• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I was about to summon Wizardglory to ask why he hadn't made works of art out of Proteus, but I guess that answers my question.
Could you rip Proteus if you had a ROM of Samus Returns?
I know 3ds games can be ripped from but I haven't the know-how to do it.

Sorry, but daddy Sakurai said he's too big, instead we'll get Godzilla, you heard it here, folks.
Not gonna lie, I'd main the big G all day, err-day.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
so what was this "to big" rumor?
It's not a rumor, it's a reason Ridley shouldn't be in Smash. It's one I think can be argued for and against, and sadly, Sakurai has used that reason himself. I hold out hope that he's changed his mind though, he's done the same before with Villager and Pac-Man.

I dunno why Donald was flagged by the way, he wasn't trolling, he was making a joke. I don't think he deserved the warning, but I'm certainly no authority.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's not a rumor, it's a reason Ridley shouldn't be in Smash. It's one I think can be argued for and against, and sadly, Sakurai has used that reason himself. I hold out hope that he's changed his mind though, he's done the same before with Villager and Pac-Man.

I dunno why Donald was flagged by the way, he wasn't trolling, he was making a joke. I don't think he deserved the warning, but I'm certainly no authority.
Likely because coming to a thread like this just to say that "Ridley is too big" is just low-effort trolling.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Despite following smash speculation since Brawl, this is the first time I'm actively choosing to participate.

Ridley has been my number one requested character since Brawl, and it's been a long wait. I really think Smash Switch is the right time, especially after Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4's reveal. Please count me down as a supporter!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That looks pretty dang good, but I think Ridley should be a little bigger. I mean I don't have any experience in this but I'd see Ridley being eye level with Samus while on the ground. Those models are pretty impressive! I'd love to see more.
I'm planning on keeping the scale as Ridley while flying looks pitch-perfect. I can adjust his ground pose to be more upright though.
For what it's worth, Ridley's only looking down because of the original scale.
upload_2018-4-9_18-14-21.png

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think a more upright pose at this scale would make his ground pose look better compared to Samus. His head being level to her's, plus wings adding just a little bit of height beyond that. Also if his pose is more upright, it'll look more natural to have his tail tucked down some more, reducing his stationary width presence. Just my $0.02

Regardless of what you do though, that looks awesome!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I put my Ridley on Battlefield.
upload_2018-4-9_21-46-17.png
The green areas represent zones where Ridley can fly indefinitely.

Morbi

Scavenger
Likely because coming to a thread like this just to say that "Ridley is too big" is just low-effort trolling.
To be fair, is that not essentially the very reason cited for him not to be included in Smash? Or do you have to say that Ridley's wingspan is too big in order to be taken seriously?

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I slapped on some Zero Mission wings onto Samus Returns Ridley.

View attachment 140869

I think I need to tweak the tail or torso.
Yes! Little wings! 2D Ridley with little wings is GOAT Ridley! I feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes little wing OG Ridley.

so what was this "to big" rumor?
Do you mean the latest rumor that got people slightly worked up for a day and then depressed the next? There is a full write up some pages back but I don't remember who made it or what page.

Basically one mod on Restera said something like "I hope they announce something big" and then another mod posted twice to the effect of "this speculation is too big" and people started to notice. That 2nd mod had hinted at a 2nd Captain Toad game and Mario Tennis Aces and was right on about it. He then went on Twitter to say that he knows absolutely nothing to which people responded with more depression. As if he would reveal outright what he knew compromising his position at Reset and his obvious contacts over at Nintendo.

I'm totally believe he hinted at Ridley because he knows something. That or being too big is synonymous with Smash general and thats what he was hinting at.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591

no I mean i heard some mention of somebody saying to big as hint or something like that.

Yes! Little wings! 2D Ridley with little wings is GOAT Ridley! I feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes little wing OG Ridley.

Do you mean the latest rumor that got people slightly worked up for a day and then depressed the next? There is a full write up some pages back but I don't remember who made it or what page.

Basically one mod on Restera said something like "I hope they announce something big" and then another mod posted twice to the effect of "this speculation is too big" and people started to notice. That 2nd mod had hinted at a 2nd Captain Toad game and Mario Tennis Aces and was right on about it. He then went on Twitter to say that he knows absolutely nothing to which people responded with more depression. As if he would reveal outright what he knew compromising his position at Reset and his obvious contacts over at Nintendo.

I'm totally believe he hinted at Ridley because he knows something. That or being too big is synonymous with Smash general and thats what he was hinting at.
I agree him denying it means nothing i seen company deny a game exist before when there is 100 percent obvious it did exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I put my Ridley on Battlefield.
The green areas represent zones where Ridley can fly indefinitely.
That looks amazing!

I do think that Riddles hunched over is a bit wonky (maybe too hunched?), and his tail needs to be more curled in or back on the z to get out of the way, but the aerial versions are great proportionally. Here's hoping we actually get this realized!

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt I have to apologize for not being able to do your request with Ridley yet, in between personal projects and lack of inspiration and whatnot.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That looks amazing!

I do think that Riddles hunched over is a bit wonky (maybe too hunched?), and his tail needs to be more curled in or back on the z to get out of the way, but the aerial versions are great proportionally. Here's hoping we actually get this realized!
I got a bit carried away, but I also did a Zeta and Omega Metroid shrunk down to the same scale I did Ridley.
upload_2018-4-10_1-41-0.png
Too tired to do it now, but maybe I can give Ridley the same posture as Omega.

Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt I have to apologize for not being able to do your request with Ridley yet, in between personal projects and lack of inspiration and whatnot.
S'cool, I have a lot on my plate too. I should be studying.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Openly yet silently judging your every move

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
If you had to pick, would you rather

A. Ridley is on the roster but it is the other m version and uses a mechanic where you start as little birdie and gradually eventually become full Ridley

B. Ridley is not on the regular roster but you can play as him in a gimicky playable boss mode

C. Real Ridley is on the playable roster but is cheap beyond brawl meta knight and it's basically cheating to play as him.
Unfortunately, C is basically a way to cement characters in Smash Bros. (aka Marth)

Nintendo likes to meme about Ridley in Smash a lot too, whether it's Purple Charizard fighting Samus from a Miiverse contest, or Badge Academy referring to him explicitly; they know the demand is there, I just feel Sakurai believes the charterer's role is that of a boss and nothing else.

Also forgive me mods I forgot how to combine posts :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Also forgive me mods I forgot how to combine posts :(
Just hit the edit button. Alternatively, if you know that you're going to be quoting multiple posts, use the + Quote button on the bottom right.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
:D Amazing work! It has been a while since I have seen your human Ridley/Roidley! They look great, and the pose looks flawless!
I’ve missed this place!
Its been a busy time since I got into my uni course, but I make some time now and then too draw my Ridley bros

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I’ve missed this place!
Its been a busy time since I got into my uni course, but I make some time now and then too draw my Ridley bros
x3 And they bring back memories (plus a LOT of noticable changes and awesome progress!)! I wish I could draw my own Ridley bros. as often as before, but I haven't gotten enough inspiration (especially for my poor Silly Roidley), I hope to be able soon tho! :D Keep it up!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Despite following smash speculation since Brawl, this is the first time I'm actively choosing to participate.

Ridley has been my number one requested character since Brawl, and it's been a long wait. I really think Smash Switch is the right time, especially after Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4's reveal. Please count me down as a supporter!
I remember back in the earlier pages of this thread, people were sketchy over my confidence in Ridley. As I stated back then, the next newcomer is all about Ridley. Everyone is wondering about Ridley because, its now or never for Ridley.

It shouldn't have taken Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4 to realize that.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I remember back in the earlier pages of this thread, people were sketchy over my confidence in Ridley. As I stated back then, the next newcomer is all about Ridley. Everyone is wondering about Ridley because, its now or never for Ridley.

It shouldn't have taken Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4 to realize that.
I think I tracked down your posts and I absolutely agree that an E3 reveal is best for Ridley. I wouldn't say it's his only chance, but I'd definitely feel let down if he wasn't shown then.

I was reffering to Samus Returns and Prime 4 as that's probably the source material they will pull from for this game and he was in one, probably both.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
A big character for a big event seems fitting for me. If he is playable, that is.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'll say one thing for sure though regarding Ridley's inevitable reveal, I am not going through another "Measure the length of the shadow and compare it to the size of Pikachu" discussion. If Ridley is playable it's going to be big and clear, not a weird secret hint (can't believe I was still holding out hope after that shadow :().

On a related note, I think it makes sense we will see something about Prime 4 at this E3, and I can't think of a better way to tie in a surprise twist reveal with Ridley, just like they did with the Inklings after the Octo expansion reveal.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I dunno...would they really let us off the hook that easily?

They know that Ridley speculation carries a lot of discussion - and Nintendo the past few years has really gotten into using memes in games and marketing. I can see them stringing “too big” jokes all the way up to release.

But that will be interesting to see what happens at E3. There aren’t too many super-hype first parties, and they will want at least one major reveal there. They can’t expect third parties to carry Smash, and they usually don’t reveal unlockables (true, there’ve been exceptions, but those tended to be special cases like 3rd parties). I can’t see Riddles as a starter - I’d feel cheated if he were - so I don’t know how they’d handle it.

Even if they showed him at E3, I think they’d imply he was a boss/stage hazard, but never outright confirm anything. Then they’d laugh as we all stewed over the exact words and sizes. As soon as anything gets confirmed, discussion dies.

The corollary though is that if Ridley gets leaked as playable before he’s shown, Nintendo lost a massive hype spot. And they are really good at letting things slip out like that.

As if Smash isn’t going to sell, but they will want people talking all the way up to release.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Assume the game is still being developed by the same stage magician that developed the previous four.

Ridley is the hot topic. He will be neither confirmed nor denied at E3, nor any significant amount of time before the game is released. In fact, if Ridley is confirmed playable in anything prior to the accolades trailer, assume it to be false, just because that's not how this one works.

There will be discussion of Smash at E3, yes. But they won't confirm any of the "hype three" before release.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If they confirm Ridley I want to hear Nintendo makes some jokes about it. Like "This next trailer might be TOO BIG for some fans" or something along those lines. His tagline thing (if they keep doing that) had to relate to Ridley jokes too. Some good ones I've heard are
RIDLEY makes his BIG debut
RIDLEY fits right in
And RIDLEY is tired of waiting

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
If they confirm Ridley I want to hear Nintendo makes some jokes about it. Like "This next trailer might be TOO BIG for some fans" or something along those lines. His tagline thing (if they keep doing that) had to relate to Ridley jokes too. Some good ones I've heard are
RIDLEY makes his BIG debut
RIDLEY fits right in
And RIDLEY is tired of waiting
Speaking of those I really hope those make a comeback. If it's a 'new' new smash I don't know if they'd go with the same style, but I hope they do. I've always wanted Ridley to get one of those tag & back splash shots.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I spent too much time on Bowser. Also refined Ridley.
upload_2018-4-10_23-30-15.png

Also combined the Omega Metroid and Ridley to make an upright position. Personally not a fan but some people here might like it.
upload_2018-4-10_23-32-35.png

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I think Ridley's tagline should be:

Ridley Brings His Vengeance!

It ties with the promotion for Metroid Samus Returns ("Vengeance has a name" [Ridley roar]).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think Ridley will be teased if he's in. The only times I can think of a character being "teased" is the Smash Direct that showed Fake Palutena's trophy, and Dark Pit appearing in Palutena's trailer.

I also expect him to be on the starting roster because he's a hype machine and unlockables are mostly for extra characters that don't really generate said hype. They're definitely going to advertise him if he's in the game. It does feel weird having such an evil villain be on the starting roster, but Ganondorf was on the starting roster for Wii U.

Top Bottom