• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I was under the impression he prob did bad in the dlc ballet since ppl did not vote for him because they thought he was impossable
Oh sure, around here morale was super low and while I tried to encourage people to at the very least ask for Ridley for a future game people were just defeated and didn't bother. Still I bet you there was a sizable amount of people who voted. Despite what we think of ourselves and the influence we think we wield on this board I've got no doubt Ridley at least made a good impression from the ballot.

Beyond that though there is miiverse and the constant internet arguments and debates regarding him. Ballot or not the last speculation period probably really opened Sakurai's eyes regarding Ridley's popularity and viability. Nintendo as a whole as well.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I did voted for Ridley in the ballot in hopes it would help for the next smash. So if he gets in you can all thank me, since I clearly will have been the single deciding factor.

But silly ego tripping jokes aside, I think Ridley has enough known support that his inclusion can happen without the ballet.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I mentioned before that I was obsessed with Jojo.

Now I wonder what Ridley's stand would look like, or if Ridley was a Stand who his master would be. Mother Brain?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Time to pack it up, Spyro is going to be the closest we'll ever get to Ridley in Smash Bros.
We could have gen 2 shiny Charizard alt, Spyro, Ridley, and I guess purple alt Corrin together... And Smash would still only have as many purple dragons as it does swordsmen with the Marth template. :p

Oh sure, around here morale was super low and while I tried to encourage people to at the very least ask for Ridley for a future game people were just defeated and didn't bother. Still I bet you there was a sizable amount of people who voted. Despite what we think of ourselves and the influence we think we wield on this board I've got no doubt Ridley at least made a good impression from the ballot.

Beyond that though there is miiverse and the constant internet arguments and debates regarding him. Ballot or not the last speculation period probably really opened Sakurai's eyes regarding Ridley's popularity and viability. Nintendo as a whole as well.
This... Defeatist culture be damned.

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I mentioned before that I was obsessed with Jojo.

Now I wonder what Ridley's stand would look like, or if Ridley was a Stand who his master would be. Mother Brain?

Crazy theory: Ridley is actually the stand, but he is one of those bad stands that cares not for his user's safety or wants. This is why he doesn't stay dead, you can't kill a stand. Who's stand you might ask? Why, he would be Samus Aran's stand.

Also about Samus Returns:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's more complicated than that. Due to his more somewhat complicated hurtbox tby nature they'd have make sure every animation and position his body was in was exactly right. They'd also have to constantly test just how far his attacks should reach, just how overall big everything should be for balancing reasons. It's already a huge pain to check and balance every character frame-by-frame for timing, hit-by-hit for stun and lag, damage, knockback, and more. But Ridley would add another level of testing to all that. The developers (just like the modders who put Ridley in Project M) whould have to constantly make adjustments to Ridley's base model. Shrinking and growing him, changing his poses, his stance, a bunch of other things.
I don't think it would be such a big deal if they use the right model to begin with.

Of course, I'm talking about the Samus Returns model. His limbs and body are already the perfect size to be shrunken down to ~Bowser size.

The only problem with the SR model is that the wings and tail are still problematic, but as you posted earlier, they can use the ZM proportions for the tail and wings.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Crazy theory: Ridley is actually the stand, but he is one of those bad stands that cares not for his user's safety or wants. This is why he doesn't stay dead, you can't kill a stand. Who's stand you might ask? Why, he would be Samus Aran's stand.

Also about Samus Returns:

AndreaAC AndreaAC
I have a dumb request. Draw Ridley doing this pose and expression.
It_Was_Me__Dio!.jpg

Zeox

Smash Champion
Dio and Ridley are defeated in the first part/game
they comeback in the third part/game
that is his definitive and real death
after death, they are still a big presence in the game/manga
also, they are both the most well know villain and nemesis of the protagonist despiste being other villains.
Also, they both love to murder parents.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I did voted for Ridley in the ballot in hopes it would help for the next smash. So if he gets in you can all thank me, since I clearly will have been the single deciding factor.

But silly ego tripping jokes aside, I think Ridley has enough known support that his inclusion can happen without the ballet.
Essentially, I am not even worried about it. His demand has been strong enough throughout the decade and it is clear Sakurai is aware of it. All that remains is for him to pull the trigger and I doubt ballot votes would really influence him more than his demand already has. The ballot was more for gauging less obvious characters, if you ask me. Oh, and to help him decide on Goku. :shades:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Of course, I'm talking about the Samus Returns model. His limbs and body are already the perfect size to be shrunken down to ~Bowser size.
Samus Returns came out too late. Sakurai is probably going to add content from games that he was aware of before he started development of this new Smash.

By some miracle, maybe Sakurai knew about Samus Returns being developed and asked the team to see an artists render of Ridley for that game while it was being made (like Greninja for X&Y). But that's highly unlikely.

If we are getting Ridley (and it's not impossible but chances are still low) it won't be based on the Samus Returns design. Sakurai would have started designing Ridley as a fighter before he was even aware Samus Returns existed.

And I'm not a defeatist. I'm realistic. I consider all the realistic factors and add up the odds. I know there is no way of knowing for sure. We could very well get Ridley, it's not impossible, I just think it's unlikely.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Samus Returns came out too late. Sakurai is probably going to add content from games that he was aware of before he started development of this new Smash.

By some miracle, maybe Sakurai knew about Samus Returns being developed and asked the team to see an artists render of Ridley for that game while it was being made (like Greninja for X&Y). But that's highly unlikely.

If we are getting Ridley (and it's not impossible but chances are still low) it won't be based on the Samus Returns design. Sakurai would have started designing Ridley as a fighter before he was even aware Samus Returns existed.
Samus returns development began in 2015, pretty sure Sakurai could have seen Ridley's design and make him a fighter in that time.
Or not, we don't know that for sure, nobody here works at nintendo, so no idea if we will get other m ridley, samus returns ridley or classic ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Samus returns development began in 2015, pretty sure Sakurai could have seen Ridley's design and make him a fighter in that time.
Or not, we don't know that for sure, nobody here works at nintendo, so no idea if we will get other m ridley, samus returns ridley or classic ridley.
As always we'll have to see what Samus' design is based on, as that will likely determine which Metroid game that will be the most prominent in this Smash. From the silhouettes it really doesn't look like the Other M design given the size of the shoulders, but it's obviously incredibly vague and no real conclusion can be drawn from it. Even ignoring Ridley I really hope we're done with Other M representation in Smash, the designs from that game are uninspiring at best.

Regardless of that I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a custom design for Ridley, some sort of amalgation that takes from what works best about his different designs. It'd obviously be a first, but I could see them going the distance so they can finally get him in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I basically stopped posting once Roy was confirmed for Smash 4 back in June 2015 (I made only a few posts since then, only one in 2016, and none in 2017).

I intended for Smash 4 to be the final game in the series I would do any speculation for. I have lost nearly all of my interest in speculation and anticipation for future Smash Bros. titles. Nearly every character I wanted in has gotten in, and the few left that I care for, have sub-50% prospect of getting in at this point (most notably and unfortunately, Ridley).

However, due to this Smash Bros. installment having a very small speculation window from its unveil (Brawl's unveil to release date was 1 year and nearly nine months, Smash 4 was a year and three months, and assuming Smash Switch does release in December 2018 at the latest, it will be only nine months), I realize I have little time to make analyses this time around. At this point (ignoring how long the DLC period is, assuming there is DLC), there are only eight months of speculation left.

I have been out of the loop for nearly three years now. However, there are a few that wish for me to come back and do some more analyses for this upcoming Smash Bros. Truth be told, I am not anticipating this Smash Bros. game like I did the previous four titles. There has been an interest for me to do a reprise of my ULTIMATE character analysis topic that I did for Brawl and Smash 4. I will do as much.

I did not plan on returning, and in many ways, my return is like that of a phantom. I do not intend to be at the forefront of speculation this time around, and there are many others who have taken up that baton. Like Miyamoto's suggestion to Itoi for the re-start of Mother 3's development, my place on the speculation scene will be that of a small play. I hope that through me publishing yet another iteration of my analysis topic that it gives the speculation scene a sense of continuity and history (my first detailed analyses were made over a decade ago).

It was Smash for Switch being announced so soon after the conclusion of Smash 4 DLC that I was able to come back at all (by comparison, Brawl was announced 4.5 years after Melee's release, and Smash 4 was unveiled 5.5 years after Brawl's release).

Ridley has been a character that I have wanted in Smash Bros. for nearly 20 years (all the way back in 1999 I have dreamed of playing as Ridley in Smash Bros. since I saw him flying in the background to the Planet Zebes stage). Bagan's mods for Project M were nice, but I still would like to see Ridley have joined the roster in an official Smash Bros. title. I am not optimistic at all on his prospects, but I still have hope, hope in spite of what Sakurai's personal feelings and thoughts are.

I will always dream of Ridley joining the roster regardless of whether that day ever comes. He is among the few Nintendo characters left that I cherish that has yet to join the roster, and a character that I have been a fan of for over 20 years. Regardless of the outcome, I offer my support and hope. Hopefully, the Space Pirate commander will finally enter the fray.

I will look on the sidelines as to what happens, all I can do is dream. Hopefully, my presence offers a sense of continuity and history to the Ridley fanbase. I have been dreaming of a playable Ridley since 1999, and I have been supporting him in the Smash Bros. fanbase since 2001. Ridley fans have been around a very long time. Let us hope for the best and say the desires of our hearts.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Regardless of that I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a custom design for Ridley, some sort of amalgation that takes from what works best about his different designs. It'd obviously be a first, but I could see them going the distance so they can finally get him in.
I'm really hoping for this most of all. Like I said before a combination of the Samus Returns proportions for his torso and limbs and the Zero Mission proportions for his tail and wings would be the best option.

That way, his hitboxes and hurtboxes would be easy to balance, and he would be about Bowser's size if he were crawling.

D

Deleted member

Ridley has been a character that I have wanted in Smash Bros. for nearly 20 years (all the way back in 1999 I have dreamed of playing as Ridley in Smash Bros. since I saw him flying in the background to the Planet Zebes stage). Bagan's mods for Project M were nice, but I still would like to see Ridley have joined the roster in an official Smash Bros. title. I am not optimistic at all on his prospects, but I still have hope, hope in spite of what Sakurai's personal feelings and thoughts are.

I will always dream of Ridley joining the roster regardless of whether that day ever comes. He is among the few Nintendo characters left that I cherish that has yet to join the roster, and a character that I have been a fan of for over 20 years. Regardless of the outcome, I offer my support and hope. Hopefully, the Space Pirate commander will finally enter the fray.

I will look on the sidelines as to what happens, all I can do is dream. Hopefully, my presence offers a sense of continuity and history to the Ridley fanbase. I have been dreaming of a playable Ridley since 1999, and I have been supporting him in the Smash Bros. fanbase since 2001. Ridley fans have been around a very long time. Let us hope for the best and say the desires of our hearts.
I have a feeling that you were the starter of this Ridley for Smash crusade and the first user to voice their desires for Ridley in Smash (i mean, you have been doing this since the turn of the millenium back in GameFaqs) and if you were, congrats Chrono, you have made history. Ridley has become one of the most desired characters, and despite all of the statements that Sakurai makes, people have not backed down, because whenever i and a lot of people see stuff like Began's mod for Ridley, i see that Ridley in Smash is possible, and some people that have enough imagination can see that as well. At this point it's not about Ridley beign playable material, because he clearly is, but rather it is about Sakurai finally accepting the fact that Ridley is a good idea for Smash and that he should stop giving excuses.

He doesn't have the same relevancy issues as K.Rool or other newcomers, he doesn't have any licensing issues, he doesn't come from series that is oversaturated with characters, he doesn't suffer from lack of uniqueness (people that compare Ridley to Charizard just because they are dragon-like are like the pople that compare Ike to Marth just because the have a sword) etc, and i seriously dobut that having him playable would be unfaithful to his original self in the Metroid series as he proclaims, and even if he had differences to his source material, i guarantee you that it would be nowhere as bad as other characters that already are on the roster (im not going to say who, because i don't want to start an argument).

I understand why you and many here (including me as well) are pretty pessimistic about his chances, and it's better to be prepared for the worst, but maybe, just maybe, our dream will come true.

Looking fowards to those analysis Chrono (i know i already said this in the Smash Switch Disscussion thread but whatever)

Last edited by a moderator:

IronTed

Smash Ace
As far as incarnations go, there are basically 4 options.
  1. Proteus Ridley. Most recent incarnation, not much else of note. The biggest issue isn't timing, but the fact he isn't "vanilla" Ridley.
  2. Other M Ridley. The argument is basically this: Samus Returns came out too late to be considered, so Other M is the most recent useable incarnation. I don't see it happening, given how old and not iconic the design is.
  3. Super Metroid Ridley. The first "modern" Ridley, this is rather self explanatory. It's his most iconic design from one of Metroid's most critically acclaimed games. It also has the benefit of not becoming "outdated" like the previous two choices. The biggest issue would be proportions. Seriously, his head alone is massive
  4. "Chimera" Ridley. Basically an amalgamation. Granted one could argue Proteus Ridley already fulfills this, but a more "custom" approach would get rid of the cybernetics and change proprtions if necessary. Super would probably be the biggest inspiration though, considering almost every post-94 design is inspired by the Super incarnation.
At this point I won't be picky, but I would be fine with most of the above choices, bar number 2. I really dislike his Other M incarnation.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Samus Returns came out too late or is “too soon” to have content for in Smash, then the same can definitely be said for Prime 4, imo.

I basically stopped posting once Roy was confirmed for Smash 4 back in June 2015 (I made only a few posts since then, only one in 2016, and none in 2017).

I intended for Smash 4 to be the final game in the series I would do any speculation for. I have lost nearly all of my interest in speculation and anticipation for future Smash Bros. titles. Nearly every character I wanted in has gotten in, and the few left that I care for, have sub-50% prospect of getting in at this point (most notably and unfortunately, Ridley).

However, due to this Smash Bros. installment having a very small speculation window from its unveil (Brawl's unveil to release date was 1 year and nearly nine months, Smash 4 was a year and three months, and assuming Smash Switch does release in December 2018 at the latest, it will be only nine months), I realize I have little time to make analyses this time around. At this point (ignoring how long the DLC period is, assuming there is DLC), there are only eight months of speculation left.

I have been out of the loop for nearly three years now. However, there are a few that wish for me to come back and do some more analyses for this upcoming Smash Bros. Truth be told, I am not anticipating this Smash Bros. game like I did the previous four titles. There has been an interest for me to do a reprise of my ULTIMATE character analysis topic that I did for Brawl and Smash 4. I will do as much.

I did not plan on returning, and in many ways, my return is like that of a phantom. I do not intend to be at the forefront of speculation this time around, and there are many others who have taken up that baton. Like Miyamoto's suggestion to Itoi for the re-start of Mother 3's development, my place on the speculation scene will be that of a small play. I hope that through me publishing yet another iteration of my analysis topic that it gives the speculation scene a sense of continuity and history (my first detailed analyses were made over a decade ago).

It was Smash for Switch being announced so soon after the conclusion of Smash 4 DLC that I was able to come back at all (by comparison, Brawl was announced 4.5 years after Melee's release, and Smash 4 was unveiled 5.5 years after Brawl's release).

I see. Well I wish you the best, whatever happens. May have not always seen eye to eye with you, but I definitely felt for you with your discontent during the ballot related drama when I last saw you, when morale for support was at its lowest as pointed out, but time heals, and here we are again still.

How was Samus Returns and its Ridley for you? Curious if you have anything different to say as to how or whether it washed away the feelings of what first came in 2010... Also, did you see or enjoy the Miitomo content for Ridley, the long awaited Smashified, and such? Or did you happen to know that we’re getting a Meta Ridley F4F figure? If not, then happy to inform you about all that. With him presumably being in Prime 4 as well, these are better times for him regardless of a playable Smash inclusion, though it would certainly help his legacy.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591

I proudly voted for him and will vote for him again if it comes to dlc this time

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Was going to vote for Wolf or something at first, but in the end still voted Ridley in the attempt to keep him on the radar at the time, regardless of how much or little it’d help. With how we’re holding up now again compared to 2014-16, can’t say it’s a decision I regret or anything, despite how some may have told me otherwise. /shrug

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The ballot was, in my opinion, a fiasco. I don't buy the idea that Bayonetta was the most voted character. Her two games were popular, but never THAT popular. If they make another ballot I will shrug, because it doesn't really mean anything.

And I'm not a defeatist. I'm realistic. I consider all the realistic factors and add up the odds. I know there is no way of knowing for sure. We could very well get Ridley, it's not impossible, I just think it's unlikely.
To be fair, they have used stuff from games that weren't even released at the time in past Smash titles, so I don't think the release date of Samus Returns means much if anything at all.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
The ballot was, in my opinion, a fiasco. I don't buy the idea that Bayonetta was the most voted character. Her two games were popular, but never THAT popular. If they make another ballot I will shrug, because it doesn't really mean anything.

To be fair, they have used stuff from games that weren't even released at the time in past Smash titles, so I don't think the release date of Samus Returns means much if anything at all.
Plus it is not just release date, but development windows as well. Seamus returns would have been in development throughout 2016 and probably 2015 as well. Sakura could definitely have heard about it.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Plus it is not just release date, but development windows as well. Seamus returns would have been in development throughout 2016 and probably 2015 as well. Sakura could definitely have heard about it.
Wiki says it has been in development since 2015.
Question not about Ridley but about Metroid Samus returns, do you guys like the new designs of the metroids or you preffer the original ones?
here a table to compare:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The new designs definitely look more threatening - the Zeta Metroid in particular looks deadly in Samus Returns, compared to weirdly adorable-looking in the original.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Question not about Ridley but about Metroid Samus returns, do you guys like the new designs of the metroids or you preffer the original ones?
here a table to compare:
New designs all the way, especially for the Zeta. The Metroid revamping is probably one of my favorite things about Samus Returns.

Not that the old ones are terrible, I'm just not a fan of what they were going for.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess it's true, all good things really must come to an end... At least there's still the RidleyBoards skin for premium, though I only kept it on a couple days or so after the 1st, as it eventually became too much an eyesore to look at regularly even for me.

All the entries so far in the Alternate Palette Contest thread for Ridley are pretty solid, but this Phazon one I was sold on the most! Wish I still had photoshop...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
here a table to compare:
The old ones were definitely more distinguishable from each other, buuuuut that's about the only thing I can say in their defense. The new designs are much better, I particularly love what they did with the Omega Metroid.

The designs in SR were generally fantastic, all of Samus' suits, weapons, the enemies, and of course Proteus Ridley, it was all great. The only one I thought that was a bit off was the Queen Metroid who looked a bit too smooth, that and its entire fight was the one thing I thought AM2R did a lot better than SR.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
here a table to compare:
New ones, definitely. Look more like the Xenomorphs that inspired them, especially the Zeta. Omega was also a much more harrowing fight, but that's got nothing to do with appearance.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It's been nice getting back into the swing of Ridley related things, I've improved on my designs for a human-ish Ridley a lot
2018-03-26 00.40.37.png

Now he looks high and mighty, ready to watch his guys try to kill you as he drinks some wine then promptly stab you should you think you're winning

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I slapped on some Zero Mission wings onto Samus Returns Ridley.

upload_2018-4-8_2-48-47.png

I think I need to tweak the tail or torso.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I'd be a happy man if I could get my hands on Ridley's Returns model. Not being able to make new pics is a sad time.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
here a table to compare:
Given that due to the original Game Boy designs were extremely simple in appearance and in AI, I cannot deny that the Samus Returns ones are far more threatening in both appearance and in actual battle.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'd be a happy man if I could get my hands on Ridley's Returns model. Not being able to make new pics is a sad time.
I was about to summon Wizardglory to ask why he hadn't made works of art out of Proteus, but I guess that answers my question.
Could you rip Proteus if you had a ROM of Samus Returns?

Top Bottom