• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey why does Mario not have a stomping technique like Bowser, Dedede, Yoshi, etc..? It is his original attack and it his how he dispose most enemies and much more than jumping up into them (like his up special).

I think that Bowser had a ground pound first. In Super Mario 3 to be exact. And Yoshi first got his in Yoshi's Island. Mario started to use one in Mario 64, which was a few years later. But I think Mario used one the most. Then again, Ground Pounds are sort of common in platformers.

Thought it is an iconic attack that he could use none the less. But the question is whether or not he'll have any moves to replace to make room. Can't be FLUDD, we know that he's keeping that as of now. And if it gets swapped, it could get replaced with something from Mario Galaxy, like the Spin attack.

If you are talking about regular jumping on stuff, that might be a little hard to pull off in a fighting game. Hence why Mario has the Super Jump Punch, it's a means to represent his main ability in his games.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I was referring to where he jumps on objects. Its almost backwards to his Super Jump Punch. Now its kinda pointless to add something like that since its being used by so many characters.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Combo.gif

Here's a gif of Mario's neutral combo. I think I'll make more once I have the chance.

Last edited:

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I think the ground-pound would have been a solid down b attack. Offensively speaking of course.

But seriously, down b should have been the hover nozzle. It could have even functioned like the regular fludd, but pushing enemies down, sort of like an inverted game and watch up air. That would have made Mario pretty deadly. Recovery and edge guard options problem solved.

Last edited:

MelchizedekVD

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-4632-2309
I just wish they would give Mario a hammer.

Yeah, I get that quite a few guys have one (Dedede, Kirby, Ice Climbers), but to me the hammer is one of the stables of Mario and Luigi. I mean the black one from Mario and Luigi games in particular. Any Mario RPG fans agree? I'm sure it could work itself in well.

Now if only they would remove FLUDD.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I just wish they would give Mario a hammer.

Yeah, I get that quite a few guys have one (Dedede, Kirby, Ice Climbers), but to me the hammer is one of the stables of Mario and Luigi. I mean the black one from Mario and Luigi games in particular. Any Mario RPG fans agree?
I fully support this idea. It's pretty much his main weapon in two popular spin-off series (aside from power-ups and jumping) - the only time he has ever actually used punches in a main game is in Mario 64 as far as I am aware.

Unfortunately, it seems pretty unlikely that the hammer would get incorporated since Sakurai hasn't shown much interest in changing up the veterans' movesets so far. But who knows, we still have quite a bit of time before release.

Last edited:

MelchizedekVD

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-4632-2309
I think the ground-pound would have been a solid down b attack. Offensively speaking of course.

But seriously, down b should have been the hover nozzle. It could have even functioned like the regular fludd, but pushing enemies down, sort of like an inverted game and watch up air. That would have made Mario pretty deadly. Recovery and edge guard options problem solved.
Definitely agree here. Both are characteristics of Mario that can easily blend in well with the fighting nature of the game. And like the hammer, it's more memorable and purposeful than a lot of his current set.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Mario fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. The characters from the Mario universe that are on the poll include any that were in Brawl previously or which are newcomers to Smash 4. The locks for the (extended) Mario universe so far are Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi. Peach, Bowser, Diddy Kong, Wario, and Rosalina all need some more support before they can break into the area of "locks". I would be really, really grateful if you'd take a little time out of your day to do this short poll. Thanks ahead of time!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yeah, I guess you're right :p
I'd like to see Dr. Mario as a separate character anyway, but I think Sakurai said somewhere that he's cutting down on clones (good thing overall).
I'm definitely hoping for a Dr. Mario costume at least. If Little Mac got wireframe, then Mario deserves Doc.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Mario and Luigi seem kind of underwhelming compared to the rest of the characters that are getting buffs. I know we won't know anything concrete until we give the game a try, but right now it seems like Mario Bros are underwhelming

Jackson

Smash Lord
Mario and Luigi seem kind of underwhelming compared to the rest of the characters that are getting buffs. I know we won't know anything concrete until we give the game a try, but right now it seems like Mario Bros are underwhelming
Agreed. We haven't seen a crazy buff to their moveset like some others.

ibmutt

Smash Cadet
I can't see an image gallery thread so I'll post the following here. Mario seemingly has two frames before he can execute an input. Mario's frame window was 3 frames, 4 frames and 5 frames in SSB, SSBM and SSBB respectively.

Last edited:

ibmutt

Smash Cadet
I can't see an image gallery thread so I'll post the following here. Mario seemingly has two frames before he can execute an input. Mario's frame window was 3 frames, 4 frames and 5 frames in SSB, SSBM and SSBB respectively.

My frame analysis was wrong. I checked the fps for the video on 4 separate programs and it's 29.97 on every one except the video editor I was using which said 60 fps. Youtube doesn't even support 60 fps yet apparently. This means for example, the 2nd picture is actually 2 frames after the second instead of 1. Sorry for wasting your time and anyone else's.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am considering the notion of maining Mario in Smash 4. I have never been entirely interested in his character, but move-set customization might be his saving grace. The giant fireball and dragon fist have me really interested. I am going to give him a shot in Smash 4.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I am considering the notion of maining Mario in Smash 4. I have never been entirely interested in his character, but move-set customization might be his saving grace. The giant fireball and dragon fist have me really interested. I am going to give him a shot in Smash 4.
He's actually very fun to use due to his diversity and freedom. My favorite main character in a fighting game.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
it sucks that costom move sets won't be in for glory or for fun. but its understandable that dragon fist was ******** strong looking Xd.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Some poor sap posted this on Gamefaqs getting all excited how you can grab in the air (before being harshly brought back to reality) but still, it shows Mario's pivot grab range. Guys pulling a DDD here

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Look at the height that Mario's Custom Up-B (which I nicknamed the Comet Jump Punch) gets during the Custom Movesets part of the SSB4 Direct. Why can't that be his normal Up-B. That would be so amazing. But make him a bit OP.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm really surprised no one has pointed out how good Mario seems to be. His moves are unchanged, but it seems that water-based attacks have been buffed to stun (like Piplup did in Brawl), as shown by Pac-Man's hydrant, which might apply to FLUDD too. Mario seems faster, stronger, seems to have better range, and he combos like mad. Perhaps he'll be back to his Melee/64 glory days.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I'm really surprised no one has pointed out how good Mario seems to be. His moves are unchanged, but it seems that water-based attacks have been buffed to stun (like Piplup did in Brawl), as shown by Pac-Man's hydrant, which might apply to FLUDD too. Mario seems faster, stronger, seems to have better range, and he combos like mad. Perhaps he'll be back to his Melee/64 glory days.
Hoping so. He wasn't good at all in Brawl. His fireballs seem better too. Do they do more damage?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I just realized that Red M STILL has those terrible Brawl Vocal Bytes. He should sound more lively that this!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's the recorded version of the Roundtable. We get to see what variations of Mario's Special Moves are. Like the fast Fireball, Fire Uppercut, and Scalding F.L.U.D.D. This customization reminds me of what we just saw with Mortal Kombat X. Where's 3 different versions of each fighter. Since each option is very specific, I wonder if tournaments will allows these options.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I had no idea that they were going to have the customization move sets for the main characters as well. That is really going to lengthen the potential and possibilities in this game. Looking good so far.

Dark_Wolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5258-0774-1382
What I think they should do to my main Mario: If the fludd is coming back for sure and it probably is because there's footage of Mario using it in ssb4, in my opinion at LEAST give the character your facing some damage like 4-7% and make have a good knock back or push. I want to see all of Mario moves used as a utility and potential in this game because in brawl, I used every move in his move set a lot, and rarely used his fludd (used it for fun). So if fludd is coming back 100% then please make it completely more useful because I hate when a move is not used at all, or even used rarely. If they want to put back his normal b-down spin attack and Dair, drill move, I wouldn't be happier because his spin attack was good for recovery and his drill for combos.

Top Bottom