• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The Mario Tornado could be a Center Aerial.
The problem with doing that is while the drill kick is back, he loses his nair sex kick. It's also still the half-*ssed imitation of the d-special which lacks the ability to extend his recovery.

Really, most of his old moveset is important and needs to be kept.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Can someone just drum up a quick picture of Patrick Star?

Why don't we take Project M Mario, and push it over into Smash IV?
Cause we don't know exactly what the new engine is going to be like in SSB4. Sure the Doc was in C tier in Melee, but what are the gravity physics, hit stun, etc.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I dunno why but, Mario just dosen't feel right in Brawl with him being all serious; he needs his good ol' smile from the Mario games.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
You know somtn ..... mario hasn't used that cape recently?
hows about replacing it with the racoon tail?
Of caurse it would do the same thing but still?

:phone:

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Well outside of his fighting mechanics, I thought of so things pertaining to Mario & other characters, but for the sake of this postit will primarily be about Mario, Now alot of people complain about clonesin the games, but at the same time want characters like Paper Mario or Dr. Mario to show up whichwould take up alot ofinventory space on the character selection screen, soI would for Smash 4 classify Mario as a Triple Character which means Mario himselfwould have one spot on the character selection screen butif you select him & say forinstance used the L/R Button once you selected him Youwould switch to Paper Mario, again & youwould have Dr. Mario, soit's 3 characters sharing once spot with their ownindividual moveset & so on, then youwould use another set of buttons say select to color change the character. Standard regular fireball throwing Mariowould have his Up-B button that will be called 1-Uppercut, which generally will be the same move asit’s always been, butif done successfully a 1-Up mushroom will appear & will move across the screen &ifitis capturedit brings the damage counter to 0% orifin stock matchesit will give one extra stock.) PlusI agree to whoever added tha FLUDD should have his hoover & maybe his rocket things too

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I agree Mario should stop being so pissed in Brawl. He is never like that in his games.

Moveset-wise, FLUDD needs to be removed or more useful.

On ground: FLUDD squirts out water like usual but actually causes damage and knockback. If fully charged and by some chance (like Luigi's side-B) he will do a KO ball of water.

In air: FLUDD transforms into the Hover Nozzle in which Mario can utilize. Depending on how much FLUDD is charged, that will tell how long Mario can utilize this nozzle. When the water is all out Mario will fall to his doom.

In air but going upwards: I believe Mario's Up-B should be replaced by the Rocket Nozzle. His regular Up-B isn't entirely useful.

I also think if FLUDD didn't disappear shortly after charging him he could be more useful. If you use Mario's spinning down-air attack while FLUDD is attached to you FLUDD will spray water like he does in Sunshine.

Mario's regular moves should be replaced by other moves from his actual games. There's A LOT of Mario games there is no excuse for it. Mario's jab is taken from Super Mario 64 as well as his Down tilt. Mario's down-B/down air are taken from Super Mario Sunshine (I think). Super Jump Punch is just his regular-ol' jump but enhanced. Cape is from Super Mario World. FLUDD is SMS.

But they could replace his sex kick with Star Spin from Super Mario Galaxy.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
In air but going upwards: I believe Mario's Up-B should be replaced by the Rocket Nozzle. His regular Up-B isn't entirely useful.
But they could replace his sex kick with Star Spin from Super Mario Galaxy.
as far as the Up-B thing goes, we use it for coin spiking dont we?

and the sex kick is nesesary for edgeguarding fox and falco that like to side-B on to the platform without clinking the moves together.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Mario's move set should obviously be upgraded he's had since 64 literally his move set comes from supermario64 and 3 other games they should try to mix it up a little

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Get rid of his down special. F.L.U.D.D. is horrible.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I don't think they should get rid of FLUDD, but they should make it function more like in Super Mario Sunshine instead of charging it so that Mario can shoot water for a very short amount of time. FLUDD isn't a bad idea, it was just poorly added to Mario's move set.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I don't think they should get rid of FLUDD, but they should make it function more like in Super Mario Sunshine instead of charging it so that Mario can shoot water for a very short amount of time. FLUDD isn't a bad idea, it was just poorly added to Mario's move set.

This times 1000. His Melee moveset(with a little Doc thrown in for good measure) is about as good as he can get.
^
what shinpichu said

BSP

Smash Legend
Actually, I agree with Veggi. FLUDD certainly has potential, but it was just implemented poorly.

@Mechawave - Up B is somewhat useful as a shoryuken-esque attack. You can use it to blow some stuff up. It would be more notable if it had a little bit more invincibility imo.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the range. Mario was a smallish character, yeah, but when he attacks his body contorts to enlarge parts and hit people easier. the range nerf really hurt him overall. with FLUDD, the major problem was that it was just only doing the job of cape-it didn't add anything new to him. they should find a way to incorporate other forms like the the Hover and Turbo Nozzles to make it more useful.

one last thing I would like them to consider is bring back his Uppercut-walljump cancel. granted it was a glitch and VERY hard to do, but it did give a neat enhancement to Mario simlar to the Falcon Kick/Wizard foot resets.
Mario's actual height in the real world would be 5foot lol he's taller than sonic xD

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
holy crap thats tall! how tall is bowser and why is he able to kidnapp such a tall princess?
Bowser's height depends on the developer's mood.

Uh, but yeah. If Mario's 5 foot tall and Peach is way taller than him... Maybe it's the exposure to mushrooms?

Muhti

Turkish Smasher

I agree, F.L.U.D.D should be Mario's Up-B.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think FLUDD should be a stance type move, but rather that's actually doable depends on what they're going to do with next game. If there's more freedom for the number of specials, I can see him getting the FLUDD as a weapon change of sorts. Otherwise, I can't see it happening really.

Diversity

Smash Rookie
Judging from past re-imagining of certain moves from Nintendo characters (IE Brawl Link's Boomerang, Mario's FLUDD, Falco's shine shield, etc.) I get the feeling that something with Luma from the Galaxy series is going to make it's way into Mario's Smash 4 moveset... Also, BRING THE DOC FIST BACK!

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
I think FLUDD should be a stance type move, but rather that's actually doable depends on what they're going to do with next game. If there's more freedom for the number of specials, I can see him getting the FLUDD as a weapon change of sorts. Otherwise, I can't see it happening really.
I could see it happening if they implement standard fighter controls, but I doubt it since that would quite different from their old formula. (Still would be nice nonetheless.

Judging from past re-imagining of certain moves from Nintendo characters (IE Brawl Link's Boomerang, Mario's FLUDD, Falco's shine shield, etc.) I get the feeling that something with Luma from the Galaxy series is going to make it's way into Mario's Smash 4 moveset... Also, BRING THE DOC FIST BACK!
^This. I would love to see Luma jump out of Mario's hat like in Galaxy. That would be a nice touch, maybe make that an invisibility frame for that special before Mario ends up in a free fall if it is his UpB. Also, he needs more Doc power in the game with his smashes.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I fairly certain that Mario will receive his star spin from the Mario galaxy games or atleast an improved F.L.U.D.D

Personally I believe Mario should change his fighting stance to homage the Mario and Luigi series hopefully super saga it should look something like this

This is the best I could find but you get the idea

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I could see it happening if they implement standard fighter controls, but I doubt it since that would quite different from their old formula. (Still would be nice nonetheless.
Considering that they're looking to go in a new direction, there is room for that possibility. Virtua Fighter type controls could work in a Smash game outside of attacks requiring a back input (i.e. qcb, back, and down back inputs).

RedGamer

Smash Ace
whoa. last night I just came up with the greatest f***ing idea for a revised moveset for Mario. it pretty much buffs FLUDD to be more useful, so I'll explain:

-with Down B, Mario Brings out FLUDD, but what it does is change his specials into a FLUDD mode.

-his neutral B is the spray nozzle like before, and like Squirtle's neutral B it can be charged to go farther.

-his Side B is Turbo Nozzle. he sprays a quick shot behind him to make him rush at a target for a dash attack and approaching. best example I can think of is Ike's Quick Draw attack.

-Up B is Rocket Nozzle. this move shoots him higher then his Super jump Punch, but straight up instead of Diaginally. if the opponent is next to the exaxt moment of blast, it can spike.

-the Hover Nozzle gives Mario a Float,kinda like Peach's.

-hitting Down B again removes FLUDD and changes mario back to normal.

-his basic attacks and smashes are still the same, but in FLUDD mode Mario falls faster and cannot walljump.

I REALLY wouldn't mind seeing something like this.
This was the best FLUDD suggestion yet. do not screw this up HAL/Nintendo/Namco-Bandai/Sakurai! If they don't do this (which they probably won't) they should just do the starspin as a variation of the mario tornado. Make it act just like the melee tornado with slghtly more vertical gain to aid in recovery.

as far a luma, I think it would be better as a taunt or somthing. he takes the luma out of his hat just like he did in galaxy after gettin a star.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If a FLUDD stance change were implemented, I'd like to see it done via one of his taunt buttons(or some other input, maybe a+b) so it doesn't get rid of any of his specials. Or have FLUDD mode be an alternate "EX mode" selectable before the match. Edit:This EX mode thing really opens a crapton of possibilities.

Also: Woohoo! 100 posts! 100 more and I get a free sammich. Or so I've heard.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
This was the best FLUDD suggestion yet. do not screw this up HAL/Nintendo/Namco-Bandai/Sakurai! If they don't do this (which they probably won't) they should just do the starspin as a variation of the mario tornado. Make it act just like the melee tornado with slghtly more vertical gain to aid in recovery.

as far a luma, I think it would be better as a taunt or somthing. he takes the luma out of his hat just like he did in galaxy after gettin a star.
You know i was always disappointed that mario couldn't do his butt stomp, but now that galaxy's influence is pretty much a must, then it doesn't seem impossible?
Does anyone remember the starspin stomp?
Imagine if the starspin worked pretty much like the tornado but once you use it in air he gets a boost upward automatically(like in galaxy) and if you repeatedly tap B mario starts to spiral inward (like in galaxy)and then shoots down feet first with unbelievable priority?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Did Mario's cape actually deflect stuff in Super Mario World?
Ya know like his Spin Move deflects stuff?
Both those moves are being used incorrectly in Smash Bros! ( Unless of course the cape DID reflect stuff, I dunno I never played it outside of the Brawl Demo)
I'd rather see his more modern spin move be used to deflect stuff.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Did Mario's cape actually deflect stuff in Super Mario World?
Ya know like his Spin Move deflects stuff?
Both those moves are being used incorrectly in Smash Bros! ( Unless of course the cape DID reflect stuff, I dunno I never played it outside of the Brawl Demo)
I'd rather see his more modern spin move be used to deflect stuff.
It did reflect certain things like baseballs, footballs, and shells if I remember right.

Top Bottom