• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 16: MYM 17 Starting June 1st

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
LIST OF ELIGIBLE VOTERS:
Katapultar
Munomario777
Dr. Slavic
ChaosKiwi
ForwardArrow
MasterWarlord
Bionichute
Smash Daddy
IvanQuote
Conren
FrozenRoy
Rychu

Please send in your votes before May 2nd to both FrozenRoy and Katapultar, the vote gurus. The cutoff is midnight pacific time the day before. Everyone gets 36 votes altogether, which are broken up into three different kinds of votes. 6 of them are Super Votes, 15 are Regular Votes and 15 are Weak Votes. Super Votes are worth more than Regular Votes are worth more than Weak Votes. To be exact, Super votes are worth 9 points, Regular Votes are worth 5 points and Weak Votes are worth 2 points. You're not required to use all your votes, so if you only like 30 sets, you only have to vote 30. The point being, you rank the sets you like on your vote list, giving preference to your absolute favorites.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
My condolences, but I cannot reiterate enough how much you simply must save your movesets in a more permanent format. This sort of thing has happened in the past and it's no fun for anyone when it occurs. Even if you're doing most of your writing on Smashboards itself, backing up whatever you write on any type of word document cannot be recommended enough.
It's not that bad as I had only done the standard moves, but I had done descriptions of the character and stuff before those attacks.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I've lost my progress.
I feel for you; I once came extremely close to completing a set, only to lose all progress on it by accidentally overwriting the text with a random letter via Ctrl+A, = Ctrl+C = Ctrl+V and not realizing it until I opened up the file the next day. Losing your progress can, however, be a blessing in disguise as I picked up that set again 1 contest later and it turned out much better than before due to the experience I had accumulated over that period of time.

While I'm here, I'll announce my set plans for next contest to give you all an idea of what to expect from me. I'll reveal the characters in full rather than use quotes, because otherwise nobody would be able to guess the characters.

The bottom 8 characters will most likely be boss sets.

The remaning 28 Mugen Souls characters from both Mugen Souls and Mugen Souls Z, more priority going to the first 20 characters. I'd love to post them in exact order, but life is getting busier for me so I've decided to post a set whenever I finish it.

The Diez Gentlemen from Disgaea 3 who were meant to be posted alongside Salvatore. They are all parodies of various source materials and re-colors of existing classes in Disgaea 3, so they're all going to be jokesets that make fun of various movesetting archetypes - be they traps, minions, duplicates or tag-teams among other MYM-esque things. Just a heads-up if you see any of them posted in the future.

These 2 characters are also a priority for me because they are awesome:

And that's just about it! I also have a present for everyone after the Top 50 is released, so you can all look forward to that as well as the Top 50.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Previews? Previews!

"Welcome to my parlor."

"Dead man walkin."

"Are the fireflies brighter than usual, or is it just your imagination?
Tonight will be a long night.
"

"Haven't you heard the legends? I'm not an ordinary human anymore!"

"Your Stand can't be seen by the victim or the law. Therefor...I shall judge you!"

"I lived ten thousand lifetimes before the first of your kind CRAHAHAWLED OUT OF THE MUD!"

"It attacks like it's about to explode...and when it disappears, it withdraws like a storm..."

"The ominous voice that resounds in the night is a bewitching song that lures into darkness. Falling into the bottomless darkness, my song is all you can hear!"

"These wretched abominations BLIGHT this world! And every last one of them will perish by my hand."

"TOO SOON! YOU HAVE AWAKENED ME TOO SOON, EXECUTUS!"

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion

I had been sitting on rereading the changelog to Baron Rivendare for a considerable time, but upon doing so I found that the set may as well have been brand new. Rivendare is my new favorite of the Naxxramas movement, and that’s a pretty large statement when I previously had this thing sitting at the bottom of 4 star on my rankings. While the old Rivendare endlessly stacked buffs that almost never expired with minimal effort, the new Mark of Rivendare Special only now reapplies buffs a single time. Rivendare has to hit with the move additional times to make the status effects still stick around, meaning while he can continue to stack up his buffs he has to actually work for them. The moveset has a new Special that has Rivendare summon skeletons, giving him something to apply his buffs to besides the foe. Some of Rivendare’s buffs are “auras” that give buffs to him when the foe is near, but by using skeletons Rivendare doesn’t have to invest all of his eggs in one basket and can spread out some of the buffs. The moveset is edited significantly to accommodate these new skeletons, not just a casual addition, and several moves appear to be changed from the old versions. While FrozenRoy unfortunately refuses to increase the moveset's size, even the blander inputs in the second half of the set manage to take good advantage of the character being constantly mounted, giving the set a good sense of characterization regardless. If you already sent in your votelist, be aware that you are allowed to edit it to add in sets that you hadn’t read when you previously sent it in (Or read in several months in the case of Rivendare).

Last edited:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Just to tell everyone, I'm removing Halekulani from voting so you don't have to read him if you haven't yet.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
The voting period for MYM16 has been extended until the end of Friday, May 8th. Additionally, TheKalmarKing is cleared to vote if he posts three ads before voting period ends due to being on vacation beforehand.​

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
(You can consider these ads as short comments too, as I didn't have the occasion yet to make a true comment)
Grobbulus

Grobbulus is a very clever set based around mutations, applicable both to himself and his opponents. He can also apply them to his minions, allowing a great deal of creativity and customisation in his playstyle. It's definitely this approach to the mutations and entertained and seduced me; tweaking the opponent's statistics (or your statistics) to your liking (Well, if you can land the blows!) isn't a concept I've seen often. The other Naxxramas characters, like his two buddies Patchwerk and Thaddius, are cool too, but I think Grobbulus really deserves some love.

Carbink

(Sorry for the huge pic, but I couldn't resist this gem)

Another clever little set. While it certainly isn't as flashy as other sets, like Chou-Chou, or even creative like Grobbulus, it's main concept (Racking up damage through Stealth Rock) is very well executed. Stunning the opponent, knocking him into his damage zone, etc. everything is good for that cute Pokémon to rack up the percents. An overall basic set, but with very clean execution and as I always say, a well-done but basic set is better than a flamboyantly original but crappily-done set! Consider him!

Wonder-Red

Here is now one of Muno's revamps. One of the most successful ones, in my opinion, as the hero is wonderfully characterized and builds on his original game to create a fun playstyle; I'm not sure whether he would be easily playable or easily balanced but I don't really care. I'm a fan of the Down-Special; I'm not really sure it was in the original game, but who cares? It's in character, correctly done and fits well his playstyle. As some of you may be aware, I find characterization to be one of the most important points in movesetting, and as such, Wonder Red has won one of my Votes. Will it win one of your votes too? (The pictures and extras also are a plus!)

Nue Houjuu

Wrapping up those ads, here's an Unindentified Flying Girl! Staying true to her bullet-hell game and identity-hiding powers, she felt somewhat subdued for a bullet hell set, but nonetheless great. Her UFO game would already be interesting by itself if the buff/debuff thingy wasn't, and they just keep on getting better. I say it feels more restrained, because she felt more "calm" than other sets, but her melee skills and fun stage-obscuring powers don't break the rythm at all for me. She takes time to bring her set-up to the game and corners the opponent with an onslaught of lasers and statistic-changing UFOs. I may be wrong but I didn't see a lot of comments on this set, so don't forget it; it's a fun read and deserves some votes ^^

Honorable Mentions:
Patchwerk, Thaddius, Rivendare, and Hatchan are sets for which I have kind of a soft spot. Give them a (re-)read if you have the time!​

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
@ TheKalmarKing TheKalmarKing

Thanks for the compliments! :) Unite Camp was actually in TW101, and it had a somewhat similar effect (it refilled the Unite Gauge, with a stronger effect the longer it was held). I really had fun writing that set; I think I have the character some nice personality.

Also, I can't help but notice that you said "wrapping up those ads" for two different sets. :p

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
@ TheKalmarKing TheKalmarKing

Thanks for the compliments! :) Unite Camp was actually in TW101, and it had a somewhat similar effect (it refilled the Unite Gauge, with a stronger effect the longer it was held). I really had fun writing that set; I think I have the character some nice personality.

Also, I can't help but notice that you said "wrapping up those ads" for two different sets. :p
Well I'll have learned something today! :p And yeah I guess that's what happens when you're undecided on your ads and that you decide to throw all of your choices in... I'll change that!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
These are truly incredible! And you say there have been 16 contests? Wow... I have a lot of catching up to do. I hope the next contest starts soon, I would love to enter it.
The next contest will begin decently soon, a good estimation would be about 2 weeks or maybe a bit more, and they last a fair while, so no worries.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Well, I revamped Springtrap, The day MYM 17 does live, I'll take up like half the page.
Also I made this post in the beginning;
Welcome me back ladies, I'm rejoining the cast. For realsies this time.
On the subject of my 1st comeback character... Jumpman!
Soon... For realsies. I have a long weekend & school so it may be a while before it's up. It WILL be what I described his moveset would be in the Jumpman thread.

StaffofSmashing smashes back in!!!!
I guess I'll have to work jumpman in :happysheep:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
The day MYM 17 does live, I'll take up like half the page.
Mwa-haha! I hope you have 20 sets ready for that - that would be a -smashing- opening day...because seriously I don't think we've had that many sets posted on the first day of a contest. No to mention other people will be posting sets too.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
So, what happens when we get our top 50?

Do the users fight to the death in the Pit of Strife? :troll:
I don't know what the Pit of Strife is, but I guarantee you lots of wows and awesomes and unexpectedness. We will have fun talking about the results.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
While there are plenty of more things I could’ve commented, I thought it would be better to wait until after voting to comment these. While I do have rather aggressive things to say about these sets I’d rather not go and sabotage these for top 50 for Munomario’s sake. Regardless, he should finally get the chance to hear some of this stuff.

SONIC VILLAINS

The three characters barely interact in this set, and a lot of the time the other two characters are awkwardly standing around twiddling their thumbs while the other characters do moves. One of the most memorable examples is a move where Knuckles digs, and the other two just follow him around on top, functioning as nothing but baggage of extra hurtboxes. While attacks for the characters individually do need to exist, it’s just incredibly wimpy when the other characters can never attack simultaneously. I know you’re probably not ready to balance something like multiple characters manually attacking at once (nobody’s particularly mastered it), but as is the moveset is basically a transformation character with 3 lives per stock. With the awkward different weights of the characters, they will constantly get desynched whenever hit, and the characters are still very viable individually, much less with just one guy missing. If you were going to go such a “safe” route with these characters, you probably should’ve just gone whole hog and prevented them from desynching entirely.

The moveset gets pretty boring to read when it’s essentially 3 movesets and you take so little advantage of the fact there’s 3 characters. Tails is the only one who doesn’t feel that much like a single set due to the “tower” formation he’s constantly in with the other 2 characters, though his set is mostly just awkward, as despite his stance he still is using very weird props. While Tails’ genius persona has been played up in recent games, it’s mostly because he’s relegated to a background character. Tails also somehow ends up the strongest while Knuckles ends up the weakest. Regardless, the point is the characters shouldn’t be doing such bizarre things in the context of two others tagging along that would make only them a special snowflake.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Wonder Red would appear to be some kind of a snowball character at a glance, powering up or getting weaker based off his amount of fans. He starts with 25 fans and gains/loses a number of fans equal to damage percentage. The problem is that he doesn’t get much stronger with fans, while most of his moveset does 1% and flinching with 1 fan. If the foe ever gets a 25% damage lead on Wonder Red, he basically just loses. Even his Down Special tent to get fans without hitting his opponent will not give him more fans if he only has that one guy who rigs /v/ polls for Wonder Red as his only available fan. While he has a handful of attacks available that don’t use them, it is still bad to make him so predictable.

And dear lord is Wonder Red predictable already. He has a mirrored aerial and 2 mirrored throws, largely leaving him with 4 aerials and 2 throws. Aside from stifling creativity, this directly limits a character’s options and is in no way, shape, or form good moveset making. It’s also infuriating that you go and repost the entire moves with a straight face, much less repost the giant images of the moves as well. On the topic of images, you tend to spam them considerably in your movesets even if the pictures are just tangentially related. You have pictures of other characters that aren’t this one using weapons and of pictures of text describing attacks for you, and even the better pictures are essentially just blobby pictures of weapons doing nothing in particular.

More detail on why mirrored inputs are bad, courtesy of FrozenRoy.

You mention sacrificing flash for necessity, but the problem is the mirrored tilts really are not doing that at all, first of all because they are not doing things that are a necessity in being mirrored. Secondly, you have to consider that in Brawl, even "mirrored" inputs tend to have differences: Take Marth's FAir and BAir, too quite similiar moves...but even leaving aside the Back Aerial turning Marth around, both of these moves have different damage percentages, knockback and other properties, despite the BAir basically being the FAir in reverse. There is simply no reason not to make the Up Tilt and Down Tilt their own moves with differences from the Jab and Forward Tilt even if you give them the same orb functionality as those going upwards and that is why it is not, as your comment said, "function over flash": Because it isn't about function. They could just be basic melee moves and not be mirrored, have the same orb effect and be much better simply by taking advantage of the differences you can make in the attack themselves. If anything, it is prioritizing function too little. This is also true for FAir/BAir.

15 SECONDS

Venusaur takes 5 seconds to get a “stack” of overgrowth, and he needs 3 in order to ever use Solarbeam. While Solarbeam mostly comes across as something irrelevant to his playstyle he will never use as he has other more feasible KO methods, it’s still awkward that Venusaur’s signature is so downplayed. Regardless, most of the things Venusaur can use his overgrowth stacks on are very underwhelming, and there’s little option to conserve them even if you wanted to given how many of Venusaur’s moves will drain them. The main balance appears to be that you also get healing aside from just the benefits of overgrowth, but his playstyle doesn’t incorporate healing enough to be that interesting as you mainly come across as trying to sell the Overgrowth mechanic. The main exception I would say to the set being slightly underpowered is the usmash, which very greatly outclasses his Neutral Special healing. If you take anything away from this, JOE!, I would say that you tend to be a lot more scared and limiting with your defensive characters in comparison to your offensive ones. If you want to say Typhlosion is balanced for Project M characters, fine, but movesets like Venusaur or Axton don’t sound as if they are made with the same standards.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Any idea on hopefully when the Top 50 will be posted?
I know, I know, I should take my time, but the Top 50 is making me REALLY hyped.:urg:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I feel for you. Top 50 is practically ready, but we're waiting on a shift and I guess the next page too because it wouldn't feel right to post it on this page when the next post will be the last and bottom post of this page.

Top Bottom