• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

BSP

Smash Legend
We all know :mario2: will not return in SSB4

Xiivi quit trolling

Anyway, I hope that he's good this time around. Though if the cast is balanced this time, that should be a given.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Now to discuss something: FLUDD. Should it stay, but be given tweaks, or be removed entirely?

BSP

Smash Legend
Fludd is just too situational in its current form. Unless it's given some tweaks to improve Mario's recovery (rocket or hover nozzle), it needs to go entirely.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Just give Mario a recovery move plz.

Mario + good recovery = top tier.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is a Pichu thread, but not a Dr. Mario thread?

Edit: Also no D3 thread, but he isn't relevant to this thread

BSP

Smash Legend
Mario's height in relation to the rest of the cast needs to be increased too. I know he's short, but it's really been costing him in the range department. It's pretty easy to see that from Melee to Brawl he actually got smaller, which effectively cut down on his range.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I agree with the range. Mario was a smallish character, yeah, but when he attacks his body contorts to enlarge parts and hit people easier. the range nerf really hurt him overall. with FLUDD, the major problem was that it was just only doing the job of cape-it didn't add anything new to him. they should find a way to incorporate other forms like the the Hover and Turbo Nozzles to make it more useful.

one last thing I would like them to consider is bring back his Uppercut-walljump cancel. granted it was a glitch and VERY hard to do, but it did give a neat enhancement to Mario simlar to the Falcon Kick/Wizard foot resets.

BSP

Smash Legend
Anything to help his recovery would be a good addition imo. Wall jump cancel SJP would be great.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It is odd that Mario's horizontal recovery is lacking, especially when he's supposed to be a balanced-type character.

BSP

Smash Legend
It's also odd that so many people can jump higher than him. He's jumpman...

BSP

Smash Legend
Luigi is a given, that's his thing: jumping higher than Mario.

And he's no spider man, but he's still supposed to be an insane jumper. That's one of the things he's known for.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
i think that they should make mario have different skins so that he can look likle Dr. Mario, just like what they did for wario with his biker and normal skins

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is a given, that's his thing: jumping higher than Mario.

And he's no spider man, but he's still supposed to be an insane jumper. That's one of the things he's known for.

Mario is supposed to be a skilled jumper when it comes to platforming and traversing areas not a super man of jumping this is why to me atleast he has some of the best aerials in the game and its very easy to capitalize when you have someone in the air.

Also I hope they make Mario look more galaxy like and possibly smile atleast ONCE throughout he always looks so serious

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
His recovery really isn't that bad guys. :p

But on the terms of FLUDD, I'd really enjoy having different nozzles, but if they decide not to keep it it's whatever.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
They should replace the F.L.U.D.D with Mario starspin because I see alot morr applications for that than the F.L.U.D.D or like XeroXen said give it different nozzles

Also if there is final smashes in sbb4 (which most likely will happen ) then I hope they improve Mario's it was too easy to Dodge.

BSP

Smash Legend
Should it be changed, or should they just fix the Mario finale? IE make it faster with bigger hitboxes and better trapping properties.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I don't like the idea of starspin though. Right now his Dair is still his spin move from Melee, which I prefer. If they can't rework FLUDD I'd like to see something else, maybe based off of one of the New Super Mario Bros games.

Mario Finale is eh, it's not that bad when you utilize the initial hitbox that is right next to Mario, because usually it will at least carry one person to a blast zone if you weren't too far away. It's definitely not a great final smash though. I'd scrap the final smash entirely though, and replace it with something way more awesome.

There's always the giant mushroom. But that's a bit generic.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
This may be a long shot but try to keep an open mind how bout this for a final smash universal Mario.

When Mario goes universal he changes into his many several powerups ie:tanooki,fire,ice,rock etc he can still take damage but just can't flinch when he's in these forms his attacks are improved to the corresponding powerup making him faster stronger etc.

When player hold b it releases his actual special obviously this would be timed about the time and trasnfomation of wario man

I know this is a bit out there and 95% of me knows it not going to get in but I'm just wondering what are your feedback on this.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why can't Mario's final smash just be the Star Power up? It's his strongest power-up after all. Sure the starman is already an item... Then Mario can use the the Rainbow star from the galaxy games instead. He can ram into his opponents like Super Sonic except he cant fly but he can increase his running speed and jumping height... Oh and it wont be so annoyingly long like Super Sonic's.

That's what I would suggest for a Final Smash... :/

BSP

Smash Legend
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I wouldn't limit his jumps though. We already have FSs like Wario-man and Super Sonic who can go wherever they please without fear of dying.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I wouldn't limit his jumps though. We already have FSs like Wario-man and Super Sonic who can go wherever they please without fear of dying.
Well fine then. I just thought that giving him the ability to double jump as well as the Up-B jump may overpower him too much but okay.

I guess I'm still kinda new with the whole competitive and balanced thinking I'm afraid... ^^

BSP

Smash Legend
The balance stuff is a great idea, but this is a FS we're talking about. FS's are supposed to be over the top and rewarding.

BSP

Smash Legend
Actually, I'm with Xero. As long as you're not fighting :metaknight:, if you mix up your cape, fireballs, and Djump, I think Mario can make it back to the ledge just fine (assuming your DI is good)

I'm never opposed to recovery improvements though, because in terms of sheer distance, Mario still has a pretty short one.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Mario's down B could be the nooki shell or hammer from SMRPG. It could be quick, do 9-11% damage and have good knock back to give him another kill move. Also, I know this won't happen, but I wish they would bring back his V for Victory taunt. It really was his signature thing for a long, long, long time.

BSP

Smash Legend
Nintendo will probably shy away from a hammer since Kirby, DDD, and ICs all rock one atm. Can they take things from SMRPG?

Brawl gave us two additional taunts. Maybe we'll get a fourth and he'll get his V.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nintendo will probably shy away from a hammer since Kirby, DDD, and ICs all rock one atm. Can they take things from SMRPG?

Brawl gave us two additional taunts. Maybe we'll get a fourth and he'll get his V.
Well, the company never strayed away from the sword users, so I doubt giving Mario a hammer would hurt. On the other hand, Paper Mario uses hammers a lot more.

BSP

Smash Legend
Swordsmen are different. When they add a swordsman, they add a completely different character who's sword game is different from other swordsmen. All of them in Brawl are completely different.

Specials are supposed to be unique aren't they? So I can't see them giving normal a hammer when 3 other characters use them already.

Paper Mario maybe, since he could rock the super/ultra hammer techniques.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That sounds reasonable enough. Anyway, I did mention the Star Spin replacing F.L.U.D.D., which could aid Mario in his recovery.

In other words...

Mid-air Jump + Cape + Star Spin + Super Jump Punch

BSP

Smash Legend
The Star Spin could actually do more. If it had primarily vertical knockback + a rising animation, it would give Mario a move to KO off the top while in the air besides Dair. I kinda hope they scrap the Mario tornado dair for a drill kick again, especially if he gets the star spin.

BSP

Smash Legend
Let's hope so. Unless Nintendo decides to become the biggest troll in history.

Top Bottom