• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well this post is gonna be a bit of a long one, but here's what I'd want to change/buff for Mario.

The obvious would be giving Mario a Down-B similar to his old one, or a spin attack like the Galaxy games. What I really want from Mario is a buff for his Fireballs and Super Jump Punch. I can see the Fireball move being buffed by shooting two in rapid succession, like in some of the Mario platformers. Or at the very least make the bounces a little less wonky. And an increase in range can be good too. Not too sure if I'd want to buff damage up though, its not too necessary, but I wouldn't mind it. And his Super Jump Punch, I just want it to have more range that's all. Oh and buff the damage and knockback of the Mario Finale a good bit too, I like it as a Final Smash and all, but it does need a bit more power honestly. As for Mario's A-moves, I'd just want his dash attack to be buffed just a little bit, I think it needs more speed to it. Maybe the same could be said for AAA combo too. And for Mario's Smash attacks, I'd personally want the Down-Smash and Forward Smash to get some more knockback after landing the hit on an opponent.

So would anyone want to change the power or the properties of the Cape? What I mean is, what improvements can be made with that move? I can see an increase in horizontal movement in mid-air but that's about it really.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well this post is gonna be a bit of a long one, but here's what I'd want to change/buff for Mario.

The obvious would be giving Mario a Down-B similar to his old one, or a spin attack like the Galaxy games. What I really want from Mario is a buff for his Fireballs and Super Jump Punch. I can see the Fireball move being buffed by shooting two in rapid succession, like in some of the Mario platformers. Or at the very least make the bounces a little less wonky. And an increase in range can be good too. Not too sure if I'd want to buff damage up though, its not too necessary, but I wouldn't mind it. And his Super Jump Punch, I just want it to have more range that's all. Oh and buff the damage and knockback of the Mario Finale a good bit too, I like it as a Final Smash and all, but it does need a bit more power honestly. As for Mario's A-moves, I'd just want his dash attack to be buffed just a little bit, I think it needs more speed to it. Maybe the same could be said for AAA combo too. And for Mario's Smash attacks, I'd personally want the Down-Smash and Forward Smash to get some more knockback after landing the hit on an opponent.

So would anyone want to change the power or the properties of the Cape? What I mean is, what improvements can be made with that move? I can see an increase in horizontal movement in mid-air but that's about it really.
I don't know, Cape seems fine, at least in skilled hands. One of Mario's better utilities over other characters is disrupting recovery with the Cape to gimp them. A little better range seems to be all that's needed.

Totally agree on the buffs, especially Mario Finale. Its so laughably weak. Probably the weakest Smash in the game overall for what it does. I mean at least Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers disrupt the stage.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't know, Cape seems fine, at least in skilled hands. One of Mario's better utilities over other characters is disrupting recovery with the Cape to gimp them. A little better range seems to be all that's needed.

Totally agree on the buffs, especially Mario Finale. Its so laughably weak. Probably the weakest Smash in the game overall for what it does. I mean at least Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers disrupt the stage.
Well, I don't think Mario Finale is the weakest Final Smash, I find that it still has it's uses. I say that goes to Jigglypuff with the lack of actual damage and being near useless on bigger stages. That and, I managed to get quite a few K.O.s with the Mario Finale with my experience with Mario. It's still better suited smaller stages as well, and if it doesn't KO, it'll at least do damage. Though the move does need a good damage buff, knockback buff, and perhaps a bigger hitbox too.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well, I don't think Mario Finale is the weakest Final Smash, I find that it still has it's uses. I say that goes to Jigglypuff with the lack of actual damage and being near useless on bigger stages. That and, I managed to get quite a few K.O.s with the Mario Finale with my experience with Mario. It's still better suited smaller stages as well, and if it doesn't KO, it'll at least do damage. Though the move does need a good damage buff, knockback buff, and perhaps a bigger hitbox too.
Yea, but all Final Smashes kinda suck on large stages anyway. I agree that Jiggly's is pretty bad, but AoD for a decent period of time can be useful I suppose. Mario's is super easy to dodge and doesn't even KO a lot of the time if you don't. It has a "push" effect like Isaac's assist trophy, but its knockback kills that by knocking them out of the flames sometimes. Bigger hitbox is the biggest buff, and it should knock enemies towards the center of the flames, not away from them.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't go with so drastic a change as to give him double fireballs. If you look at Porject M, you'll see that Mario does really well with a few subtle changes. The other changes sound good, though.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm going going to assume that like Link,Mario's moveset will be altered a bit depending on the latest game from that series. So I think Mario down+b might be Galaxy related.
Either he gets his Melee down+b back through the use of the at spin-jump that he does in the Galaxy games or he can get a move similar to the FLUDD and shoot star bits. Or maybe Mario may even get something inspired by his latest 3D mario game.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd like FLUUD a bit more as a move if it at least dealt some damage. It doesn't even have to be alot. Or maybe act as a recovery in mid-air.

BSP

Smash Legend
Fireball looks like it's still pretty bad. Only 5% for how slow it is >_>
Usmash does 14% uncharched
Grounded Cape did 8% and reverses like Brawl Mario's Cape
Dsmash did 15% uncharged
Fthrow did 9%
Late Dash Attack did 7% and appears to be really safe on hit. Megaman shot into the air after getting hit by it.
Soft Nair did 5%
Fsmash non-angled did 17%
Fair might be a tiny bit faster on startup, but it's hard to tell

Yeah, even a lot of these numbers are the same from Brawl. I would be scared, but it seems like Knockback has been increased in general, so it should be fine.

iMichael

Smash Lord
When it comes to his attacks, he looks exactly the same from Brawl (may have a different FS)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I imagine that the game is still being developed on to a certain degree. So there's still a chance that Mario can be tweaked. Not to mention that this could be the first time that a Smash game can possibly add patches that other fighting games tend to have.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have no idea what's the deal with the new section... I assume someone tried to create a "Confirmed Characters" section and add Mario but flubbed it. So, someone in the main forum noted that edgegrabs seem to be more similar to Melee than Brawl... this might bode well for the effectiveness of Mario's cape reversal!

BSP

Smash Legend
Not someone, some staff member. I'm pretty sure normal members can't create forums.

Anyway, on the edgegrabs, we to see the extent of ledge grabbing range.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mario looks and moves smoother. Love the art style of this game. The characters are so bright. Hope Mario gets a better FS, the trainer as a similar one with greater range and at least just as much power if not more.

He still has the Fludd. Looks like it could push much further from the graphics, but it missed Megaman during the versus battle.

grizby2

Smash Lord
im gonna take today to list down attacks stats from the Mario vs mega man video. %'s , knockback direction. ect...
and then compare them to brawl and if time allows melee. this should be fun :p i'll post it later!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Grounded fireballs have way longer range (or move faster, can't tell). Up-B looks like it has the same vertical height. Nobody angled it but I'm sure that's still possible.

Mario appears to move way faster through the air.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Overall, I think that it's safe to say that Smash 4 is going to be more of a Melee weight game. Mario is usually the one with the balanced stats; and his fall speed reminds me more of my Project M friendlies than Brawl. It's so floaty there.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Mario has a lot of power ups. He can get a brilliant and amazing moveset as Megaman's. Sakurai is doing interesant thinngs to the gameplay. Mario won´t feature the fludd because this represents mario sunshine. The game that was out there when sakurai was developing ssbb. Now he has a lot more options to choose moves and attacks.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mario sure does show a lot of hilarious facial expressions in the trailer.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Overall, I think that it's safe to say that Smash 4 is going to be more of a Melee weight game. Mario is usually the one with the balanced stats; and his fall speed reminds me more of my Project M friendlies than Brawl. It's so floaty there.
Yeah, the fall speed is definitely there, though it looks like they still haven't added momentum when jumping, so it still looks somewhat floaty.

BSP

Smash Legend
Grounded fireballs have way longer range (or move faster, can't tell). Up-B looks like it has the same vertical height. Nobody angled it but I'm sure that's still possible.

Mario appears to move way faster through the air.

Ok, but I'm more worried about the stun on the FBs. They still don't look safe on hit.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder how well the cape can work in mid air now. Super Jump Punch looks a bit faster.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
When it comes to his attacks, he looks exactly the same from Brawl (may have a different FS)
Chances are he's directly ported over from Brawl, with his Smashes and fireball worked on. I think the other special moves aren't final.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Chances are he's directly ported over from Brawl, with his Smashes and fireball worked on. I think the other special moves aren't final.
Every character is being worked on from their Brawl version, considering they ported the engine over it'd be easiest to edit them from their old versions, even Bowser who has had such a big rework. You can also see it with Fox, Pikachu, Link, Donkey Kong and Kirby.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Every character is being worked on from their Brawl version, considering they ported the engine over it'd be easiest to edit them from their old versions, even Bowser who has had such a big rework. You can also see it with Fox, Pikachu, Link, Donkey Kong and Kirby.

Well, do you personally think that Mario will have more of his moves reworked like Bowser and Pit have? I can see it happening. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was simply given an improved version of his Brawl moveset. And the only thing I can see being changed drastically is the Down-B, but that just might be improved upon too.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Even though we've seen it used on the ground, there's still a chance that it was given the hover mode in the air.

Did we see the FLUDD being charged? There's also a chance that it is automatically replenished now like ROB's laser.

Those are really the changes I'd want to see... Also I wouldn't mind if you could glide with the cape if you hold down the side+B in the air, that could be fun.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, do you personally think that Mario will have more of his moves reworked like Bowser and Pit have? I can see it happening. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was simply given an improved version of his Brawl moveset. And the only thing I can see being changed drastically is the Down-B, but that just might be improved upon too.
Improve upon the down-B and give him some overall buffs and I think he has a very solid moveset. Bowser is getting reworked because there was no way to fix him with that past hitbox of his, and Pit is getting reworked because of his new game. Mario's problems simply lie with his overall damage, knockback and utility, which can be fixed by simply tweaking some numbers. They're probably not gonna rework characters just for the fun of it, the reason some of them are getting reworked is because they need to do it, not just to do something new.

Falco, Luigi and Ganondorf are most likely also receiving reworks, and Lucas, Toon Link and Wolf are probably too if they aren't getting cut.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Improve upon the down-B and give him some overall buffs and I think he has a very solid moveset. Bowser is getting reworked because there was no way to fix him with that past hitbox of his, and Pit is getting reworked because of his new game. Mario's problems simply lie with his overall damage, knockback and utility, which can be fixed by simply tweaking some numbers. They're probably not gonna rework characters just for the fun of it, the reason some of them are getting reworked is because they need to do it, not just to do something new.

Falco, Luigi and Ganondorf are most likely also receiving reworks, and Lucas, Toon Link and Wolf are probably too if they aren't getting cut.

I like the way you think. I personally don't want Mario to change too much myself. But some basic buffs would be nice to see. As for improving FLUDD, what do you think we'll see in terms of said improvement? It already looks to have more knockback than before, but I can't be completely sure just yet. I would personally give it similar properties to Fox's Blaster, but slower. In that FLUDD will do damage, but won't physically stun the enemy, that way it can still push back mid-air recovery attacks with out resetting the attack. Granted it would have to do very little damage, say somewhere between 5% and 10%. The down side would be that the move would leave Mario open for a counter-attack if poorly timed. As some have suggested, in Mid-air, FLUDD could act as a recovery attack of sorts.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I just really hope that Mario is FUN. Some combination of all 3 of his iterations would be awesome. I loved him in smash 64 and melee (not really brawl so much, but i didn't like brawl as a GAME so perhaps that is why).

I loved how his fireballs FELT in smash 64, i really hope they feel good to throw in this game, and I really just hope he's... Fun.

His moves certainly LOOK nice - those effects make him look faster (without necessarily being faster) and I hope that he can do some combos as well.

Looking forward to giving Mario a shot!

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
a couple of things i wish to see of mario changing though its unlikely; his up b should change to the rocket FLUDD from mario sunshine which would help his recovery but seeing super jump punch kinda already deconfirms any changes to that. also his down b should be the spinning attack from mario galaxy. it could function similarly to mario tornado where he gains some vertical height. just some things i think would make mario better.

Top Bottom