• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of things to buff Mewtwo

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
In melee, didn't disable while in the air just drop the opponent as if their shield was freshly broke? Why does it have knock back in the air anyway and no Disabling effects? If it was fixed to say a Sleep effect (because hypnosis and psychic physic's accuracy), they would drop in the air and try to wake up, I feel that might really balance him out since it is hard to land in the air anyway.

(Also jigglypuff really needs more range with her Sing, but it could be added to her as well.)

meleebrawler meleebrawler Moves that have some uncertainty bring a bit of balance don't they though?
why the opponent doesnt get disabled in air is because of one major reason:

the Dizzyness in brawl and forward has the action "disable" set to "If enter Air in this mode, go to Fall Action" which basically makes them get 100% recover from when they are in air like when the ground under them disappears or pushed of the ledge when they are dizzy.
since the effect of the attack only makes them go directly to the "Grounded Dizzyness", making it useless in air cause it will just simply make them take damage but act directly out of it! this can also apply to sleep cause they is pretty much the same (shield broke has 3 actions before going to grounded dizzyness: Shield Break Start -> Shield Break Fall -> Dizzyness Start -> Grounded Dizzyness)

I really want sleep and dizzyness should work in air. they did make the opponent sleep in air by darkrai but why not jigglypuff aswell ;-;

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Lol I wasn't aware of that. I dunno to me it just feels like Mewtwo is a lot slower than all the other light characters in this game, at least in the air. Maybe I'm getting landing lag confused with start up.
Most likely. Mewtwo is about as fast as Wii Fit Trainer on the ground and is as fast as Mario, Sonic, and DK in the air. His speed attributes are very good. The only slow thing about him is his fall speed and frame data, and his fast fall speed is decent.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Perhaps his disable in the air should put people into fast fall status? Like it can totally cancel out recovery moves and jumps. Enemies can still use aerials and air dodges, unless they used an up b recovery.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Perhaps his disable in the air should put people into fast fall status? Like it can totally cancel out recovery moves and jumps. Enemies can still use aerials and air dodges, unless they used an up b recovery.
I mean the range alone will always keep this from becoming Op. If you include the whole must face opponent then it is awful. I agree with pikazz pikazz that it should go through shields, but maybe not invincibility. Idk it still may not even be Op then. This is all just talk though so I won't get my hopes up.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
A balanced roster is kind of hopeless given that Sakurai focuses squarely on casual gameplay at the expense of competitive viability. The only way Mewtwo will ever get a buff is if he seems flawed at a beginner level.

But if i could change only 3 things, it would be: 1. Give him medium weight while retaining his floaty physics; 2. Remove the start-up lag on his confusion; 3. Give him the ability to attack out of his Teleport instead of going into a defenseless state. I can live with everything else about Mewtwo if he got those buffs - especially the weight increase.

Last edited:

Curleh_Mustache

Smash Cadet
* Slightly faster speed
* Faster fall speed
* Remove hurtbox on tail
* Increase weight
* Make attacks match the tail swing trail
* More range and stun on Disable
* More follow ups on Down throw
* Confusion needs more hitstun
* Add hitbox to shadow ball
* Less ending lag on uptilt, uair, and bair

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
I mean the range alone will always keep this from becoming Op. If you include the whole must face opponent then it is awful. I agree with pikazz pikazz that it should go through shields, but maybe not invincibility. Idk it still may not even be Op then. This is all just talk though so I won't get my hopes up.
Compared to Zero Suit Samus's standard B, down smash.. And her down B(the one that buries people for god knows how long), Mewtwo's disable is very underpowered indeed and incredibly hard to pull off on competent foes. Yeah at the very least, a range buff.

Also.. Down smash needs to have a better hitbox, or be able to hit behind like Lucas. I know I mentioned this a while back..

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Also.. Down smash needs to have a better hitbox, or be able to hit behind like Lucas. I know I mentioned this a while back..
I like it how it is but if it were to hit behind I think it would be cool if he used his tail. So when he swings his hand down he also swings his tail and the back would be weaker. Idk again all just talk.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Bring in mewtwo wii say, keep him like 'melee' wii figure8☼ Plz No, Buff him, Damn. [<] We get a taste of the new colors, and suddenly the Mewtwo fan-base slowly crawls back. Haha. I am here too.

godogod

Smash Ace
One day..

Here's hoping we do at least get
+melee weight back
+up air, up tilt, fmash, grab hitbox fixed
+up throw or back throw killing like 10% sooner
+shadowball getting a hitbox again when charged

Realistically..Who am I kidding?
+1 damage on confusion
+some hitboxes fixed(maybe)
+some kill move randomly picked from a hat to kill earlier. Probably up air. Lol

;_;

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
So.. No balance updates for Mewtwo .

But apparently invincibility frames for air dodge and back roll have been reduced, which I feel like he gets a bigger hit from than most characters..

How about more shield stun though? Does that actually help any of his moves?

Last edited:

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
No changes to Mewtwo. Oh boy, why the hell am I not surprised. It looks like neither of the other DLC characters got any changes either, though. Maybe they're waiting until the next DLC character comes out, and maybe there will be a DLC character-only patch which will make sure that Mewtwo gets more attention and will finally get actual improvements that will greatly improve his viability in tournaments........if you couldn't tell I'm completely BS-ing here, Mewtwo will NEVER get any drastic improvements through these patches. Like I've been saying, Mewtwo is forever destined to be a bottom tier character in this game, just like Zelda and Samus, except that Zelda and Samus actually get buffs from these patches. Sakurai wants Mewtwo to suck, and therefore Mewtwo will continue to suck, for the rest of this game's existence, and if Sakurai makes the next Smash game (if there ever is another one), then Mewtwo will inevitably suck in that game too. It's how it will always go.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
The game underwent significant changes in this patch on a general level. I think the changes generally favor Mewtwo, as he can force shields in many situations. Mewtwo still has his problems, but don't feel so glum - you can't expect Sakurai to massively change the game's fundamental mechanics and give characters serious buffs. He has to see how this plays out.

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
The game underwent significant changes in this patch on a general level. I think the changes generally favor Mewtwo, as he can force shields in many situations. Mewtwo still has his problems, but don't feel so glum - you can't expect Sakurai to massively change the game's fundamental mechanics and give characters serious buffs. He has to see how this plays out.
You'd think that since he is a DLC character, that Sakurai would put more attention on them, especially because those are specifically characters that you have to pay for. If he hasn't seen how Mewtwo has played out by now, then he never will. And I'm not being glum, I'm just being realistic.

BlastLine99

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megatronus
You'd think that since he is a DLC character, that Sakurai would put more attention on them, especially because those are specifically characters that you have to pay for. If he hasn't seen how Mewtwo has played out by now, then he never will. And I'm not being glum, I'm just being realistic.
He probably sent TOO much time on him. I'm betting, since people were going to have to pay for him, Sakurai was afraid to make him op, which would make people complain that we were being forced to buy the best characters. I think in due time he will make changes. Probably when we get the first ballot character.

There weren't really many individual changes to characters, but the changes to the shields were huge, and I'm betting he wants to see what happens before he nerfs or buffs any more characters.

Honestly, the changes to shields seem like they will help Mewtwo, as his heavy attacks will not be as easily punished out of shield.

godogod

Smash Ace
We'll get changes alright, but its going to trickle out, and it seems more than likely the vast majority of the changes won't be what we were hoping for.

This balance patch is awful outside the shield stun. Most of the gametuning for characters were for custom moves. Nobody even uses custom moves, largerly because we still can't even play them in most online modes. Almost as asinine as mii fighter costumes when they can't be played in For Fun and For Glory.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
We'll get changes alright, but its going to trickle out, and it seems more than likely the vast majority of the changes won't be what we were hoping for.

This balance patch is awful outside the shield stun. Most of the gametuning for characters were for custom moves. Nobody even uses custom moves, largerly because we still can't even play them in most online modes. Almost as asinine as mii fighter costumes when they can't be played in For Fun and For Glory.
Also DLC still don't have customs unless they get brought in next patch. Not to mention the shield stun hurts everyone just as much as it helps them.

godogod

Smash Ace
ZSS and Yoshi got buffed quite a bit due to the shield stun. Great.

I don't think we'll ever get dlc custom moves. Just like we don't get mii fighters and custom moves. Though this holiday season would be the perfect time for it, along with dlc characters.

Browny

Smash Hater
No changes to Mewtwo. Oh boy, why the hell am I not surprised. It looks like neither of the other DLC characters got any changes either, though. Maybe they're waiting until the next DLC character comes out, and maybe there will be a DLC character-only patch which will make sure that Mewtwo gets more attention and will finally get actual improvements that will greatly improve his viability in tournaments........if you couldn't tell I'm completely BS-ing here, Mewtwo will NEVER get any drastic improvements through these patches. Like I've been saying, Mewtwo is forever destined to be a bottom tier character in this game, just like Zelda and Samus, except that Zelda and Samus actually get buffs from these patches. Sakurai wants Mewtwo to suck, and therefore Mewtwo will continue to suck, for the rest of this game's existence, and if Sakurai makes the next Smash game (if there ever is another one), then Mewtwo will inevitably suck in that game too. It's how it will always go.
I honestly dont think Mewtwo is a bad character, and apparently most of Japan has that view too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yru1aMldQU&feature=youtu.be

Look at match 2, thats how you play Mewtwo. If people werent so horribly skewed by what Zero says, maybe he would be perceived as a better character. I would happily bet large amounts that if zero made a video saying any of like, the perceived 25 weakest characters is actually bottom tier, half the competitive community would agree with him. Anyway...

A common rebuttal to saying Mewtwo isnt that bad is 'well, which characters are worse than him'? In that case, IMO;

:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4marth::4samus::4zelda::4palutena::4lucina::4shulk::4drmario::4duckhunt::4falco:

And debatable;

:4greninja::4littlemac::4link::4megaman::4tlink::4robinm::4lucas::4bowserjr::4gaw::4ganondorf:

I have seen exactly 0 proof of the first lot of characters being better than Mewtwo and in fact, all the tournament/gameplay evidence out there points to Mewtwo being more viable than them.

As for the second lot, I think that truly depends on more character experience to make them worse competitively. They all have a lot of tricks but once people figure them out, they suffer. Mewtwo is in the same category.

BlastLine99

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megatronus
I honestly dont think Mewtwo is a bad character, and apparently most of Japan has that view too.

Look at match 2, thats how you play Mewtwo. If people werent so horribly skewed by what Zero says, maybe he would be perceived as a better character. I would happily bet large amounts that if zero made a video saying any of like, the perceived 25 weakest characters is actually bottom tier, half the competitive community would agree with him. Anyway...

A common rebuttal to saying Mewtwo isnt that bad is 'well, which characters are worse than him'? In that case, IMO;

:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4marth::4samus::4zelda::4palutena::4lucina::4shulk::4drmario::4duckhunt::4falco:

And debatable;

:4greninja::4littlemac::4link::4megaman::4tlink::4robinm::4lucas::4bowserjr::4gaw::4ganondorf:

I have seen exactly 0 proof of the first lot of characters being better than Mewtwo and in fact, all the tournament/gameplay evidence out there points to Mewtwo being more viable than them.

As for the second lot, I think that truly depends on more character experience to make them worse competitively. They all have a lot of tricks but once people figure them out, they suffer. Mewtwo is in the same category.
Mewtwo is good, there's no real denying that. The largest issue is his amazingly high learning curve. The japanese love him because of their more defensive playstyle, while western players tend to hate him because they firmly believe rushdown is the only way to play this game. The problem is that Mewtwo has a few key issue (such as his weight) that make many of his match ups uphill battles.This is fine for anyone who is dedicated to the character, but Mewtwo's faults make many, many players give up on using him, and you can't really blame them.

Also, for your example given, that Mewtwo player is good, but seemed to rely a little too heavily on try to trick the opponent and make them mess up. He should have tried to pressure him a little more, which brings me to my next point. A lot of Mewtwo players use Confusion way, WAY too little. Unless they spot dodge, Confusion will stop your opponent dead in their tracks without fail. You don't even have to try and hit them with it, just throw it out there every so often to try and scare them. It's an amazing move I'm not seeing get used enough. When it works, Confusion into F-smash or U-smash is just beautiful.

Here's a link to my Youtube page, where I post a lot of Mewtwo matches. You'll see that how much I use Confusion. Tell me what you think. (Admittedly I might use it too much, but still defend the usefulness of the attack.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbEi4PIIo2ISbCCG2G8ndrQ

Browny

Smash Hater
Do you have any videos offline, I'll watch them.

As for confusion; I've said this before
Confusion is a top tier move and I wont have anyone suggesting otherwise.

Some characters have a command grab special
Some have a reflector
Some have a mid-air stalling move

To have all 3 of those traits in a single move is incredible.

Seriously people complaining about confusion not comboing is insane.

Lets imagine for a minute that Wario's bite was a reflector that helped him recover and combod. Sounds overpowered? That's because it is and that's what you're after. If confusion combod into anything (which would be f-air) it would easily be the best move in the entire game and polarize many matchups.
It's an amazing move. Proper use of confusion gives mewtwo an answer to almost every single approach in the game, only really losing to z-airs.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Mewtwo would be at least passable if they would just fix his hitboxes, and decent if he got a weight buff on top of that. I don't think a lot of people realize how much a problem being a big target and dying to a mosquito bite is.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Mewtwo would be at least passable if they would just fix his hitboxes, and decent if he got a weight buff on top of that. I don't think a lot of people realize how much a problem being a big target and dying to a mosquito bite is.
I kinda agree. I sometimes feel like it's Meta Knight at launch. Course that's when you have a couple people here going "git gud scrub" or "learn where the real hitbox is".

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman

And debatable;

Well of course someone who's mentally f'd-up logic tells him that a forward-throw buff = weight buff, which is what you have posted in the past, would think that Mewtwo is a good character. If you actually think that Falco, Game&Watch, and Greninja are worse than Mewtwo, then no one should ever believe any of the BS you say. Now go ahead and continue to have faith in this garbage character and get nowhere with him, because he is going nowhere unless you can prove otherwise in tournament, which will be never.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Browny Browny I doubt the actual good tourney players listen to what Zero has to say. The people who follow him most likely don't even tourney or make up the free wins in pools if anything.

BlastLine99 BlastLine99 I don't think everyone has that rushdown mindset some are more calm and planned out, expecially if you play someone who can't/shouldn't be playing hyper aggressive. I like to play Robin, Dr. Mario, Bowser and Ganon so I know I am not getting anywhere acting like I am some ZSS or Sheik.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I main Ganon and Bowser and you have to be passive aggressive. Going full leeroy jenkins against say yoshi is a death sentence.

Likewise with Mewtwo you need a gameplan. Which honestly I let my opponent move first so I can observe and find attack patterns to exploit.

Or conditioning if you will.

Rock paper scissors in a way.

Browny

Smash Hater
Well of course someone who's mentally f'd-up logic tells him that a forward-throw buff = weight buff, which is what you have posted in the past, would think that Mewtwo is a good character. If you actually think that Falco, Game&Watch, and Greninja are worse than Mewtwo, then no one should ever believe any of the BS you say. Now go ahead and continue to have faith in this garbage character and get nowhere with him, because he is going nowhere unless you can prove otherwise in tournament, which will be never.
Get mad

I don't need to prove to random people on the internet something I believe in through winning tournaments. I'll explain my point of view and if you don't agree, that's cool. I will literally never care.

My only goal is to stop the spread of misinformation, because that's when the game starts to suffer competitively and makes watching steams with commentary unbearable.

And I'll happily stick by my claim of fthrow buff being equivalent to a weight buff. People seem to forget that to win a game of smash, you dont simply take the enemies stocks. You have to take their stocks BEFORE they take yours. Literally nothing that happens in a game alters this, there is only one win condition.

If you are doing more damage on your attacks in general, you have a higher probability of taking the enemies stocks sooner as they will reach KO% with less attacks. Conversely if the enemy is doing less damage per attack, it will take them longer for you to reach KO%. Which is literally the exact same as taking longer to reach KO % from receiving a weight buff.

To reach the win condition more easily, either the enemy reaches KO % earlier or you reach KO % later. Its literally the same thing.

If thats too outrageous for you, how about an FPS analogy. You and the enemy both have guns that do 18 damage per shot and your soldiers have 100 hp.

In a firefight, the first person to land 6 hits wins. If my gun is buffed to now do 20 damage, I only have to land 5 hits to win the match while the enemy has to land 6 still. If however, my hp was buffed to say, 110 and the enemies damage is the same it now takes the enemy 7 hits to kill me, but it takes me 6.

In both situations, the one and only win condition is more easy to reach.

Furret24

Smash Master
Get mad

I don't need to prove to random people on the internet something I believe in through winning tournaments. I'll explain my point of view and if you don't agree, that's cool. I will literally never care.

My only goal is to stop the spread of misinformation, because that's when the game starts to suffer competitively and makes watching steams with commentary unbearable.

And I'll happily stick by my claim of fthrow buff being equivalent to a weight buff. People seem to forget that to win a game of smash, you dont simply take the enemies stocks. You have to take their stocks BEFORE they take yours. Literally nothing that happens in a game alters this, there is only one win condition.

If you are doing more damage on your attacks in general, you have a higher probability of taking the enemies stocks sooner as they will reach KO% with less attacks. Conversely if the enemy is doing less damage per attack, it will take them longer for you to reach KO%. Which is literally the exact same as taking longer to reach KO % from receiving a weight buff.

To reach the win condition more easily, either the enemy reaches KO % earlier or you reach KO % later. Its literally the same thing.

If thats too outrageous for you, how about an FPS analogy. You and the enemy both have guns that do 18 damage per shot and your soldiers have 100 hp.

In a firefight, the first person to land 6 hits wins. If my gun is buffed to now do 20 damage, I only have to land 5 hits to win the match while the enemy has to land 6 still. If however, my hp was buffed to say, 110 and the enemies damage is the same it now takes the enemy 7 hits to kill me, but it takes me 6.

I can't even read this.
:gawmelee:

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

And I'll happily stick by my claim of fthrow buff being equivalent to a weight buff.
You want to stop the spread of misinformation yet here you are spreading misinformation.

Fthrow buff is a damage buff. All it ever was. End of ****ing discussion.

BlastLine99

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megatronus
Get mad

A F-throw weight buff might be nice, but putting emphasis on one or only a few attacks would not be enough to improve Mewtwo. Also, if you were to only make grabs stronger, well, plenty of great players know how to just not get grabbed.

My opinion is that yes, Mewtwo needs a buff, and yes a weight increase may help a lot, but there may more options than that. I've been thinking, and I think Mewtwo needs to be either heavier, faster or stronger. Maybe some people don't want to hear it, but he is supposed to be unbalanced. He's a lot like Little Mac. Very strong in one area, and very weak in another. The only problem is that Mewtwo is not quite where he should be to make this obvious to everyone. It's almost as if the developers were going this way with him, and then decided to dial it back for unknown reasons.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I main Ganon and Bowser and you have to be passive aggressive. Going full leeroy jenkins against say yoshi is a death sentence.

Likewise with Mewtwo you need a gameplan. Which honestly I let my opponent move first so I can observe and find attack patterns to exploit.

Or conditioning if you will.

Rock paper scissors in a way.
Pretty much this.
Whenever i want to play more agressive with ol' M2, i get ripped apart.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A F-throw weight buff might be nice, but putting emphasis on one or only a few attacks would not be enough to improve Mewtwo. Also, if you were to only make grabs stronger, well, plenty of great players know how to just not get grabbed.

My opinion is that yes, Mewtwo needs a buff, and yes a weight increase may help a lot, but there may more options than that. I've been thinking, and I think Mewtwo needs to be either heavier, faster or stronger. Maybe some people don't want to hear it, but he is supposed to be unbalanced. He's a lot like Little Mac. Very strong in one area, and very weak in another. The only problem is that Mewtwo is not quite where he should be to make this obvious to everyone. It's almost as if the developers were going this way with him, and then decided to dial it back for unknown reasons.
And where you say "obvious", most people say "polarizing". Casual and lower level players already tend to throw fits when faced with the likes of Captain Falcon or pre-patch Luigi even though they have obvious weaknesses, do we really want Mewtwo to be viewed the same way?

Mewtwo isn't an offensive powerhouse like he is in his native series or how most famous glass cannons are viewed. Instead he is a defensive powerhouse capable of beating back or evading almost any assault with proper application of his moves. While this is obviously not as immediately rewarding as sick combos or blazing attack speed, and many players may lack the patience to do so in the face of his weight, he doesn't absolutely need them to be successful. His selling points are that he moves rather well for a character of his punishing playstyle and possesses means to counter ways that would normally prevent him from doing so. Seriously just look at the Mewtwo vs. Ryu video recently posted in the relevant thread and tell me Mewtwo can't move.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Casual and lower level players already tend to throw fits when faced with the likes of Captain Falcon or pre-patch Luigi even though they have obvious weaknesses, do we really want Mewtwo to be viewed the same way?
Its preferable to having moves that literally don't work the way they should.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Its preferable to having moves that literally don't work the way they should.
Not should. Want.

The truth is his moves DO work properly when you learn to use them. Therefore the solution isn't to pretend the hitbox issues don't exist nor whine until they get "fixed", but be up front and educate about them to those who want to put time in Mewtwo so that they can avoid running afoul of them and thus use the moves more efficiently. Because with all the practice I've got now I can count the number of such whiffs occurring on one hand.

If they DO get "fixed", fine; but it's not actually going to make him better for the most part and is really a very small problem in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He wants them to work they way they should so hitting is consistent and not all about finding magical hitbox with your mind's eye.

But if that's your shtick then don't let me stop you.
There's really only one move that really hits in a different place that the animation may lead you to believe (fair), anything else at least somewhat matches the trails.

And there's also these things called "training" and "CPUs" that can be used to test stuff and find the best uses without the stress of also trying to win, not to mention asking around the boards and hopefully not just getting a "lolol their hitboxes suk".

Top Bottom