• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of things to buff Mewtwo

Furret24

Smash Master
When did this turn into an argument with a guy who believes that Mewtwo is actually pretty good (with terrible arguments).

BTW, someone should put that "fthrow=weight buff" line in their signature. That's hilarious.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
There's really only one move that really hits in a different place that the animation may lead you to believe (fair), anything else at least somewhat matches the trails.

And there's also these things called "training" and "CPUs" that can be used to test stuff and find the best uses without the stress of also trying to win, not to mention asking around the boards and hopefully not just getting a "lolol their hitboxes suk".
The way I see it it's really half and half. Half say the hitboxes are wonky, can whiff and have a tendency to miss the smaller characters. Which might be labeled as "unreliable".

Then we have the other half who "dealt with the hitboxes" and insist they are fine and that other players need to commit to training mode and cpu's that have little effect against human opponents who play very differently. Oh you learn fundamentals and basic tactics sure but that can all change in a "real" fight. These players have gotten so used to the current hitboxes they aren't viewed as terrible since they have memorized where an attack actually connects at.

If you invested that much time into the character and can play him at a higher level then most then great on you but you shouldn't force your opinion of Mewtwo down everyone's throat. He has strengths and weaknesses and in your mind his strengths outweigh the weaknesses but for me I think it's quite the opposite. And that's completely fine. Mewtwo I think is a more technical character and if you can control your opponent you'll do fantastic but if you don't and make one little mistake it could be over for you.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The way I see it it's really half and half. Half say the hitboxes are wonky, can whiff and have a tendency to miss the smaller characters. Which might be labeled as "unreliable".

Then we have the other half who "dealt with the hitboxes" and insist they are fine and that other players need to commit to training mode and cpu's that have little effect against human opponents who play very differently. Oh you learn fundamentals and basic tactics sure but that can all change in a "real" fight. These players have gotten so used to the current hitboxes they aren't viewed as terrible since they have memorized where an attack actually connects at.

If you invested that much time into the character and can play him at a higher level then most then great on you but you shouldn't force your opinion of Mewtwo down everyone's throat. He has strengths and weaknesses and in your mind his strengths outweigh the weaknesses but for me I think it's quite the opposite. And that's completely fine. Mewtwo I think is a more technical character and if you can control your opponent you'll do fantastic but if you don't and make one little mistake it could be over for you.
There's a lot of grandstanding in these boards. I wouldn't worry too much sbout it. We all know that mewtwo has his problems. I find it to be a bit of hyperbole when people talk about mewtwo's strengths. There's never really any detail or video examples just make use of his tools properly or X player is doing it wrong or something to that extent.

godogod

Smash Ace
There's really only one move that really hits in a different place that the animation may lead you to believe (fair), anything else at least somewhat matches the trails.

And there's also these things called "training" and "CPUs" that can be used to test stuff and find the best uses without the stress of also trying to win, not to mention asking around the boards and hopefully not just getting a "lolol their hitboxes suk".
I beg to differ. I don't have as much trouble with forward and back air, but up air is just god awful. Also even though I can judge the distance to use the forward air, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to hit at point blank. It's a pain. Not to mention forward smash at point blank and grab against shorter characters as well as dash grabs.

BlastLine99

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megatronus
I do certainly believe Mewtwo will get good buffs eventually, I'm just annoyed that it will probably take a long while. Look at characters like Charizard and DK. Until about one or two patches ago, these characters were not exactly held in any high regard. It took MONTHS for them to get decent enough buffs to give at least any viability. Same will happen for Mewtwo(and hopefully Samus), it's just for some unknown reason going to take a long time.

BlastLine99

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megatronus
And where you say "obvious", most people say "polarizing". Casual and lower level players already tend to throw fits when faced with the likes of Captain Falcon or pre-patch Luigi even though they have obvious weaknesses, do we really want Mewtwo to be viewed the same way?

Mewtwo isn't an offensive powerhouse like he is in his native series or how most famous glass cannons are viewed. Instead he is a defensive powerhouse capable of beating back or evading almost any assault with proper application of his moves. While this is obviously not as immediately rewarding as sick combos or blazing attack speed, and many players may lack the patience to do so in the face of his weight, he doesn't absolutely need them to be successful. His selling points are that he moves rather well for a character of his punishing playstyle and possesses means to counter ways that would normally prevent him from doing so. Seriously just look at the Mewtwo vs. Ryu video recently posted in the relevant thread and tell me Mewtwo can't move.
I made a thread all about this about a month ago. You have the same idea about Mewtwo as I did in that thread. But for whatever reason everyone who replied was more interested in contesting my definition of a Glass Cannon, instead of getting my point and wanting to explain what Mewtwo was truly all about to the player base. :/

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I do certainly believe Mewtwo will get good buffs eventually, I'm just annoyed that it will probably take a long while. Look at characters like Charizard and DK. Until about one or two patches ago, these characters were not exactly held in any high regard. It took MONTHS for them to get decent enough buffs to give at least any viability. Same will happen for Mewtwo(and hopefully Samus), it's just for some unknown reason going to take a long time.
Well to be fair Samus got buffs on her nair and fair improving her air game considerably, and the new shieldstun gives her scary shield-breaking strings with charge shot.

Likewise Mewtwo also benefits from the shieldstun since it makes his power and spacing moves safer, and weaker shields make moving around to get good spacing more rewarding, which Mewtwo was already fairly good at. He isn't that bothered by shiedgrabs being harder to get since it was hardly reliable before and his low traction helps him avoid some blockstrings more easily.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
I know some people here are asking for a weight buff, but for what dynamic of the battle exactly? If it is for fast falling, they should consider just making fast falling a greater speed. (Like the difference between walking and running.(I may have said this before somewhere else hmm...))

Mewtwo is psychic enough that he could just fall fast without that extra weight, but floating is nice too. Aerial spacing.

Directional Influence is not really a major element for affecting match-ups, what if Mewtwo had great influence on how he received attacks?......zzz

BlastLine99

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megatronus
I know some people here are asking for a weight buff, but for what dynamic of the battle exactly? If it is for fast falling, they should consider just making fast falling a greater speed. (Like the difference between walking and running.(I may have said this before somewhere else hmm...))

Mewtwo is psychic enough that he could just fall fast without that extra weight, but floating is nice too. Aerial spacing.

Directional Influence is not really a major element for affecting match-ups, what if Mewtwo had great influence on how he received attacks?......zzz
Weight does not affect your falling speed. It's what determines how far you fly when hit by an attack.

D

Deleted member

I'm just going to be honest here: considering that Mewtwo is most likely never getting a weight buff, the only way to really balance him would be to make him Fox/Little Mac OP. Then, his huge hurtboxes, and low weight would be reasonable.

It's all about accommodation.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm just going to be honest here: considering that Mewtwo is most likely never getting a weight buff, the only way to really balance him would be to make him Fox/Little Mac OP. Then, his huge hurtboxes, and low weight would be reasonable.

It's all about accommodation.
Another day, another person claiming "Mewtwo should be THIS kind of glass cannon!". *Sigh*...

Rosalina has nearly the exact same attributes as Mewtwo (light, tall, even more floaty), she can't rush down people like Fox or Falcon and yet she is widely considered to be great.

Now before you just spit "lol Luma" back at me, take a good look at both characters. Both thrive with defensive play and spacing.
The difference is that Rosalina is wholly specialized in the spacing department with not only good disjoints on her own moves but also Luma as an extra cushion. Mewtwo by comparison has a powerful ranged projectile at his disposal, better mobility, combo game (Rosa may be great at juggling but her actual combos aren't long or damaging), better recovery and most critically, kill power that can't be taken away with a well-placed hit.

Bottom line is that you don't need to be aggro rushdown to make being frail work. You can buff Mewtwo's offence but that will likely only make him more polarizing. A more sensible route would be taking measures to improving his disadvantage; while not as egregious as most would have one believe it is still somewhat problematic with Mewtwo's weight. His offence is almost perfectly functional as it is; he just suffers a bit too much upon taking a hit.

Also if by accommodation you mean "stomp newbies with little effort" that won't really help representation. Look at all the Diddy players online that all but vanished after the nerfs to his easily abused tools. And Little Mac sure isn't regarded very highly in tier lists for such an "OP" character...

Last edited:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Another day, another person claiming "Mewtwo should be THIS kind of glass cannon!". *Sigh*...

Rosalina has nearly the exact same attributes as Mewtwo (light, tall, even more floaty), she can't rush down people like Fox or Falcon and yet she is widely considered to be great.

Now before you just spit "lol Luma" back at me, take a good look at both characters. Both thrive with defensive play and spacing.
The difference is that Rosalina is wholly specialized in the spacing department with not only good disjoints on her own moves but also Luma as an extra cushion. Mewtwo by comparison has a powerful ranged projectile at his disposal, better mobility, combo game (Rosa may be great at juggling but her actual combos aren't long or damaging), better recovery and most critically, kill power that can't be taken away with a well-placed hit.

Bottom line is that you don't need to be aggro rushdown to make being frail work. You can buff Mewtwo's offence but that will likely only make him more polarizing. A more sensible route would be taking measures to improving his disadvantage; while not as egregious as most would have one believe it is still somewhat problematic with Mewtwo's weight. His offence is almost perfectly functional as it is; he just suffers a bit too much upon taking a hit.

Also if by accommodation you mean "stomp newbies with little effort" that won't really help representation. Look at all the Diddy players online that all but vanished after the nerfs to his easily abused tools. And Little Mac sure isn't regarded very highly in tier lists for such an "OP" character...
Honestly, I just want his hitboxes fixed at this point. Anything more is gravy, but I think he would be decent if he were reliable.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Honestly, I just want his hitboxes fixed at this point. Anything more is gravy, but I think he would be decent if he were reliable.
Building off this comment what Rosalina does have over Mewtwo besides Luma is lo and behold reliable hitboxes on all her moves.

And mostly on Mewtwo the game seems to have trouble tracking a hitbox location during that double jump. Making it kinda klunky sometimes.

D

Deleted member

I'm in a hurry, so I couldn't read all of your post, but let me propose this:
If Rosalina is already the "defensive" glass cannon, why have another? Why not have an offensive one? Somebody could argue that Fox fits the bill, but he's durable enough to survive a bit, and other cannon characters usually have some gimmick that extends their lives. Mewtwo, in the pokedex descriptions and in the anime, is a borderline-psychopath, and usually those types of people don't just sit in the sidelines, strategically poking at people.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm in a hurry, so I couldn't read all of your post, but let me propose this:
If Rosalina is already the "defensive" glass cannon, why have another? Why not have an offensive one? Somebody could argue that Fox fits the bill, but he's durable enough to survive a bit, and other cannon characters usually have some gimmick that extends their lives. Mewtwo, in the pokedex descriptions and in the anime, is a borderline-psychopath, and usually those types of people don't just sit in the sidelines, strategically poking at people.
We have, like, at least three of those already. Fox (still quite light, and his recovery ain't the best either), Falcon (gets comboed to hell, atrocious disadvantage and recovery), and arguably ZSS.

What type is Mewtwo again?

Oh right. Psychic. What do they specialize in? Special Attack. That means they don't need to close in to maul their enemies.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...kinesis.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130207204414

You'll notice in the preceding gif that Mewtwo doesn't move an inch to hurt someone. He doesn't need to.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Except in this case Mewtwo doesn't have a gnarly super shield or barrier of any kind in Smash. Yeah he's psychic type sure but the only psychic thing about him is the fact you pretty much have to be one to read your opponents mind.

Which is basically the same game all the heavies play. Ganondorf being the most notable.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Random-self-assorting-thoughts/Venting
I want to bring up, what kind of game are we playing again? A game that isn't Street Fighter, but has a really large-variable audience. A game that tells us how to play at the beginning, but the fan-base tells us 'COMBO-s' and is there even a legit strategy guide that wasn't spoiled by piracy!or even exist?odd.
Why can't Smash be a game about... Showcasing. It's a Nintendo Conspiracy! You play the game for the trophies. Nintendo has been packing their Specials into 'Goodie-Games' so developers# in other lands could un-pack*??????????????
WOAH WOAH WOAH TIME-OUT, SPY-HANDS!!!

Quietly, contacts, recipe, reset, jobs, location-location-location, tournaments feed this game, list-decipher, "but where is Nintendo now?",
Kinda unrelated, typed anyway, because thinking+typing. Don't bother reading that since it's partially off-topic.

What are you guys trying to win again? FOR GLORY!? Well, that is a laugh. All you need to meet a win condition is just 1 stock advantage, you get 5 minutes. Spacing is a legit strategy.

Legit strategy and n00bz will be pwnZorred because I waited my stock to weight +1.
I didn't play this game to impress you people. I played to play because Nintendo. I'm turning items back on and playing Mario Kart Wii! I a!m leetz0r enough to include Halo, Mashtier Cleft in my game as like a burn on Xbox 360 because Nintendo would a friendly shout out to a economic rival.
I watch this movie everyday, 5000x in a row~I show it to all my friends, the ones that I don't have.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Except in this case Mewtwo doesn't have a gnarly super shield or barrier of any kind in Smash. Yeah he's psychic type sure but the only psychic thing about him is the fact you pretty much have to be one to read your opponents mind.

Which is basically the same game all the heavies play. Ganondorf being the most notable.
Yes MagiusNecros MagiusNecros , we get it. Ganondorf and Bowser generally hit harder with reads and have weight. Sadly that's ALL they have.

What do they do when their opponents just stay away? How do they catch them or force them to approach?
They've got nothing. Bowser at least can punish somewhat distant commitments with his run speed, but otherwise he's out of luck. Both are godawful in disadvantage and have even worse recoveries which can often undermine their supposed endurance advantage. They seem great when you're just starting out, playing casually and/or on For Glory where these drawbacks are rarely exploited, but once you start fighting real players they become painfully apparent.

Do you want to know why DK is generally considered the best heavy? It's not just because of his grab combos or his bair. It's because he actually has decent mobility to go with his power. He's fast enough to keep up with most opponents making laming him out harder. Well it's the same deal with Mewtwo, except he trades a bit of raw power and weight for powerful zoning/anti-zoning and a vastly improved recovery.

Just... stop trying to undermine Mewtwo by comparing his punish reward to your mains. NOBODY does it better than those guys. Which is why Mewtwo has many more things going for him.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Mewtwo is definitely a mid-tier character, he is just really hard to learn and play. If Shiek was the way she is now when the game first came out, she would probably only be a bottom of high tier character. However, people have put so much time into her and discovered so many things that she is best in the game. Because people put time and effort into her, and didn't complain and got better. Mewtwo doesn't have as much potential as Shiek, but he is still a solid mid tier.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
If Mewtwo was this Psychic badass he should be then he should have Barrier to mitigate knockback despite his light weight as your cute gif animation from the first Pokemon Movie would suggest. But he doesn't. I mean I would take Barrier as a Lightweight esque buff to decrease knockback over say ****ing Disable. Would add a bit more depth to Mewtwo honestly. Disable as it stands is pure happenstance or if your opponent made the biggest mistake of their life.

He does have good zoning and anti zoning in lieu of Shadow Ball and Confusion but that's pretty much it. A lot of his attacks have to be melee range.

You have to be really creative on how you progress in a fight. And capitalize on every mistake an opponent makes, inversely Mewtwo could just fall on his ass on making even 1 or 2 mistakes.

Mewtwo's whole playstyle IMO is to unnerve opponents on what he'll do and once he gets a clean hit in he can keep the pressure on. And guess what two abilities he has? Exactly.

You may talk smack on my main characters punish game but I get the feeling you say one of Mewtwo's biggest strengths is getting mileage off of hard reads and I agree. He does. But Ganon and Bowser get more off of one and for exactly the reasons you listed. The fact it is more difficult with them. And when you do you feel powerful and have a satisfaction of landing that hard hit.

But for me when you land a hit with Mewtwo you have to keep it going and it just feels underwhelming because you have to plan 3 steps ahead per attack to keep the "pressure" on.

I wanna feel that Mega Mewtwo Y 194 Sp. Atk stat. And I don't think we are quite there yet.

Douglas Jay Ganon

Smash Apprentice
This post is scorching hot. And I like that.

The main problem with Mawtoo is his category: Glass Cannon. Mewtwo's gameplay is a bit messy.
Definition right out of Urban Dictionary.com
Refers to a person, weapon, or vehicle which has a high output, but a low defense, life, durability, etc.

The Blaster (City of Heroes), dex zon (Diablo 2),golf glub (Silent Hill 4),and Red Gazelle (F-Zero GX) are glass cannons.

Hight output but low defense/durability.

The main problem is that... it almost looks like they got scared with Mewtwo while designing him!:dizzy:
We already know Mewtwo's biggest and more remarkable flaw; his weight. 122 kg = slightly heavier than a 5.5 kg pokemon
WHY
Basically, he's not that powerful, but he's stil super light. And he isn't that defensive either. Shadow Ball isn't that spammable and has punishable end lag.

So, we need to make him more offensive. Offense is a combination of attack power and speed. Mewtwo is powerful, but isn't that fast. Some of his moves have more end lag than they should (Bair and dthrow for example), so he can't even compensate not being so powerful. You might me saying right now: "But making him faster would make him more campy!" Not quite. If the Shadow Ball stays the same, there should be no problem at adding more running speed or less endlag at the end.

This should improve Mewtwo, adding a more dynamic playstyle. Maybe representing more what Mewtwo is: An intelligent and powerful Pokemon, that will rather wait for you to make a mistake and hardly punishing it.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Personally an old idea someone mentioned is Mewtwo gets a buff of somesort when he has SB at max charge when his hands glow. I liked that idea. Adds flavor.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
The only glass canon in Pokemon-Red & Blue is Missingno. ♦Chortles

Last edited:

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Personally an old idea someone mentioned is Mewtwo gets a buff of somesort when he has SB at max charge when his hands glow. I liked that idea. Adds flavor.
I like the idea of Mewtwo's charge being relative to his power as well. Why can't he charge longer haha?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This post is scorching hot. And I like that.

The main problem with Mawtoo is his category: Glass Cannon. Mewtwo's gameplay is a bit messy.
Definition right out of Urban Dictionary.com
Refers to a person, weapon, or vehicle which has a high output, but a low defense, life, durability, etc.

The Blaster (City of Heroes), dex zon (Diablo 2),golf glub (Silent Hill 4),and Red Gazelle (F-Zero GX) are glass cannons.

Hight output but low defense/durability.

The main problem is that... it almost looks like they got scared with Mewtwo while designing him!:dizzy:
We already know Mewtwo's biggest and more remarkable flaw; his weight. 122 kg = slightly heavier than a 5.5 kg pokemon
WHY
Basically, he's not that powerful, but he's stil super light. And he isn't that defensive either. Shadow Ball isn't that spammable and has punishable end lag.

So, we need to make him more offensive. Offense is a combination of attack power and speed. Mewtwo is powerful, but isn't that fast. Some of his moves have more end lag than they should (Bair and dthrow for example), so he can't even compensate not being so powerful. You might me saying right now: "But making him faster would make him more campy!" Not quite. If the Shadow Ball stays the same, there should be no problem at adding more running speed or less endlag at the end.

This should improve Mewtwo, adding a more dynamic playstyle. Maybe representing more what Mewtwo is: An intelligent and powerful Pokemon, that will rather wait for you to make a mistake and hardly punishing it.
There's more to a cannon than just how much damage they do. Versatility is a big part of one too. Look at Seth from Street Fighter. Hardly any of his moves do that much damage on their own (his spinning piledriver is MUCH weaker than Zangief's, and Tanden Stream is one of the weakest Ultras in the game damage-wise), and he has the lowest health and stun tolerance in the game as well. Yet he's considered to be very powerful just because he has so many tools at his disposal that he can handle almost any situation that comes his way or change strategies on the fly.

Now Mewtwo's tools are geared to be played defensively most of the time, but he is mobile enough to mount an offensive with crossup nairs and aggressive spacing ala Marth.

Also, what. Shadow Ball having punishable endlag? Only if you shoot an uncharged ball point blank. End lag is very low, enough to make charged balls unpunishable no matter where they're blocked, and makes it possible to chase smaller ones (courtesy of less recoil and slower travel speed) to apply pressure. It's the startup that trips up players.

Bair is slow because it's hitbox is HUGE on a character with good airspeed, big enough to challenge many aerials and does good damage too. And I don't really mind dthrow being too slow to combo when I have an fthrow that is one of the most damaging throws in the game and gives me plenty of time and space to charge those precious shadow balls, incidentally the strongest projectile in the game short of maxed out Aura Spheres.

D

Deleted member

We have, like, at least three of those already. Fox (still quite light, and his recovery ain't the best either), Falcon (gets comboed to hell, atrocious disadvantage and recovery), and arguably ZSS.

What type is Mewtwo again?

Oh right. Psychic. What do they specialize in? Special Attack. That means they don't need to close in to maul their enemies.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...kinesis.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130207204414

You'll notice in the preceding gif that Mewtwo doesn't move an inch to hurt someone. He doesn't need to.
No need to get an attitude, I'm trying to have a civil discussion. Thank You.

Also, don't forget this

or this

or this

Mewtwo was never a slow, defensive fighter. He is in fact, that opposite. If anything, Mewtwo should be an offensive projectile/long range character, if we're really being accurate here, as you forgot to mention that when Mewtwo and Mew fought, there was a lot of action, as opposed to hit-and-run shenanigans.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No need to get an attitude, I'm trying to have a civil discussion. Thank You.

Also, don't forget this

or this

or this

Mewtwo was never a slow, defensive fighter. He is in fact, that opposite. If anything, Mewtwo should be an offensive projectile/long range character, if we're really being accurate here, as you forgot to mention that when Mewtwo and Mew fought, there was a lot of action, as opposed to hit-and-run shenanigans.
Shadow Claw's a pretty good approximation of that Mew punch. And Mewtwo is not using Mega Mewtwo X.

Just because Mewtwo isn't great at rushing down doesn't mean he's slow. Airspeed is on par with Mario's and his dash speed is pretty good too.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Shadow Claw's a pretty good approximation of that Mew punch. And Mewtwo is not using Mega Mewtwo X.

Just because Mewtwo isn't great at rushing down doesn't mean he's slow. Airspeed is on par with Mario's and his dash speed is pretty good too.
That dash stop though. The little turn around motion is dumb.

D

Deleted member

I put MMX on there because unlike Y, he doesn't sit in the sidelines during battle, and that, once again, proves my theory of Mewtwo being more than some guy who sits around throwing up barriers.

Also, you couldn't counter that running Mewtwo ;)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I put MMX on there because unlike Y, he doesn't sit in the sidelines during battle, and that, once again, proves my theory of Mewtwo being more than some guy who sits around throwing up barriers.

Also, you couldn't counter that running Mewtwo ;)
Never said he couldn't. He just prefers not to unless he Mega Evolves to X (and I repeat, Smash Mewtwo is NOT using X) because his special attack is better than attack by default.

I know Mewtwo in the games seems to be an all-out offensive powerhouse, but the reality is that when he's using special attacks he's not moving at all.

About the run: first of all it looks stupid. Second of all he's only doing that to avoid an attack. Mewtwo does that plenty in Smash with his good running, airspeed and lovely airdodge.

Look... regardless of Mewtwo's true capabilities an indirect fighting style is what truly represents the Psychic type as a whole.

D

Deleted member

Like what I said earlier, Mewtwo could have an offensive/ranged moveset. You don't have to deal in absolutes when it comes to balancing. Think outside the box.

Also, why couldn't Mewtwo just stand still and shield through it? Again, you failed to counter it, resorting to your opinion by calling it "stupid" when that does absolutely nothing to either counter my claim, nor give any credit to yours.

Edit: You admitted that in the games Mewtwo uses an offensive approach. You defeated yourself.
Also, Mewtwo isn't "the psychic type", as he's psychologically different than them, Mewtwo is the only
borderline-psychotic Psychic type that I've seen thus far. And Mewtwo's approach is vastly different than theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Edit: You admitted that in the games Mewtwo uses an offensive approach. You defeated yourself.
Also, Mewtwo isn't "the psychic type", as he's psychologically different than them, Mewtwo is the only
borderline-psychotic Psychic type that I've seen thus far.
Maybe not but he's the only psychic type Pokemon in Smash and I think the development team was really trying to make him feel like one. Don't see what a difference in mental attitude has to do with anything.

And Mewtwo's approach is vastly different than theirs.
Alakazam.

D

Deleted member

Psychic types are usually relaxed and sit back. Mewtwo just seeks to destroy his enemies through whatever means.

Off-Topic? I don't think you fully grasp what I was saying there.

Also, I noticed you're trying to change the topic from the one we were just in, now arguing over semantics, since you couldn't counter my past statement ;)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Psychic types are usually relaxed and sit back. Mewtwo just seeks to destroy his enemies through whatever means.

Off-Topic? I don't think you fully grasp what I was saying there.

Also, I noticed you're trying to change the topic from the one we were just in, now arguing over semantics, since you couldn't counter my past statement ;)
Yeah, well that's pretty much what this thread is. Whining, ****hing about how Mewtwo didn't live up to expectations and suggesting ridiculous "buffs" to compensate for his frailty instead of buckling down and making what he does have work.

D

Deleted member

I have something for you to do

1. Go to a tournament, fight ZeRo (and win) as Mewtwo, and then come back and tell me he's "good".

And if that's too much...

2. Go to a tournament (Apex, or Evo), win, (as Mewtwo, and Mewtwo alone), then come back and tell me he's "good".

Right now you should be saying "easy money!", but in reality, you probably aren't. So, until you meet these requirements, let us Mewtwo fans complain.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

1. Go to a tournament, fight Zer0 (and win) as Mewtwo, and then come back and tell me he's "good".

2. Go to a tournament (Apex, or Evo), win, (as Mewtwo, and Mewtwo alone), then come back and tell me he's "good".

Right now you should be saying "easy money!", but in reality, you probably aren't. So, until you meet these requirements, let us Mewtwo fans complain.
He can't though. ZeRo would probably give him a whoopin and tell him to not use Mewtwo and use Sheik.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Pretty sure any buffs I'm about to list have already been suggested, but here's what I'd like for Mewtwo.

-Make u-tilt's hitbox last all the way through the animation and make the move a bit faster.
-Make b-air a bit faster.
-Make u-air a bit faster.
-Make f-tilt a bit faster.
-Fix grab and dash grab's hitboxes.
-Give Shadow Ball a charging hitbox.
-Give Disable heavy shield damage.
-Give n-air either a slightly bigger hitbox or more priority.
-Give Mewtwo invulnerability at the start of Teleport and reduce the move's end lag.
-Reduce d-throw's end lag.
-Give Confusion a slightly faster startup.

To top it off, give Mewtwo his Melee weight back at the very least. He'd still be light like Sakurai wants him to be, but not to the absurd level of being lighter than a literal 2-D sprite. Though I don't think Sakurai will ever alter things like weight.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I like all the different ideas for buffs in this thread, however i think that only these are what we could realistically get at this point.

Utilt - Make hitbox match tail animation.
Bair - Make hitbox match tail animation.
Uair - Make hitbox match tail animation.
Fsmash - extend the hitbox so it doesn't whiff at close range.
Fair - Also fix to not miss at close range.
Grab - Fix hitbox so it doesn't whiff as easily.

Weight - Mewtwo should be around midweight, or at least around his Melee weight.

Maybe also fix Dthrow so that it gives Mewtwo frame advantage and is a combo throw.

Last edited:

AlmostDoug

Smash Cadet
NNID
AlmostDoug
3DS FC
1048-8205-2086

1. Go to a tournament, fight Zer0 (and win) as Mewtwo, and then come back and tell me he's "good".

Your trolling isn't even amusing why

Top Bottom