• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
On Vergeben, if Ridley is a no show, we need to spread the word and tell the others NOT to attack him. The Ridley rumors didn't start with Verg, he just brought them into the eyes of the public. The rumors started with the mods at Resetera, specifically the ones known as Jonneh and Nibel. As far as I know though, Jonneh is still confident that Ridley will become a playable character, as you saw in Gamexplain's case for Ridley video.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Oh god oh god oh god Ridley is gonna happen, I can feel it, I can almost feel it, I'm not ready for this...

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, to be honest, aren't most of the things Vergeben gets wrong not associated with Namdai/Netherrealm?

I'm more inclined to believe his Namdai info, which Smash Switch counts for, considering he seems to have legitimate connections there. JumpForce is Namdai, so...

It's why stuff like his MVCI leaks being wrong aren't necessarily relevant.

This is good news though. Here's hoping he's not bull****ting us. But remember, even without him, Ridley's odds of being at E3 are decent. I'm not going to say it's the end of the world even if nothing pans out either.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
This is why I hate rumours, yes you don't have to believe them, but there isn't exactly a filter to stop seeing posts people make about them, it's going to be Smash 4 rumours all over again, why can't people learn? And just to reiterate, all of these so called "predictions" that happened were incredibly safe bets.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
And then both were confirmed to had been in the game at some point, but at the last second sakurai cut them out.
that leak was wrong because the info was very old.
Be cautious with it still being fake so it doesn't blow up in our faces

Beside that would make the hype even better

Zeox

Smash Champion
Be cautious with it still being fake so it doesn't blow up in our faces

Beside that would make the hype even better
Don't worry for me, I want it to blow on my face, it's been too long since last time it happen and I want to know what it truly feels to be a Ridley fan, which it means disappointment and sadness, THAT is the real Ridley's fan experience.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Hoo, boy, these next few days are gonna be interesting.

Still, I'll be keeping my expectations low until I see a Smash Bros. trailer uploaded by Nintendo/Sakurai themselves featuring a purple dragon named Ridley alongside the word "newcomer". All I can really say at this point is let's hope that these years of waiting will finally come to an end...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Don't worry for me, I want it to blow on my face, it's been too long since last time it happen and I want to know what it truly feels to be a Ridley fan, which it means disappointment and sadness, THAT is the real Ridley's fan experience.
Glad to hear you can take the explosion if fake

I mean remember when we thought for sure king k rool would take the cake on the ballot

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Glad to hear you can take the explosion if fake

I mean remember when we thought for sure king k rool would take the cake on the ballot
To be honest, I never could bring myself to 100% believe in the ballot, especially after King Mii Rool showed up.

But keep hope alive!

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I mean, to be honest, aren't most of the things Vergeben gets wrong not associated with Namdai/Netherrealm?

I'm more inclined to believe his Namdai info, which Smash Switch counts for, considering he seems to have legitimate connections there. JumpForce is Namdai, so...

It's why stuff like his MVCI leaks being wrong aren't necessarily relevant.

This is good news though. Here's hoping he's not bull****ting us. But remember, even without him, Ridley's odds of being at E3 are decent. I'm not going to say it's the end of the world even if nothing pans out either.
Yeah, pretty much the majority of the things he has gotten right were Bamco related. He did get some information from his Bamco sources wrong (Mostly some Soul Calibur stuff about it coming to the Switch and not the Xbone, but he got pretty much everything else correct including stuff for new characters). And pretty much the only thing he got right about Nintendo so far was that Bamco was developing MP4, so it's rather safe to assume that his Smash information can be coming from Bamco too. He also seems like he has some sources in Capcom and Konami, but they're not as prominent as his Bamco ones. Not gonna allow myself to think this is 100% happening, but there's definitely hope.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Uhh.....

The jump fight thing that vergeben said....

Nobody except him said that...

And someone just ask Microsoft during the spyro trilogy reveal about if they are involved on the switch

Awkward pause and some what said "ok moving on."

Dudes I'm getting nauseous we could get both spyro as future dlc and Ridley still assuming fake

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm starting to find both sides of the Ridley debate infuriating. Everyone's getting hung up on how "Ridley could(n't) be scaled down directly from the games", yet it's wayyyy too hard to find anyone who discusses "Ridley's proportions make him suited to being scaled down", or "Ridley's proportions could be redesigned for Smash".

There's a far more interesting discussion to be had about how Ridley could be redesigned or not if he were to be scaled down, but I just can't find anyone who is interested in that subject matter. It's all about "Ridley could be directly scaled down from the games" or not.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly, I'm starting to find both sides of the Ridley debate infuriating. Everyone's getting hung up on how "Ridley could(n't) be scaled down directly from the games", yet it's wayyyy too hard to find anyone who discusses "Ridley's proportions make him suited to being scaled down", or "Ridley's proportions could be redesigned for Smash".

There's a far more interesting discussion to be had about how Ridley could be redesigned or not if he were to be scaled down, but I just can't find anyone who is interested in that subject matter. It's all about "Ridley could be directly scaled down from the games" or not.
It's funny. Talking about Ridley's proportions (at least in the era of Other M) was part of Sakurai's reason for not being able to comfortably get him to work iirc. It's completely feasible that Sakurai could *slightly* redesign him to work (and obviously, Proteus Ridley seems to have much better proportions for it, so using that as a base (while taking the metal parts away(?)) could be a perfect way to do it.

But people arguing against him never seem to bring proportions up, and are just like "lolol too big". Even in the GameXplain "Defense" video, no proportions mentioned, just size. Do better, GX.

There is a good chance i'll forget. . .but i might do a ridley theme per day lol.

Using one of my favorite little niche thingson the Wii U, Metroid Blast. THat mode had no business ebing so fun.

Ive said it before and i'll say it again. It's crazy to see Smashers being hyped about Ridley. Ridley! Of all characters! DO you know how weird that is after the constant deconfirmations that just about every site for smash is talking about RIdley all the time for E3? That's crazy talk and Ridley should have been a definitive "no" but here we are. Crazy to think. Brace yourselves :p
:061:

Quillion

Smash Hero
But people arguing against him never seem to bring proportions up, and are just like "lolol too big". Even in the GameXplain "Defense" video, no proportions mentioned, just size. Do better, GX.
Honestly, that video was the last straw for me regarding the whole debate. I was hoping they in their infinite wisdom could avoid sidestepping the whole "proportions" issue, but they did anyway. I honestly had to hold back a loud groan to not disturb my family.

Honestly, I can certainly see some value in changing his proportions to make him playable, but I also have to acknowledge that the process could be difficult without infuriating Metroid fans as well. There are just some rather severe flaws in regards to all of Ridley's canon designs in regards to making him playable:
  • Metroid 1: Looks nothing like current Ridley
  • Super: Wings are too small and he's too curled up.
  • Fusion: Still too curled up, and his limbs are too long.
  • Zero Mission: Arms and hands are too big.
  • Prime Trilogy: Wings are ginormous.
  • Other M: Wings are still enormous, and the human-like muscles just look ugly on him.
  • Samus Returns: Wings are still enormous (not as much as Prime or Other M, though), but his tail is too long.
Please, is there anyone out there who has a good Ridley redesign that makes him suitable as a playable character?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly, that video was the last straw for me regarding the whole debate. I was hoping they in their infinite wisdom could avoid sidestepping the whole "proportions" issue, but they did anyway. I honestly had to hold back a loud groan to not disturb my family.

Honestly, I can certainly see some value in changing his proportions to make him playable, but I also have to acknowledge that the process could be difficult without infuriating Metroid fans as well. There are just some rather severe flaws in regards to all of Ridley's canon designs in regards to making him playable:
  • Other M: Wings are still enormous, and the human-like muscles just look ugly on him.
  • Samus Returns: Wings are still enormous (not as much as Prime or Other M, though), but his tail is too long.
Please, is there anyone out there who has a good Ridley redesign that makes him suitable as a playable character?

Honestly, I feel like Metroid fans won't throw a huge stink if the tail is a bit shorter than normal. It can be decently long, but if you take the Samus Returns design and shrink the wings and tail a bit, while still making them prominent (Charizard manages to have prominent wings and a tail and be perfectly playable), I think people would just be happy to have him. Mostly, anyway. There's always people.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, I feel like Metroid fans won't throw a huge stink if the tail is a bit shorter than normal. It can be decently long, but if you take the Samus Returns design and shrink the wings and tail a bit, while still making them prominent (Charizard manages to have prominent wings and a tail and be perfectly playable), I think people would just be happy to have him. Mostly, anyway. There's always people.
I think you're right in regards to the SR proportions being mostly the best in regards to making him playable. They, again, have to shrink his wings and tail to make it work, though.

But I've also always thought that his bodily proportions from the western Super Metroid boxart would work too.

It may be a bit too humanoid, and it looks nothing like his Super design, but I think that gets the wings and tail right, at least.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I've been working on one based on Samus Returns.

It looks a bit crowded to me, but that's because it's 8-player Smash. Wings shouldn't be a problem because he beats them so many times a second that they might as well not have a hitbox, and even in Samus Returns he has a tendency of tucking his tail in.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've been working on one based on Samus Returns.

It looks a bit crowded to me, but that's because it's 8-player Smash. Wings shouldn't be a problem because he beats them so many times a second that they might as well not have a hitbox, and even in Samus Returns he has a tendency of tucking his tail in.
Pretty good. Certainly better than either of the Brawl/PM mod attempts at forcing a canon design to be playable.

Actually, the only potential problem I see is how short he could look when grounded. Then again, looking back at Prime, he actually does look kind of short when grounded there.

Also, thank you for not making him bipedal. A ton of fan designs make the mistake of forcing bipedalism on him.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Pretty good. Certainly better than either of the Brawl/PM mod attempts at forcing a canon design to be playable.

Actually, the only potential problem I see is how short he could look when grounded. Then again, looking back at Prime, he actually does look kind of short when grounded there.

Also, thank you for not making him bipedal. A ton of fan designs make the mistake of forcing bipedalism on him.
Yeah, grounded Ridley is pretty much the only gripe I have with my current design.

I'm currently rationalizing it by saying that Ridley is in his element while he's actually flying, so grounded Ridley should look about as imposing as a midair Little Mac. While he's in flight mode, I tried scaling him so he would be slightly higher than eye-to-eye with Samus while hovering above the ground.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think the posture of grounded Ridley is good, but I feel like he'd be larger than that. About Bowsers size grounded. That would mean his flying size would be longer and easily the largest in the game, but I think that's the gimmick for Ridley.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I found a juicy leak! It’s confirmed the original teaser trailer was to feature Ridley, not the Inklings!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess one of the interesting things about Ridley is that there’s not necessarily a universally agreed or accepted way as to how he should work, but I see nothing wrong with a little bipedalism, long as it’s not overdone.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I'll one you up there: The most interesting discussion, at least in my opinion, is finding a way for Ridley to function as a playable character at the size he is. Makes for a much more unique fighter than trying to scrunch him down to fit Smash as he is.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I have little to no concern over people getting massively disappointed by being over hyped and over confident. I like when masses of people like this do get over hyped and excited because that in itself holds value. There is nothing inherently wrong with staying quiet and reserved but it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

People from Nintendo read sites like Resetera, seeing all that Ridley hysteria can only amount to good things in the future. People from IGN and Nintendo Power ask Sakurai directly about Ridley because of all the uproar people make of him.

Just keep up the discussion, hope for the best, prepare for the worst and in the meantime just enjoy yourself.

If Ridley got in this game it would only be because of the constant Ridley bickering and championing across social media from the last speculation period. I have a feeling Sakurai had no idea how massive the Ridley fanbase was until Smash 4 was revealed and by then it was too late, even for DLC. Same goes for K Rool with Nintendo as whole.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'll one you up there: The most interesting discussion, at least in my opinion, is finding a way for Ridley to function as a playable character at the size he is. Makes for a much more unique fighter than trying to scrunch him down to fit Smash as he is.
Bigger stages with speed/jump height scaled to deal with the environment change. Ridley would probably have a decent amount of invincibility, misleading hurtboxes, or take sponge damage, so he's not just combo food.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
A ton of fan designs make the mistake of forcing bipedalism on him.
There is a good reason for that. A bipedal Ridley is much easier to work with as he's much more compact thanks to his hunched over posture and most of Smash's cast is bipedal. A quadrupedal Ridley would have to hold items in his mouth or with his tail, but both of these would be used somehow in his attacks.
The whole thing with size AND proportions is subjective, so, I don't think there's much to discuss here without wasting time as everyone has their opinion on what looks good and what doesn't. Obviously Ridley with a giant head, 30 meters long tail and wings that surpass his size thrice over would be bad, but most of the already existing designs can work just fine with some changes (like decreasing Brawl Ridley's head and neck in size).

Also, apparently this is a thing:

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
There is a good reason for that. A bipedal Ridley is much easier to work with as he's much more compact and most of Smash's cast is bipedal. A quadrupedal Ridley would have to hold items in his mouth or with his tail, but both of these would be used somehow in his attacks.

Also, apparently this is a thing:
Mod over Charizard?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yes. Unfortunately, Charizard's proportions make it look ridiculous and bone edits aren't a thing just yet.

I'd like to quote the Shogun of Sorrow here.
Yeah it looks pretty messed up lol, but I always appreciate the effort.

Just a heads up, I can only see the images when responding.

St. 64

Smash Rookie
I think Ridley can work in smash. They can still convey his power and size by making him hunch. A lot. He would be the biggest character, but he just might work.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think the easiest way to deal with Ridley’s bulkiness is to use the Z-axis. If his wings and tail go out of the fighting plane, they’re pretty well irrelevant. I do like Ridley not too hunched over; then someone could walk right up in his face and grab him. Even if his wings are blocking them a bit, they’d be poking towards the screen so not important.

I also think people overstate how much of a problem we’d have with disproportionate Ridley. Obviously purple Dragonite is wrong, but if his body is a 1/6 scale and wings are 1/8, that may not look bad.

And since it’s a fact that comes up frequently: unpopular opinion - I don’t hate the Other M form. The muscles kinda look good to me. The face, on the other hand...that is not ok. Especially since every picture has some rogging glitch and his jaws are flapping all over the place.

Top Bottom