• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of reasons why you should give Lucario a try: (BLOODY 'ELL UPDATED!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Mind if I add one more thing? This kind of goes under the "versatility" trait, but Lucario's got angles. What I mean by that is, no matter where you aim at him, he can cover it. Unlike linear char's such as ZSS, Lucario has plenty of ways to deal with strong behind approaches, frontal approaches, and aerial approaches. In short, he's an aura fortress.

Milln

Smash Champion
You should strike Marth from your list of linear characters, because he isn't one. Marth can effectively cover all around him with many different moves.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You should strike Marth from your list of linear characters, because he isn't one. Marth can effectively cover all around him with many different moves.
Sorry, did I seriously say that? I meant Ike, due to tilt, sideB, Fmash, etc. He can cover with a few arcs, but he's too slow to do it effectively. Ya, marth can cover well, with little lag and both nair and dsmash being good moves. plus, he's all about spacing, which means he should be placing u in his apex position. Duh, of all people to mistaken, me, a Marth and Lucario hybrid. But we get the point, Lucario has arcs and large hitboxes to exploit as powerful, covering measures.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
We need a picture of Lucario on a cross with a gigantic aura. I bet we could start a cult.
speaking of which, it seems that the Marth boards are starting something of a diety on Emblem Lord, and obviously, Ken.

Sorry about Dbl Posting, I just found it too different from my previous post to include it in.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
13: Lucario is a top tier killer.

Is snake bothering you? Well Lucario can chain throw him to 70% at the beginning of a stock, then throw him over the edge and gimp him. Metaknight giving you a hard time? Lucario's range and spacing can deal with him. Marth? Lucario's lingering hitboxes give his sword a run for his money. Lucario has almost no bad match ups against the current top tier characters. If you're looking for a counterpick that can deal with a range of opponents, then he's your Pokemon.

14: Lucario doesn't suffer from any character-specific gimps. He can't be infinited by anyone, and isn't subject to any unfair glitches on his side. He can't even be chain thrown effectively by Falco, although Dedede is still a problem. Still, that's one less thing to worry about!

Browny

Smash Hater
lol i wouldnt say hes a top tier killer. hes can definitely put up a fair fight, but his lack of an instant-kill move really hurts him, which they all have.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
lol i wouldnt say hes a top tier killer. hes can definitely put up a fair fight, but his lack of an instant-kill move really hurts him, which they all have.
like what? At 100%, Lucario can KO just as well as any of the top tier characters, and before he gets to that level, he has a fine time getting their damage up, especially the ones he can chain throw.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I think he means the lack of a spike or things like Falcon Punch, Rest, screach(uppercut) ect. Although Lucario's grab > fthrow is almost instant and will kill at 100%ish depending on where you are.

They would make combo's (or attack strings whatever) great because you would have an almost certain kill as a combo finisher. To he honest though, I think Lucario got something better; dair. Dair is easily the the best combo breaker in the game. It stops your momentum, screwing them up, and sends them flying away even at low %'s. It also comes out relatively fast. It's extremely hard to combo Lucario because of this, and at times, it's hard not to get combo'd by Lucario out of this.

Browny

Smash Hater
i mean top tier character have moves they can spam out of shields/spot dodges incredibly fast. snake utilt, MK/G&W dsmash etc. Who needs spacing when you can rapid-fire extremely powerful KO moves with no lag whatsoever, then shield again to remain unpunishable. lucarios throws are decent, but not spammable.

Gymn

Smash Cadet
Falco Chain

13: Lucario is a top tier killer.

Is snake bothering you? Well Lucario can chain throw him to 70% at the beginning of a stock, then throw him over the edge and gimp him. Metaknight giving you a hard time? Lucario's range and spacing can deal with him. Marth? Lucario's lingering hitboxes give his sword a run for his money. Lucario has almost no bad match ups against the current top tier characters. If you're looking for a counterpick that can deal with a range of opponents, then he's your Pokemon.

14: Lucario doesn't suffer from any character-specific gimps. He can't be infinited by anyone, and isn't subject to any unfair glitches on his side. He can't even be chain thrown effectively by Falco, although Dedede is still a problem. Still, that's one less thing to worry about!
Nessbounder i hav to disagree, me and 2 of my other friends play lucario and we can get chained by falco and then once he gets to the edge d-air for a spike. We can nvr escape it :mad:

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
On Marth: true he has some good aerials. gonna edit that soon. (THIS is what I'm talking about, some of my info may be wrong so PLEASE correct or disagree with me)
NESSBOUNDER: good info on both of them. I'll add them later (with due credit =3)
People I have been INSANE busy these last few days: it's hard to even play brawl (waaah...) but I swear I'll try to update soon enough.

Na paz, galera.

Lucario623

Smash Rookie
List of Reasons why you should give Lucario a try:

DISCLAMIER:
This is by no means a "stop using Pit and play Lucario!" thread. It's really to show the qualities of playing Lucario and demonstrating how much potential he really has. If you want to bash, though, feel free to do it. Forums ARE about discussion, after all.

This is dedicated to everyone who goes around screaming "he's Mewtwo 2.0" and "man lolcario sucks" after playing him for two minutes in training mode without even trying to search him up before. If you have anything to add to this list then feel free to do so.

Updates in green.

1. He's freaking unique
Lucario has a special trait called aura that increases his attack depending on the damage taken. The exact numbers are still uknown but the general consensus is that every 50% damage taken increases the attack power of all of his attacks by 25% (excluding dash attack and back throw). This effectively means that being at 100% while the opponent is still at 50% isn't a really bad thing: the extra damage can quickly even the odds. Name another character who can say this.

2. Combo, combo, COMBO!!
Lucario has one of the best combo potentials in the game. Period. His air attacks are all quick to load and can usually be linked to one another, even with a fully-charged aura sphere (which could effectively KO a semi-damaged opponent). Even force-palm can chain heavy characters up to 60% before they can shake you off.

3. It's not that bad that he's replacing Mewtwo
And I mean REPLACING, not as a clone character. Let's be frank: Mewtwo was out of place in Melee (and man, you really need to be terrible to be out of place in smash bros...). He was big, but still easily launched. He had slow smash attacks and an odd neutral b that would sometimes miss entirely, and a simply out-of-place look in him.
Lucario, on the other hand, does him justice: he's floaty, but at least he's harder to hit. His moveset is strong, and his aerial game keeps your opponents in their toes. I say thanks Mewtwo, but maybe you should step out now.

4. Extremespeed is the best edgeguard juker around
"Bububut it dosn't do damage..." Who cares? Is Ike getting ready to f-smash you back to doomsday? Curve the recovery and go for the ledge instead. Someone edge-hogged you in final destination? Wall cling the wall beneath him and afterwards go for the stage itself. With a few exceptions (coughcoughpitcough) you can hardly go for a better recovery move.

5. Take that f-smash back. Counters destroy.
"HA!! Marth and Ike's counter are better!!" Oh are they? Sure they don't need as much timing, however they don't have a great KO potential unless the opponent is close to the edge. Lucario's double-team sends the opponent upwards, which means you can get a star ko easily independent of the stage, this includes normally annoying ones like shadow moses and bridge of eldin. Also double-team gets aura boost: with 130% you can easily KO an opponent who is still at 80% damage. So what if the timing's off a little? Practise makes perfect.

6. He's the king of comebacks.
Everyone's seen them. Matches that seemed lost suddenly took a turn for the best. Players managing two KO's in the last instant of a battle. The thing is that Lucario players see this all the time: Louie get's aura boost just by staying behind stock in a match, and that adds up with the normal aura boost from damage. This means that you have a HUGE chance of comeback if you use this correctly. My favorite saying when I'm in the verge of losing is "never say never".

7. Mindgames: so little used, so much potential.
In a traditional match, whoever has high damage is on the bad end and whoever has low damage is on the good end. Take that and throw it in the trash: whenever Lucario is high in damage he isn't unduly worried: his opponent is due to his increase in damage and priority. Watch his aura sphere charge at 30% and then see it charge at 170%. Tell me if that isn't scary.

8. Air combat (can't get much better than this)
Count with me: we have one quick and linking air attack (front air), one with decent knockback and great priority (neutral air), an excelent juggling tool that just leaves opponents at our mercy (up air), another one that is surprisingly quick and equally painful (back air), and, the coupe d'gras, a ridiculously strong attack with insane speed that actually stops all momentum in the fall (doun air, we sing you praises). Good enough: oh yeah don't forget these are all with disjointed hitboxes. Bring it all up and you have a ridiculously powerful air fighter with few to match. What do you make of that?

9. Find your playstyle, don't adapt it.
Marth absolutely must stay in ground-style battle in order to win. Game & Watch can't play defensively in no way or he will face KO. Samus depends in ranged battle. Metaknight needs to go all-out in order to KO opponents, while Peach needs mindgames with her hovering abilities to gain the upper-edge. However, there is nothing of the such with Lucario. He has great ground battle and combo abilities, an excelent air moveset, nice mindgame potential and can be a great character to play defensively. This means that no Lucario plays like the same, and a really good player can actively change their battle style midway through a battle, thus confusing the opponent entirely. You think you know how all Lucario users fight after playing twice with them? Think again.

10. Slow ground combat?
Perhaps, but that doesn't mean bad ground combat. Grab attacks are good and can be adapted for the situation, forward smash has MORE range than Ike himself, and all tilts deal good damage in comparison to other character's tilt attacks. Add it in to force palm chain grab and you have a nice moveset for ground fighters.
Or, just force the opponent into air combat and finish him there.

11. Oh, not KO'ed yet? Let's fix this situation, shall we? (or: the Art of Gimping)
Why edgeguard, when there is a much better option at your disposal? Lucario has been blessed by the traits of slow fall, amazing recovery sweetspot and quick aerials, so why put them to waste?
Launch the opponent off the screen, and and instead of watching them using their moves to recover jump out of the screen and go after them yourself. Lucario's already demonic down-air can become even more deadly in this situation: by stopping all momentum he can time the exact moment to hit you away from the ledge. Even if he does miss, Extremespeed is perfect to edgehog the ledge.
I dare you to see an Ike or Wolf user do this on a daily basis.

12. Aura Sphere. Versatility: Eleven
Lucario has one projectile that works for three. Aura sphere can be a devastating mid-long range projectile, a great edgeguarding move, and a nice mindgame tool.
For one, it charges up roughly half the time of Samus's Charge Beam. However, the damage depends once again on your aura. At zero % it deals 13 damage. Nice considering Samus deals 26% with a longer charge time. At 120% watch it grow bigger and deal 20% instead. Now face a Lucario at 170+% and watch the Aura Sphere grow bigger than himself and deal 26%.
Even if the damage is bad, spamming Baby Aura Spheres is great for stopping charging attackers and making them commit mistakes. Sometimes your opponnet might miscalculate and roll towards you, is a perfect distance to get chain grabbed by Force Palm...
Also, it is possible to charge the AS in midair without launching. The opponent is falling back to the stage? Jump and charge. You will either disrupt his return or get a nice star KO for your trouble.

I wish people would look beyond the "LULZ POKEMAHN!!" idea and gave Lucario a try. He's one hell of a character.
I agree because when i tell somebody that my best character is Lucario they laugh and later i kick their butts and they don't know what hit them.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
The first time I tried Lucario, I absolutely hated him. I played him in exactly the wrong way and kept getting creamed. Then, I read this thread and watched a few videos of good Lucarios, and I decided to give him another try. My first thought when I tried him again was, "wow, a character in brawl can actually combo!" I wholeheartedly agree with all of the stated reasons to play Lucario.

I'm pretty sure Nessbounder is right that Lucario can escape Falco's chaingrab. Bombsoldier never goes for the chaingrab against Lucario in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=26l244eEzEY, but he goes for it against other characters. Falco can still Dthrow => dair though. What a pain . . .

Quepp42

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for this topic. You have finally convinced me to seriously pick up lucario. I just posted something similar on the Jigg's board (my main). I used to main G&W, but I like the challenge, satisfaction, and uniqueness of using a "low/mid tier" character. I firmly believe that all the characters can be very good if used correctly. I feel sorry for all those people afraid to main a "weaker" character and use the less fun (imo) snake or MK.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Thank you so much for this topic. You have finally convinced me to seriously pick up lucario. I just posted something similar on the Jigg's board (my main). I used to main G&W, but I like the challenge, satisfaction, and uniqueness of using a "low/mid tier" character. I firmly believe that all the characters can be very good if used correctly. I feel sorry for all those people afraid to main a "weaker" character and use the less fun (imo) snake or MK.
*Gasps* a convert! You will be redeemed!
jk, but welcome to the Lucario boards!

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
wow, just reading stories of people who also are using Lucario now just makes this completely worth it. It's awful because people don't see well Lucario because he is simply, well, Lucario. Because he's a 4th gen Pokemon and roughly 75% of serious smash players have never played D&P, and also because he's replacing Mewtwo, who is a symbol to everyone who played R&B. It just pains that Lucario just won't get any attention in the west, so I'm happy when people realize his potential.
Kudos! Gonna update soon with Nessbounder's info.
Keep it coming!!

Nodrak

Smash Ace
roughly 75% of serious smash players have never played D&P
That's me!

he's replacing Mewtwo, who is a symbol to everyone who played R&B
Me again!

I'm glad I realized his power early on =P anyway I've realized something else too.. well something I already knew but that just hit me while playing against some friends. Lucario is a combo monster sure, his attacks grow with damage and ko power is good past 100-ish, ok, but he was giving one extra advantage over other characters... Dair, the best combo breaker in the game. Not only is Lucario one of the best at combo-ing others, he's also one of the hardest for others to combo him. Dair will hit anyone below and nearby Lucario, stopping that line of attack and it can be done almost instantly out of most throws and attacks if you aren't high on damage.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the thread and advice! It's really useful. I've wanted to main Lucario for a while, but wasn't doing it properly...

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
Great thread Tallen! I just recently started playing Lucario again & I'm really enjoying him gotta love the lingering hitboxes.

Oh yea Tallen luv the sig!!!

Browny

Smash Hater
i got a new reason... coz lucario pwns

from the character rankings list

S Rank
1 Snake (6 top8, 5 top4, 3 wins, 30.5 pts)
2 Meta Knight (7 top8, 6 top4, 18.5 pts)

A Rank
3 ROB (1 top8, 3 top4, 1 win, 13 pts)
3 Lucario (1 top8, 3 top4, 1 win, 13 pts)

granted its only been a week and things will change soon, i think its great that lucario is being recognised as a serious candidate for high tier. sure it means more people will bandwagon main lucario, but its about time people got over those silly misconceptions of him being too weak at low % and having a qq about his recovery.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I'm just hoping we don't have to put up with the hostiles that some other boards seem to pick up with popularity. :/

The ranking list could change at any moment, though, considering so many characters have around the same numbers as Lucario on the list.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
I'm just hoping we don't have to put up with the hostiles that some other boards seem to pick up with popularity. :/
hmm quite true. people here are all so nice, it would be a shame this would become something like Ike's or Snake's boards.
oh and if you're one of the gajillion people PM'ing me for updates, i'm fresh out of ideas XD please post something up if you think it deserves mention and I'll give you due credit for it

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
hmm quite true. people here are all so nice, it would be a shame this would become something like Ike's or Snake's boards.
oh and if you're one of the gajillion people PM'ing me for updates, i'm fresh out of ideas XD please post something up if you think it deserves mention and I'll give you due credit for it
Doubtful. Lucario's never gonna turn into a regular flamepit. He doesn't appeal to people like that.

Remake #7 plz. D:

Oh yeah. Dair deserves its own spot. Getting popped up in the air slightly means a free falling dair to the face, and Dair is virtually impenetrable from below. Super armor moves usually run out of it before the Dair animation stops. I know this from experience. D:

Otherwise, make one on how stupidly long-lasting his hitboxes are. You can spotdodge most and still get hit. Hell, his ftilt. If it doesn't hit you when you come out of a spotdodge, it's so fast to come out that it'll hit you while you're vulnerable.

But don't quote me on this. I'm just suggesting ideas because I suck at writing this stuff. xD

tedward2000

Smash Champion
#. D-air. Lucario's Ace in the hole. WoP, Edgeguarder, top tier killer, momentum stopper, any tier killer, chain follower, shield breaker. It does it all. Its like Indiana Jones's wip. Nazis? Dair them. Seriously, this one move is the destroyer of worlds. And its all Lucarios.

-t2

Trapt497

Smash Ace
.....bump!

phew....this awesome thread can't die lol. Keep it above the spam!

#. D-air. Lucario's Ace in the hole. WoP, Edgeguarder, top tier killer, momentum stopper, any tier killer, chain follower, shield breaker. It does it all. Its like Indiana Jones's wip. Nazis? Dair them. Seriously, this one move is the destroyer of worlds. And its all Lucarios.

-t2
D-air is very great, but it doesn't necesarily need its own number since it contributed to several of the numbers that already exhist.

Oh, and lol at the reason 'because he pwns'

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
.....bump!

phew....this awesome thread can't die lol. Keep it above the spam!

D-air is very great, but it doesn't necesarily need its own number since it contributed to several of the numbers that already exhist.

Oh, and lol at the reason 'because he pwns'
Yes it does. Dair is that awesome and that essential.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Yes it does. Dair is that awesome and that essential.
But, wouldn't it just repeat statements that have been already said in previous numbers?

Hmm...I wouldn't be able to come up with new info on d-air for a new possible number, but, if you have an idea, go for it kitamerby! Tallen will post the paragraph if he likes it/doesn't think its repetative.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I love d-air as much as you do.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
wow, I dont ever recall posting that.
don't you love it when you find one of your old posts, and your like "I posted this?"

my last post here, is a perfect example.
-t2

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I suggest number 15 talk of Lucario's lingering hitboxes.

15) You think only the blue flame part of the attack will hit you? Think your safe from f-smash? Think that approaching down at an angle will keep you safe from u-smash? Think again. There is even a wider hitbox than the aura displays. Just watch Azen's video's, the way we has mastered the forward smash is truely amazing. Other examples of lingering hitboxes are f-air (there is a period where the f-air will actually hit if the opponent is slightly below you), and b-air (awesome killer, and the wide hitbox makes this move better than some people give it credit for).

What do you guys think? Worthy to get on the first page?

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
This thread is so old, lololololol.
And yet, all of the non-Lucario mains STILL think he's a bad character, like 90% of the idiots all say that Lucario is easily juggled, isn't Dair a move that hurts a lot? Last I checked, it was a move that hurts people trying to juggle him. A huge load of people think Lucario can't handle Meta Knight, Snake, Falco, ROB, Marth, Wario, WRONG!

I went to a tournament the other day and I got 4th place (sleepy johns, I woke up at 4:00 am, tournament didn't start until 8:00 PM -_-, really sucks too because I lost to a really good Wario (lOzR if you want to know his name) in the tournament, but I beat him many hours earlier in a money match), but now everyone that went respects Lucario a lot more, a bunch of people there now think Lucario has an advantage over Meta Knight. I honestly think Lucario has a slight advantage over Meta because all of his attacks stop Meta's flow and a bunch can destroy the whorenado and small hitbox doesn't matter because Lucario's attacks thrive on small hitboxes because they strike just about everywhere. Oh and, if you keep your spacing right, it will take an eternity for Meta to kill without the UpB or Dsmash. I've gone to a tier list discussion and people thought Lucario was LOW TIER! WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?

Milln was right, all non-Lucario mainers just don't understand.

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone keep saying that snake can be chain grabbed to 70ish?

Snake can't be chain grabbed by anyone if the Snake player tries to get out of it.

All he needs to do is cook a grenade and the grenade will get him out of it.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Why does everyone keep saying that snake can be chain grabbed to 70ish?

Snake can't be chain grabbed by anyone if the Snake player tries to get out of it.

All he needs to do is cook a grenade and the grenade will get him out of it.

i dont think you can cook a grenade when your in the middle of gettign CGed. any smart player wont CG snake or link or w/e else when they have an explosive in their hand. thats just plain stupid if you do that. he will also take alot of damage when the grenade goes off if you decide to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom