?
Little Mac honestly is probably a fair fight.

Get him offstage, FLUDD, and Cape. That's a stock because his recovery is so predictable and onetracked and has no distance. Fortunately for Mario, Little Mac's optimal range is relatively close, where Mario actually can try to fight. Sure, it's not cool at all that Mario can't really punish Little Mac's tilts if they're spaced well and that he's food for land traps, but this is a matchup where Mario never worries about being gimped, and one where the potential to turn around the game with a gimp is extremely realistic.

So far, I want to say that Duck Hunt is probably the most difficult of the campers to deal with. Can control the air very well with his zoning, and his ground normals are better than Mario's.

Metaknight is probably hard, but beatable in this game simply because he's one of few characters that does less damage than you. His range and speed and KO power also is nowhere near what it was in Brawl, meaning you can actually trade with him 1 for 1 and not feel terrible. He still edgeguards you easily though.

Marth and Lucina are probably really annoying if they have the reactions to Up-B you out of your close range pressure. Your best chance at beating them is by trying to gimp their Up-B with N-air.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah, FLUDD destroys little mac, it s so funny. If you snipe his double jump with cape, he is essentially dead.

I got to play online yesterday and I I recorded some matches, namely FLUDD kills since so many people think it's useless. I'll post them in the video thread once they're on YouTube. I really wanted to fight a villager player, but I didn't run into any.

Co-signing on DHD being difficult. Great zoning and he can compete with us even if we re in his face.

Haven't done it yet, but we should be able to kill Marth and Lucina off of a blocked up B with FLUDD.

Last edited:

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
I don't have the money for a 3DS, much less ssb4. So my decision is to wait for the wii u version, and hopefully there's a bundle for the wii u and ssb4.

BSP

Smash Legend
MrMinus, if you're out there, good games.

Hadn't played a Mario, or a solid one at that, at all, so it was certainly an experience.
That was me! GGs. I should've went for more aggressive edgegaurds since FLUDD eliminates the "going over Mario's head option" for most characters, but i can't do retreating Bairs on a 3ds, and reverse Uair is hard too. Plus, I'm liable to up B the wrong way.

You made me want to find whoever counters little mac and second them. Dude is a pain in the *** when played smart.

I'm timing D3 out lol. It's a much more doable MU than Brawl, but still quite annoying.

Nobody uses Mario because he s same old, same old, except nerfed damage output. People also think FLUDD is useless.

Oh, it was my friend's 3DS btw. I still don't have one.

On that note, guys, Doc feels unusable to me. He feels like a tank compared to Mario. The first match I picked him instead of Mario, I got pitted against Rosalina who shot over my head each time I went for a cape. His running speed is also noticeable worse (and air speed?), so getting in is more difficult. Nott having FLUDD is quite annoying.

The tornado is an OK attack, but I still didn't feel like it accomplished anything that a grab/Dsmash/Usmash wouldn't.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I've been playing a lot of Little Mac and at first thought it would be really hard, but I just have to play careful and gimping him, when played properly, isn't something that's super easy. Though I will admit it was still pretty rough for me, haha.

I mained Dedede in Brawl and one of my training partners was 2Fast, a great Mario Main, and the matchup is very similar even without a chain grab/infinite. Dedede not having his old Bair makes it a liiiiiittle tougher for him since having a big body was bad in the match-up even in Brawl... But Dedede still had great stuff like F-tilt which he still has. I noticed you switch to using more fireballs over time and when Ftilt didn't clank with them like it did before I was like "****" haha

But yeah, definitely GGs! Had to stick around to learn more about Mario and dropped by here to give you props. Our connection was pretty good too, which was nice.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Doc is a bit clunkier than Mario but he's much stronker in terms of KO options onstage. I'd say get a handle on him AND Mario so you have two reliable characters with rewarding neutral.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Just going to throw this out there for all the Marios...

If any one of you are down for playing some matches, I can easily record and upload them. I'd love to get some games in with you guys! They don't have to be all Mario matches btw.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just going to throw this out there for all the Marios...

If any one of you are down for playing some matches, I can easily record and upload them. I'd love to get some games in with you guys! They don't have to be all Mario matches btw.
I'd take you up on that if I actually had the game...but I'll probably only buy it (for the Wii U) during the holidays.

As upset as I am with Mario's changes (not factoring customs), you can expect me to be around to show him off here and there.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
As underwhelming as Mario is in this game, I still haven't run into any matches that seem unwinnable or heavily in the opponent's favor. I fel like I can handle anything if I play smart enough.

Of course, my experience is mostly ransoms in FG mode, and most people aren't picking mario.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
As underwhelming as Mario is in this game, I still haven't run into any matches that seem unwinnable or heavily in the opponent's favor. I fel like I can handle anything if I play smart enough.

Of course, my experience is mostly ransoms in FG mode, and most people aren't picking mario.
That seems to be the general trend of Smash 4. Nobody in the higher tiers is nearly as bull**** as in previous games, and general mechanics are very forgiving. So basically the low tiers in this game are more like Brawl mid tiers in comparison while the top tier is a high tier.

Except Rosalina probably. **** that character and puppeteer nonsense. And looking at Yoshi's buffs just makes me smh and realize the bias is real. Even though the char is definitely pretty tame compared to top tiers from previous games.

By the way, I saw some of your Mario vids. Your gameplay is solid, uses most of Mario's moves in good situations, and does have some interesting strategies. If anything, it does seem to demonstrate that FLUDD is overall more practical for stage control and trapping than previously (seems to push back a bit more than in Brawl, which is pretty significant). Even just pushing people to the ledge with FLUDD is clearly useful, when being on the ledge is a pretty bad position overall in this game.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey guys, dropping in to say hi. It's been a while since I've been in here.

Anyway I plan on using Mario a bit on the side again this time around (He's a buffed up version of Brawl Mario; how could I not?).

Also:

Except Rosalina probably. **** that character and puppeteer nonsense. And looking at Yoshi's buffs just makes me smh and realize the bias is real. Even though the char is definitely pretty tame compared to top tiers from previous games.
You know, I'm trying to main her this time around and I can't disagree with you; she seems ********.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey guys, dropping in to say hi. It's been a while since I've been in here.

Anyway I plan on using Mario a bit on the side again this time around (He's a buffed up version of Brawl Mario; how could I not?).

Also:

You know, I'm trying to main her this time around and I can't disagree with you; she seems ********.
Brawl Mario was stronger than Smash 4 Mario. The main thing that really helps Mario is just that pretty much everyone got nerfed.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I got my ass whooped by a mariouser in for glory today . His name was something with 'faux' at the end.

Anyone who's visiting this forum?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Brawl Mario was stronger than Smash 4 Mario. The main thing that really helps Mario is just that pretty much everyone got nerfed.
Out of curiosity, what makes you say that?

Between system mechanics like the ledge changes which help his recovery, the added hitstun which makes him have combos and it looks like some extra range on most of his moves, I don't see what makes him worse.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Out of curiosity, what makes you say that?

Between system mechanics like the ledge changes which help his recovery, the added hitstun which makes him have combos and it looks like some extra range on most of his moves, I don't see what makes him worse.
Cape stalling is worse making Mario easier to intercept offstage before he can reach the edge, which was always where Mario was most vulnerable when recovering. Mario's recovery is worse and more gimpable in this game.

Extra hitstun? Really? People can still jump out of and interrupt your tilt strings. Mario's combos didn't get more reliable, and universal damage nerfs hurt Mario's damage output. U-air only does 7% in this game. So basically, you have to read people like three times to break 50% with Mario's combos in this game. Whereas in Brawl, two good reads could potentially put people past 60%. Brawl Mario worked considerably less hard to deal more damage.

Mario can't Jab cancel combo in this game, reducing your setup and KO confirm options furthermore. Smash 4 Mario is worse than Brawl Mario, and a bottom 5 character on default settings.

It is worth noting, MOST characters in this game got nerfed especially in terms of damage per hit, which makes the game overall more balanced. It's very difficult for most characters to do more than 9% on individual hits in this game, and typical throw combos only do about 15%. However Mario's combo game isn't nearly good enough to make him stand out from the general damage nerfs when it's still very unreliable. And overall he got more vulnerable to edgeguarding, and still can't kill as early as most characters while being bad in midrange.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I see.

I hadn't realized it was that bad, although admittedly 90% of my time so far has gone into Megaman, Rosalina and Pacman.

So yeah false alarm; I'll probably only use Mario in casuals then >.<

Last edited:

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys, i didn't see any thread that tell us to present ourself so here I am. I was a european Mario player in Brawl and I have decided to main Mario since the trailer of SSB4 no matter the changes he would get.

I hope I will have good times sharing and discussing here :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I see.

I hadn't realized it was that bad, although admittedly 90% of my time so far has gone into Megaman, Rosalina and Pacman.

So yeah false alarm; I'll probably only use Mario in casuals then >.<
Mario's edgeguarding seems to be slightly better in this game. FLUDD pushback was buffed from what I've observed, so Mario does seem to have more offstage playmaking potential. Not to mention FLUDD can be used to just simply push people to the edge, which then lets you gain stage control against camping. But other than FLUDD gimmicks...yeah. Mario just really isn't good on default settings, and I mostly am really angry at professional players who tried to claim he was buffed.

Mega Man seems like Bowser, in that he probably has some really good and really bad matchups. His gameplan is amazing, until you pick things that easily ignore it. Palutena probably beats him, and she's not as solid of a character as him on default settings.

Pac-man seems like he's potentially OP, except his grab appears to be a tether grab and thus he can't really scare you in footsies. Just his camping looks so good when he has like a million and a half ways to escape traps easily and can attack from many angles viably. Like...Fire Hydrant is just...yeah. There's probably a reason he has a tether grab when I think of it that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom