• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I spent too much time on Bowser. Also refined Ridley.
View attachment 141179
Also combined the Omega Metroid and Ridley to make an upright position. Personally not a fan but some people here might like it.
View attachment 141180
These are awesome. I'm a huge fan of that upright Ridley but I can see the more crouched down one too, perhaps as his dash posture?

Either way what I really love is the flying poses you've done. Ridley should be a mostly aerial fighter and you've made him look awesome.

I'm really hoping along with aerial game he also gets aerial grabs as a gimmick.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
What about Ridley's Zero Mission posture?
That could probably work (his feet look big enough for it), though I'm basing my models on Samus Returns where Ridley has horse legs. Closest other approximation would be Omega Ridley.
Not impossible though if I make him pose like Meta but standing on his tiptoes.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Assume the game is still being developed by the same stage magician that developed the previous four.

Ridley is the hot topic. He will be neither confirmed nor denied at E3, nor any significant amount of time before the game is released. In fact, if Ridley is confirmed playable in anything prior to the accolades trailer, assume it to be false, just because that's not how this one works.

There will be discussion of Smash at E3, yes. But they won't confirm any of the "hype three" before release.
Says you. No one can truly predict what is going to happen. It is obviously safe to assume Ridley isn't going to be announced and even safer to assume he isn't playable at all, but again, no one other than the devs can tell for sure.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Agreed. I think the pose you had him in before worked better.

This pose also kinda makes it look like Ridley is cowering, something he would never do against a silly ol' bounty hunter.
I agree, I just wanted to illustrate why that particular pose wouldn't have worked at my scale. He's usually posed like that because he literally looks down on Samus.

Probably gonna stick with my all-fours position, though the Omega mashup looks somewhat promising.
upload_2018-4-11_1-40-44.png

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
There will be discussion of Smash at E3, yes. But they won't confirm any of the "hype three" before release.
Er, who are the "hype three?" K. Rool, Ridley, Wolf...?

Sakurai revealed Mega Man as the second character of Smash 4's E3 debut, who was the most requested character for the game overall. If Ridley is in the game, pretty fair chance he'll be at E3. It's either him, K. Rool, or a third party. (Wolf will probably be saved as an unockable.)

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Ridley in his Super/Zero Mission pose.
View attachment 141190
Ridley looks cramped...
Maybe not so much scrunched up, perhaps have him lean up and have his arms more open.
I agree, I just wanted to illustrate why that particular pose wouldn't have worked at my scale. He's usually posed like that because he literally looks down on Samus.

Probably gonna stick with my all-fours position, though the Omega mashup looks somewhat promising.
That second pose looks nearly there, almost perfect.

StormC

Smash Hero
If there was a way to keep the "height" of the second pose while having Ridley on his forearms with his head at Samus's eye level, it'd be just about perfect.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
ᴵ ᵃᶜᵗᵘᵃˡˡʸ ᵍᵉᵗ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵃ ˡᵒᵗ
SURE
:> I find it great, after all, we all have an interpretation of Ridley/Roidley
From the inside.jpg

xD I mean, heck, my Roidley is nothing like the original Other M Ridley, and my Ridley has expression unlike the mindless derping one of Brawl. And with a human interpretation you can take a lot of liberties! Seeing a human Rids is also rare on top of that.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 141200
xD I mean, heck, my Roidley is nothing like the original Other M Ridley, and my Ridley has expression unlike the mindless derping one of Brawl. And with a human interpretation you can take a lot of liberties! Seeing a human Rids is also rare on top of that.
Deleted.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I'm so sorry, I had to do it.
View attachment 141202
I'll delete it if it bothers you but my dumb request would look something like this but not garbage.
xD Oh my, Um, it's funny but yeah, I don't like my work edited, I will get with your request at some point, don't worry.

Delete it, Dalek, please. :) And thank you.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

The upright one looks perfect. I could see the all fours for a crawl, but those proportions look amazing.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Here is something interesting:

Looking at Young Samus next to Ridley in the Manga you could quite easily see a grown up Samus reaching at least the top of the base of his wings whilst he is crouched over. Yes Ridley is still quite large, but size difference would not be as crazy where he is like 2-3 times her height, especially if Ridley is crouching the whole time.
This also looks like it could be a manga slide of a grouchy curmudgeon dragon who's about to take it upon himself to take care of a precious little child.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
View attachment 141200
Haha, My own interpretation of Roidley is a big guy who's kinda slow on the uptake, distracted by thoughts of food, he can and will eat just about anything and anyone should he be allowed, he charges through walls and can wreck just about anything with brute force, while at the same time being like a big kid, he's easily exited by new and shiny things and wants his big brother's approval.

As for the main Ridley, the boss of this mafia-like pirate group, he's super intelligent, cunning and incredibly narcissistic, he changes his whole look every month and is still in the midst of making his own robo-double, various weapons and scientific advancements but... he's never got a like, a college degree for any of those, his only degree is... Drama Major.
He literally plans out heists and attacks like he's writing scripts, including his own dramatic entrances, where he hangs from ceilings, slowly emerges from the shadows of rooms and the like.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
It is obviously safe to assume Ridley isn't going to be announced and even safer to assume he isn't playable at all, but again, no one other than the devs can tell for sure.
No. I'm saying we won't know either way until the game is out. Pattern recognition is a curse.

AndreaAC

Haha, My own interpretation of Roidley is a big guy who's kinda slow on the uptake, distracted by thoughts of food, he can and will eat just about anything and anyone should he be allowed, he charges through walls and can wreck just about anything with brute force, while at the same time being like a big kid, he's easily exited by new and shiny things and wants his big brother's approval.

As for the main Ridley, the boss of this mafia-like pirate group, he's super intelligent, cunning and incredibly narcissistic, he changes his whole look every month and is still in the midst of making his own robo-double, various weapons and scientific advancements but... he's never got a like, a college degree for any of those, his only degree is... Drama Major.
He literally plans out heists and attacks like he's writing scripts, including his own dramatic entrances, where he hangs from ceilings, slowly emerges from the shadows of rooms and the like.
xD That sounds like fun! My Silly Roidley is more innocent to the point that he gets distracted also by shiny things but hilariously enough even a fly could distract him! He's playful and well, I guess you remember that my Rids was first pretty much agressive towards him, but despite that, the other looked up to him (That's where the nickname Big Bro originated), admiring him for who he was than by fear like his crew, and Rids slowly began to warm up to him to where he would even give his own life to protect him, since he was the brother he either never had or lost, but he doesn't remember anything of his own past before Samus and the Pirates.

Ridley is, in my case, a sarcastic and sometimes bossy *******, but depending of what being is around him, he can become friendly, loving, supportive (he tries to hide all of this around the Pirates, however, because the change would be jarring after years of using intimidation to command them) and whatnot, but when it comes to who he hates, like Bowser, he can become agressive/violen/murderous as he always was, funnily enough, after Rosalina gives him a second chance in life, he prefer to ignore Samus' existance, however, she would never do that had keeps hunting him down.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think something to also keep in mind is that it's a new game so hopefully the engine can be tweaked to allow for bigger players, the same way the super heavyweights slightly increased in size between Brawl and 4. I really would rather Ridley be at least equal to Samus's eye level, if not slightly above it. If there's a way for him to be on all fours and still have that, it would be great since it would preserve his size. Otherwise, if I had to choose, I'd rather have him scrawny but upright so he doesn't have to look up at Samus.

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Well Smashboards, I made it, despite the lack of models.

Used Meta Ridley as a stand-in like Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt suggested.

...super heavyweights slightly increased in size between Brawl and 4...
Fun fact, Bowser's definitely shorter in Smash 4. He just looks bigger cuz he's upright. If he were Brawl height then he'd probably be clipping through Battlefield's platforms a little with his new posture.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Fun fact, Bowser's definitely shorter in Smash 4. He just looks bigger cuz he's upright. If he were Brawl height then he'd probably be clipping through Battlefield's platforms a little with his new posture.
Very nice! If he had the shorter neck of Proteus Ridley this would be pretty close to what I have in mind. His hitbox is a bit too wide otherwise. Ridley definitely needs a custom design for Smash, let’s hope third time’s the charm.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

That looks a bit crowded but I chalk that up to you not shrinking the Brawl model unless I'm mistaken.
Though it's kind of terrifying how similar in size Meta is to my theoretical Proteus despite them being pretty similar in size.
upload_2018-4-11_9-7-29.png
You're definitely a wizard, right?

StormC

Smash Hero
One thing to also consider with the neck is having it "scrunched up" in his normal stance like this.

Then it can launch out for attacks, but still keep his hitbox smaller.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I want Ridley in the game but I don't want him to look cramped. Maybe they could reduce the wing and neck length..

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Ridley used Tail Whip!
It's Super Effective!
...on my heart!

These vector renders that you do are consistently beautiful and excellent at demonstrating how Ridley could, should and will work in Smash. It is pretty clear from these that Ridley can be scaled down to Samus' height range and still look like him.

Another option could be for this Smash game to make Samus a bit shorter to give Ridley a bit of extra height perhaps.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

Gotta say, that's got to be one of the best size comparison proof of concepts I've seen yet. Good job! I would be totally fine with this being about how Ridley would look in Smash. Although I hope they use a fully organic Ridley as opposed to a mechanized one. (Although I wouldn't mind a partly or fully robotic Ridley as an alt skin though.)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ridley eats a Super Mushroom on Battlefield.
upload_2018-4-11_16-11-48.png

Also redid my Samus vector.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
lol I had forgotten about the Ridley/Roidley thing.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
That looks a bit crowded but I chalk that up to you not shrinking the Brawl model unless I'm mistaken.
Though it's kind of terrifying how similar in size Meta is to my theoretical Proteus despite them being pretty similar in size.
You're definitely a wizard, right?
I only shrunk the wings and the head to a lesser extent. Meta Ridley's chest is huge, so he looks a little thicc. But yes, I am a wizard of Smash Scaling!

EDIT: Round 2
Did more individual adjustments, shrunk chest down as well as the neck slightly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom