• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Such countdowns I feel are unnecessary, but whatever. Donned a new avatar to better fit the occasion, in any case, though am ready for this current ride to be over already, sink or swim.

If there’s no purple dragon sightings at E3 by chance, will be interesting I guess to see how everyone handles it, which in part will depend on who else gets revealed and such.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I usually don’t watch E3 press conferences. Too much cringey awkwardness - it’s easier to just look up the blow-by-blow and YouTube the trailers I’m interested in. Nintendo’s definitely nowhere near as cringey as the others, but there’s a lot at stake here.

I’m still torn on whether I’ll watch this one. The last Smash direct was really disappointing since I was expecting...not Corrin. On the other hand, do I want to risk missing a reveal if it does happen? (Then again, I missed the 50-fact extravaganza, and then came back to the forum wondering wht everyone was saying “Mewtwo.” I honestly didn’t believe it at first, I thought it was another fake leak.)

May be moot anyway since I’m out of country next week so it comes on at dinnertime.

Let’s go Space Pirates! Never Falter!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I sadly can’t say I’m going into this Smash Bros with much excitement. Last Smash failed to grab me, and I only ended up playing it with friends and being overall unimpressed. I’m not expecting much, so if we see...whatever...at E3 rather than Ridley, it won’t change anything other than the fact that I have an extra $60 to spend on a different game.

I’d love to be wrong and see something genuinely impressive and not “wow this one has more characters” but as much hope and trust as I have for Nintendo these days, Smash doesn’t really fall under that umbrella. I hope genuinely for the rest of all of you who do still find fun in this series that Ridley shows up. I’ll be right there cheering with you if he does. Just remember that there’s plenty of chance Ridley isn’t going to show, like at all. Don’t get too worked up.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I sadly can’t say I’m going into this Smash Bros with much excitement. Last Smash failed to grab me, and I only ended up playing it with friends and being overall unimpressed. I’m not expecting much, so if we see...whatever...at E3 rather than Ridley, it won’t change anything other than the fact that I have an extra $60 to spend on a different game.

I’d love to be wrong and see something genuinely impressive and not “wow this one has more characters” but as much hope and trust as I have for Nintendo these days, Smash doesn’t really fall under that umbrella. I hope genuinely for the rest of all of you who do still find fun in this series that Ridley shows up. I’ll be right there cheering with you if he does. Just remember that there’s plenty of chance Ridley isn’t going to show, like at all. Don’t get too worked up.
I share this sentiment. If Ridley ended up being playable in Smash 4, it would have been bittersweet: I finally would have gotten my most wanted, but he's in a game I don't enjoy. Still, if I end up disliking Smash Switch, I sincerely hope for everyone that Ridley is playable.
In the end, the online will make or break this game for me, because I already know none of my friends are going to buy Smash Switch.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Here are the pictures that I talked about yesterday of Ridley getting stuck beneath Pyrosphere on my first time playing on the stage:

As if I wasn't disappointed with the whole thing already, that really just felt like the game was rubbing salt in the wound. Only thing I did was hit him with Mega Man's Down-Smash and he just sort of fell under the stage and got stuck, I can't remember if he ever got out. It just capped off how everything relating to Ridley in Smash 4 was a miserable experience for me.

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
I'm surprised there seems to be a lot of displeasure directed towards Smash 4. Yeah, the whole Ridley on Pyrosphere thing hurt (Sakurai really should've just been straightforward on him being a stage boss), but the polish of the gameplay actually makes SSB4 my favorite Smash.

...Of course, back in the pre-Smash 4 days, my Top 5 in order were Shulk, Mewtwo, Ridley, Paper Mario, and Ghirahim. Since I got both Shulk and Mewtwo (who were higher in my 'want' list that time around over Ridley), I guess I'm less salty over the whole thing.
I also wasn't very active online pre-Brawl, and Smash 4 was the first time I joined in speculation.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here are the pictures that I talked about yesterday of Ridley getting stuck beneath Pyrosphere on my first time playing on the stage:

As if I wasn't disappointed with the whole thing already, that really just felt like the game was rubbing salt in the wound. Only thing I did was hit him with Mega Man's Down-Smash and he just sort of fell under the stage and got stuck, I can't remember if he ever got out. It just capped off how everything relating to Ridley in Smash 4 was a miserable experience for me.
And that was your first time playing on the stage?

Ouch. That really is rubbing salt in the wound.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And that was your first time playing on the stage?

Ouch. That really is rubbing salt in the wound.
Yeah, it was a day or two after launch, I only played on it because you had to in an event match, I've otherwise tried to avoid it like the plague (although that is mostly because it's a horrid stage in general). It was so absurd that it was comical, my brother found it hilarious as he knew how much time I had spent on speculation.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guys reminder

E3 starts tomorrow so from that point to Tuesday we could get a leaked demo roster and Ridley could be on it

Or early Nintendo direct footage leaked

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm surprised there seems to be a lot of displeasure directed towards Smash 4. Yeah, the whole Ridley on Pyrosphere thing hurt (Sakurai really should've just been straightforward on him being a stage boss), but the polish of the gameplay actually makes SSB4 my favorite Smash.
The stage boss thing was displeasing, but Sm4sh had a ton of small problems that just accumulated it into being my least favorite in the series.
The majority of the newcomers were "pretty humanoids" rather than cartoonish or monstrous, the majority of new stages alongside the stage bosses were awful, best exemplified by Pac-Land, and the single player experience was mediocre.
The only thing that lets me revisit it from time to time is Mega Man and Cloud.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The stage boss thing was displeasing, but Sm4sh had a ton of small problems that just accumulated it into being my least favorite in the series.
The majority of the newcomers were "pretty humanoids" rather than cartoonish or monstrous, the majority of new stages alongside the stage bosses were awful, best exemplified by Pac-Land, and the single player experience was mediocre.
The only thing that lets me revisit it from time to time is Mega Man and Cloud.
My biggest problems with Smash 4 are:

(1) Only four franchises already present in Smash got a newcomer.
(2) Lack of several fan-favorite characters that other Smash games got.
(3) Way too much attention to third-parties in the DLC.
(4) Ridley got wasted.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

...Of course, back in the pre-Smash 4 days, my Top 5 in order were Shulk, Mewtwo, Ridley, Paper Mario, and Ghirahim. Since I got both Shulk and Mewtwo (who were higher in my 'want' list that time around over Ridley), I guess I'm less salty over the whole thing.
I also wasn't very active online pre-Brawl, and Smash 4 was the first time I joined in speculation.
Actually about that

That's kind of why I'm still specious to this day why the show only his shadow and not just reveal him in general especially because he was a stage boss on that stage

I mean look at the things

Shadow footage
1 the grab seemed a little jank like a playable
2 I did the shadow pin points thing on as many playable as possible on smash 4 speculation based on the size he's probably 1/6 or 1/4 taller than bowser (especially since his tail spike was about only by ever so slight taller than pikachu and it's slightly shorter than anothny in other m)
3 at the very end of the shadow footage if you slow it down we could possibly see a jump animation
4 After the reveal of boss Ridley I realized the shadow footage was stationary in the air and didn't hurt pikachu at all but the official Ridley is never a sitting duck In the air (never stops moving in the air only on the ground besides attacking)

offical boss has a few supsicious things too
1 how he falls when you get him to your side looks weird it's almost looks like a regular character fall it's almost like they slowed it down for the boss
2 he's the only boss from all of them on both version to get the character knocked out shockwave even the comet tall on the way out.
3 those 3 slash attacks could have ben slowed down too as if there's were the AAA attacks
4 do I even need to talk about stock icon?

Basicly I think sakurai is refusing to admit the fact they attempted to make Ridley playable but they failed to do it.

I know this sounds paranoid it's just a part of my brain that's still skeptical

osby

Smash Obsessed
Actually about that

That's kind of why I'm still specious to this day why the show only his shadow and not just reveal him in general especially because he was a stage boss on that stage

Shadow footage
2 I did the shadow pin points thing on as many playable as possible on smash 4 speculation based on the size he's probably 1/6 or 1/4 taller than bowser (especially since his tail spike was about only by ever so slight taller than pikachu and it's slightly shorter than anothny in other m)
3 at the very end of the shadow footage if you slow it down we could possibly see a jump animation
4 After the reveal of boss Ridley I realized the shadow footage was stationary in the air and didn't hurt pikachu at all but the official Ridley is never a sitting duck In the air (never stops moving in the air only on the ground besides attacking)

1 how he falls when you get him to your side looks weird it's almost looks like a regular character fall it's almost like they slowed it down for the boss
2 he's the only boss from all of them on both version to get the character knocked out shockwave even the comet tall on the way out.
3 those 3 slash attacks could have ben slowed down too as if there's were the AAA attacks

Basicly I think sakurai is refusing to admit the fact they attempted to make Ridley playable but they failed to do it.

I'm pretty sure you are being paranoid.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This again...Most of this "playable character" stuff is from Other M. That weird butt attack? Other M. Claw swipes? Other M. Falling animation? Other M. Even his entry attack matches up with one of his animations from Other M fairly well. I can post animations for comparison if needed. They aren't 1:1, but if you think they actually put effort into that thing, then oh boy, I've got a lot to tell ya.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
My biggest problems with Smash 4 are:

(1) Only four franchises already present in Smash got a newcomer.
(2) Lack of several fan-favorite characters that other Smash games got.
(3) Way too much attention to third-parties in the DLC.
(4) Ridley got wasted.
1) I assume at the time the :4mario::4pikachu::4pit::4marth:series had a lot more interesting characters that could be used well and had interest as well as relevancy (also made room for new series to join(:4bayonetta::4cloud::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4megaman::4miif::4pacman::4ryu::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit:))
2) :icsmelee:doesn’t need explanation, :snake:shouldn’t be a shocker, :squirtle::ivysaur::wolf:were likely low priority
3) well they did bring a huge amount of hype for dlc (just 3/7 of them were dlc, 1 was voted in, and only 1 Nintendo character was a newcomer)
4) it was either a boss, assist trophy or nothing

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
it was either a boss, assist trophy or nothing
Nothing would have been much better than whatever the hell they cooked up. It's literally the worst model Ridley ever had throughout all these years (and it's a major downgrade of an already existing model too) and the whole idea is so stupid you can quote AVGN here.

Last edited:

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
There's something that people arent giving much highlight. If the no-cuts part its true, plus the return of old veterans, that could line up with the 20th anniversary (on january 2019 was the japanese launch of smash 64), which is why i think they will try to make this smash truly special. (Also i expect a new smash 20 anniversary logo)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nothing would have been much better than whatever the hell they cooked up. It's literally the worst model Ridley ever had throughout all these years (and it's a major downgrade of an already existing model too) and the whole idea is so stupid you can quote AVGN here.
While I agree about the model, I accepted him as a boss since I could atleast have the feeling of something being there (unlike the IC)

osby

Smash Obsessed
While I agree about the model, I accepted him as a boss since I could atleast have the feeling of something being there (unlike the IC)
Yep, Ridley is guaranteed for the next game. This is more than I can say for quite a few playable characters and a lot of nonplayable characters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yep, Ridley is guaranteed for the next game. This is more than I can say for quite a few playable characters and a lot of nonplayable characters.
Like who? Cause I can’t think of any major characters not making any sort of comeback (minor ones definitely)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Like who? Cause I can’t think of any major characters not making any sort of comeback (minor ones definitely)
Well, I was mostly talking about previously cut characters, sorry if I didn't worded it correctly. Like Wolf or Snake. Or Isaac, if we are talking about side characters.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Well, I was mostly talking about previously cut characters, sorry if I didn't worded it correctly. Like Wolf or Snake. Or Isaac, if we are talking about side characters.
I don't care about Isaac one way or the other, but I never understood why he went from an AT in Brawl to completely cut in Smash 4. Like, at least keep him as an AT.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ah, those who have already been cut. Wolf I wouldn’t mind coming back...though if he doesn’t Etika will be tormented (Snake is a 50/50 for me), and I totally forgot about Issac (thought he would’ve been a new character in 4 tbh)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
There's something that people arent giving much highlight. If the no-cuts part its true, plus the return of old veterans, that could line up with the 20th anniversary (on january 2019 was the japanese launch of smash 64), which is why i think they will try to make this smash truly special. (Also i expect a new smash 20 anniversary logo)
Oh, that would be incredible!

:squirtle::ivysaur::squirtle::ivysaur:

I miss those guys so much, and they really don’t have the support other vets have

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That’s actually why I’m hoping the base roster of Smash Switch is 64 characters (including Miis)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't care about Isaac one way or the other, but I never understood why he went from an AT in Brawl to completely cut in Smash 4. Like, at least keep him as an AT.
His "Move" was pretty buggy on some stages, apparently.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Actually about that

Shadow footage

3ds is what prob prevented him from happening

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Actually about that

Shadow footage

A lot of people brought this up when it happened. We never had a solid answer for it. Closest thing to it was what BaganSmashBros said and that they were legitimate reused animations from Other M. Even then it doesn’t completely explain everything else surrounding the situation. The work put into Ridley was pretty far from a lot, but it definitely seem like the original intention was him being playable. Wouldn’t surprise me if Sakurai just said **** it in the middle of it all and slapped on a reused model and animations to make him a stage boss.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
A lot of people brought this up when it happened. We never had a solid answer for it. Closest thing to it was what BaganSmashBros said and that they were legitimate reused animations from Other M. Even then it doesn’t completely explain everything else surrounding the situation. The work put into Ridley was pretty far from a lot, but it definitely seem like the original intention was him being playable. Wouldn’t surprise me if Sakurai just said **** it in the middle of it all and slapped on a reused model and animations to make him a stage boss.
I really doubt that's the case. In terms of mechanics and moveset, Ridley isn't anything complicated, so, it had to be something completely unrelated to gameplay and system limitations. With that in mind, there would be absolutely no reason to simply drop him in the middle of development.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
So assuming they actually announce Ridley on Tuesday or for this next Smash game, how would everyone feel if they did the Other M model. I honestly wouldn't care too much either way, just because he would finally be in the game. But if they were to make him a character they would try to make him look appropriate to scale and out of all his models, the Other M model would probably be the best one to scale to some degree. Would everyone be ok with him like that?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ridley speculation is fun, so let's talk about how you would expect him to be implemented if he were added this time. I'll mention some possibilities:
-Ridley goes through growth stages like in Other M
-Ridley is scaled down
-Ridley is his Other M, Samus Returns, or Prime 4 design
-Ridley is his full size
-Ridley is a playable boss
-Ridley cannot be grabbed
-Ridley has a command grab
-Ridley has a cargo throw like DK
-Ridley has no hurtbox on his tail or wings
-Ridley has massive disjoint on his tail
-Ridley borrows attacks from his brawl and smash 4 boss battles
-Ridley has a godlike aerial game and pathetic ground game
-Ridley has fire that differs heavily from bowser/charizard
-Ridley is the biggest character in the game
-Ridley is competitively either unviable or overpowered due to his design

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
So assuming they actually announce Ridley on Tuesday or for this next Smash game, how would everyone feel if they did the Other M model. I honestly wouldn't care too much either way, just because he would finally be in the game. But if they were to make him a character they would try to make him look appropriate to scale and out of all his models, the Other M model would probably be the best one to scale to some degree. Would everyone be ok with him like that?
in my mind the three worst possible fates for Ridley are, in order:
  1. getting him in after years and years of beating around the bush - but he's got some ridiculous gimmick that makes him horrible to play with
  2. not getting him at all
  3. what you said
it's ugly as hell, it's from a game nobody liked, and canonically it isn't even really him. i mean if he's still fun to use then i guess i'd suck it up and just hope for a better design next Smash, but it would sure put a damper on things in the short term

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
in my mind the three worst possible fates for Ridley are, in order:
  1. getting him in after years and years of beating around the bush - but he's got some ridiculous gimmick that makes him horrible to play with
  2. not getting him at all
  3. what you said
it's ugly as hell, it's from a game nobody liked, and canonically it isn't even really him. i mean if he's still fun to use then i guess i'd suck it up and just hope for a better design next Smash, but it would sure put a damper on things in the short term
Don't mind the other m model, only dislike 1 if it's a playable boss mode where he's not legal in competitive play.

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
Considering Bowser's size in odyssey (over 20 ft tall, considering Mario is 5'01"), how would Ridley be too big? I mean, Ridley is only 2-3 times Samus's height (6'3"), so that would put Ridley at about 18'9".
2017102614375300-8AEDFF741E2D23FBED39474178692DAF.jpg

Mario is 5'01".
There are school buses smaller than Bowser in this image.
And if size is an issue, how does a pink ball with a diameter of 8 inches or a tiny man 19 mm tall (3 quarters of an inch) get in?

I think it was just 3DS limitations or a lack of time/resources.

Top Bottom