• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 16: MYM 17 Starting June 1st

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
Yeah, but none of my sets got ANY VOTES AT ALL. Heck, I'm starting to wonder whether anyone even read them! Hardly anyone said anything about Roy after I posted him, which I find just completely insulting, and I swear that nobody had any feedback AT ALL for my Lucina moveset!.
Well frankly it's because they weren't very good sets. I can't speak for everyone (though I'd imagine they share my sentiments), but they all seemed rather poorly thought out. But you want feedback, so here it is.

For Roy, I question if you put any actual effort into making an original moveset. Everything in it is basically a generic sword move with maybe a fire effect, or just his moves from Melee/M with minor, minor alterations. There's no playstyle that I can see, and overall it just doesn't seem like you put any thought into it. The best section is the specials, if only because it's the only one where the descriptions are longer than like 2 lines. Even then, they amount to "the specials from Project M" and a counter that isn't a counter and doesn't fit Roy at all. I understand that it's your first set, but put some effort into it. Don't just slightly change the moves/copy them from other fan movesets and then be offended when it's not voted for. It's a bad set, that's the bottom line, sorry to say.

Not to mention, though this is slightly off topic, you pestering people for comment on the set/posting the damn thing like 5 times even when you're told explicitly not to doesn't make us want to comment on it, let alone vote for it.

Now, Lucina. I am going to assume that you don't actually play Fire Emblem, as you seem to have no idea how any characters from that series fight. Even if you had a perfect grasp of their playstyle, however... when the hell does Lucina kill Chrom in Awakening? That doesn't happen, it's Robin who does that. Second, again, you're basing moves on other characters or mods or whatever instead of actually making your own original content. I haven't seen this Lucina brawl mod, but based on this side smash it wasn't a very good one. The up special isn't even close to anything Lucina can do, and I don't know why you gave it to her. Overall, however, this set has a lot of the same problems as Roy. It lacks a cohesive playstyle, it gives the character moves that don't make sense, and for those that do they're usually just edits of moves they have in actual Smash games. And, just like Roy, the set isn't very good for those exact reasons.

Chrom is terrible. The weapon switch mechanic is poorly thought out and, as previously stated, didn't fit the character even a little bit. Chrom uses Falchion, that's his whole schtick. A weapon switch mechanic is like giving a weapon switch mechanic to Shulk. Even if the mechanic fit, the different "kits" are lopsided. It's not that any one is better than the others, it's that they're all equally poor. None of them are coherent in terms of playstyle, a problem seen in your other sets, and they're all, again, generic and lack any sort of characterization.

Nobody voted for your sets because they were not worthy of any votes. People will vote for a set that they think deserves recognition for its quality. So, if a set lacks quality, which Roy, Lucina, and Chrom do, don't expect votes. So the problem isn't that nobody read your sets, it's that we did and thought they weren't good. Hell, even if you expected to get votes, don't complain when you don't get any. It comes off as petty, childish and kind of annoying.

The only advice I can give you is to just grow up. Learn from your mistakes, take advice into consideration, and actually listen to people who criticize you. And, you know, make sets for characters you actually know stuff about, instead of doing guesswork with Fire Emblem characters.

Remember, you wanted feedback.

Last edited:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
So I read Aban Hawkins, IvanQuote, and I don't think its totally without its neat qualities, I like that you're willing to do more creative stuff like the dart shooting block on the smashes. That said, I feel like the set is kind of misled in that it likes to use the traps from his game as a part of his character, when it really feels painfully awkward to have him use those things. He wasn't the one who set up those labyrinths, its very illogical for him to suddenly start using them himself. Even Pac-Man you can vaguely justify the ghosts because they're tied so heavily to his iconic status and he has nothing else to use other than different awkward props. Aban actually has a knife and yes a set entirely of knife attacks probably would end up pretty boring, but he has a whip and whatnot for variation at least. It doesn't feel really logical in any way shape or form on him to just have this adventurer suddenly take out the block that was shooting at him on his quest and throw it at the opponent.

Oh and here's a bunch of characters I'd like to make sets for in the future, maybe not MYM17 specifically though I intend to at least half of them that contest. We'll see how things work out.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
So I read Aban Hawkins, IvanQuote, and I don't think its totally without its neat qualities, I like that you're willing to do more creative stuff like the dart shooting block on the smashes. That said, I feel like the set is kind of misled in that it likes to use the traps from his game as a part of his character, when it really feels painfully awkward to have him use those things. He wasn't the one who set up those labyrinths, its very illogical for him to suddenly start using them himself. Even Pac-Man you can vaguely justify the ghosts because they're tied so heavily to his iconic status and he has nothing else to use other than different awkward props. Aban actually has a knife and yes a set entirely of knife attacks probably would end up pretty boring, but he has a whip and whatnot for variation at least. It doesn't feel really logical in any way shape or form on him to just have this adventurer suddenly take out the block that was shooting at him on his quest and throw it at the opponent.

Oh and here's a bunch of characters I'd like to make sets for in the future, maybe not MYM17 specifically though I intend to at least half of them that contest. We'll see how things work out.
Okay, so to take his spike attacks for instance, instead of him pounding the ground to purposefully make spikes hit the opponent, it should be like the spikes are popping out of the ground for the sake of hitting him, but they just so happen to hit the opponent as he hurriedly gets out of the way, similar to how Duck Hunt Dog is not actually in control of the blaster in his smash attacks and is startled as the hunter's shots narrowly miss him and hit the opponent?And in general, when taking things from a character's universe into account, try to keep it in context as much as possible (eg. Just because Goomba's are in Super Mario Bros, you would never see Mario or Luigi summoning Goomba's to attack opponents)?

Thank you very much for the criticism!

Last edited:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Well truth be told, I'm not a fan of how Duck Hunt Dog's set executes this stuff either(I found it a really tacky way to incorporate the character, how it all works just feels wrong to me so I don't think a set executed similar to Duck Hunt Dog would be one I would enjoy). Just think of how the character operates and what would make sense for them to use, and if you have doubts if you should use this particular prop or ability that's not directly theirs, you probably shouldn't use it.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Yeah, but none of my sets got ANY VOTES AT ALL. Heck, I'm starting to wonder whether anyone even read them! Hardly anyone said anything about Roy after I posted him, which I find just completely insulting, and I swear that nobody had any feedback AT ALL for my Lucina moveset!
Chrom is a different story entirely, and while only 1 person said the weapon-switch doesn't fit Chrom, I still feel ashamed of myself for even making the moveset at all.

OK, now I've finished my rant, I can go onto my plans for movesets I am for certain going to make for MYM 17.
The first ones I feel confident with are definitely the Mutant Creatures from the Mutant Creatures Mod in the game Minecraft. After I saw Munomario's Steve moveset, I was inspired even more to make these; however.
I am not planning them to be normal smash fighters.
Think of them as mini-bosses. After I make the movesets, don't shout at me saying that 'OMG what if someone went into a tourney with the Mutant Enderman and wrecked everyone because he's unbalanced', because that's not the point.

Mutant Creeper Plan
It does not have a dash.
It can turn around in midair, referencing Minecraft where you can instantly turn around whenever you like, meaning there is no back air.
It can climb on walls, and even the ceiling; for a short amount of time obviously.
Being able to climb on walls, to compensate he cannot grab ledges. The climbing on walls part was more compensating for him not being able to grab ledges actually, since his model would look very strange trying to grab the ledge.
It can turn around during grabs, meaning there is no back throw.
Its neutral and side specials are exactly the same. This is present with all of the Mutant Creatures actually. Don't yell at me for being lazy, as long as a moveset seems like it will turn out well for a character the amount of attacks in the moveset doesn't matter.
Once you have used one move, there is a 1 second cooldown before you can use the same move again. However as the moves have hardly any end lag, the Mutant Creeper is known to pull off strings of attacks to rack up lots of damage in only seconds, and as the regular moves have such low knockback, you can still combo people even at high percents.

Mutant Zombie Plan
It's actually been quite hard to even think of a plan for this guy.
It has full super armour (it does not take any knockback but does take damage) until it is above 40% damage, then it turns into partial super armour, which is like the super armour from Snake's Cypher and Yoshi's Flutter Jump; if the attack is strong enough, it will deal knockback. The Mutant Zombie's heavy weight helps him a ton (see what I did there? Heavy weight, a ton? OK I'll stop now). The super armour stops after 150%, resembling the 150 health he has in Minecraft.
It does not have a shield. This is present in most of the Mutant Creatures.
It has a roll, but not a sidestep.
It can grab ledges and can jump off walls, but can't cling to them or climb them.
Its specials are all just variations of the same move. For example, its up special has it jumping up, his neutral/side special is it hurtling forwards, and his down special has it flying over the ground. Of course, you don't know what the move actually is yet, but if you play Minecraft and are familiar with the Mutant Creatures Mod you should be able to guess.

Mutant Enderman Plan
The Mutant Enderman has super armour until 200%, representing the 200 health he has in the MC Mod. However unlike the Mutant Zombie the super armour is always partial, and doesn't have a 'complete invulnerability' period.
It has a high resistance to hitstun. The hitstun it takes from moves is half of what you would normally be inflicted. This means it is more likely to be able to teleport back over to the stage after being sent flying.
It has no shield, but it does have a sidestep and roll, which are of course all to do with teleporting.
Rather than having its teleport as its up special recovery, instead its neutral special is a teleport that can be done in any direction.
It has separate neutral and side specials, unlike the other mutants.
It doesn't have aerial attacks. It functions exactly the same in the air as on the ground... meaning it can also turn around in midair, like the Mutant Creeper. It can also use smash attacks in the air.

Mutant Skeleton Plan
Be prepared for an arrow inspired moveset...
It has super armour that stops at 150%, and it is always partial, never fully invincible.
It has a roll, but no shield or sidestep.
Its Neutral Attack and Side Tilt are the same attacks, and they can knock back the mutant zombie even in its indestructible period, as it has a fixed amount of knockback.
Like most of the Mutant Creatures, he doesn't have separate neutral and side specials.

I think that's pretty much all for now...
I would appreciate you posting what responses you have to these idea plans.
That's pretty clever. Many people have made "3v1 bosses", which are intended to be put up against a team of 3 normal characters.
I'm especially glad to see you make something from something you're familiar with. You stated that you've never played a Fire Emblem game, and it really shows in your sets.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Yeah, but none of my sets got ANY VOTES AT ALL. Heck, I'm starting to wonder whether anyone even read them! Hardly anyone said anything about Roy after I posted him, which I find just completely insulting, and I swear that nobody had any feedback AT ALL for my Lucina moveset!
Chrom is a different story entirely, and while only 1 person said the weapon-switch doesn't fit Chrom, I still feel ashamed of myself for even making the moveset at all.

OK, now I've finished my rant, I can go onto my plans for movesets I am for certain going to make for MYM 17.
The first ones I feel confident with are definitely the Mutant Creatures from the Mutant Creatures Mod in the game Minecraft. After I saw Munomario's Steve moveset, I was inspired even more to make these; however.
Think of them as mini-bosses. After I make the movesets, don't shout at me saying that 'OMG what if someone went into a tourney with the Mutant Enderman and wrecked everyone because he's unbalanced', because that's not the point.

Mutant Creeper Plan
It does not have a dash.
It can turn around in midair, referencing Minecraft where you can instantly turn around whenever you like, meaning there is no back air.
It can climb on walls, and even the ceiling; for a short amount of time obviously.
Being able to climb on walls, to compensate he cannot grab ledges. The climbing on walls part was more compensating for him not being able to grab ledges actually, since his model would look very strange trying to grab the ledge.
Its neutral and side specials are exactly the same. This is present with all of the Mutant Creatures actually. Don't yell at me for being lazy, as long as a moveset seems like it will turn out well for a character the amount of attacks in the moveset doesn't matter.
Once you have used one move, there is a 1 second cooldown before you can use the same move again. However as the moves have hardly any end lag, the Mutant Creeper is known to pull off strings of attacks to rack up lots of damage in only seconds, and as the regular moves have such low knockback, you can still combo people even at high percents.

Mutant Zombie Plan
It has full super armour (it does not take any knockback but does take damage) until it is above 40% damage, then it turns into partial super armour, which is like the super armour from Snake's Cypher and Yoshi's Flutter Jump; if the attack is strong enough, it will deal knockback. The Mutant Zombie's heavy weight helps him a ton (see what I did there? Heavy weight, a ton? OK I'll stop now). The super armour stops after 150%, resembling the 150 health he has in Minecraft.
It can grab ledges and can jump off walls, but can't cling to them or climb them.
Its specials are all just variations of the same move. For example, its up special has it jumping up, his neutral/side special is it hurtling forwards, and his down special has it flying over the ground. Of course, you don't know what the move actually is yet, but if you play Minecraft and are familiar with the Mutant Creatures Mod you should be able to guess.

Mutant Enderman Plan
The Mutant Enderman has super armour until 200%, representing the 200 health he has in the MC Mod. However unlike the Mutant Zombie the super armour is always partial, and doesn't have a 'complete invulnerability' period.
It has a high resistance to hitstun. The hitstun it takes from moves is half of what you would normally be inflicted. This means it is more likely to be able to teleport back over to the stage after being sent flying.
It has no shield, but it does have a sidestep and roll, which are of course all to do with teleporting.
Rather than having its teleport as its up special recovery, instead its neutral special is a teleport that can be done in any direction.
It doesn't have aerial attacks. It functions exactly the same in the air as on the ground... meaning it can also turn around in midair, like the Mutant Creeper. It can also use smash attacks in the air.

Mutant Skeleton Plan
It has super armour that stops at 150%, and it is always partial, never fully invincible.
Its Neutral Attack and Side Tilt are the same attacks, and they can knock back the mutant zombie even in its indestructible period, as it has a fixed amount of knockback.
Like most of the Mutant Creatures, he doesn't have separate neutral and side specials.

I think that's pretty much all for now...
I would appreciate you posting what responses you have to these idea plans.
That seems to be looking pretty nice.
Also, any progress on those original characters you once said in a post you were going to make sets for in MYM 17? Just curious.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I love it when somebody dedicates themselves to a single franchise.

We've had 3v1 bosses before as crazyal02 mentioned, but we've rarely had 1v1 boss sets made - the only one I can think of from memory is a Master Hand set from MYM12. These kinds of sets are hard to balance and a select few MYM'ers dislike the idea of boss characters, however, and even veteran movesetters have difficulty making these kinds of sets. It's interesting that you're taking on such a challenge so early in your career, so I figured I'd give you my opinion on what you've come up with so you don't get called out for it when you do post the movesets.

Mutant Creeper Plan
It does not have a dash.
I guess we have ourselves a pretty normal set here. I can tell right away you're trying to be faithful to Minecraft, which is good as a moveset should be faithful to its source material one way or another, but not to the point where you omit various smash functions or use it as an excuse to exclude certain moves. I'd advise you actually give Creeper a B-throw and B-air like a regular character, as these actually turn your character around when using them, and if you really want to implement the turning around gimmick I would suggest making the B-air turning him around upon use or even allowing the player to turn around when holding the control stick during a midair jumps.

I am strongly against mirrored Specials as mirrored Standards are bad enough (MasterWarlord talked about them in his Wonder Red comment on page 15). It comes across as being lazy no matter how you put it, and makes the set less fun to play as you remove necessary versatility from the set like how Mega Man's Jab and F-tilt are mirrored. If you're making mirrored inputs because the character doesn't do much in their source material, know that you simply just have to get creative and make up something for them, as we've had plenty of sets in the past and even this contest that make working sets out of characters who do little in their source material. Take Father Cornello for example: he does nothing but fire a chaingun, summon a chimera and turn into a giant that punches in the single episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood he appears in, but that didn't stop Warlord from getting creative with him. We've even had a set for a burned man who does nothing but spew fire from a homemade flamethrower in his boss fight.

The 1-second cooldown mechanic looks interesting, but would hurt the set if not applied properly as even if Creeper doesn't suffer much end lag on his attacks, he can do nothing but move and shield to defend himself within that second and will end up being grabbed a lot if he whiffs his attacks (which I assume still have normal starting lag). I would suggest giving a specific cooldown time for each attack if you really, really want to go with this mechanic, as Creeper would suffer if he's forced to wait for one second after using something like a Jab that wouldn't reward him that much for pulling it off.

Mutant Zombie Plan
"Partial super armor" is commonly known as heavy armor, and could be described as 7% super/heavy armor or what have you to show that the character has super armor to any attack that deals 7% or less. This character's armor and lack of shield make it suited to be a boss character, and for that I would suggest making the complete super armor permanent and instead giving it 150% stamina whereby it is KO'ed once that is depleted. Similar to Master Hand, if you get me. You would want to give this character immunity to grabs, and make its attacks slow given, you know, it has super armor and would be way too powerful if it attacked as quickly as any other character. Also, you imply that its Specials are all essentially going to be the same, a worse case of Creeper whom I already went over. You will want to come up with 4 unique Specials, and if you really want to give your Special a variety of ways to be executed simply allow the player different options if they say, angle the control stick, tilt/smash the control stick or tap/hold B, as those are ways various Specials in Smash can be executed. Many F-tilts and F-Smashes can be angled, Samus's missiles get different properties for tapping/smashing the control stick while Villager's Side Special is either a traditional projectile or movement-based attack depending on whether you tap B or hold B. You can also allow a move to be charged to give it different properties based on charge time, as Robin and Pac Man's Neutral Special do.

Mutant Enderman Plan
This tells me you assume we know the character or expect us to look them up. I know Minecraft is meant to be really popular, but I don't know anything about these characters so this is the first I've heard about them being able to teleport.

Mutant Skeleton Plan
Many of your ideas propose shortcuts in the name of faithfulness to Minecraft. I can somewhat understand you wanting to do this if you're working on 4 sets, but if you want a quality set everyone will take seriously you'll want to make sure you don't skip out on any inputs. With that, I look forward to seeing these posted next contest!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
"We've had 3v1 bosses before as crazyal02 mentioned, but we've rarely had 1v1 boss sets made - the only one I can think of from memory is a Master Hand set from MYM12. "

There was also Armored Ventus Nightmare from MYM14. I dunno if we had any aside from that.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
This tells me you assume we know the character or expect us to look them up. I know Minecraft is meant to be really popular, but I don't know anything about these characters so this is the first I've heard about them being able to teleport.
This is especially important because these "Mutant" creatures are from a mod, so despite being a Minecraft fan I've never heard of these characters.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Might take these guys on:

A neglected princess
A forgotten marsupial
One of the first Pokemon seen in game
and the offspring of an actor and a general

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Maybe I'll try to participate in the next one. Doubt I'd be very good, but it seems kinda fun to do.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Funny you bring up Tyrantum. I meant to comment that set at one point, as it stood out to me for its writing and emphasis on not going offstage in the Playstyle section.

"Do not go offstage. EVER." Lol

I enjoyed that little quirk, and thought Roar had a good grasp on Playstyle in being a keep-away move that big Tyrantum would need. My only main issues with the set, if I remember right, was that I thought some of the %s were low for how pronounced Turantum's weakness was, and maybe not having enough biting moves since that's kind of his thing, especially not having a biting F-Smash. I almost considered doing a set for that frosty dinosaur because of your set, and commend you for editing it to make improvements at the time it was posted.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I knew the damages were gonna be off somehow, but I prefer going lower than higher. I was trying to make the knockback bite harder than the damage other than the Down Smash specifically. I was having trouble figuring out how the damage could still be balanced yet stronger than average, while ALSO being balanced for the prospect of having a hit of armor to save you from the sluggish animations. The main concern was "it already can give itself armor, the damages don't really need to be too high."

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Question: Are we allowed to pre-make a set, or do you have to actually make it when the new thread is up? I had a good Monster Hunter related idea I was gonna try to refine a bit.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Um... well yeah, they're gonna expect a lot from moveset creators. It's a contest. It's not too much. I can understand it may be difficult to make a moveset for a sword character, but instead of making a somewhat boring moveset, why not just do a different character entirely? That's why you didn't get any votes man: nothing original was brought to the table. While his critique was harsh, he wasn't really wrong. You would have been better off perhaps giving the weapon switch mechanic to Robin maybe? He's the MC, after all. The different kits were indeed, pretty weak.

It's not that you didn't put any thought into it, the moves just didn't fit the characters or simply weren't original enough in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Question: Are we allowed to pre-make a set, or do you have to actually make it when the new thread is up? I had a good Monster Hunter related idea I was gonna try to refine a bit.
Of course you are; I have a few in the works for next contest as well.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
I love it when somebody dedicates themselves to a single franchise.

We've had 3v1 bosses before as crazyal02 mentioned, but we've rarely had 1v1 boss sets made - the only one I can think of from memory is a Master Hand set from MYM12. These kinds of sets are hard to balance and a select few MYM'ers dislike the idea of boss characters, however, and even veteran movesetters have difficulty making these kinds of sets. It's interesting that you're taking on such a challenge so early in your career, so I figured I'd give you my opinion on what you've come up with so you don't get called out for it when you do post the movesets.

I guess we have ourselves a pretty normal set here. I can tell right away you're trying to be faithful to Minecraft, which is good as a moveset should be faithful to its source material one way or another, but not to the point where you omit various smash functions or use it as an excuse to exclude certain moves. I'd advise you actually give Creeper a B-throw and B-air like a regular character, as these actually turn your character around when using them, and if you really want to implement the turning around gimmick I would suggest making the B-air turning him around upon use or even allowing the player to turn around when holding the control stick during a midair jumps.

I am strongly against mirrored Specials as mirrored Standards are bad enough (MasterWarlord talked about them in his Wonder Red comment on page 15). It comes across as being lazy no matter how you put it, and makes the set less fun to play as you remove necessary versatility from the set like how Mega Man's Jab and F-tilt are mirrored. If you're making mirrored inputs because the character doesn't do much in their source material, know that you simply just have to get creative and make up something for them, as we've had plenty of sets in the past and even this contest that make working sets out of characters who do little in their source material. Take Father Cornello for example: he does nothing but fire a chaingun, summon a chimera and turn into a giant that punches in the single episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood he appears in, but that didn't stop Warlord from getting creative with him. We've even had a set for a burned man who does nothing but spew fire from a homemade flamethrower in his boss fight.

The 1-second cooldown mechanic looks interesting, but would hurt the set if not applied properly as even if Creeper doesn't suffer much end lag on his attacks, he can do nothing but move and shield to defend himself within that second and will end up being grabbed a lot if he whiffs his attacks (which I assume still have normal starting lag). I would suggest giving a specific cooldown time for each attack if you really, really want to go with this mechanic, as Creeper would suffer if he's forced to wait for one second after using something like a Jab that wouldn't reward him that much for pulling it off.

"Partial super armor" is commonly known as heavy armor, and could be described as 7% super/heavy armor or what have you to show that the character has super armor to any attack that deals 7% or less. This character's armor and lack of shield make it suited to be a boss character, and for that I would suggest making the complete super armor permanent and instead giving it 150% stamina whereby it is KO'ed once that is depleted. Similar to Master Hand, if you get me. You would want to give this character immunity to grabs, and make its attacks slow given, you know, it has super armor and would be way too powerful if it attacked as quickly as any other character. Also, you imply that its Specials are all essentially going to be the same, a worse case of Creeper whom I already went over. You will want to come up with 4 unique Specials, and if you really want to give your Special a variety of ways to be executed simply allow the player different options if they say, angle the control stick, tilt/smash the control stick or tap/hold B, as those are ways various Specials in Smash can be executed. Many F-tilts and F-Smashes can be angled, Samus's missiles get different properties for tapping/smashing the control stick while Villager's Side Special is either a traditional projectile or movement-based attack depending on whether you tap B or hold B. You can also allow a move to be charged to give it different properties based on charge time, as Robin and Pac Man's Neutral Special do.

Many of your ideas propose shortcuts in the name of faithfulness to Minecraft. I can somewhat understand you wanting to do this if you're working on 4 sets, but if you want a quality set everyone will take seriously you'll want to make sure you don't skip out on any inputs. With that, I look forward to seeing these posted next contest!
About the Mutant Creeper, I didn't say that there is a 1 second cooldown between each move, I said that there is a 1 second cooldown before you can use the same move again. This means that it can use it's jab, then immediately after use his Forward Tilt, then his Down Tilt, then up tilt, and do combos in that way. Sorry for the confusion.
Also, I'm not skipping out moves because I'm lazy, I'm merging moves because it works for boss characters. Remember I said that they were not supposed to be normal character movesets.
I personally like the idea of the Mutant Creeper turning around in the air and during grabs, but if multiple people don't I will change it.
Sorry for not posting a video of the Mutant Creatures Mod, I expected you to look them up. Maybe I shouldn't do that in the future...
Endermen in Minecraft teleport. Mutant Endermen teleport more.
The thing is, with the Mutant Zombie, in the Minecraft mod he only has 3 moves, and one is good for his Final Smash. Also, he is a boss character, so I don't really see the need. IMO you shouldn't judge a moveset badly just because some moves are mirrors of each other, as long as the moveset is good for the character you should judge it based on that. Now the Mutant Zombie's invulnerability is only full for the first 40% because I want you to be able to fight him in all modes, not just stamina.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Oh boy.

The truth is, I know how the internet works, and while these negative statements offended me a lot, I can realise that it is just honest feedback.
While I feel you could have been slightly less harsh, I won't shout out you. I will just point out that I did put thought into Roy, and that when you're making a sword character, sometimes it's very hard to not make generic sword moves.
There are ways to work around it while still staying true to the character. You could have at least made them a variation of the sword playstyle, like how Marth is fast and Ike is slow and heavy hitting. A generic, fitting moveset is better than a unique one that doesn't fit the character.
I feel offended that you expect the moveset to fit into a certain playstyle. You already know that the damage throughout Lucina's attacks are balanced throughout the blade, and as I'm just decloning Lucina, I don't need to think of a playstyle for her BECAUSE SHE ALREADY HAS ONE.
All movesets should have at least a summary of good strategies, uses for moves, etc., collectively known as a "playstyle". It's not necessarily about making the moveset fit into a certain playstyle; writing the playstyle section around what you already have is also a good option. You say that Lucina already has a playstyle (presumably in Smash 4), but with the radical changes you made in your set, those tactics won't work here, so you should provide fresh, new ones.
I am sorry about the terrible Side and Up Specials though, I see your point.
Now Chrom? Terrible?
DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH EFFORT I PUT INTO THIS MOVESET??!!! IT'S JUST LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN CARE!! Don't try and assume things on the Internet.
We're aware of the effort that you put into it, and while I do like some of the concepts in the set (weapon switching is pretty neat, albeit not that fitting for the character), the execution did feel rather lacking. It is a good start, though, and a bad start doesn't mean that you can't make great things later on. My first moveset, SOnic Heroes, was really bad at first, especially when it only had the four Special moves.
Anyway, you say that "A weapon switch mechanic is like giving a weapon switch mechanic to Shulk. Even if the mechanic fit, the different "kits" are lopsided"... WHAT A LOAD OF BULL****. Don't try and make your opinion come off as fact; just because you don't like the weapon switch mechanic, doesn't mean everyone thinks the same thing.
And here we get to the part I foreshadowed at the beginning. First off, the part in caps was completely uncalled for.

This isn't really an opinion. Shulk and Chrom are both characters who mostly use only one weapon, so giving them a weapon-switch mechanic doesn't fit very well.

As for the whole "lopsided" bit, I feel that wasn't the best wording for it, since that implies unevenness. I'm not sure if Kiwi was referring to "poor" as in the effectiveness of the character in fighting or the quality of the set (I'm sure he'd be glad to clarify that for you), but the former could be fixed with some buffs, i.e. more damage, more range, etc.
You expect too much from moveset creators.
How much should be expected of a scene full of great sets, then?
'Oh but that's your opinion and just because you think that doesn't mean it's true-'
Go away hypocrite.

Oh and BTW, that is what I would expect you to say. I'm not assuming you will say that. Prove me wrong if you wish.
I'd recommend waiting until someone actually says something to reply, so you don't sound prejudiced and all.

I'm wondering if you even read the last part of Kiwi's post.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Oh boy.

And you just fulfilled that expectation. Way to go.

There are ways to work around it while still staying true to the character. You could have at least made them a variation of the sword playstyle, like how Marth is fast and Ike is slow and heavy hitting. A generic, fitting moveset is better than a unique one that doesn't fit the character.

All movesets should have at least a summary of good strategies, uses for moves, etc., collectively known as a "playstyle". It's not necessarily about making the moveset fit into a certain playstyle; writing the playstyle section around what you already have is also a good option. You say that Lucina already has a playstyle (presumably in Smash 4), but with the radical changes you made in your set, those tactics won't work here, so you should provide fresh, new ones.

We're aware of the effort that you put into it, and while I do like some of the concepts in the set (weapon switching is pretty neat, albeit not that fitting for the character), the execution did feel rather lacking. It is a good start, though, and a bad start doesn't mean that you can't make great things later on. My first moveset, SOnic Heroes, was really bad at first, especially when it only had the four Special moves.

And here we get to the part I foreshadowed at the beginning. First off, the part in caps was completely uncalled for.

This isn't really an opinion. Shulk and Chrom are both characters who mostly use only one weapon, so giving them a weapon-switch mechanic doesn't fit very well.

As for the whole "lopsided" bit, I feel that wasn't the best wording for it, since that implies unevenness. I'm not sure if Kiwi was referring to "poor" as in the effectiveness of the character in fighting or the quality of the set (I'm sure he'd be glad to clarify that for you), but the former could be fixed with some buffs, i.e. more damage, more range, etc.

How much should be expected of a scene full of great sets, then?

I'd recommend waiting until someone actually says something to reply, so you don't sound prejudiced and all.

I'm wondering if you even read the last part of Kiwi's post.
I am fully aware of that the weapon switching doesn't fit Chrom, I have stated it in the past.
Wait...
Have I?
Well I'm stating it now, so there we go.
My sentence in CAPS wasn't uncalled for, it was true. It's his opinion, and he states it like a fact.
I'm 13 AND I'm a beginner.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I have been more offended here than either of you guys, I'm just a little kid who needs to learn to grow up.

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
I expect that you are expecting me to say something rude now.
To be honest I don't even expect that much from you.

I feel offended that you expect the moveset to fit into a certain playstyle.
You're offended that I expect you to put actual effort into keeping a moveset cohesive? Sorry then, mate.

You already know that the damage throughout Lucina's attacks are balanced throughout the blade,
Another thing. Don't ever assume that the person you're presenting a set to has knowledge about your character beforehand. That's just essay writing; if you're writing about a topic, don't take any information for granted. Assume you're talking to a blank slate. Who says I know about Lucina's blade's quirks?

and as I'm just decloning Lucina, I don't need to think of a playstyle for her BECAUSE SHE ALREADY HAS ONE.
Then that's just laziness. Decloning a character, or making a moveset at all, in general, involves putting actual thought into a playstyle for them. You can't just change around some moves and nothing else, and then say you don't need to make a playstyle. And, see my previous point: Even if you're keeping her playstyle the same, you should still explain it. Either make a playstyle section at the end detailing how her set plays, or make it clear through the descriptions on the moves. Otherwise, you can't get mad when people say there isn't a playstyle, because, based entirely on what I've read in this set, there isn't one.

And that's not even mentioning that you can't claim to put effort into decloning her if you're literally keeping her playstyle the same.

Then again, I doubt you could even tell me what Lucina's playstyle is.

Now Chrom? Terrible?
DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH EFFORT I PUT INTO THIS MOVESET??!!! IT'S JUST LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN CARE!! Don't try and assume things on the Internet.
Putting effort into a terrible idea doesn't mean much. I don't have to praise something that lacks actual quality just because you say you put a lot of work into it. Your set needs to stand on its own, or else it'll get the criticism that it deserves.

Anyway, you say that "A weapon switch mechanic is like giving a weapon switch mechanic to Shulk. Even if the mechanic fit, the different "kits" are lopsided"... WHAT A LOAD OF BULL****. Don't try and make your opinion come off as fact; just because you don't like the weapon switch mechanic, doesn't mean everyone thinks the same thing.
You've never played Fire Emblem, yeah? At no point in the game does Chrom use his fists, a shield, etc. etc. It's not my opinion, it's called being able to recognize what does and does not work in a moveset. Hell, you could make a weapon switch thing work if they were actually weapons he's ever used.

'Oh but that's your opinion and just because you think that doesn't mean it's true-'
Go away hypocrite.
That's really, really childish.

I don't expect too much from moveset creators. Newcomers, like yourself, can't be expected to be fantastic from the outset. But you're not just making bad sets; you're being rude, defensive, whiny and insulting for absolutely no reason other than that you don't like hearing criticism.

So is expecting civility too much? Or, you know, expecting you to listen?

Oh and BTW, that is what I would expect you to say. I'm not assuming you will say that. Prove me wrong if you wish.
...Expecting something is literally assuming it will happen. That's, that's how those words work.

My sentence in CAPS wasn't uncalled for, it was true. It's his opinion, and he states it like a fact.
It was uncalled for, actually. Common etiquette, and all that. Don't yell at people for no good reason.

Well that explains your behaviour, but it doesn't excuse it.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I have been more offended here than either of you guys, I'm just a little kid who needs to learn to grow up.
The victim card, nice. I'm not offended at all, you've got that right, but if you're aware enough to know you need to grow up then you should know when to quit.

n88

Smash Lord
I expect that you are expecting me to say something rude now.
The truth is, I know how the internet works, and while these negative statements offended me a lot, I can realise that it is just honest feedback.
While I feel you could have been slightly less harsh, I won't shout out you.
You actually did do a little bit of this in your post; I'm all up for more moveset discussion, but hopefully we manage to keep it civil (and that goes for all of us). We don't need an ugly post-contest discussion getting the thread locked.

Don't try and make your opinion come off as fact; just because you don't like the weapon switch mechanic, doesn't mean everyone thinks the same thing.
Go away hypocrite.
All criticism here is inherently subjective rather than objective (unless of course someone's pointing out something like "you're missing inputs" or "that move deals enough damage to OHKO Bowser"); it's like a movie review or any other opinion piece. People who talk about your movesets won't always preface all their thoughts by saying "This is just my opinion, but...." because that's understood.

On the topic of getting negative criticism, my advice to you is to try to take it in stride and remember that someone not liking your moveset isn't a personal attack, and there's no reason to be offended. Nobody ever got good at something by having people tell them they were already awesome; MYM has (and has always had) a competitive aspect that encourages people to try to up their game and really wow people. Being told where you could stand to improve is part of that.

By all means, you can stand up for your sets and discuss why you made the choices you did. In fact, having to piece together an argument for your perspective can be a great thought exercise (possibly helping you further justify your decision, or helping you realize you're in the wrong).

And as one final note, there were about 59 movesets (43%) that received no votes in this contest, so you weren't all alone there.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Katapultar said:
Take Father Cornello for example: he does nothing but fire a chaingun, summon a chimera and turn into a giant that punches in the single episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood he appears in, but that didn't stop Warlord from getting creative with him.
Of course I appreciate being listed as a positive example, but I would like to give some context on Cornello. I'm honestly surprised nobody questioned his abilities without having access to the WC3 map. Regardless, he is heavily associated with red lightning in that, and it works the same way as in the moveset on the Side Special. He also has access to spikes in that game, though that was such a universal alchemy ability that wasn't a particularly big leap in logic. He can transform into rebound in the game with a similar rebound meter mechanic that inspired the moveset, though as Smady said it was terrible and luck based, something you'd see in a Junahu set.

In the 2003 series he also has access to some sand alchemy and some limited healing anyway. With a character like this you really have to do some interpretation and use as many sources as possible. One of the most blatant examples was how I interpreted the mutations of Cornello's arm - it's basically just an "animation" in the fight and he doesn't take advantage of it, but he could most certainly mutate specific things into his arm based off the nature of alchemy.

Tocaraca said:
DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH EFFORT I PUT INTO THIS MOVESET??!!! IT'S JUST LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN CARE!!
Side Smash: "'But that's what his Dash Attack is!'
Shut up. I don't care."

Up Smash: "He swings his, uh, weapon, from his feet, over his head and to behind him, like with Ike's. In neutral stance his fist doesn't touch the ground, but the weapons do. Shield reflects projectiles here. I'm getting really bored writing this now, can we skip the details? I want to finish this with the Final Smash."

Smashes are the biggest inputs besides the Specials. Skimping so horribly on them is very bad. I have also berated sets other than yours such as Munomario's for mirrors. I didn't vote for any of his sets either, you're not special, so please give up your persecution complex.

Tocaraca said:
Don't try and make your opinion come off as fact; just because you don't like the weapon switch mechanic, doesn't mean everyone thinks the same thing.
I would just like to inform you that there is this magical place called the Skype chat where most of the veterans are, and all of them do indeed agree.

Tocaraca said:
I should also probably tell you that I'm 23, been in MYM for 7 years, and the majority of the community is at least in college.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Of course I appreciate being listed as a positive example, but I would like to give some context on Cornello. I'm honestly surprised nobody questioned his abilities without having access to the WC3 map. Regardless, he is heavily associated with red lightning in that, and it works the same way as in the moveset on the Side Special. He also has access to spikes in that game, though that was such a universal alchemy ability that wasn't a particularly big leap in logic. He can transform into rebound in the game with a similar rebound meter mechanic that inspired the moveset, though as Smady said it was terrible and luck based, something you'd see in a Junahu set.

In the 2003 series he also has access to some sand alchemy and some limited healing anyway. With a character like this you really have to do some interpretation and use as many sources as possible. One of the most blatant examples was how I interpreted the mutations of Cornello's arm - it's basically just an "animation" in the fight and he doesn't take advantage of it, but he could most certainly mutate specific things into his arm based off the nature of alchemy.

Side Smash: "'But that's what his Dash Attack is!'
Shut up. I don't care."

Up Smash: "He swings his, uh, weapon, from his feet, over his head and to behind him, like with Ike's. In neutral stance his fist doesn't touch the ground, but the weapons do. Shield reflects projectiles here. I'm getting really bored writing this now, can we skip the details? I want to finish this with the Final Smash."

Smashes are the biggest inputs besides the Specials. Skimping so horribly on them is very bad. I have also berated sets other than yours such as Munomario's for mirrors. I didn't vote for any of his sets either, you're not special, so please give up your persecution complex.

I would just like to inform you that there is this magical place called the Skype chat where most of the veterans are, and all of them do indeed agree.

I should also probably tell you that I'm 23, been in MYM for 7 years, and the majority of the community is at least in college.
Oh, right.
Sorry.
:nervous:

You actually did do a little bit of this in your post; I'm all up for more moveset discussion, but hopefully we manage to keep it civil (and that goes for all of us). We don't need an ugly post-contest discussion getting the thread locked.

All criticism here is inherently subjective rather than objective (unless of course someone's pointing out something like "you're missing inputs" or "that move deals enough damage to OHKO Bowser"); it's like a movie review or any other opinion piece. People who talk about your movesets won't always preface all their thoughts by saying "This is just my opinion, but...." because that's understood.

On the topic of getting negative criticism, my advice to you is to try to take it in stride and remember that someone not liking your moveset isn't a personal attack, and there's no reason to be offended. Nobody ever got good at something by having people tell them they were already awesome; MYM has (and has always had) a competitive aspect that encourages people to try to up their game and really wow people. Being told where you could stand to improve is part of that.

By all means, you can stand up for your sets and discuss why you made the choices you did. In fact, having to piece together an argument for your perspective can be a great thought exercise (possibly helping you further justify your decision, or helping you realize you're in the wrong).

And as one final note, there were about 59 movesets (43%) that received no votes in this contest, so you weren't all alone there.
I appreciate you not making me feel bad here. The truth is when I did shout it was because after a read the post again after quoting it, I completely forgot about what I said and let out what I actually felt, which was at the time ANGER. Now I realise what I have done wrong and know that I would probably do the same if I was a Smash veteran and looked at a moveset I didn't like at all.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Even if we wanted to have a rule like that we'd have no way of enforcing it. Regardless, for some perspective, movesets like, say, Astamon, have been in the works for several contests before they were posted. Don't get me wrong, though, most of our good movesets take like a month or two of on and off work at the very most. Ones that go into development hell are rarely all that great, though there's exceptions like anything else.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Even if we wanted to have a rule like that we'd have no way of enforcing it. Regardless, for some perspective, movesets like, say, Astamon, have been in the works for several contests before they were posted. Don't get me wrong, though, most of our good movesets take like a month or two of on and off work at the very most. Ones that go into development hell are rarely all that great, though there's exceptions like anything else.
Now I know why my sets weren't good.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I'll give you a little taste of how my FNAF moveset will be written up:

"Uh, h-hello hello? Uh, welcome to Super Smash Brothers. Make Your Move XVII. I’m here to talk you through the movesets of the animatronics from Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza, now under new management. Uh, these characters have gone through a bit of a rough history in the old management, what with all the … rumors. *cough* B-but that should be behind us now that the company has been revived by Wario Ware Inc. So … be sure to thank the man himself that all of these beloved characters are back, okay? Uh, now I used to be employed at Freddy Fazbear’s pizza for the longest time until my sudden … retirement. *Clears throat* Uh, I-I mean the chain closed down, so I, uh, couldn’t work there anymore. Since I’ve been with the company since the beginning, I was, uh, brought back to walk you through how to handle the animatronics."

That's right, it'll be as told by the phone guy. Because of this, the set may be worded and organized in a very unorthodox manner, but I'll try to make the important bits as clear as possible. Also, Springtrap is not apart of the sets for a couple reasons: 1. I don't want it to appear that I'm stealing from StaffOfSmashing, I apologize if it does and 2. I don't think Springtrap would get along well with the other animatronics. On the plus side, I get to add a nice Easter egg to the story, so there's that.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility

"Uh, h-hello hello? Uh, welcome to Super Smash Brothers. Make Your Move XVII. I’m here to talk you through the movesets of the animatronics from Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza, now under new management. Uh, these characters have gone through a bit of a rough history in the old management, what with all the … rumors. *cough* B-but that should be behind us now that the company has been revived by Wario Ware Inc. So … be sure to thank the man himself that all of these beloved characters are back, okay? Uh, now I used to be employed at Freddy Fazbear’s pizza for the longest time until my sudden … retirement. *Clears throat* Uh, I-I mean the chain closed down, so I, uh, couldn’t work there anymore. Since I’ve been with the company since the beginning, I was, uh, brought back to walk you through how to handle the animatronics."

That's right, it'll be as told by the phone guy. Because of this, the set may be worded and organized in a very unorthodox manner, but I'll try to make the important bits as clear as possible. Also, Springtrap is not apart of the sets for a couple reasons: 1. I don't want it to appear that I'm stealing from StaffOfSmashing, I apologize if it does and 2. I don't think Springtrap would get along well with the other animatronics. On the plus side, I get to add a nice Easter egg to the story, so there's that.
I like it. It's kinda goofy, but it fits the theme of the characters.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace

I don't think I'd want to read these, since Five Nights At Freddy's scares me. But I like the idea of you telling the moveset as the 'phone guy'.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
You can begin making on the set at any time, it just will generally not be posted until the next thread is up. Exceptions can be made at times, too (n88_2004 has pre-posted a few movesets due to RL issues before. Generally if there's a RL issue that'll keep you from the next contest for a long time it's fine.)

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Any progress on those original characters you once said in a post you were going to make sets for in MYM 17? Just curious.
What you mean Alica Vassin, Akullotsoa and Blossomus?
I'm pretty sure I already have thought out ideas for all of their attacks, except Blossomus. That will be the hardest one to make a moveset for.

Also, I have a request for all of you guys. Since I know that earlier I was just being a butthurt douche, can I have permission from you to ask a moderator to delete all of the posts responding to my rude one? I'm going to ask them to delete my rude post, obviously.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
How do you pre-make a set?
I'm nearly done Dry Bones's and Kabutops's specials and i want to save them somewhere.
You can just save them in Word, Google Docs, etc until the next contest. Alternatively, you could start a PM with someone, make a few posts in said PM (don't have to be much, just "placeholder" will do), ask the other person to leave, edit the placeholder posts you made, and work on your sets there. You have to edit them, since SWF won't let you add new posts to a PM that no one else is in. It's the method I use, and as long as you don't leave the PM on accident, you should be good. ;)

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
You can just save them in Word, Google Docs, etc until the next contest. Alternatively, you could start a PM with someone, make a few posts in said PM (don't have to be much, just "placeholder" will do), ask the other person to leave, edit the placeholder posts you made, and work on your sets there. You have to edit them, since SWF won't let you add new posts to a PM that no one else is in. It's the method I use, and as long as you don't leave the PM on accident, you should be good. ;)
I just copy paste the raw BBCode ("Use BB Code Editor" button on the upper right) to a text file. I recommend doing this regularly even in the middle of a contest, since SWF drafts are deleted after awhile.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I just copy paste the raw BBCode ("Use BB Code Editor" button on the upper right) to a text file. I recommend doing this regularly even in the middle of a contest, since SWF drafts are deleted after awhile.
That's a good way to go about it. I dislike using all the [] tags and all though. The PM method isn't vulnerable to the SWF auto-deletion by the way, since you're editing a message and "publishing" it, except no one's on the receiving end.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I just make my movesets on a Note Pad (entitled "Plans for MYM 17"), where I have written all the sets I want to do and the sets themselves, when the contest comes I'll just need to add images and change color and size of the font, so it's no biggie.

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the info!

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Thanks for the info!
Since I use a mac I usually take the BB Codes and paste them into pages, then change from BB Code editor into Rich Text so I'm back where I left of reliably. 0

I shoulda thought about this, but using Phone Dude instead.

Top Bottom