• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lubbock/Amarillo: Endangered species...

bumbleboon

Smash Rookie
Hi, a couple of us used to play melee when it was popular, but we mainly play brawl now. Do you play at Tech?

No. I used to go to a lot of Melee tournaments at Tech. It was the "Tech Gaming League."

Then I went to a couple of Brawl tournaments and played some kids from Tech. I haven't played either game in a while, to be honest. But I never really liked Brawl a whole lot...

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
No. I used to go to a lot of Melee tournaments at Tech. It was the "Tech Gaming League."

Then I went to a couple of Brawl tournaments and played some kids from Tech. I haven't played either game in a while, to be honest. But I never really liked Brawl a whole lot...
Yeah, I used to go to their tournaments as well. Their group all graduated and smash died for a while, but now it's mainly our group that still has tournaments, for brawl only though. Cool, maybe we've seen you before. Do you know the facebook group "Lubbock Super Smash Bros"?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Yeah, I used to go to their tournaments as well. Their group all graduated and smash died for a while, but now it's mainly our group that still has tournaments, for brawl only though. Cool, maybe we've seen you before. Do you know the facebook group "Lubbock Super Smash Bros"?
I think its about time we do a melee side event :) Next lubbock tourney eh? Also, what should the side event be for this DMT coming up?

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
I think its about time we do a melee side event :) Next lubbock tourney eh? Also, what should the side event be for this DMT coming up?
Lol, do we ever have time for side events? Well, we could aim for doing tri-force, or something not involving brawl and doing mario kart or something?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
That would be fun to go to...Anyone down to go to Fort worth? You since they come to Amarillo and what not, we soooo owe them

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
That would be fun to go to...Anyone down to go to Fort worth? You since they come to Amarillo and what not, we soooo owe them
Hmm, does sound interesting, but I would rather try in the summer after this semester is over. I don't want a big travel weekend like this distracting me from my studies, especially so close to finals and all.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Dakpo, if i let you into HOBO 37 events for free, would you go? I noticed you hate me/houston/hobo/tx.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Dakpo, if i let you into HOBO 37 events for free, would you go? I noticed you hate me/houston/hobo/tx.
haha How about this, If I paid for the entry fee for you and anyone you brought to a DMT in Amarillo, would you go?
The only problem is that its one of the farthest tourneys in texas for me to go too.
Trust me, when I move to Denton, you will be seeing a whole lot more of me ;)

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Once Dakpo leaves, there'll be no reason to come to Lubbock/Amarillo.

We'll have to wait til the new smash comes out or wait for a new generation to emerge and take over what we've built.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Don't let your scene die just because your best player is leaving, I love your scene and enjoy coming to Amarillo.
Dakpo is the reason this scene is what it is. Before it was just a group of students at Texas Tech then he brought Amarillo into the picture. No one in Amarillo really makes things happen like Dakpo as far as planning, and running events goes. This is indeed the year 2012, the year of the end of the 806.

/lolatmypessimism

But seriously, we're going to miss this guy!

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Dakpo is the reason this scene is what it is. Before it was just a group of students at Texas Tech then he brought Amarillo into the picture. No one in Amarillo really makes things happen like Dakpo as far as planning, and running events goes. This is indeed the year 2012, the year of the end of the 806.

/lolatmypessimism

But seriously, we're going to miss this guy!
I think you are blowing it up WAY bigger than it really is. Of course Dakpo has contributed a lot to the scene and it has not gone unnoticed. However, it's not like the things he was doing were unheard of or impossible to do. They were pretty easy to do actually. All you need is a little bit of "want to" and you're golden. The scene only dies if you let it..

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
I think you are blowing it up WAY bigger than it really is. Of course Dakpo has contributed a lot to the scene and it has not gone unnoticed. However, it's not like the things he was doing were unheard of or impossible to do. They were pretty easy to do actually. All you need is a little bit of "want to" and you're golden. The scene only dies if you let it..
The way I see things, we can keep our smash scene alive, but in order to run "bigger" tournaments like DMT 5, etc like when DFW, OKL, San Angelo came, we need top ranked players to represent this region. We're recognized on the TX PR solely b/c of Dakpo, so when he leaves, Kyle will be top ranked here. Even then, only Dakpo, you and me are active on smashboards and anything that identifies this part of Texas. Xyro will probably not offer points b/c of lack of ranked players in this region. We'll have to put forth more effort and interest in traveling to out-of-city tournaments to see any more regional recognition.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The way I see things, we can keep our smash scene alive, but in order to run "bigger" tournaments like DMT 5, etc like when DFW, OKL, San Angelo came.
What the hell, there are players from San Angelo?

I've gotta meet some of these guys. I may very well know them, since I lived there for 4 years.

I can't offer any advice for your scene that others haven't said, but I'll reiterate the "don't say die" advice they're giving you. Travelling to Amarillo is always a blast and I'm always up for going there whenever, I would hate to see that particular faction of the scene die.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
:') it will be ok alex. cash has some interesting ideas for DMT that might take effect when i move.
Which Reminds me. In July, Im going to throw a huge DMT for a going gift to myself :))) Im going to set a date and start advertising for the tourney. I hope All of the out of area peoples can come.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
:') it will be ok alex. cash has some interesting ideas for DMT that might take effect when i move.
Which Reminds me. In July, Im going to throw a huge DMT for a going gift to myself :))) Im going to set a date and start advertising for the tourney. I hope All of the out of area peoples can come.
I almost forgot you owe New Mexico a tournament. Yeah, any help you may need, I'll be available this summer.

And yeah, technically since you'll be gone, we have to change Dakpo's Monthlies to some other name...if we continue to host tourneys that is. :|

@Sonic Storm: The San Angelo players are Dojo and Tyson

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
New profile pictures!!!

Made these to add to the OP. I laughed at some of them. :bee:

Colin:

Jakob:

Cash:

Bronson:

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
btw alex, Im at 1,011 posts now... you are soooo far behind :)
I hardly talk to the other yoshi's anymore, which is where most of my posts come from, and tournament threads. You joined after me too, but I have no johns except I always just posted in social threads. So if those were to count, maybe I'd be ahead of you. Haha

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Dakpo, hey..hey Dakpo, dude, hey man, Dakota we need to, ok hey man, dude hey we need to find $50 for the tournament. It's for the prize money. I won't break even, never do, but you sure will.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Hmm Ill throw 30 in for first, and ill pitch in 10 for second place...And for the love of GOD please do not put up anything for first place. I am the only person the can give first place stuffz; however, i will need help with 2 and 3rd place. Are we doing an amateur bracket again?

Top Bottom