• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
So was Jonneh the only Resetera mod who teased/hinted Ridley? If so, what's interesting is that he appeared on Gamexplain's Smash Prediction video yesterday and said he believes Ridley is going to be a full on playable character, and that he's "certain of it".
Needless to say, it will be really interesting if he's present during the Ridley video Gx is likely going to post tomorrow.
I think he's the only one who made teases more than once. Whether he's trolling or not remains to be seen. We're only a few days away now. If Ridley isn't at E3 I think it's safe to say it's unlikely he's in. Mainly because E3 would be THE place to show off our beloved space dragon. Especially if it coincides with the gameplay reveal.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I think he's the only one who made teases more than once. Whether he's trolling or not remains to be seen. We're only a few days away now. If Ridley isn't at E3 I think it's safe to say it's unlikely he's in. Mainly because E3 would be THE place to show off our beloved space dragon. Especially if it coincides with the gameplay reveal.
Yeah it's confusing, especially since Jonneh seems to be a credible leaker due to hinting at that new Mario Tennis game shortly before the Direct even announced it.
I would like to believe he's not joking around, but I guess it's a waiting game for all of us. Regardless, I'm gonna keep an eye out for Gamexplain's Ridley video tomorrow.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So was Jonneh the only Resetera mod who teased/hinted Ridley? If so, what's interesting is that he appeared on Gamexplain's Smash Prediction video yesterday and said he believes Ridley is going to be a full on playable character, and that he's "certain of it".
Needless to say, it will be really interesting if he's present during the Ridley video Gx is likely going to post tomorrow.
Another mod did tease Ridley during that same time just before the direct but only once I believe. Jonneh's tag on Era now says something like "Geoform 187 isn't that big" lol.

We'll see! I'm just having a ton of fun this time around partially because people seem a little more willing to accept the idea that Ridley could be playable. Love that Resetera is Ridlifying their avatars! Thats the kind of stuff that keeps the talk going for now or the future. Still I really think there is a good chance!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It really is amazing how much one little change can bring down an entire design. I dislike the Other M design on the whole, and think both the classic design (Super/Prime Trilogy) and Samus Returns blow it out of the water, but it’s those GODDAMN SHOULDERS that make it so awful, and I don’t even know why. Another Metroid 2 Remake uses what is basically the Other M design with the Prime pauldrons and cannon barrel (so it’s not pointy) and it’s 100% more tolerable.

If we get the Samus Returns Varia Suit I’m going to be pleased as pudding. I like that one a lot aside from the cannon still being pointy.
I thought Ridley wasn't in AM2R

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Joneh isn’t in that video though.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's interesting. I won't read too much into it, but if he's showing confidence that he'll get in Smash (and if Gamexplain isn't voicing their various doubts like they normally do) then this could possibly be a sign of things to come.

It's getting harder and harder to not expect Ridley for Smash Switch. I've been burned before, and I refuse to assume anything until an official confirmation.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Another mod said it too, and someone who’s in their circle have said that Ridley being in Smash Switch was actually popular talk among every insider there and that Jonneh outright said he’s in the game.

That's interesting. I won't read too much into it, but if he's showing confidence that he'll get in Smash (and if Gamexplain isn't voicing their various doubts like they normally do) then this could possibly be a sign of things to come.

It's getting harder and harder to not expect Ridley for Smash Switch. I've been burned before, and I refuse to assume anything until an official confirmation.
I honestly think that Jonneh (and the other mods) may have seen early footage of Ridley in the game for him to be this confident. Unless his source is very deep in Nintendo, I cannot imagine being this sure over a text leak. And it makes sense why he’s just teasing so hard too; If you mentioned that you seen footage, people would ask for it. You don’t wanna get them fired. But yeah, I’m fully expecting Ridley at this point which is either a good thing or a bad thing. Time will tell.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman

Yeah I just rewatched the video, and Jonneh/Jon said "I think Ridley's finally going to be in, and his amiibo is going to be the size of Detective Pikachu's".

Another mod said it too, and someone who’s in their circle have said that Ridley being in Smash Switch was actually popular talk among every insider there and that Jonneh outright said he’s in the game.
Man I really hope this is true. I'm putting stock into Jonneh, but I heard that the other mods were just joking about it. Y'know "too big lolz" and all that.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Yeah I just rewatched the video, and Jonneh/Jon said "I think Ridley's finally going to be in, and his amiibo is going to be the size of Detective Pikachu's".

Man I really hope this is true. I'm putting stock into Jonneh, but I heard that the other mods were just joking about it. Y'know "too big lolz" and all that.
I think that was just speculation from people trying to doubt the claims. I mean they could very well be joking, but like I said; Someone in their circle outright said that Ridley being playable has been a hot topic among every insider there. So there’s a lot more to this than just Jonneh.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I like to think they know they’d be killing their credibility by pulling such an elaborate ruse for this long and many would never trust them again in the aftermath, but we’ll soon see I guess if any of this pans out regardless.

Link to the mentioned video?

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I like to think they know they’d be killing their credibility by pulling such an elaborate ruse for this long and many would never trust them again in the aftermath, but we’ll soon see I guess if any of this pans out regardless.

Link to the mentioned video?
Skip around to 30:20.
Also, a forewarning: When Andre mentions how they're going to discuss Ridley later this weekend, that's just their own content. They aren't exactly going to reveal some clues that says they 100% know Ridley is going to be playable.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If Ridley did manage to make it in my dream design would probably be his Zero Mission design. It's really aesthetically pleasing while maintaining the Ridley look.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Posted this before, but this is my ideal Ridley design compared to Samus.

This is how he would look in-game.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've always felt Ridley's gimmick should be having a flight mode with a new set of attacks. His up B launches him in the air and he can fly a set amount of time. He could then stretch out and keep his menacing presence, while on the ground he's more hunched up. I really like the flight mode idea because I think I have a good way to balance it. In flight mode he can be in the air, say....10 seconds. In flight mode he has jumps like Kirby that act as his recovery, but every time he jumps he loses time in flight mode.

Ridley's size personally when hunched I feel should still be the largest character in the game, but it wouldn't be absurdly so. It's when he stretches out in flight that he really shows his size. Giving him a clear weakness because of his large hitbox while retaining his character.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Ok people, I am really pumped up (I know I shouldn't be) for this Tuesday and see finally Ridley playable in smash.
But IN CASE our big guy doesn't make it in what other character reveal would more or less make you feel better?
I mean for me Ridley is my number #1 for a big margin and i would be dissapointed and sad if he wasn't in but if they revealed Banjo-Kazooie it would make me feel much better.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Elma, believe it or not. I really enjoyed Xenoblade X, and Elma is dubbed by one of my favorite voice actresses in anime(Caitlin Glass). Coupled with being a femme badass and having some solid moveset potential, I'd really like to see Elma in Smash

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Ok people, I am really pumped up (I know I shouldn't be) for this Tuesday and see finally Ridley playable in smash.
But IN CASE our big guy doesn't make it in what other character reveal would more or less make you feel better?
I mean for me Ridley is my number #1 for a big margin and i would be dissapointed and sad if he wasn't in but if they revealed Banjo-Kazooie it would make me feel much better.
For me, Rayman, Shantae or Dark Samus would make me feel better if Ridley got denied again.
(Well, or Wolf returning. I'd feel pretty good if that happened.)

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Wolf and/or K Rool. I miss Wolf so much.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Ashley. Pretty big (heheh) departure from a space dragon to a little witch, but I'm a big fan of Ashley. I'd also pick another Metroid newcomer like Dark Samus but at this point I don't think it's likely.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've really gotta say - Riddles and K.Rool are my two most wanted, and it's all because of the fanbases. Didn't really have anything for them before, and I wasn't involved in Brawl speculation, so Sm4sh was my first real go with the whole speculation thing here. It was the Rids and K.Rool threads that really got me hopeful for them. I don't even know if they'd hype me as much as make me happy that they're finally not being snubbed after all this time.

At this point, the most I'll be hyped is for vets to come back (Squirtle FTW, Mewtwo, not too many changes to Link). I'm really just hoping that these guys make it in. Honestly, there very few characters that will get me overly hyped to the point that I won't even care about the rest of the roster, but they're so unlikely it's not ever gonna happen (Dovahkiin and Urbosa)

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean I wouldn't say Ridley is snubbed. He's included in some way in every game and starting with Brawl he's been given special appearances so Sakurai does go out of his way for the guy, he just hasn't been able to make him playable. Though I'd love for this to be the game where things click and Ridley is playable. I love the Metroid series and Ridley has some cool fights but I've never become super attached to him but his fans have had to endure so much that I just really want them to get their character.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
K. Rool or Snake would be the only ones that come to mind. Maybe some ridiculous surprise character reveal that I hadn't thought of would also work, but my top three most-wanted are those two and Ridley. (whether K. Rool is second and Ridley is third or it's the other way around varies heavily)

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Posted this before, but this is my ideal Ridley design compared to Samus.

This is how he would look in-game.
That's really good, and if Sakurai managed to put Ridley in the game, I hope it's a variation of the Samus Returns design.
That said, I think you should make him slightly bigger. The pics make it look like he only comes up to Samus's head while hunched

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Gamexplain's make a case video for Ridley
Man, the Defense is kind of poking at strawmen, and totally ignoring the importance of Ridley in the Metroid series. Doesn't really help that his voice (Derick?) is grating. At some points it seems like he was bringing up flimsy points like size and "character", just to complete the "court room" narrative.

Of course, if he wanted to bring up good points, talking about Sakurai's history with getting the character to work in one way or another, would've actually been a valid point that would require meaningful counterarguments that really did their research.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wolf and K. Rool aside (assuming no cuts still applies), Simon Belmont. Not only my most wanted 3rd party, but would make me feel a bit better about Ridley’s chances as well in the event we don’t see him at E3.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't really like that Ridley has become sort of expected the past few days, ResetEra is absolutely bonkers for him atm, and GameXplain + their guests putting so much faith in him in their prediction video puts that expectation out to a wider audience, and the general argument that "It's time" isn't exactly build on a strong foundation. To me it's still easy to see a reality where the leaks are false, and unfortunately it's gotten to a point where in that scenario there's going to be chaos in the Smash fanbase and a massive witchhunt for Vergeben's head.

As far as I've seen the senior Ridley fans are keeping their heads cool, but it's the wider Smash fanbase where things are getting a bit too wild.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't really like that Ridley has become sort of expected the past few days, ResetEra is absolutely bonkers for him atm, and GameXplain + their guests putting so much faith in him in their prediction video puts that expectation out to a wider audience, and the general argument that "It's time" isn't exactly build on a strong foundation. To me it's still easy to see a reality where the leaks are false, and unfortunately it's gotten to a point where in that scenario there's going to be chaos in the Smash fanbase and a massive witchhunt for Vergeben's head.

As far as I've seen the senior Ridley fans are keeping their heads cool, but it's the wider Smash fanbase where things are getting a bit too wild.
Yeah, same. Ridley hype’s gone to such a fever pitch hype that I kind of worry what would happen if he’s a no-show at E3. I’ve already accepted the possibility of it happening and his exclusion wouldn’t really phase me at this point, but seeing so many people apparently expect his inclusion this time around, even from apparently credible people, I don’t know, I still think this is going to blow up in everyone’s faces.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And then it’ll be followed with by “See? Ridley fans are toxic!” after meltdowns happen (not so much here or with the veteran supporters but elsewhere) for being given such high expectations of him thanks to certain outlets, and then we’ll probably have a social stigma against us again for awhile as a result, but we’re no stranger to that are we?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It can't be helped. Once a general narrative gets out, more and more people bandwagon onto the idea until it's viewed as absolute. Then, when that idea turns out to be wrong, people act like it was completely unprecedented, even when there was no concrete evidence or substantial context to support their idea as being "obvious" or "guaranteed to happen".

People need to keep their expectations in check. Don't let the vocal majority influence you enough to where you'll be shocked come Tuesday when there's no Ridley reveal.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Yeah, same. Ridley hype’s gone to such a fever pitch hype that I kind of worry what would happen if he’s a no-show at E3. I’ve already accepted the possibility of it happening and his exclusion wouldn’t really phase me at this point, but seeing so many people apparently expect his inclusion this time around, even from apparently credible people, I don’t know, I still think this is going to blow up in everyone’s faces.
I notice some people are to hopeful as well

Yes the vergeben gained creditbility from the konami thing but that doesn't confirm Ridley nor the leak

Because not everything in a can be confirmed real especially in the gemusatu leak he got everything right except chrom and chorus men (but very possible was correct though due to data mining)

That's why king k rool would make a little more sense to me as a revel if the leak is fake. (The most requested first party character despite relevance being a problem but I can't see why relevance isn't a problem since mr game and watch nor R.O.B have ever had a new game and clearly they existed before smash historical to Nintendo is why they'd got in.)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
While I somehow doubt Ridley will be at E3, I still feel like making something special so I can post it IF he is revealed.

It would be better not to believe any leaks no matter how credible they are. I mean it's not like any of those guys speak in red or anything of the sort. Even if their sources were legit, things could have changed after the information got out. It also could have been bait to find out who does it. PMDT did something like this with Skullkid being the bait.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
While I somehow doubt Ridley will be at E3, I still feel like making something special so I can post it IF he is revealed.

It would be better not to believe any leaks no matter how credible they are. I mean it's not like any of those guys speak in red or anything of the sort. Even if their sources were legit, things could have changed after the information got out. It also could have been bait to find out who does it. PMDT did something like this with Skullkid being the bait.
Yeah, the general thread has a few people sure of the Vergeben leak now that Jump Force and Just Cause 4 are confirmed, but we can't forget Gematsu and Chrom/Chorus Kids. No matter what's real or fake, it will all be revealed in less than two days anyways. Might as well just ignore all the outside noise when it's so close.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Yeah, the general thread has a few people sure of the Vergeben leak now that Jump Force and Just Cause 4 are confirmed, but we can't forget Gematsu and Chrom/Chorus Kids. No matter what's real or fake, it will all be revealed in less than two days anyways. Might as well just ignore all the outside noise when it's so close.
I could have "predicted" Just cause 4, haven't been keeping track of the jump games though

Top Bottom