• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of reasons why you should give Lucario a try: (BLOODY 'ELL UPDATED!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milln

Smash Champion
Not always. It depends. When it comes to fireworks, blue can be most easily produced via copper halides, such as copper chlorate (CuCl2), which burns a deep blue-green at room temperature. However, blue stars (Class B and Class O stars, although Class O stars are better examples due to Class B having very short relative lifespans despite their power) are MUCH MUCH hotter than red stars or yellow stars, emitting most of their light in the UV spectrum.

...In short, let's just average out "cool" and "hot" and say that Lucario is officially "lukewarm."
That had nothing to do with what I was saying. D= I wasn't talking about actual temperature, I was talking about psychological temperature that blue gives off when you look at it. Also, the absorption of heat that blue has/doesn't have. T-T

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
No but Lucario does!
But that defies PHYSI-...

...What the hell am I doing applying real-world chemistry to a giant blue kung-fu canine that stands upright with fuzzy pants that shoots matching flames from his paws with strange, seemingly vestigal sharp bone growth protruding from the back of his paws and chest?

New reason: Lucario defies science itself.

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
After reading all this I'm starting to think that trying to broadcast Lucario as the next melee Shiek could be a bad thing!

I can understand the importance of having a strong following for the character's development, but the last thing we would want is for people to start overrating & bashing him for being too popular.

I personally would rather has a nice small yet STRONG following for Lucario rather than a whole bunch of idiots that just pick him up because he won a bunch of tourneys.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
No offense to anyone, but I think Tallen was merely sticking to "Lucario is awesome", as opposed to "Main Lucario, vile sinners! Then ur sins will be forgiven", lol.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
No offense to anyone, but I think Tallen was merely sticking to "Lucario is awesome", as opposed to "Main Lucario, vile sinners! Then ur sins will be forgiven", lol.
We need a picture of Lucario on a cross with a gigantic aura. I bet we could start a cult.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Premium
List of Reasons why you should give Lucario a try:

This is dedicated to everyone who goes around screaming "he's Mewtwo 2.0" and "man lolcario sucks" after playing him for two minutes in training mode without even trying to search him up before. If you have anything to add to this list then feel free to do so.

Updates in green.

1. He's freaking unique
Lucario has a special trait called aura that increases his attack depending on the damage taken. The exact numbers are still uknown but the general consensus is that every 50% damage taken increases the attack power of all of his attacks by 25% (excluding dash attack and back throw). This effectively means that being at 100% while the opponent is still at 50% isn't a really bad thing: the extra damage can quickly even the odds. Name another character who can say this.

2. Combo, combo, COMBO!!
Lucario has one of the best combo potentials in the game,.Period. His air attacks are all quick to load and can usually be linked to one another, even with a fully-charged aura sphere (which could effectively KO a semi-damaged opponent). Even force-palm can chain heavy characters up to 60% before they can shake you off.

3. It's not that bad that he's replacing Mewtwo
And I mean REPLACING, not as a clone character. Let's be frank: Mewtwo was out of place in Melee (and man, you really need to be terrible to be out of place in smash bros...). He was big, but still easily launched. He had slow smash attacks and an odd neutral b that would sometimes miss entirely, and a simply out-of-place look in him.
Lucario, on the other hand, does him justice: he's floaty, but at least he's harder to hit. His moveset is strong, and his aerial game is pretty strong. I say thanks Mewtwo, but maybe you should step out now.

4. Extremespeed is the best edgeguard juker around
"Bububut it dosn't do damage..." Who cares? Is Ike getting ready to f-smash you back to doomsday? Curve the recovery and go for the ledge instead. Someone edge-hogged you in final destination? Wall cling the wall beneath him and afterwards go for the stage itself. With a few exceptions (coughcoughpit) you can hardly go for a better recovery move.

5. Take that f-smash back. Counters destroy.
"HA!! Marth and Ike's counter are better!!" Oh are they? Sure they don't need as much timing, however they don't have a great KO potential unless the opponent is close to the edge. Lucario's double-team sends the opponent upwards, which means you can get a star ko easily independent of the stage, this includes normally annoying ones like shadow moses and bridge of eldin. Also double-team gets aura boost: with 130% you can easily KO an opponent who is still at 80% damage. So what if the timing's off a little? Practise makes perfect.

6. He's the king of comebacks.
Everyone's seen them. Matches that seemed lost suddenly took a turn for the best. Players managing two KO's in the last instant of a battle. The thing is that Lucario players see this all the time: Louie get's aura boost just by staying behind stock in a match, and that adds up with the normal aura boost from damage. This means that you have a HUGE chance of comeback if you use this correctly. My favorite saying when I'm in the verge of losing is "never say never".

7. Mindgames: so little used, so much potential.
In a traditional match, whoever has high damage is on the bad end and whoever has low damage is on the good end. Take that and throw it in the trash: whenever Lucario is high in damage he isn't unduly worried: his opponent is due to his increase in damage and priority. Watch his aura sphere charge at 30% and then see it charge at 170%. Tell me if that isn't scary.

8. Air combat (can't get much better than this)
Count with me: we have one quick and linking air attack (front air), one with decent knockback and great priority (neutral air), an excelent juggling tool that just leaves opponents at our mercy (up air), another one that is surprisingly quick and equally painful (back air), and, the coupe d'gras, a ridiculously strong attack with insane speed that actually stops all momentum in the fall (doun air, we sing you praises). Good enough: oh yeah don't forget these are all with disjointed hitboxes. Bring it all up and you have a ridiculously powerful air fighter with few to match. What do you make of that?

I wish people would look beyond the "LULZ POKEMAHN!!" idea and gave Lucario a try. He's one hell of a character.
Personally i love lucario, i played him for a good time to use him as my anti-snake. But i got 2 stocked by the last snake i played which kinda of crushed it for me... did better with my main. But at any rate great character great at gimping.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
After reading all this I'm starting to think that trying to broadcast Lucario as the next melee Shiek could be a bad thing!

I can understand the importance of having a strong following for the character's development, but the last thing we would want is for people to start overrating & bashing him for being too popular.

I personally would rather has a nice small yet STRONG following for Lucario rather than a whole bunch of idiots that just pick him up because he won a bunch of tourneys.
THIS is what I wanted: people to notice he's a character that has potential. I'm not talking about an insane number of players who use him because he's strong (actually you need to practise with him a lot, hence why he's so underrated now). I know it's best to have a cult following that destroys tourneys every now and then but I just want people to see him as more than "Mewtwo 2.0".

Personally i love lucario, i played him for a good time to use him as my anti-snake. But i got 2 stocked by the last snake i played which kinda of crushed it for me... did better with my main. But at any rate great character great at gimping.
Gimping... oh yeah good point. XD

...You see-
...uh-
...obviously-
...well-
...Bears have a tendency to-
...the point of the matter is-
...**** you, Milln
this is freaking PLATINUM!! hehehe...
too bad infi already sigged before I did... ah well...

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Lucario looks pretty neat. However, one thing that has turned me off quite a bit is the difficulty I have with getting KO's out of him. Unless I'm decently damaged, most of his moves don't have significant knockback.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Lucario looks pretty neat. However, one thing that has turned me off quite a bit is the difficulty I have with getting KO's out of him. Unless I'm decently damaged, most of his moves don't have significant knockback.
it's natural, however at 60-70% you already have a good chance of KO'ing him. this IS one of his problems, but by actively going after the opponent after knocking him off the stage you can still KO him even with low %.
(trying to update this. hold still...)

EDIT: updated! comments?

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Brings me to another good reason (which may have actually been mentioned before). Lucario is amazing at off-stage combat. He can throw someone off the stage, follow them for a good distance and get back to the stage without any problems. Wall of Pain ftw

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Take Ike off and put in Sheik or whoever you like.
This is why I don't like tier lists in the first place. A story I tell some times around here is that one of my friends used to play with Mewtwo since the first day he unlocked him (back when Melee had only just launched). He'd go to practice, try loads of different strategies, use the most of his superior wavedashing, and loads of other stuff. He practised like crazy and he'd still beat the crap outta me loads of times (I used to play Samus a lot). However, when the first tier List pointed him out into bottom tier, he just looked at it, shrugged, checked to see where Samus was and quickly scanned the top tiers, only to call me for another match soon afterwards. He continued with Mewtwo because he liked him (die-hard Pokemon Red fan XD), and he would always work to make the best out of him. Note: I have never, ever seen another person use Mewtwo without placing their token on random.
I know for a fact that people who want to fight competitively would need to pick high-tier characters, and I see nothing wrong here. I just don't like the idea that people will ignore low-placed characters for the simple fact that they are, well, low tiered, even if they will never fight competitively. Among friends what really counts is really having fun. One buddy of mine always said: "If you're not having fun, then you're not playing right", wich in a nutshell means pick any character and go have some fun. Screw tiers, they spoil people into thinking "he's bad because he's mid!!"
While you've got a point yet again, I have seen and heard of many situations in which a group of casual friends would have less fun or just quit the game entirely because one person was constantly winning. A human 'normality' or 'habit' (can't find the right word for it) is wanting to win. Thus, when the losing player would lose the whole time with a certain character, in most of the cases he would either get to dislike the game or stop playing. When they would find out they were using 'bad' characters a.k.a. low/bottom tiers, and see those top tiers up on a list, they would try again with a high tier that suits their style, naturally win more of the time and have more fun. Should this result in the other players losing too often, they would have heard of the tiers and also change to a higher tiered character, etc. etc.
This is how most groups of friends end up playing top tiers. Of course, this theory doesn't apply to every single group of friends, but this is generally how it should work.

Tallen said:
One last thing on tiers: Peach was initially called as mid tier. Only when people began to win tourneys with her did she get any attention. The result is that she began to be used by many more people, which developed loads of metagame that raised her tier even more.
Sorry for ranting. There are just some things I wished to get off my chest. I just wished so badly people saw things my way.
Completely true. That's all.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
We need a picture of Lucario on a cross with a gigantic aura. I bet we could start a cult.
Pretty sure that's blasphemy dude =p. Oh, wait, Lucario is Jesus.

Tallen man this is one of the truest threads I have ever read in my entire life =p. There has been lots of talks on his apparently to-be low spot on the tier lists, but these points just really show how wrong this could be. I don't mind tiers either. Great thread man.

I agree with methodic that you should include his very good gimping ability, with d-air and f-air. Oh yeah, and n-air...and b-air, and.........

Like the updated info in green.

I wish people would look beyond the "LULZ POKEMAHN!!" idea and gave Lucario a try. He's one hell of a character.
Quoted. For. Truth.

And sigged.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
While you've got a point yet again, I have seen and heard of many situations in which a group of casual friends would have less fun or just quit the game entirely because one person was constantly winning. A human 'normality' or 'habit' (can't find the right word for it) is wanting to win. Thus, when the losing player would lose the whole time with a certain character, in most of the cases he would either get to dislike the game or stop playing. When they would find out they were using 'bad' characters a.k.a. low/bottom tiers, and see those top tiers up on a list, they would try again with a high tier that suits their style, naturally win more of the time and have more fun. Should this result in the other players losing too often, they would have heard of the tiers and also change to a higher tiered character, etc. etc.
This is how most groups of friends end up playing top tiers. Of course, this theory doesn't apply to every single group of friends, but this is generally how it should work.
well Coen, I gotta give in, you're absolutely right yet again. Still to me it's just annoying that this kind of stuff should happen. I'll admit: I live in a dream world in which every character was just perfectly balanced. But, sadly, that's just impossible. There are just too many factors. Speed, damage, weight, priority, and not one developer is capable of saying "this is perfectly balanced now". This isn't like Virtua Fighter or Tekken, in which you could pick a character simply because of his looks, practise a lot and still rock the house in tournaments. I just wish it were.
woops I'm ranting again. Good observations Coen. Wish there were more people like you around who actually think before typing =D.
This is just another reason for me to keep updating this, though. I hope more and more people read this and get my point as well. Keep it coming guys!!

PS: Trapt and everyone else, thanks loads for the support (It's one of the reasons I like Lucario's board, everyone's so nice XD). I'll keep this updating with all the information I can get so everyone get's to use the most of Louie.
Keep the flow going! Here's for the Aura Wielders!

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Ha. I'm an Aura Wielder. I never thought about that.

Tallen I'm curious about your sig. What exactly should I never say never about? You mean comebacks?

It looks sweet by the way =D.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
never give up. never surrender. never concede defeat. never say never.
something along the lines XD it's really a title/achievement in Tales of Symphonia. If you revive the same character five times in the same battle she'd get the "Never say never" title (achievement).
it grew into me XD either way I thought it would work well with how Louie is great with comebacks.

and yeah Aura Wielder is really catchy too. Or it could be Aura guardian, Aura dancer, or watever you want.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
^^Ha cool.

So what points, if any, do you plan on adding on why Lucario is teh shiz? Ha. I suggest one about gimping. But maybe what you have is plenty.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
i love lucario but i love this thread even more, you speak the truth
it's my policy: I'm not hiding any weaknesses Lucario has in here. Instead of trolling around calling people names I take the more calm side and try to be more rational.

I'll try to update tomorrow. Gimps and more as soon as I can =D

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Ok cool Tallen is teh makin some more awesome updates. In gimping definetly talk about f-air and d-air, but make it a point on gimping that is unique from other characters. That is the point of this thread (or at least one point).

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
O_O I didn't even notice that...
...I know you hacked a 1 to your post time, HAX!

Oh, and Tallen, it might be just my pickiness, but your reason for mindgamez doesn't really sound like a mindgame. I could've sworn mindgamez were more like AADoubleTeam or a Pseudo-sticked Float Palm or rolling around like a matador or something.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
UPDATED!!
Ho-ho-ho-hooly crap that took long enough. Sorry about it but I had too much to do this last week XD Either way I'm fresh out of ideas for future updates. If anyone has anything to add please let me know okay?

shi

Smash Rookie
Number 6 is so incredibly true. How many Lucario's haven't been losing by 2 stocks just to come back and win it? (assuming a 3 stock match)

Reason number 7. You charge an aura sphere, it's about the size if Lucario's head. You wait for a bit, and take some damage in that time... then watch your opponent go OMFG at the aura sphere which is now the size of bowser.
HAR HAR my friend actually said that the first time he played me with luc:laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom