• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@BSP: Don't get me wrong. The Star Spin can also be used for offensive purposes. I'm just merely saying that it could help in Mario's recovery too.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
whoa. last night I just came up with the greatest f***ing idea for a revised moveset for Mario. it pretty much buffs FLUDD to be more useful, so I'll explain:

-with Down B, Mario Brings out FLUDD, but what it does is change his specials into a FLUDD mode.

-his neutral B is the spray nozzle like before, and like Squirtle's neutral B it can be charged to go farther.

-his Side B is Turbo Nozzle. he sprays a quick shot behind him to make him rush at a target for a dash attack and approaching. best example I can think of is Ike's Quick Draw attack.

-Up B is Rocket Nozzle. this move shoots him higher then his Super jump Punch, but straight up instead of Diaginally. if the opponent is next to the exaxt moment of blast, it can spike.

-the Hover Nozzle gives Mario a Float,kinda like Peach's.

-hitting Down B again removes FLUDD and changes mario back to normal.

-his basic attacks and smashes are still the same, but in FLUDD mode Mario falls faster and cannot walljump.

I REALLY wouldn't mind seeing something like this.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
One of my biggest complaints about Mario is how...

angry and frowned he looked in Brawl overall, compared to these:

In Brawl, he doesn't even shout any sort of Wahoos or Here We Go's like in Melee.

I can't remember any moment where he smiled at least once in Brawl. Not a single one.

Maan, he felt so out of character, unlike Luigi who was sorta kept though I dunno why he was scared of Waddle Dees (c'mon Luigi, aren't they more of cuddly than "scary"?)

Revven

FrankerZ
I doubt Fludd will even be in the next Smash as his Down B. Sakurai's going to want to represent the latest games for each franchise to begin with. FLUDD isn't recent, Star Spin or whatever the hell it's called is recent in both NSMB and Galaxy games. There's no reason he won't put it in the game. He'll get a new Dair again and it'll pale in comparison to the ones from 64 and Melee somehow.

Those are my predictions. He won't change him much at all and if he does, it's for the distinct engine differences between the Smash games. (Brawl -> Smash 4)

It'd be nice to have him go back and give Mario some traits Dr. Mario had. The good traits, like the Doc Fair. Combining the two characters has proven to be amazing in Project M... sadly Sakurai won't take any cues from it so w.e.

BSP

Smash Legend
whoa. last night I just came up with the greatest f***ing idea for a revised moveset for Mario. it pretty much buffs FLUDD to be more useful, so I'll explain:

-with Down B, Mario Brings out FLUDD, but what it does is change his specials into a FLUDD mode.

-his neutral B is the spray nozzle like before, and like Squirtle's neutral B it can be charged to go farther.

-his Side B is Turbo Nozzle. he sprays a quick shot behind him to make him rush at a target for a dash attack and approaching. best example I can think of is Ike's Quick Draw attack.

-Up B is Rocket Nozzle. this move shoots him higher then his Super jump Punch, but straight up instead of Diaginally. if the opponent is next to the exaxt moment of blast, it can spike.

-his basic attacks and smashes are still the same, but in FLUDD mode Mario falls faster and cannot walljump.

That's a pretty cool idea. Mario with double the specials.

The neutral B version of Fludd should have less charge time too imo

But as Falco said, the Star Spin will probably oust FLUDD

@Horsetail - I think he was so serious in this game because the SSE was supposed to be epic or something
:phone:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So Make Mario Happy and Shout WAHOO!
Keep the extremely detailed Overalls.
If FLUDD is implemented make it equippable. Down B equips it and charges it and Down B again takes it off. If Mario's wearing it and its charges his B attacks are changed to FLUDD attacks such as Hovering or Spraying.
Make his Fireballs Range Longer.

BSP

Smash Legend
The FBs need to be faster too. If they autocancelled upon landing after Mario shot them, that would give him some legit pressure with his fast close quarters game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
One of my biggest complaints about Mario is how...

In Brawl, he doesn't even shout any sort of Wahoos or Here We Go's like in Melee.

I can't remember any moment where he smiled at least once in Brawl. Not a single one.

Maan, he felt so out of character, unlike Luigi who was sorta kept though I dunno why he was scared of Waddle Dees (c'mon Luigi, aren't they more of cuddly than "scary"?)

Remember this Mario and how all-over-the-place his character was? I mean, this Mario was quite violent and showed lots of reckless bravado, willing to go into a huge group of enemies when he saw Bowyer, or even wanting to punch a child (Gaz) in the face when he said "he [Mario] needs all the help he can get". Yes, Mario's personality is usually happy and cheerful, but we shouldn't be surprised when we see him in a different light every once in a while. I mean, in Mario Party 5, he has a giant statue of himself holding up an ice cream cone. How narcissistic is that?

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Mario is never given a clear personality. He's just the Hero, and that's about it. He helps people and all because he's the Hero.

But all other than that, his personality is actually vague, you'd have to overthink a lot to figure out how Mario actually is.

BSP

Smash Legend
You could call him the strong silent type because he never talks in Paper Mario or in the Main series of Mario games outside of his wahoos and stuff.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
You could call him the strong silent type because he never talks in Paper Mario or in the Main series of Mario games outside of his wahoos and stuff.
I never bothered about Mario's personality in the different appearances he's made. He's just there, saving the princess, kicking some koopas, and enjoying himself while doing so.

But further than that, I really don't care. Mario is awesome already from the things he's capable of doing.

BSP

Smash Legend
I mean, I agree. Mario is Mario, it's kinda hard to dislike him completely.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
In Mario and Luigi super saga they spoke in fake Italian and jumps.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yes, but that gives you no insight into Mario :p

And outside some conversations, he never really talks.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Changes I would like to see for Mario

1.) I think Mario should have the ability to pick a power-up before the match and then activate it by taunting, which would just show him tossing it out and be very quick. If he taunts while he is already powered up he just looks around in his pockets and then shrugs. He gets the power-up available to him again every time he loses a stock, but he loses it when he takes 50% after the point he activated it. I thought what they did with the metal cap in Brawl - was really cool. It could definitely be expanded upon.

2.) His dash attack should do more damage, go farther and hit people away from him and with more knock-back.

3.) FLUDD has a really long lasting stream that can be aimed more flexibly and he also doesn't have to charge it. It just shoots for a while and then stops, then it can be used again a few more times until it runs out of water. The water is refilled every time he loses a stock or he touches water. He can also run while shooting water.

4.) His neutral b is replaced with the Luma Spin that spins enemies around, making it so they will do the move in the opposite direction, making its use for spoiling recoveries just as useful as the cape. It also reflects solid projectiles (as opposed to Ness, Lucas, G&W that only work with energy projectiles.) When he uses this move in the air, he gets a boost upward. This move has no hitstun and hits people away from him, so people will not get their up b back if you hit them. If you press down while performing this move in the air, you while home in on the nearest target below you and do a lot of damage. The delay before the attack is useful for making the opponent below you mistime their anti-air. If you perform it on the ground and press down it will hit low with Mario's foot. Giving it shield poke potential.

5.) His new up b is the hover nozzle that pushes people downward slightly if it hits them and it has no hitstun. If you up b on the ground, it's the same one he has in Brawl.

6.) If you hold the jab button, he releases a steady stream of flame right in front of him that hits constantly. Similar to the way Pit's two types of jabs work.

7.) Forward smash is a very strong hammer like in Mario RPG games.

8.) His new side b is whatever power you picked. Certain powers would not have all their abilities activated by side b though. For example you would hold jump to hover like the tanuki and you can glide with the cape by holding jump. Fireballs would be much better than they are in Brawl btw. They would be bigger, faster, and last longer too and you would be able to shoot two right after each other.

9.) His down air is his ground pound. It is used as both an attack and a way to get to the ground faster.

10.) Mario can crawl. If you run and then crouch, you will slide. It would help him a lot with projectiles in the same way it helps with projectiles in his 2D games. If you are crouching and get hit, you will take half damage and won't move. If you tap up after pressing down, you will do a back-flip. If you tap down, then up while running you will do a long jump. If you are running and press back and then jump, you will do a side flip.

13.) Down smash is stronger.

14.) If Mario footstools someone it does 20% and has a lot of hitstun.

BSP

Smash Legend
2.) His dash attack...
For the strong hit, sure. I like that the late hit combos into Usmash most of the time, so I'd keep that.

3.) FLUDD...
Sounds good, but I wouldn't like the idea of totally losing FLUDD if the stage doesn't have any water. What if you could control how long it shot by holding B?

4.) His neutral b is replaced with the Luma Spin
That all looked good, but I'd personally prefer if it did some damage. He's already got FLUDD that does no damage.

5.) His new up b is the hover nozzle
Why not Rocket nozzle?

7.) Forward smash is a very strong hammer like in Mario RPG games.
I doubt Fsmash is going to change. A hammer would be a nice disjoint, but I don't see it happening when other characters use hammers while Mario's Fsmash is somewhat unique.

9.) His down air is his ground pound. It is used as both an attack and a way to get to the ground faster.
That'd be cool

10.) Mario can crawl. If you run and then crouch, you will slide. It would help him a lot with projectiles in the same way it helps with projectiles in his 2D games. If you are crouching and get hit, you will take half damage and won't move. If you tap up after pressing down, you will do a back-flip. If you tap down, then up while running you will do a long jump. If you are running and press back and then jump, you will do a side flip.
Mario should have been able to crawl in Brawl lol. IDK about the half damage, that sounds like it'd have to be a general thing.

13.) Down smash is stronger.
Amen

14.) If Mario footstools someone it does 20% and has a lot of hitstun.
I wish lol

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

I had a similar idea since last year.

Anyway, what I would want is to make Red M speak a little more. He was lacking his memorable quotes(Okey Dokey) and some really good, unique ones as well(Here we go, again, Again?). And his tone needs to be higher.

Also, I axe one of those taunts(his Death Animation from Donkey Kong) in favor of a better taunt(Hey, Stinky!).

He also needs more fire power.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Sounds good, but I wouldn't like the idea of totally losing FLUDD if the stage doesn't have any water. What if you could control how long it shot by holding B?
Oh yeah, definitely. I forgot to specify that. It would only shoot until it ran out if you held it down. Well, I wanted it to be so that if used semi-conservatively, it would last the entire stock.

That all looked good, but I'd personally prefer if it did some damage. He's already got FLUDD that does no damage.
It would do damage, just no hitstun.

Why not Rocket nozzle?
Because the hover nozzle is default in Sunshine and it's more creative imo than the rocket. It would also be more practical because with the rocket Mario has to drop while it charges. They're both cool though.

I doubt Fsmash is going to change. A hammer would be a nice disjoint, but I don't see it happening when other characters use hammers while Mario's Fsmash is somewhat unique.
Yeah, true. I like his fsmash in Brawl.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice

I don't know. It's kinda f***** up hearing Mario say Waahoo after hitting his woman.

BSP

Smash Legend
I had a similar idea since last year.

Anyway, what I would want is to make Red M speak a little more. He was lacking his memorable quotes(Okey Dokey) and some really good, unique ones as well(Here we go, again, Again?). And his tone needs to be higher.

Also, I axe one of those taunts(his Death Animation from Donkey Kong) in favor of a better taunt(Hey, Stinky!).

He also needs more fire power.
I agree, he could have a better taunt than the DK death thing.

When you say fire power, you mean literal fire powers? Or more power in general?

Because the hover nozzle is default in Sunshine and it's more creative imo than the rocket. It would also be more practical because with the rocket Mario has to drop while it charges. They're both cool though.
IDK, Diddy has to drop on his rocketbarrel, and that actually protects him from being edgehogged most of the time. Hover nozzle can work though.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I agree, he could have a better taunt than the DK death thing.

When you say fire power, you mean literal fire powers? Or more power in general?
The former. After seeing the FireBrand in Superstar Saga and having fire as his specialty in the many spinoffs, I want to see more emphasis on his pyrokinesis.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah, for being the Fire guy, he actually has the same amount of fire moves as Luigi in Brawl.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
what about his aerials? My mario game is basically attacking with aerials.
Personally, I prefer the air attacks!

:awesome: Falco Referance!

his U-air should totally be kept like i was in brawl, but bring back his drill kick from melee.
the forward air should spike when above your opponent, but be like doc's fair in melee.
I'm thinking his nair should be more like his fair from ssb64.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm fine with Nair being the sex kick, but it needs to have melee strength (12%). There was no reason for Mario to get nerfed from Melee to Brawl.

Uair is a combo machine, I'd be fine with it being unchanged.

Fair should do like you said; spike if you sweetspot, act like Doc's if you don't.

The only problem with another Drill Kick is that if Mario's Dair becomes a drill kick, he has no aerial move with vertical knockback aside from Up B. That's not good <_>

RedGamer

Smash Ace
if they replace fludd with the starspin, then they can give mario doc's drill kick from melee

another thing...don't make mario's back throw so vertical!! eww. it makes me shudder. sorry for the double post. I forgot about the editing tool.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
another thing...don't make mario's back throw so vertical!! eww. it makes me shudder. sorry for the double post. I forgot about the editing tool.
Yeah, I thought the plumber who threw King Koopa into bombs would have a better back throw. >_>

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I don't know why people want drill kick.

Mario's Dair in Brawl is sooooooo much better than drill kick ever was. (Granted, Drill Kick probably would've been more useful than it was in the other games because of the change in the mechanics of the game)

I really don't want a spinning special again. :/

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd be more than happy to see FLUDD scrapped and the tornado/star spin/whatever brought back. Spin attacks/jumps are part of Mario's moveset in a number of games across the series, while FLUDD was useable in just one.

There were some ideas I had in the Doc thread about how FLUDD could stay, but his classic moveset could come back as well.

Idea 1: Bring back Doc and give him the best parts of Mario's moveset.
Idea 2: There's a concept in a couple fighters called an "EX mode", where single characters can have multiple selectable movesets. (For an example see the more recent revisions of Guilty Gear XX)

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Just because he has spin moves in multiple games doesn't mean he needs it back. Mario's spin special was always almost useless and was close to being the least interesting special in the game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Just because he has spin moves in multiple games doesn't mean he needs it back. Mario's spin special was always almost useless and was close to being the least interesting special in the game.
It was definatley more useful than F.L.U.D.D. ever was. The tornado was an important part of his recovery.

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't know why people want drill kick.

Mario's Dair in Brawl is sooooooo much better than drill kick ever was. (Granted, Drill Kick probably would've been more useful than it was in the other games because of the change in the mechanics of the game)

I really don't want a spinning special again. :/
In 64, the drill kick was a staple for combos and it could psuedo spike

Can't it combo into Dsmash in melee if you L-cancel?

If he got a drill kick back and it functioned like Wario's Dair, I think I'd take that over the Mario tornado we've got now.

Top Bottom